• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to chill with the hyperbole. If it's a bad movie, that's all it is, it's not the end of the world. A new SW movie is coming in 2022, the Obi-Wan show is next year. It's all good.
Yup. Sure, the Star Wars film helmed by an infamously bad writer wasn't very good, but at least we have a film from the genius minds behind TV's Game of Thrones coming in 2022

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
there are tons of spoilers out there of all sorts. if y'all really wanna go in blind, you need to get off the internet now lol

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have a right to be upset though? Despite there being an Obi-Wan show coming and whatever doesn't take away from the fact that the sequel trilogy damaged the story of the original 6 films.
People have a right to feel however they feel. The hyperbole is grating, though and SW discussion would be much healthier without it.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
So honestly, I'm really withholding judgment until I see the movie. But one takeaway I think people are already having from reviews, and studios should have as well, is this:

If you're planning on a trilogy, you HAVE to plan to keep the same director on for all 3. You can't do this shit with swapping out directors mid-trilogy because it never works the way you want it to. If I'm writing a book, I don't have someone else come in and write the middle portion while I come back later and finish it off.

DC learned this the hard way-- if you can't commit to a director long term, and there's nothing wrong with not wanting to-- then don't have one start off a trilogy just to swap them for someone completely different later on. Disney is learning this now (or over the past couple years, I presume.)

But you're probably better off just not doing trilogies. How many have been good all the way through?
The original Star Wars trilogy
Indiana Jones
Lord of the Rings
...Captain America, I guess?

It's not like there's some rich history of trilogies always succeeding and being both commercial and critical successes.
Tdk trilogy and John wick as well

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's only a few more years until TLJ haters rationalize their hatred with "Star Wars was never good."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This snippet from the Collider review is what kills me, it's my problem with so much of the new SW crap today:

Collider said:
Star Wars isn't just iconography or junk you liked from your childhood. It can be so much more than that, and it means so much more to countless people. The Rise of Skywalker renders the Skywalker Saga into something cheap, frail, and easily disposable.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Got spoiled on something ambiguous but if its true, I don't even want to go see the movie despite having the AMC sub lol. Christ that's a walk out the movie theater kind of thing for me. Will catch it on Disney+ 7 months from now or something.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
I just really want to know if R2-D2 got the shaft for a third time. Can't believe how underutilized he has been.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know. I've liked the guy in everything he's in since TFA.
giphy.gif

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Every single one of them has already torrented it.
Basically, Disney marketing a show everybody will already have pirated when it officially releases here.
Europe still doesn't have Disney+ but everyone has torrented it
Everyone probably already watched it.
Because it is already airing and many people already watched through other means.

Ah, got it. Seems rather obvious in hindsight, lol. Guess I'm one of the few European Star Wars fans who didn't watch it yet, lol. Even after Disney+ launched here, I will probably wait until all episodes are up. Really don't get why they are handling this like it was airing on TV instead of going the Netflix route. Binge-watching it a thing, Disney.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It didn't really feel like he contributed much though. His whole storyline was a wild goose chase.

That is a result of the movie being the penultimate movie where pretty much everything goes wrong to set up the big struggle in the next movie. In ESB, all Luke's action did was lose him his hand & his best friend. In Infinity War, the heroes could have just given up at the start and the outcome wouldn't have been much different. It's all about the journey & how it affects the characters.

Last edited:

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Posting Spoilers in a Non-Spoiler Thread, Derogatory Language, and Numerous Prior Infractions
TFA created alt right memes that Disney was trying to cuck white men with Finn, but RoTS ends with Finn getting cucked by Ren. Bravo.
Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator:

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Just saw it with the lady, we both loved it, had so much fun and she got a good warm feeling at the end.

I really enjoyed tfa, was totally OK with tlj, and I'd say this was my favorite of the 3, a good fantasy adventure.