• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many dull sword and sorcery RPGs like PoE and not enough science fiction, so this stands out right away to me.

Hehe to each his own. PoE is a fine setting for an rpg and overall a stellar game. Don't get me wrong, I like sci-fi too but just based off the footage I've seen this reeks of Bethesda Fallout games which is not a good thing. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I I like what I'm playing come Friday.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If your first response to someone not liking a thing you like is a personal attack, you should probably reconsider your priorities

I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm wondering what kind of legitimate arguments would you like to see made against someone not liking the thing you like.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hehe to each his own. PoE is a fine setting for an rpg and overall a stellar game. Don't get me wrong, I like sci-fi too but just based off the footage I've seen this reeks of Bethesda Fallout games which is not a good thing. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I I like what I'm playing come Friday.
I honestly think PoE has one of the most generic settings ever. I also really didn't like the gameplay of either 1 or 2.

A first person sci-fi table top RPG experience is like gold dust for me.

Dec 28, 2017
I have to choose between this game or call of duty. I need some ps4 pro impression and how is the exploration part integrated in the game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to see this game reviewing so well. I had great hopes for it and it looks like it's living up to it.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Hopefully by the time I've finished Disco Elysium in December some time the inevitable bugs and hickups in Outer Worlds will have been patched and optimized.

Think I'm gonna play as a shotgun wielding, sweet talking lady badass ala classic Pam Grier, but in space.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the Game Pass version share the same achievements with the Xbox version, as well as cross-save?

(And how does that work with Gears 5? Also cross-save/achievements?)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen people state that it might be transitioning to a AAA experience. I remember people quoting Avellone, but cannot bother to look for it.
I hope not. I want it in the same style as Pillars 1+2. I just love the look, feel and gameplay of these two. They are among the most beautiful CRPGs. Isometric view with pre-rendered backgrounds is something we don't see often enough nowadays. Let them make something else with an AAA budget.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can I play without companions? I always found having them kinda ruining atsmosphere a bit due to how janky they were in NV or bethesda games

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm wondering what kind of legitimate arguments would you like to see made against someone not liking the thing you like.

There isn't one. Different people like different things. You can assess the opinion and compare the criticisms without downplaying the validity of it.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for turn-based, but what do you like about isometric?
I was mostly joking, but...

It can help simplify the creation of assets (backgrounds, characters, props), thereby reducing production budgets and/or empowering developers to create more stuff, more content, focus on quest and encounter design rather than having to design and polish highly complex 3D environments. It helps democratize access to the game, especially on older PCs. It allows for a God's eye view of a tabletop-esque battlefield, which is more conducive to the kind of combat—and combat systems—that I enjoy. It stops RPG designers from fuckign about with poorly implemented first-person shooting that is less viscerally satisfying than actual first-person shooting and less mechanically interesting than more traditional (or experimental!) RPG combat. It presents useful abstractions that aid the player's imagination, so people don't jabber all the livelong day about how the 3D-model voice animations looks "janky."

(I do like exploration in first-person games, and there are some truly fantastic first-person CRPGs past [Eye of the Beholder] and present [Grimrock), but every Bethesda first-person RPG since Morrowind has been largely miserable to me, and Outer Wilds is very much in that tradition.)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Let me expand on this. The combat has not evolved since Morrowind. The "moral choices" look to be the same "romp through muck" as any other game in the past two decades. Additionally the 50s sci-fi setting is a big turn off.
tenor.gif

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
title of eurogamer review: The Outer Worlds review - RPG comfort food that never stretches the imagination

since the very first reveal, this's what this game's looked like to me - pure 'hey, haven't i already played this game?' while i'm sure i'll enjoy it, it does look to be just about as 'conventionally unconventional' a game as you'd ever wanna see. i'll be very surprised if i enjoy it anywhere near as much as i did fallout 4. we'll see...