• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, that was disappointing. It was a lot of flash but very little substance. I do give them credit for having the budget to sustain a space battle for over nine minutes (and loved Joel McNeely's John Williams-ish music) but I felt completely distanced from it. If anything, it reminded me of the sterile opening battle from SW: Episode 3.

I don't buy Isaac's turn at all. First, it was predictable. Second, he has no emotions so why? The show doesn't bother to explain. It just happens. We're supposed to believe that he cares about Claire and her kids but again, he has no emotions. Is he different? Is it because he's a later model, as mentioned? None of this felt adequately set up.

Still, there are some things of interest here, mainly in going forward. Both the Krill Alliance and Isaac cut off from his race have storytelling potential. I just wish the path to get there was a little more risky.

They did set it up. He had program bugs after his "breakup" with the doctor, and was constantly trying to weasel the humans out of death the entire episode. Its a pretty cliche "am robot no emotions oh wait i do shucks" plot.

Episode was great, though. This show has no business being as great as it is.

Ps:
bring back halston sage >:(

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know right? I got into Star Trek like 3-4 years ago when I watched TNG for the first time out of the blue, and fell in love. How lucky that right after I finished Voyager, and thus pretty much the last of that era of Trek, they not only bring out The Orville but also announce a new Picard series. I picked the best time ever to become a new star trek fan, haha. It's come back so hard.

I like the Orville way, way more than the official Star Trek show running right now. This is pitch perfect for a TNG2.

Did you watch Enterprise?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was quite a space battle. I would guess they spent a majority of their season's special FX budget on this episode.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was a great battle, in terms massive ship count battles it beats anything Trek has done I think. So many angles, turns and camera chases.

As to the story, I was hoping a little more than brute force to beat the Kaylon, but they way it was done was well enough.

I think the Krill may ask the Union's help with that race that blew up their ship when they kidnapped Ed.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Hugh saved them, we knew he would.

The Battle at Wolf 359 was awesome.They must have spent a good part of their budget on it.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hugh saved them, we knew he would.

The Battle at Wolf 359 was awesome.They must have spent a good part of their budget on it.

They had three ship designs in the entire battle:

Mechanical Eyeball
Green Romulan Dustbuster
Small, Medium, and Large Toilet seat.

I'm sure the VFX R&D was quite cheap.

Sure looked pretty, tho.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had three ship designs in the entire battle:

Mechanical Eyeball
Green Romulan Dustbuster
Small, Medium, and Large Toilet seat.

I'm sure the VFX R&D was quite cheap.

Sure looked pretty, tho.
Kaylon had two designs, Krill had the small fighters, and between Union types there were 7 or 8 ship designs at least.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just watched it. Man that battle was fantastic.
I was tense during the whole thing, sad to see so many Union ships destroyed and shouting for the damn Krill to show up and help.

Loved seeing Gordon in the smaller fighter. Wasn't expecting that.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
This episode was awesome! Those effects were insane! I wonder if him and his team are working on something bigger and using this episode as a proof of concept. Because they are right, I have never seen anything VFX wise that amazing for TV.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The Krill had their sworn enemy just where they wanted...so they left?

As far.as the vfx goes, if you haven't seen anything better I suggest you check out Discovery. It's the best looking show (and probably the most expensive) show ever on TV by far.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So we get to see how the Klingons - err - I mean Krill end up joining The Union. We also have our Borg now in the Kaylons.

What an amazing two episodes.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we get to see how the Klingons - err - I mean Krill end up joining The Union. We also have our Borg now in the Kaylons.

What an amazing two episodes.

I thought the mochlins were the klingons

The krill remind me of the dominion, although now that they have a shaky alliance I suppose they also sorta remind me of the romulans.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

As far.as the vfx goes, if you haven't seen anything better I suggest you check out Discovery. It's the best looking show (and probably the most expensive) show ever on TV by far.

Too bad it has JJ lens flares and a pretentious cinema aspect ratio

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn that was a nuts space battle. I am actually surprised there wasn't a twist with them going back on everything that happened.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

True. As much as i liked the vfx in this episode discovery is at a whole other level. Its movie quality CGI and im not even being hyperbolic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True. As much as i liked the vfx in this episode discovery is at a whole other level. Its movie quality CGI and im not even being hyperbolic.

Discovery is absolutely beautiful, but it just doesn't hold my interest. I watched all of season 1, and I was even one of the few people who liked the Klingon design. I just feel the whole thing is too grim dark for me. The Orville is much more the tone I wanted out of star trek.

I think when people are praising the VFX, they're just surprised to see a show like Star Trek TNG go in such a direction. Space Battles are typically NOT the highlight of a Trek show, even ones that focus on them heavily like DS9.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Episode was fine, but way too predictable and resolved too nicely. Would've loved to see them subvert expectations and let Isaac stay evil (even though he's my favorite character by far), or have the Krill backstab the Union and take over. Either could've led to a cool new status quo, but instead it looks like we'll be back to where we started.

Oct 26, 2017
This show... Sure, just give a member of a race that nearly exterminated the human race to the Orville so it can wander around as it pleases. Even if they didn't chop it up to study it they should have at least kept it around for informational gathering purposes.

Stupid and easily resolved. I wonder if they'll even bother to address all the people that died. If anything this is the episode that highlights the trouble this show has in imitating TNG without the gravitas that a trained Shakespearian actor like Patrick Stewart brought to the show.

I mean the looks Seth was putting on during that battle. He looked mildly annoyed at best.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
If they really wanted to chop up a Kaylon, they still had a dozen or so deactivated specimens laying around the Orville. They could even get Yaphit to reactivate them if that was important.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought the mochlins were the klingons

The krill remind me of the dominion, although now that they have a shaky alliance I suppose they also sorta remind me of the romulans.

The Krill remind of the Klingons because they're aggressors in the early years of The Union, and they're associated mostly with highly ritualistic beliefs, strong military tacticians, and a predilection to cloaking. I can kind of see how the Krill can be an analog to the Romulans, but the Romulan religious stances aren't terribly influencing upon their society - if I remember my TNG canon correctly (that's the only series I watched - for example I have no idea who The Dominion are).

My guess is, if the series lasts long enough, an offshoot of some other race will arise as the Romulan analog.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Krill remind of the Klingons because they're aggressors in the early years of The Union, and they're associated mostly with highly ritualistic beliefs, strong military tacticians, and a predilection to cloaking. I can kind of see how the Krill can be an analog to the Romulans, but the Romulan religious stances aren't terribly influencing upon their society - if I remember my TNG canon correctly (that's the only series I watched - for example I have no idea who The Dominion are).

My guess is, if the series lasts long enough, an offshoot of some other race will arise as the Romulan analog.

The dominion are a group of religious fanatics who wage a holy war in Deep Space Nine, heh. I'm specifically referring to the Jem'Hardar part of the Dominion faction. They're actually a race that is bred by a higher race, known as the Founders, as slaves. The Jem'Hadar see the founders as gods and consider themselves expendable weapons to be used. As such, their entire culture is nothing but war and military.

latest

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The dominion are a group of religious fanatics who wage a holy war in Deep Space Nine, heh. I'm specifically referring to the Jem'Hardar part of the Dominion faction. They're actually a race that is bred by a higher race, known as the Founders, as slaves. The Jem'Hadar see the founders as gods and consider themselves expendable weapons to be used. As such, their entire culture is nothing but war and military.

latest

I see. But the Krill seem to consider themselves above all others, right? Seems more inline with Klingons?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. But the Krill seem to consider themselves above all others, right? Seems more inline with Klingons?

The dominion consider themselves above all others, too. They serve the founders, and the founders are rulers of the universe. They consider themselves holy instruments. There is a level above Jem'hadar and below founder called the vorta, who are like priests. They're actually clones of a single person named weyoun. The dominion are pretty much the most interesting thing about Deep Space Nine.

The Jem'Hadar see the Founders, pretty much the exact same way the Krill see Avis.

Oct 2, 2018
great episode. Didnt expect a two parter that concludes with an all out space battle with thousands dead.

This show doesn't really pull too many punches. Kind of hard to see it going back to light comedy after how serious this episode was.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that the first space battle of the season, and the first large scale space battle in the entire series (I don't even remember any specific battles from season 1 although I'm sure there were some), is so high stakes as to determine whether the entire human race is eradicated.

They use space battles sparingly, but when they pull them out, they pack a punch

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The dominion consider themselves above all others, too. They serve the founders, and the founders are rulers of the universe. They consider themselves holy instruments. There is a level above Jem'hadar and below founder called the vorta, who are like priests. They're actually clones of a single person named weyoun. The dominion are pretty much the most interesting thing about Deep Space Nine.

The Jem'Hadar see the Founders, pretty much the exact same way the Krill see Avis.

One correction: The Vorta consist of multiple individuals who are clones. There were other non-Weyoun Vorta.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Discovery is absolutely beautiful, but it just doesn't hold my interest. I watched all of season 1, and I was even one of the few people who liked the Klingon design. I just feel the whole thing is too grim dark for me. The Orville is much more the tone I wanted out of star trek.

I think when people are praising the VFX, they're just surprised to see a show like Star Trek TNG go in such a direction. Space Battles are typically NOT the highlight of a Trek show, even ones that focus on them heavily like DS9.

Full disclosure: I like this show better, as it's more TNG soul food with jokes than discovery. But disco s2 has been MUCH better, and to top it off the effects budget must be insane for it. The opening episode of s2 (check it on YouTube if it's still there for free) looks like a full budget sci fi action movie, complete with slow running explosion sequence. Disco's upped their game.

With that said, this battle was unreal. I pictured those old static ds9 battles or the wolf 359 battle with modern techniques but with a pinch of holy shit star wars battles tossed in. Great stuff for TV, on a show that obviously doesn't have the same gazillion dollar budget that discovery does. Want more!

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
You really think so? I think McFarlane in particular is a terrible actor. Probably the worst of the cast now that Alara is gone.
Maybe it catches my eye because I'm watching it side by side with Discovery.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
You really think so? I think McFarlane in particular is a terrible actor. Probably the worst of the cast now that Alara is gone.
Maybe it catches my eye because I'm watching it side by side with Discovery.
Some of his acting can definitely be criticized, but there's no way he's worse than J. Lee.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Some of his acting can definitely be criticized, but there's no way he's worse than J. Lee.
True, but he's playing a stereotypical fish out of water black or sometimes even hood guy so he's quite limited by that.

They're all pretty bad though.
If anything I would put Bortus and Isak above average, maybe also the doctor.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seth is not a great serious dramatic lead. Funny cartoon voice overs and musical numbers? Great but I find he looks either confused or just perturbed in the more dire situations, like he overcooked his burrito in the microwave.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
TNG wasnt that great with acting. Patrick Stewart was basically carrying the whole team, with Data as an assist Trophy.

Most character revealing moment was Ed telling us he feels like Kermit the Frog. I can see that. I also think McFarland might have taken some classes between seasons.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Whoo boy was that good.

Everyone called Isaacs turn, but it was very satisfying. "Deactivation Complete" indeed.

The space battle was fucking amazing. God damn they spent some money this episode and it was worth it.

The Krill diplomacy arc looks like it begins next and if it's like the other interactions with them so far, it will be awesome to see.

God damn I love this show.
Yeah!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the studio behind the space battle is FuseFX and they put up some clips and green screen footage on youtube

SelfassuredMealyDoctorfish.webp

Awesome. That's a bunch of big shows listed, and that new Tomb Raider movie looked great visually I thought.
The battle and pretty much all the CG in the two-parter looked fantastic.

LOL that moment when he looked over at the Krill pilot was hilarious.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
It is pretty funny that it seems like the Krill could just head straight to Earth and do massive damage but haven't done so yet.

We've seen in other episodes that the Kril have pissed off some very powerful and ruthless races. The fleet they brought would have been stopped by the Union, and they can't strip out all of their fleet or leave themselves open hideously.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I was really concerned for Yaphit when he came oozing out of that Kylon all burned up and silent.

Loved the episode, but I'll be disappointed if there isn't long term fallout for Isaac. Even though he came through he was still cold as hell to everyone leading up to that point.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the episode, but I was genuinely shocked there was no "twist" to the Kaylons' actions. I was absolutely convinced there was gonna be something, but it all played out pretty straightforward, which I guess was a surprising turn in itself.

Shame Carlos Bernard was such a brief role though.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Weird prediction/musings: What if Telaya joins the Orville as a Krill emisery or some part of the crew to garner peace talks with the Union?

She has a report with the crew, she was on the ship already, the orville just lost a teacher - she is a teacher...

Just was thinking about how that character could come back.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Carlos Bernard was such a brief role though.
Yeah was really cool seeing him.

I was really concerned for Yaphit when he came oozing out of that Kylon all burned up and silent.

Loved the episode, but I'll be disappointed if there isn't long term fallout for Isaac. Even though he came through he was still cold as hell to everyone leading up to that point.
Agreed. He looked in rough shape at that moment.

Right, some lingering tension there would be good and interesting.

Weird prediction/musings: What if Telaya joins the Orville as a Krill emisery or some part of the crew to garner peace talks with the Union?

She has a report with the crew, she was on the ship already, the orville just lost a teacher - she is a teacher...

That could be pretty cool.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You mean like Tyler has done on STD, rejoining the crew?

Speaking of Lt. Tyler, I watched an old SG1 episode a few days ago, "The Fifth Man". It's about an alien pretending to be human and one of the SG1 team, his name is Lt. Tyler.

Wtf? I'll never trust a Lt. Tyler in sci-fi again.

OP
OP
AoM

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
New episode tonight.

"Blood of Patriots"
Ed must initiate peace talks with the Krill.