• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Bring back the GOAT Saturn controller design and add modern-style triggers behind L1/R1//Lb/Rb IMO.

It keeps the top of the controller the same, eliminates the "click sticks", are naturally reachable by the thumb with a grip everyone is accustomed to, and as a bonus, benefits fighting games.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the usage. Developers should not bind them in the most used actions. Sprint for example, awful option. I always rebind to LB/L1. The L3/R3 are good enough if the function is less used.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
No, that looks terrible. Clicking sticks is perfectly fine and far preferable to that.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Hot take: L3 and R3 are perfect where they are, and controllers should add L4 and R4 which are activated by pulling the sticks up instead of pushing them in.

Then after that we make it so we can rotate the grip part of the stick like an actual steering wheel, so when we play racing games we can have a mini-wheel.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I feel like this would cause massive problems for Backwards compatibility.
I don't see how. They're just buttons. Moving them wouldn't be a problem in most, likely all, cases.

There's a reason a lot of us who have moved to using back buttons and paddles remap the stick buttons to the paddles: they're more comfortable and, honestly, intuitive to use, than literally pressing your control stick into the controller. I played through all of Dread using the 8bitdo Pro 2 with the stick buttons mapped to the rear buttons and it was so nice not having to press in just for those simple functions.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They should but I wonder if the stick part manufacturers could veto that idea and just keep selling their existing shitty parts.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm generally into more buttons, not fewer. Though I've personally never had an issue with R3 and L3.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
bmxuwynrfpw81.jpg

I don't mind L3/R3. I'll take both of them AND back paddles. Give me all the inputs for more mappable functions in-game.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't go as far as to say I hate their current positions, but on my elite controller and any controller with paddles, I map them to one of them.
Think I'd rather just have the option to map them somewhere else than remove the button from the sticks altogether.
If they contribute to stick drifting/degradation though, at the very least I hope they improve it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to make this an optional thing for people who want it, sure. But I'm not unlearning clicking in the sticks so don't take it away.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Isn't the point of L3/R3 that it's another input without needing more buttons? I don't mind back paddles but L3/R3 are fine as is, they just shouldn't be used beyond an occasional toggle.

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. Programmable paddles are cool but I think game devs need to do the work of simplifying their inputs. If players are annoyed at pressing L3 and R3 the game is doing it wrong.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They should for having to click for functions you use a lot in a game, and not to mention holding them down for that function. Me just spitballing, if they don't do paddles. How about spliting the r1 and l1 buttons and put them l3 and r3 buttons up there. The GPD Win 2 does this and Iove it

deb449ae-a192-446b-bb9b-4f33f115160f.jpg

How about that plus standardized back button/paddles? I'd like to live in that world.

Developers that have "hold"-L3/R3 in their games, I can only assume they were bullied as a child and do that as a form of revenge.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy with the Steam Deck's 4 rear buttons.

Literally every game I've played on it I remap the R3/L3 to be the top rear buttons and it saves my thumbs so much stress.

I wouldn't mind R3/L3 buttons so much of they made the pressure needed to click them in much less, but then I'm sure people would have way more issues accidentally clicking them in if it required less pressure.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
see, the thing is, if you removed them, eventually a manufacturer is gonna be like "hmm we have these sticks... why not make them a button, too?" and we'll be back where we started.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
All controllers should have paddles or buttons on the back vs L3, R3.

The Xbox elite controller is as close to a perfect controller you can get, albeit a tad heavy. If they added gyroscopic aiming it's be 100% perfect

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I know I already said it once in this thread, but wanting to waste a paddle/back button on L3/R3 just seem silly to me. Use them for the face buttons, use them for the d-pad, the buttons that you otherwise need to remove your thumbs from the sticks to use. That being said, the real solution, as always, is for extensible action based button mapping like Steam Input and then just throw as many buttons out there as people will tolerate. Options are better.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Agreed. I hate L3.

I'm actually fine with sticks as buttons if the devs don't require I push one every few seconds, but L3 to sprint has to go.

It's also a worse issue on Xbox as the left stick being higher means you can't press straight down as easily. I just map sprint a back paddle now (the Elite controller 3 needs more buttons) so I can have four face buttons and L3 mapped to paddles.

Oct 25, 2017
I h-a-t-e clicking the sticks. It should be every console manufacturer's goal to relocate those buttons as paddles.

Mar 19, 2020
I like clicking sticks. Always felt super intuitive to me and I much prefer it over holding a shoulder button to run.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I would not touch the triggers or add to the tigger area. If anything add them to the back of the controllers becasue thats where you have 6 fingers hanging off the back doing nothing (middle, ring and pinky) for most players.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Never really seen the R/L 3 buttons as an issue for me, been using them since the dualshock on the PS1. I would be up for the paddles or whatever on the back but that would be more for buttons on the right so I dont need to take my thumb off the right stick. R/L 3 would still be able to be used, so sounds like a win win for me.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I am used to them now but I agree. They're the most unintuitive buttons on modern controllers. Back pedals/buttons should replace it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a cheap 30 dollar Xbox/PC controller at Walmart that has two small programmable buttons on the grips whe to use on my PC. First thing I did was replace the clickable sticks with them and it's great.

It's such a cheap and easy addition to controllers compared to full on trigger paddles, instead we get next to useless touchpads and capture buttons. Why?

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
More than four shoulder buttons would be hell on my fingers especially when it's a game where you use those often. I'll take clickable sticks over that anytime.

Last edited:

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be bold and say that I think controllers could do with having less buttons. L3/R3 are good candidates for removal, I think devs could figure out alternative for those actions. Potentially R1+R2 and L1+L2 could be combined into two large triggers that serve both actions based on pressure sensitivity.

To be honest I kinda feel like the analog nature of analog sticks aren't really used much. In an ideal world you wouldn't have to map run to L3 because you can do that action simply by moving the stick to the very edge, push it halfway to get a regular jog and a slight push for walk. Maybe "adaptive sticks" which work similarly to the PS5's adaptive triggers could help, where pushing to stick all the way to the edge requires a certain level of force?

Ultimately I suppose issues with backwards compatibility and 3rd party development makes it difficult for console makers to make radical changes to controller layouts, like they once did in the past. Even Nintendo's JoyCons are surprisingly conventional outside of the split design.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate clicking the sticks but it's probably because I have like 20 years of muscle memory at this point