• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
The only reason that Regé-Jean Page wouldn't be the obvious choice is if he decided he wants to be the next James Bond instead.

XhZ7diw.jpg

Man I would love to see him as the next Bond.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Cool... although, I would find a Blue Marvel film so much more interesting. Kind of tired of Superman to be honest.

A Coats and Spike-Lee Blue Marvel staring John Davis Washington would lift my soul.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero issue having a black Superman, however I don't know if it the right time for him. I don't trust anything WB/DC has been doing and fear it wouldn't be done properly. On top of that, all the asshats that will come out if it fails at the box office. I'd rather have a major Marvel character be swapped out, because I have way more faith in them at the moment.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If there's any truth to this I hope it isn't Clark/Kal-El. Give it to another character. Val Zod?

I still hope to see more from Henry Cavill, and was pretty sure he'd already signed up for more appearances in the future (Shazam 2? Black Adam?).

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Cavill had the OK from Warner to do another one, or are we getting 2 Superman movies?

Love Cavill it would be super cool if we got 2 movies! I'm not familiar with the black supermen from DC but reading the thread they seem pretty cool, I love the dude from Raised by Wolves so my vote goes to him!

Also is this really a rumor? Seems pretty confirmed going by the link posted.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm super happy that POC get more front and center roles, I just hope they take a Miles Morales approach rather than using the Kal El Story.
Also:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I don't trust anything WB/DC has been doing and fear it wouldn't be done properly.

Cavill: Listen, I'd really like to continue portraying Superman.
WB: Yeah, about that...we're going with a Black Superman for this.
Cavill: Yes, I know. I'm still really interested in the role. Can we talk about how we can make it work?
WB: ......step into my office.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Coates?! That's awesome!

Bummed that this likely means no more Cavill Superman (although honestly its still possible with DC embracing a less connected film universe) but I'd love to see a black Superman story. Bring it!

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This comes across to me as "we're too lazy or just not interested in writing new headlining black characters so we'll just race swap existing white ones"

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good thing, but some real commitment to creating new PoC characters that stand on their own needs to be made.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
If you really wanna commit and sell the idea of multiple timelines for the DCEU and differentiate it from the MCU . . . . this is how you do it. This is the way. Fuck yeah Calvin Ellis!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This comes across to me as "we're too lazy or just not interested in writing new headlining black characters so we'll just race swap existing white ones"

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good thing, but some real commitment to creating new PoC characters that stand on their own needs to be made.

It's not lazy at all. Calvin Ellis is an established comic book character. Clark Kent isn't the only Superman, just like Bruce Wayne isn't the only Batman. This is really no different to a Green Lantern movie having John Stewart as the lead instead of Hal Jordan.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's no book announced, but Calvin Ellis/Superman is shown in the background of the promo image for the current Infinite Frontier DC relaunch (between Nightwing and Starfire).

INFINITE-FRONTIER-Cv0-copy.jpg

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
So if true.. why is a white man making the movie? Has Hollywood learned nothing?
Dude, read up on Coates. Not only is he a black man, but he is an incredibly important voice of the community. Read Between the World and Me and The Case for Reparations. The latter directly inspired the new Watchmen show.

He's a great man.

Jan 18, 2018
JJ:

- Casts a black male lead in Star Wars. Clearly wanted Finn to be a love interest, and a Jedi. Before Rian Johnson came in and walked that shit back.

- Produces first Black Superman movie.

What beast.
He also cut the screen time of Kelly Marie Tran
STILL didn't do shit with Finn in TROS
Made him a janitor
And made two black characters in the movie possible relatives.

this is cool but
let's not pat folks on the back for doing the minimum every time. Especially now when even Jake from State Farm is black. Everybody hopping on the train rn.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cavill: Listen, I'd really like to continue portraying Superman.
WB: Yeah, about that...we're going with a Black Superman for this.
Cavill: Yes, I know. I'm still really interested in the role. Can we talk about how we can make it work?
WB: ......step into my office.
Pretty obvious how it'll work, Clark Kent, Kara Danvers, Val Zod or Calvin Ellis, Kenan Kong, and Captain Carrot come together to fight interdimensional Dominators

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
meh , warner bros management has been a shit show
an more importantly they still haven't made things right with ray fisher over joss whedon, walter hamada an geoff johns, SO FUCK EM
it kinda seems like a way to erase all the bad press

Oct 25, 2017
While cool. There is something funny retrospect knowing that Cyborg was being pitched as the black superhero only to get his own movie and no more cameos due to the mistreatment of Fisher. And now WB is making a black superman movie with a writer known for essays on race and producer who worked on movie series where the black actor so had issues :/
If we're doing fan casts:

Y'lan Noel
YLan-Noel.jpg

or...

Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman
072916-jeffrey-bowyer-chapman-lead.jpg

Well, shit! I must have been asleep when that broke. That's great news.
Only question is beard or no beard

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

this is why people have been mentioning Calvin Ellis and Val-zod. They are their own characters while still maintaining the legacy of the characters that came before them.

it's the beauty of DC tbh. Most of their legacy characters are better than the original

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason that Regé-Jean Page wouldn't be the obvious choice is if he decided he wants to be the next James Bond instead.

XhZ7diw.jpg

I'd never heard of either of these dudes but after looking up some Youtube clips, yeah, they'd both be great fits. They've got the height, looks, and physicality plus the million-dollar smile you associate with Superman.

And yeah, Page also looks like he'd make for a great Bond as well.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
I'm game. Michael B. Jordan would be great too, even if he is the current Sam Jackson of Hollywood.

Surely they'd have to get Ryan Coogler to direct, right? He and MBJ go together like PB & J.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to changing these characters. I don't see the need to make Superman black. How about....less Superman? How about these companies boosting the lesser-known characters and 'validating' them (I hate using that term) pushing that they're in the same cinematic universe or that they're of equal power (or more powerful) than your favorite superhero?

I'd rather WB put the effort and budget that they would put into a full-blown Snyder Superman movie into, say, an ICON movie. It's like there's this desire to make these mega IPs something else to please...who? Who is this for? SCREW those IPs. Let's make the mythologies of Blue Marvel or Spectrum or Miles Morales or Icon or Static or Blue Beetle or Shang Chi with the same budget and attention to detail and marketing muscle that we give the 'cherished' IPs, too?

I guess the idea of seeing Michael B. Jordan or Coates waste their energies on these IPs with all of the baggage and legalities and, frankly, fan-bullsh-- fanaticism, let's work on expanding the visual vocabulary instead of rewriting the dictionary.
Well said.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm all for it even tho I rather get Blue Marvel TBH

As a non American: most of the more obscure superheroes aren't widely known, so for representation a black Superman would get a lot more traction.

Always down for more Michael B Jordan. Get him on board please!

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I got more faith in this than anything else DC-related aside from Pattinson Bats.

If I'm gonna keep it 100% tho, I always thought a Hispanic Superman would be more resonant.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imo, it shouldn't really be a multiverse version or someone else who also has the superman mantle. It should be the main CK superman, not "other version of superman"

I get what you mean, and I don't disagree. I didn't mean it like that. I meant more, now that they have a multiverse, they embrace that and try different things. Things that they would never dare do before. They shouldn't however be going like "Don't worry, folks, this ain't the real Superman." But it's tricky. The Batman isn't set in the DCEU, but I'd be hard pressed to not call that the "main" Batman, since that's the only Batman series we'll be getting in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
Hope they do Val Zod or Calvin Ellis, otherwise it really worries me the studio's going to veer into those old comics.

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

....Also back in the day why did Superman just have one of those?

Although with Coates on board I'm not TOO worried.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate his candor. Sounds like his issue has always been with the executives and their meddling. I s'pose that's why Ray Fisher is so understandably supportive of Snyder's cut of Justice League, because the guy literally gave up his pay to be allowed to make the movie he wanted to. Whether the movie will be any good is irrelevant, but I will be very happy to see all of the hard work minority actors put into the movie being restored.

Kinda just goes to show how much of a scumbag Whedon is too, if he played along with such blatant racism and even worked with Geoff Johns to basically cut all the black people from the movie. Plus, the fuck they mean by "act like Quasimodo"? As if being racist as shit isn't enough, they have to mock disabilities too?