• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
There's actually a black Supes already, and I believe he's part of the Elseworlds story. If anyone can pull this off, its MBJ.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
That's awesome, but if you thought the backlash to Captain Marvel was stupid get ready for something else.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for it! Think Michael B. Jordan would be a great choice. I've also always really liked the idea of Idris Elba playing Superman.
16ed1ea6-bafb-11e8-8bc4-fc59ff6846aa_972x_180835.jpg
He can be the obligatory Jor El cameo.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really wanted another cavill superman, this isn't anything against Michael B jordan or black superman which makes sense but I just wanted him rocking the cape 1 last time.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
JJ Abrams is involved? This is going to be another creative dumpster fire.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Long overdue.

I like Cavil but I also think a black Superman is such a powerful symbol of where this nation is (hopefully) headed. Superman is a very American icon and the idea of him being something other than white is awesome.

Meanwhile, expect lots of heads exploding.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Michael B. Jordan seems like a safe choice. I'd rather it were someone like Omari Hardwick. Dude is a total presence on screen.

iu

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
To my knowledge, one thing DC and Marvel have yet to do is actually make Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent a person of color. They've introduced versions of Batman, Superman or Spider-Man as a person of color but they never outright reboot their original alter-egos as people of color.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he's not Kal El just because Clark Kent is a white ass name.

Though so is Chadwick Boseman so what do I know?

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
This would be awesome. And if they chose this opportunity to reboot it and remake the first movie, who could play his parents?

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'd prefer him to be Clark. Him not being Clark gives them the potential to still keep a white Superman in their backpocket should want to eject. If they're gonna do this, I want them to be all in.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
now we get to wonder is black clark kent or Calvin Ellis

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to changing these characters. I don't see the need to make Superman black. How about....less Superman? How about these companies boosting the lesser-known characters and 'validating' them (I hate using that term) pushing that they're in the same cinematic universe or that they're of equal power (or more powerful) than your favorite superhero?

I'd rather WB put the effort and budget that they would put into a full-blown Snyder Superman movie into, say, an ICON movie. It's like there's this desire to make these mega IPs something else to please...who? Who is this for? SCREW those IPs. Let's make the mythologies of Blue Marvel or Spectrum or Miles Morales or Icon or Static or Blue Beetle or Shang Chi with the same budget and attention to detail and marketing muscle that we give the 'cherished' IPs, too?

I guess the idea of seeing Michael B. Jordan or Coates waste their energies on these IPs with all of the baggage and legalities and, frankly, fan-bullsh-- fanaticism, let's work on expanding the visual vocabulary instead of rewriting the dictionary.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if true.. why is a white man making the movie? Has Hollywood learned nothing?
Abrams is producing it, not directing from what the article says.

its obviously Michael B Jordan but that dude is always playing slightly aggro in everything I've seen him in as of late. its hard for me to picture it.

I think Yahya Abdul Mateen (if they can let him do double duties at DC) or the dude from Raised By Wolves would be really cool.
He was the first person I thought of as well, based on his role in Watchmen. I honestly forgot he was Black Manta in Aquaman. I have to imagine that rules him out for this.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to changing these characters. I don't see the need to make Superman black. How about....less Superman? How about these companies boosting the lesser-known characters and 'validating' them (I hate using that term) pushing that they're in the same cinematic universe or that they're of equal power (or more powerful) than your favorite superhero?

I'd rather WB put the effort and budget that they would put into a full-blown Snyder Superman movie into, say, an ICON movie. It's like there's this desire to make these mega IPs something else to please...who? Who is this for? SCREW those IPs. Let's make the mythologies of Blue Marvel or Spectrum or Miles Morales or Icon or Static or Blue Beetle or Shang Chi with the same budget and attention to detail and marketing muscle that we give the 'cherished' IPs, too?

I guess the idea of seeing Michael B. Jordan or Coates waste their energies on these IPs with all of the baggage and legalities and, frankly, fan-bullsh-- fanaticism, let's work on expanding the visual vocabulary instead of rewriting the dictionary.

I felt somewhat similarly, although someone showed me there was a push for Michael B Jordan as superman so this may feel like less of a hand-me-down. I would rather see an established black superhero being given the feature treatment though (Also i think there's a sort of black superman IN universe with the white superman, not an alternative universe one but like someone with similar powers but I forget his name)

Then again I dont read comics, maybe the alternate universe black supermen have big followings

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I would watch Michael B Jordan Superman. I would also watch a Daniel Ezra Superman, especially as he oozes that total innocence Superman has going on.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
I'm all for it! Think Michael B. Jordan would be a great choice. I've also always really liked the idea of Idris Elba playing Superman.
he's way too old, besides there are more black actors out there than just Idris Elba (or MBJ)

I'm really tired every time a black actor is mentioned for a role it's literally just those two, come on.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017

I think Jordan would be great as Superman but if they're going with a new take on the character on film, I'd really like to see an older actor have a crack at it. Idris would be a really good choice.

Superman needs a fresh take on screen, this is a really smart move. Despite not being a big Abrams fan, I hope the movie turns out great.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Nice they have been trying to do this for a while now based on the Michael B. Jordan news a while back. Now will he be Clark or someone else is the question 🤔.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was a Black Superman in the previously mentioned Grant Morrison comic, so that's initially unexpected yet not incredibly surprising.

I'm all for it, assuming the movie script itself is good and not a disappointment like a fair number of recent superhero projects.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason that Regé-Jean Page wouldn't be the obvious choice is if he decided he wants to be the next James Bond instead.

XhZ7diw.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely nothing about Superman's character that necessitates him being white. He's white because white is "default". In fact, the themes of alienation and discrimination could be much more meaningful if he's not white-passing.