• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's true it is a distinct platform from other consoles. It has zero Game Boy Advance or PC Engine games on it.
N64 has quite a sad library compared to the NES or SNES. Where are the FF games? Chrono Triggers? RPGs at all? Anime/DBZ games? Capcom fighters? Dragon Quests? Arcade ports? Non-terrible Castlevanias?

I had a n64 back in the day when it was new and it really wasn't that great after the shine of Mario 64 and Star Wars wore off at launch. After that it basically became a GoldenEye machine for us. I think I died a little inside the day I rented Quest 64. I fell out of gaming for a while afterwards until I got a PS2 in college.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
No game needs the, quite frankly, obnoxious bloat of FFVIIR. I shouldn't have to wait six years after a game releases to get the whole game.

However, I agree some games would be great to revisit and expand in a remake, but never something that necessitates breaking into parts.
How the fook do you know it's obnoxious? Game releases 20+ years ago on ancient technology. You do know the source material for games and movies are usually 3 and 4 times as long as the actual product. You gotta wait til the game releases to make that type of assumption.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I want an F-Zero X remake. Maybe a shiny new coat of paint will finally make everyone realize/admit it's a better game than GX.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The N64 Castlevania games are fantastic and much better than the flat boring poorly designed games that came after them on PS2.

As for your other comments, I already posted a list earlier in the thread.
I saw the list and have played most of those games, but I don't think that they were mostly great or hold up well. There are only a handful of n64 games I would ever want to revisit.

The N64 castlevania should be compared to Symphony of the Night though imo, it was of the same hardware generation, not PS2.

Castlevania for N64 is widely regarded as the worst game in the main franchise, so I'm not sure that your opinions really reflect how most other people see these games.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First Party
Super Mario 64
Starfox 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Kirby
Wave Race
Pokemon Snap
Mario Party 2/3
Excitebike 64
Super Smash Bros
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf

Rare
Blast Corps
Goldeneye
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Conker

3rd Party
Turok 2
Sin and Punihsment
Castlevania
Goemon
Goemon 2
Mischief Makers
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Star Wars Racer
WCW NWO Revenge
WrestleMania 2000
WWF No Mercy
Rayman 2
Beetle Adventure Racing
Space Station Silicon Valley
Harvest Moon 64
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
World Driver Championship
Sin and Punishment
Body Harvest
Ridge Racer 64
Doom 64
Quake/2
Ogre Battle 64
007 The World is not Enough

Not even touching on solid ports (Resident Evil 2, Tony Hawk, Spider Man, Wipeout 64, Starcraft 64) and stuff that was great at the time but has been replaced (Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1, sports games like All Star Baseball and International Superstar Soccer 98)

'maybe 5 decent'

OK lets see if this matches mine list at all, so 10 great games:
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Mario Party 2/3
Super Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Perfect dark
Banjo Kaziooe

5 Decent:

I'll count these as 1 entry because they're very close, No Mercy maybe takes it:
WCW NWO Revenge
WrestleMania 2000
WWF No Mercy

Star wars Rogue Leader
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Turok 2
Star Fox 64

Now, I'm not saying the rest of what you said are bad games, they're not ones I'd consider fantastic must plays, now also keep in mind I'm not including ports either here and looking at this list, this maybe what you could expect from a N64 mini aside from licensed games perhaps

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Now, I'm not saying the rest of what you said are bad games, they're not ones I'd consider fantastic must plays, now also keep in mind I'm not including ports either here and looking at this list, this maybe what you could expect from a N64 mini aside from licensed games perhaps
I hope you know every game you quoted to attest that what you left out are "less than decent".
For example I would take Doom 64 over Turok 2 any day of the week.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Castlevania for N64 is widely regarded as the worst game in the main franchise, so I'm not sure that your opinions really reflect how most other people see these games.
That's just outright false buddy.

It was a well reviewed game at release.

Just a couple of days ago DF Retro did a playthough talking about how it's a great game for the era

And many people outright love the game

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
OK lets see if this matches mine list at all, so 10 great games:
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Mario Party 2/3
Super Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Perfect dark
Banjo Kaziooe

5 Decent:

I'll count these as 1 entry because they're very close, No Mercy maybe takes it:
WCW NWO Revenge
WrestleMania 2000
WWF No Mercy

Star wars Rogue Leader
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Turok 2
Star Fox 64

You don't have to like every game but it is ludicrous to call:

Rayman 2
Sin and Punishment
Banjo Tooie
Blast Corps
Ogre Battle 64
Excitebike 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Harvest Moon 64

'Sub-decent' games.

Rayman 2 is one of the best ever 3D platformers. Indiana Jones was possibly the single best action adventure game of that style the generation. Excitebike 64 is absolutely superb. World Driver Championship had easily the best graphics of the generation.

You really want to say Banjo Tooie was an outright bad game? Less than decent? What?

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's just outright false buddy.

It was a well reviewed game at release.

Just a couple of days ago DF Retro did a playthough talking about how it's a great game for the era

And many people outright love the game
Some who were fans of the game originally will of course look back on it fondly, but if you google "worst castlevania games", C64 is near the top of most lists.

(Skip to 7:10)

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a modern reimagining of Body Harvest. The idea had potential but was gimped by the hardware and excessive use of fog

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Nintendo's current first party output to their N64 one makes me really doubt there is much benefit to remaking those games.
What would a modern remake of Mario 64 or OoT bring to the table that any Mario or Zelda in the last 20 years hasn't?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Some who were fans of the game originally will of course look back on it fondly
I literally linked to two contemporary to release reviews that said it was a great game. Nothing about 'looking back fondly' they were written at the game's release.

Doesn't fit your false narrative so you ignored them though it seems.

And using AVGN as the lone 'source' for claims about something being 'widely regarded' is an absolute lol.

I just don't see how anyone could consider it 'fantastic'

It's orders of magnitudes worse to play than Castlevania I, II, III, IV, Rondo, Symphony, etc.
Opinions, how does that work. 'orders of magnitudes worse to play' - it's a completely different style of game as a 3D action adventure and isn't directly comparable.

But I thought we weren't talking about your opinion? You claimed there was consensus that it was bad. I proved otherwise with time of release and contemporary sources.

And as for my opinion, I'd rather play Castlevania on N64 than Symphony again, it has actual good level design instead of repetitive, poor level design and poor action design dressed up with very nice graphics. But that's my opinion, unlike you I'm not trying to project my opinion as the 'general consensus'.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
N64 deserves nothing. There isn't a single N64 game that I would like to play with the exception of Rare's output.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's rough having the N64 be your favourite console. It just doesn't get the love the NES and SNES get.
The N64 has some vocal haters but overall it's lucky to be as praised as it is. Mainstream top 100s always have some high ranking N64 games while Sega, NEC, Atari, etc.'s histories are disappearing from being noticed more and more each year.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of the good games have gotten remakes or remasters already:
OoT/MM 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Mario 64 DS
Conker

Just about my entire n64 library in a quote. Now I only have the two zelda games, Mario, and two wrestling games. Never did click with the n64 or dreamcast. Every other system I played and supported like crazy

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'd love a Mario 64 remake and WaveRace 64 remake for Switch. I'd also be happy if they ported the Zelda 3DS remakes to Switch and just improved resolution/filtering etc...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I literally linked to two contemporary reviews that said it was a great game. Nothing about 'looking back fondly' they were written at the game's release.

Doesn't fit your false narrative so you ignored them though it seems.

And using AVGN as the lone 'source' for claims about something being 'widely regarded' is absolute lol.

Opinions, how does that work. 'orders of magnitudes worse to play' - it's a completely different style of game as a 3D action adventure and isn't directly comparable.

And as for opinion, I'd rather play Castlevania on N64 than Symphony again, it has actual good level and action design instead of repetitive, poor level design and poor action design dressed up with very nice
"False narratives"
"Castlevania 64 > SotN"

Many n64 games reviewed well in their day because the graphics were new and flashy. Many don't hold up well today though, that's why so often they are viewed much differently now than they were originally released. 2D games of the time like SotN often can stand the test of time though, and most gamers would say that Symphony is still a classic today - maybe why it's been re-released on modern consoles. Even the NES trilogy holds up pretty great today.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue they are average games after that list
Good, let's argue.
What's average about Wave Race 64?
A 3D water racing game released in 1996 that used physics simulation for the waves to make the race dynamic and that is still fun to play to this day?

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please no. Enough N64 nostalgia and enough of remakes that only cater to people who are obsessively wallowing in nostalgia. Especially sad in this case, as the FFVII Remake won't even recapture or replace the original for the people who are demanding a remake in the first place. There are also a sizeable amount of people who dislike OOT 3D and that was faithful remake. Please just stop and make new and far more intresting games instead. I am sick and tired of people screaming about their (way shitier than they remmeber) childhood on the internet.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

I'm not going to sit here and try to compare the library to Playstation, but it's worth owning IMO, and that's considering the bigger titles that have already seen serviceable releases on different platforms.
I mean, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, and the Goemon games alone make it worth it. Plus stuff like Mischief Makers, Sin & Punishment, F-Zero, and Diddy Kong Racing.

I'm not gonna claim the system has the best library (it doesn't) and most of the best games are available elsewhere. But there are still worthwhile experiences on the console you can't get anywhere else.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to like every game but it is ludicrous to call:

Rayman 2
Sin and Punishment
Banjo Tooie
Blast Corps
Ogre Battle 64
Excitebike 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Harvest Moon 64

'Sub-decent' games.

Rayman 2 is one of the best ever 3D platformers. Indiana Jones was possibly the single best action adventure game of that style the generation. Excitebike 64 is absolutely superb. World Driver Championship had easily the best graphics of the generation.

You really want to say Banjo Tooie was an outright bad game? Less than decent? What?
Rayman 2 is great but I wouldnt recommend the N64 version (and that's the version I grew up playing). Dreamcast version is definitive and the modern ports of the game are also really good.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, and the Goemon games alone make it worth it. Plus stuff like Mischief Makers, Sin & Punishment, F-Zero, and Diddy Kong Racing.

I'm not gonna claim the system has the best library (it doesn't) and most of the best games are available elsewhere. But there are still worthwhile experiences on the console you can't get anywhere else.

I actually never got around to playing (or owning) Goemon's Great Adventure. The price is prohibitive here lately, but I've been close to picking it up two or three times. That whole series is just wonderful, lack of translations be damned.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Rayman 2 is great but I wouldnt recommend the N64 version (and that's the version I grew up playing). Dreamcast version is definitive and the modern ports of the game are also really good.
It's good enough but you could just substitute it with Rocket Robot on Wheels, the first 3D Platform game developed by Sucker Punch.
It has a few flaws (like the camera) but its reliance on puzzles make it stand out from other 3D platform games of the period.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually never got around to playing (or owning) Goemon's Great Adventure. The price is prohibitive here lately, but I've been close to picking it up two or three times. That whole series is just wonderful, lack of translations be damned.
GGA is really good, more similar to the SNES games than Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
It's good enough but you could just substitute it with Rocket Robot on Wheels, the first 3D Platform game developed by Sucker Punch.
It has a few flaws (like the camera) but its reliance on puzzles make it stand out from other 3D platform games of the period.
Yeah Rocket is a good game.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I keep getting @'d :(

But honestly though Quest 64 had a lot of good ideas with it's combat/magic that could be improved upon with a remake. Especially if it looks more like the manual artwork in a cel shaded style

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
BotW 2 and Banjo have had me thinking about the N64 these days, and it makes me wish Nintendo took the console more seriously.

Forget about an N64 mini... it's been long enough, that we should get FFVII style remakes for the 20 -30 amazing games on that platform.

It's clear Nintendo's forgotten about VC on the switch, so I'm not too hopeful.
I'd actually prefer some like FF VIII remaster and the 3ds versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Keep the game mostly the same, but improve the graphics while being deeply reminiscent of the original.

Speaking of, they should use the assets from ffvii remake to also do a remaster.

OP
OP
NookSports

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually prefer some like FF VIII remaster and the 3ds versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Keep the game mostly the same, but improve the graphics while being deeply reminiscent of the original.

Speaking of, they should use the assets from ffvii remake to also do a remaster.
Yeah, I hadn't fully realized how insane FFVII was. I think something more like RE2 remake would be great for games like OoT and MM. More than just uprez+better textures, but not completely changing the gameplay

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Yeah, I hadn't fully realized how insane FFVII was. I think something more like RE2 remake would be great for games like OoT and MM. More than just uprez+better textures, but not completely changing the gameplay
I think the best way to think about what I want would be a PS1 game switched to PS2 late in development. Some texture and model rework, but no substantive changes to gameplay.

PS1/N64 era 3D games are often quite rough. PS2 and GameCube may not always have much in the way of lighting and shading that you see now, but texture resolution and polygon processing were really a huge step above PS1 and N64.

I've been playing FFVII on the Switch lately and the lighting and the difference between the 3D render resolution and the backgrounds is quite jarring.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Where are my Funtastic Switches?
v8iu3wg.jpg

This is still one of the most beautiful lineups of consoles ever seen.

I love you N64, you beautiful bastard.