• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EmSeta

Oct 29, 2017
Argh, how the hell do I get through the
Dark Cave
?

And how do I get to the "other side" of the
cloud city
? I always seem to be in the "wrong" dimension.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Argh, how the hell do I get through the
Dark Cave
?

And how do I get to the "other side" of the
cloud city
? I always seem to be in the "wrong" dimension.
You need true sight

which you get from the leader in the ninja village after bringing him astral leaves

which you have to plant in the soil next to the two giants in the past, and harvest in the future

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
for someone like me that doesn't play a ton of platformers - this game is pretty hard. huge spike in difficulty from glacier peak onwards imo. can be pretty frustrating

the hat joke with the shopkeeper was really good

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess this might be part of the charm of the game or whatever but I could really use more...directions...

I'm at the beginning of the Metroidvania part and I just don't know where to go? I kinda just run around aimlessly...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I refunded this game. It's so boring. Seriously I was playing for like 30 minutes waiting for it to have any semblance of actual.. challenge? The enemies are practically useless and the levels are like 90% filled up with filler platforming. I beat like 2 bosses and had to check online for what the later parts of the game looked like.

This is nothing like Ninja Gaiden. It's sooooooooooo bad.

and low key the fucking gems were just an added chore that did nothing for the game.

I would agree for the first oh...5 or so levels. Had this aching feeling that the concept was dead-on but the execution was off.

Felt it turned around when I hit the peak of the mountain(lvl 6 or so?) as the screens began to test your acumen at handling your cloudstep, grapple, and other tools. The temple stage was the first one to have me sit straight and focus, which was a nice change. Enemies were more plentiful and placed accordingly to require a bit of attention and concern. New danger obstacles were cleverly used. The optional challenge secret rooms were especially great to attempt for unlocking coins. Beyond that, the shopkeep dialogue remained hilariously on point.

Still, the early stages could have ramped up the challenge for sure, but I'd argue you made a mistake jumping off too soon. No big deal.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the wing suit could be mapped to a shoulder button or something, feels cumbersome using the same button as jump when you opt for tackling one of those spiky optional areas requiring it

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So I guess this might be part of the charm of the game or whatever but I could really use more...directions...

I'm at the beginning of the Metroidvania part and I just don't know where to go? I kinda just run around aimlessly...

you can buy tips at the shopkeeper .-) first, go into the portal room to the left side, ask the guy in the robe for a hint, after that go to the shopkeeper to buy a tip for the hint-it will be marked on your map

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without telling me what's in the chest, is the reward worth getting all of the power seals before starting the final area? I'd like to know whether or not I'd be spending extra time for something trivial and non-vital to beating the game. My time with the game needs to come to an end soon because DQXI arrives tomorrow.

Btw, the chase sequence near the end of the game was hard as hell, IMO. If anyone played that and still claims that the game lacks challenge then I guess they're just too cool for school.

Jul 20, 2018

Other than buying tips, which I haven't done yet just because i want to get all the upgrades first, it's not a bad idea to check up on characters you met before throughout the game.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Without telling me what's in the chest, is the reward worth getting all of the power seals before starting the final area? I'd like to know whether or not I'd be spending extra time for something trivial and non-vital to beating the game. My time with the game needs to come to an end soon because DQXI arrives tomorrow.

Btw, the chase sequence near the end of the game was hard as hell, IMO. If anyone played that and still claims that the game lacks challenge then I guess they're just too cool for school.
If you're just in it for the reward then no, collecting the power seals definitely aren't worth it.

I like that they added some of the much needed challenge to the game, but they were an absolute slog to backtrack to.
I think it would've been much better if they were all accessible your first time through the levels.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was iffy on the first half of the game when it was just a linear platformer (although it did get better as it progressed) but the Metroidvania aspects are a real drag. There aren't nearly enough warp points so it's just endless backtracking and not in a fun way. It's still fun for what it is but I know I would have moved on to something else already if the Switch weren't so convenient to play in bed.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the wing suit could be mapped to a shoulder button or something, feels cumbersome using the same button as jump when you opt for tackling one of those spiky optional areas requiring it

Been thinking the same thing. Can really mess you up using the vertical lamps that rise as you slash them too. Sometimes you just hit end up pulling out the suit and downslashing when you wanted to cloudjump and strike the lamp again.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
The endgame of this really sucks the air out of the room.
Why the fuck would you shoehorn a shitty metroidvania style endgame into this? I don't want to comb through the same 17 levels I've beaten and scour over a map to progress.
The pacing of the game falls off a fucking cliff. I think I'm just going to consider this "beat' and move on to DQ. It's so unfortunately bad, the game was great up until this trash.

Last edited:

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever get the ability to warp whenever you want? The spacing of portals is pretty bad.

I was excited to get to the second half of the game but the execution is really disappointing.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Okay, I need to vent. I am in a late game area going after a power seal and the room is covered in pink spiky orbs and the framerate drops to what feels like 20 fps. Over half of my inputs get eaten in this room. I can tell because when I try to slow fall by tapping the jump button it just...doesn't work. I just died for the 30th or so time and quarble said "just blame it on input lag." Well, that joke doesn't fucking work when your game has input lag. Ugh. Both docked and portable mode on the switch have these laggy rooms that really make it a chore to play.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Okay, I need to vent. I am in a late game area going after a power seal and the room is covered in pink spiky orbs and the framerate drops to what feels like 20 fps. Over half of my inputs get eaten in this room. I can tell because when I try to slow fall by tapping the jump button it just...doesn't work. I just died for the 30th or so time and quarble said "just blame it on input lag." Well, that joke doesn't fucking work when your game has input lag. Ugh. Both docked and portable mode on the switch have these laggy rooms that really make it a chore to play.

the last 2 levels of the game felt like walking through molasses on Switch.... and yeah, the input lag joke is unfortunate in this case .-)

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This was happening to me too. I think the game has a memory leak because I had been using just sleep mode for days, and it was getting worse and worse. When I actually closed the game and relaunched it, it was a smooth 60fps again.

As for my comment/issue...is anyone else finding the excessive use of backtracking to be ruining the game for them?

There's a section where you need to
backtrack through the first level again after already doing so several times. Go talk to someone in the Ninja village. Take a seed he gives you and backtrack through the first level the opposite way to get to a portal to go and replay the damn crag level again just to go plant a seed. Then you backtrack and replay a section of the crag level right away to advance time, then you portal back and play the first level AGAIN just to go back to the Ninja village and get an item you need to advance the game.

That shit is like, a Game Design 101 no-no. It is also not an isolated design decision. This is a 5 hour game padded out to 20+. It is an absolutely brilliant game with extraordinary level and boss design and it plays with expectations in such a fun way....and then this crap just ruins it.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys...if you're having frame rate or input lag problems... reboot your Switch. This is a known issue. And no, you're not rebooting your system when you put it into sleep mode. Hold down the power button and restart the console.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys...if you're having frame rate or input lag problems... reboot your Switch. This is a known issue. And no, you're not rebooting your system when you put it into sleep mode. Hold down the power button and restart the console.
Since it's probably a memory leak, simply closing the game and relaunching it should suffice.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
As for my comment/issue...is anyone else finding the excessive use of backtracking to be ruining the game for them?

There's a section where you need to
backtrack through the first level again after already doing so several times. Go talk to someone in the Ninja village. Take a seed he gives you and backtrack through the first level the opposite way to get to a portal to go and replay the damn crag level again just to go plant a seed. Then you backtrack and replay a section of the crag level right away to advance time, then you portal back and play the first level AGAIN just to go back to the Ninja village and get an item you need to advance the game.

That shit is like, a Game Design 101 no-no. It is also not an isolated design decision. This is a 5 hour game padded out to 20+. It is an absolutely brilliant game with extraordinary level and boss design and it plays with expectations in such a fun way....and then this crap just ruins it.
The game is definitely not 20+ hours, I don't know where that estimate comes from. Others I've seen in here who got all the power seals took around 12 hours. But I also agree with you, when the game "opens up" it also becomes a slog for a while. Just try and push through to where you unlock new areas because they're pretty great.

superNESjoe

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The game is definitely not 20+ hours, I don't know where that estimate comes from. Others I've seen in here who got all the power seals took around 12 hours. But I also agree with you, when the game "opens up" it also becomes a slog for a while. Just try and push through to where you unlock new areas because they're pretty great.

I just pulled the time from my Switch clock, but I guess it's been counting all the time it's been paused too (I have kids so....it ends up paused and sitting on my counter a lot).

I'm still enjoying it, the game is genuinely very good, but I just don't understand how during playtesting it didn't occur to them that the amount of times they expect players to replay stages to progress is absurd. Probably doesn't help that I've been collecting all the power seals.

reirom

Nov 3, 2017
Hey papangus i am in six Boss the Demons that have fires, eight our into near end ?what the green coins do? What have in This box the shopkeeper Says you Need 42 seals?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Figured i'd post my thoughts on this game while it's still fresh. Keep in mind that for me, the ideal indie game is one that aspires to rival the greats of the peak of 2d (so, 16 bit) rather than the ones who try to be artsy and crap to play. That angle matters a lot in terms of what i'm about to say. Anyways, The Messenger is great, it has some pacing issues but I feel this will be very divisive depending on the player. I appreciate a lot of what it tried to do though. The mechanics are tight and the more they expand the more agency they give you, the more room you can feel like a total badass. I find that the skill barrier will prevent a lot of people from enjoying the backtracking element, for me I liked it most of the time because I could find stylish and reckless ways to get around that made me feel cool while doing it.

With that said the backtracking is a legitimate issue still, it's a bit too padded, it can be largely negated with crystals and hints from the shop keeper but it still needed to be cut down like, half during that segment. With that said though I feel people are calling it the third and final act while I consider it kind of the third act of 4 in a way. There is still a lot of brand new levels and stuff to find to unlock during this backtracking, rather than just slogging through the same stuff to the end, and that matters a lot. Also, being able to revisit everything with the far superior 16 bit visuals and music made it much less like a chore too.

In the end I really loved the mechanics, the humor was enjoyable, I liked how it spends a few hours in 8 bit playing like a normal NES game, then becomes 16 bit, then becomes Metroid while also discovering a bunch of new areas all in one shot. It's not a perfect game but I feel if something like it had released on the Genesis in the day it would be highly beloved even today, and that's a big deal to someone like me. In the sequel if they do end up going ahead with it, I hope they scatter the backtracking aspect a lot less haphazardly, hopefully shaving off a couple hours of it, along with making the whole game look like that beautiful 16 bit style. Still, it might be my favorite indie game on the Switch despite its flaws. Perfectly challenging for someone of my skill level too, not too hard or too easy.

Edit: I did get 100 percent, took me something like 15 hours to do so according to the in game clock. The reward for all the power medals was disappointing as well.

Last edited:

reirom

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry i am brasilian. I Asked that after i got the map the game can turn into this 16 bit gímnick you guys talked. I am currently with eitgh hours in game And need to know i am
Near end

superNESjoe

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've got every power seal currently on the map. All but 3 total, must be missing one final location or something. Just got

firefly

Absolutely no idea where to go from here to finish the story. No option for hints at the shop.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first game, onto the 16 bit sequel
I now fear the murmuring of padding in here is gonna knock the game down a peg.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I think they are using Google translate for communication, I saw in a previous thread English isn't their first language.
If they were using google translate, their spelling would be better.
I've got every power seal currently on the map. All but 3 total, must be missing one final location or something. Just got

firefly

Absolutely no idea where to go from here to finish the story. No option for hints at the shop.
Did you ask the prophet? You only get hints for stuff the prophet tells you.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
pUUUfRy.jpg
Can
someone help me I cant figure out how to get this damn power seal idk how to get into the area please!!
Go down from your location. Do you really not notice the blue line there?