• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The Medium on Steam

Discover a dark mystery only a medium can solve. Travel to an abandoned communist resort and use your unique psychic abilities to uncover its deeply disturbing secrets, solve dual-reality puzzles, survive encounters with sinister spirits, and explore two realities at the same time.
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500X
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon™ R9 390X (or equivalent with 4 GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 30 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600 / AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti / Radeon™ RX Vega 56 | @4K NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 / Radeon™ RX 5700 XT
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 30 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended
    • Additional Notes: NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 on 4K with ray tracing on
So, this is the first time PC requirements released for a next gen exclusive.

It's basically what I expected for a next gen title, but the RAM and storage requirements seem a little low. I bet this game isn't possible without a SSD but in the requirements, there's no sign of a SSD requirement. We should see an increase there with other titles.

Maybe it's just the usual Steam requirements template and SSD requirements will be unveiled soon?

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nRiYnNy.jpg

is not very demanding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mfsR1fYxZY

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
The developer said in an interview that without the SSD they couldn't achieve the game design iirc. So a maybe they just forgot to mention SSD here ?

Edit: In regards to SSD they only mentioned that no loading times will happen and that it is great to not break the immersion.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
No SSD requirement is interesting.

I wonder what specifically the One X doesn't have that the Series X does which makes this game impossible on that machine if its not the SSD.

Edit: Or maybe they'll just have loading screens on PC.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another interesting thing is that you only need to step up from a 2070 to a 2080 to get the same performance at 4K and Raytracing.

Usually, Raytracing is a lot more demanding. The cards only are 15% or so apart AFAIK.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
When a lot of these games target 4k on consoles, naturally the minimum spec on PC will be manageable (1060 is actually quite high considering the overall market) considering the aim there would be 1080p most likely (even 720p if specified)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It figures this game wasn't stressing SSD speeds. It's seems like a situation where the most work is sharing a similar world at the same time. So ram, no major world shifting changes that need to load totally new stuff like Ratchet and Clank.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
If those are the specs for 60fps on pc, I guess it should be easily doable on Series X too.....

Oct 26, 2017
Ram will pick up the slack for lack of an SSD on PC. Not that I would want to play it on the minimum settings.
Loads might be brutal.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No SSD requirement is interesting.

I wonder what specifically the One X doesn't have that the Series X does which makes this game impossible on that machine if its not the SSD.

Edit: Or maybe they'll just have loading screens on PC.
How much ram does One X have? That's probably the issue.

-----------------------------------
Seeing that there's no SSD requirement I guess there's going to be a lot of file duplication for HDD users. Bigger size for SSD users :\

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen a few articles about PC requirements for this game, and there's a difference where some include the language "SSD recommended." Not sure why that part is different. https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/here_s_what_you_need_to_run_the_medium_on_pc/1

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: @1080p (Low Details) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon™ R9 390X (or equivalent with 4 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space (SSD recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600 / AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: @1080p (High Details) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti / Radeon™ RX Vega 56 | @4K (High Details) NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 / Radeon™ RX 5700 XT
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 30 GB available space (SSD recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended
Additional Notes: NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 for 4K with ray tracing on

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
More detailed requirements:
Disc Space: 30 GB (SSD recommended) 🙄
Recommended System Requirements (4K, High Details, Ray Tracing: On)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-9600 / AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080
DirectX: 12
Disc Space: 30 GB (SSD recommended)
Sound: DirectX compatible
Notes: Headphones recommended
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: The Medium :: Official system requirements

Dear players! Take a look at the official system requirements for the PC version of The Medium.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More detailed requirements:
Disc Space: 30 GB (SSD recommended) 🙄

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: The Medium :: Official system requirements

Dear players! Take a look at the official system requirements for the PC version of The Medium.
In the steam thread:

user asks:

What are requirements for 'The Medium' game in Full HD, High Details, Ray Tracing: On?

Will it work properly on PC with SSD slower than Xbox Series X SSD (2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed))?

How will it work on HDD (stuttering?)?

Will this game has suport for something like DLSS 2.0 or similar?

devs answer:
I'll check it and get back to you with an answer, okay?

This will get very interesting soon.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
SSD recommended? Will be interesting to see the comparisons with or without an SSD. This is the kind of thing that both consoles should have been showing us

Nov 2, 2017
Another interesting thing is that you only need to step up from a 2070 to a 2080 to get the same performance at 4K and Raytracing.

Usually, Raytracing is a lot more demanding. The cards only are 15% or so apart AFAIK.
Never draw any conclusion from system requirements. I doubt many devs actually put much effort in these things. There's often no internal consistency to these, including the ones in OP.

In the recommended requirements you have a 1660Ti for 1080p and a 2070 for 4K. There's only 40-50% difference between these GPUs but 1080p -> 4K is closer to a 4x increase in GPU load. The same goes for the 1060 in the minimum 1080p requirements. A 1060 is about half of a 2070 so if a 2070 can really do 4K then a 1060 can settings do atleast 1440p at the same settings, with the exception of textures maybe depending how much VRAM the game uses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never draw any conclusion from system requirements. I doubt many devs actually put much effort in these things. There's often no internal consistency to these, including the ones in OP.

In the recommended requirements you have a 1660Ti for 1080p and a 2070 for 4K. There's only 40-50% difference between these GPUs but 1080p -> 4K is closer to a 4x increase in GPU load. The same goes for the 1060 in the minimum 1080p requirements. A 1060 is about half of a 2070 so if a 2070 can really do 4K then a 1060 can settings do atleast 1440p at the same settings, with the exception of textures maybe depending how much VRAM the game uses.
Yeah, that striked me as odd too. The 1660Ti should be capable of 1440p at the settings the 2070 uses. Maybe there's a mistake. In the official blog post, the 1660Ti is missing entirely and there, the scaling makes more sense (the 1060 specification is for low settings, for example).

But the RT specifications has less chances of such a mess up, so we will see.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It will. But no SSD requirement at all is very strange to me, if this really uses the SSD of the XSX. I don't think only 16 GB of RAM can aid a slow HDD.
That's why I said, I wouldn't want to play this on minimum requirements. Most of the time minimum requirements mean that it barely runs from my experience... hell even recommended specs sometimes mean performance issues.
I'd expect stutters and texture load times without SSD.
Mesh data isn't all that demanding.Even high density meshes barely go over a few MB so main Data hog are going to be materials. Actually with the supernatural theme they could use a shader to hide the texture load in.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Weird how they said this game wasn't possible on current gen Xbox due to the lack of a fast NVMe SSD, and now there is no mention of an SSD requirement on PC, not even a Sata 3 one...and besides that 2 worlds at the same time thing it doesn't look like a very demanding game

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I need to sell my 2070 and get one of those 3XXX series cards. I don't think 2070 going to cut it this generation.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird how they said this game wasn't possible on current gen Xbox due to the lack of a fast NVMe SSD, and now there is no mention of an SSD requirement on PC, not even a Sata 3 one...and besides that 2 worlds at the same time thing it doesn't look like a very demanding game

They said it wasn't possible on current Gen Xbox, people heard SSD. It could have also been due to the slower CPU of the Xbox One, which all the PC CPUs listed trounce.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to sell my 2070 and get one of those 3XXX series cards. I don't think 2070 going to cut it this generation.

How do you come to that conclusion after you have seen the requirements here? The 2080 seems to be roughly on par with a XSX, Raytracing performance included, going by these requirements and various other indicators. Your 2070 should be fine at 1440p with Raytracing in next gen games. And DLSS could give you a huge boost compared to the consoles.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How do you come to that conclusion after you have seen the requirements here? The 2080 seems to be roughly on par with a XSX, Raytracing performance included, going by these requirements and various other indicators. Your 2070 should be fine at 1440p with Raytracing in next gen games. And DLSS could give you a huge boost compared to the consoles.

He might want to game at 4k60 and not everything supports DLSS.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
The 2080 seems to be roughly on par with a XSX, Raytracing performance included, going by these requirements and various other indicators.

Bold claim. A 2080 runs circles around the XSX APU - especially in RT performance. The ONLY indication of XSX RT performance is the direct comparison of Minecraft RTX where the XSX performs slightly below the level of a 2060 in a highly specialized build for the console.

Nov 2, 2017
That's why I said, I wouldn't want to play this on minimum requirements. Most of the time minimum requirements mean that it barely runs from my experience... hell even recommended specs sometimes mean performance issues.
I'd expect stutters and texture load times without SSD.
Mesh data isn't all that demanding.Even high density meshes barely go over a few MB so main Data hog are going to be materials. Actually with the supernatural theme they could use a shader to hide the texture load in.
I actually think they're significantly overshooting the minimum requirements here. If a 1060 is going to struggle at 1080p then no card in existence right now can do 4k. Even a 2080Ti is only 3x faster than a 1060 which wouldn't be enough.

I'm pretty sure they never said the reason it couldn't work on current gen is the lack of an SSD. That just people mistakenly assuming.

Get used to it upcoming gen. :)
There's no point in doing this as you can usually easily circumvent blocks like that on PC.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Would devs on pc really block hdd users from running their games?

Actually blocking? Nah, that's incredibly unlikely and there'd be workarounds anyway.

Not supporting HDDs, highly recommending SSDs, popups saying 'This game should be run on an SSD, performance will be badly affected'? That's far more reasonable.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
A 2070 will run next-gen games great for the next few years, at least at 1440p/60 and 1080p/120fps, but if you're looking for 4K/60fps in most titles then yes, i think an RTX 3070 or even 3080 will be necessary

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Will be playing this at release. My 1600/RX580 are really starting to show their age though. Just need them to last another year.