• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, Disney announced a new trilogy a while back that would be directed by Rian Johnson. But who knows if that's still happening.
Oh, that one. Yeah, even if that happens, I really doubt that it would involve any of these characters. Also, no way could any rumors about it be accurate at this point.

And yeah, I really don't think those movies are happening at this point. They said last week that Rogue Squadron is in 2023, and then Waititi's will be next. No mention of Rian's movie, and at this point the first would still literally be five years away.
Just a quick thing about this one (but please let's not go off-topic): Lucasfilm announced when they canceled the D&D project. I think that if Rian's project had the same fate, they would've announced that as well. He did confirm Knives Out 2, though, and the pandemic obviously delayed everything, so I think he'll be working on that first, and then his Star Wars project.

It might have changed into something else for Disney+ (or a solo movie), too. Maybe they'll talk about that once it's settled. If they cancel it, I'm sure they'll announce it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Ahhhh I really missed the debates on if this Luke was REALLY our Luke. Lol

I liked the episode. Left me intrigued as to how they'll continue. Grogu was a big part of this series, so I don't think that story is done.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
They're just setting up Grogu to be Yoda 2.0 but he was hiding somewhere during the ST since he was still growing up then he'll show up whenever they want to do more stuff post-ST and they can just drop in a new Jedi order and go about business as usual without really have to dig up ST stuff. I'm sure they'll only even touch ST stuff in references to BB8 or having whoever they get to be Luke 2.0 digging up the lightsabers on Tatooine.

Curious to see how this show survives post-Grogu.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He did. But Ahsoka never died in the first place. She was always going to be saved by Ezra, hence it being predestined.

In other words, you can't actually change the events of Star Wars through A World Between Worlds.

You know, they can just pretend Rey saved Ben with it and that's why he disappeared and wasn't a force ghost.

If they care that much just edit his clothes disappearing with him. Nobody will give a fuck if they change that detail in TROS lol.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Its weird to me that people are tying to talk about how it isn't deep enough or feels cheap..Like thats what star wars has always been ?? A bunch of bad ass people doing bad ass things and talking about concepts that seem deep. But the depth and myth of star wars glory has been built up over the years because of the fanfare, attachment and pop culture value, not because of the actual source material, that has always been kind of shallow and thats ok but its still entertaining as fuck.
The issue is every so often Star Wars puts out something like The Empire Strikes Back, The Last Jedi or arguably Revenge of the Sith. Films that genuinely try to add depth and tackle more complex themes and ideas. Even if I think only the first two I listed did so well. And as a result, it can create this desire to wish every movie was like that.

Most Star Wars is better if you don't think too hard about it, but occasionally the franchise punches above its weight.

Oct 27, 2017
Man Luke looked terrrrrible. Wow, I can't believe they felt comfortable airing that.

Thought the same when I saw it. He looked like out of a render cutscene.

I didn't need all these Star Wars cameos. I remember when this show was perfectly fine as it's own thing. All these cameos make the Star Wars universe seem so small. Of course you cannot have a Star Wars show without a Skywalker in it, duh.

The little mythos Boba Fett had left after Attack of the Clones is out the window. I would have been fine to have him appear in one episode with his helmet on. They just had to show him without his armor and make him Mando's sidekick for half the season.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was distracting how much Luke looked like a deep fake, it wasn't too well done. Did they use a sound-alike, or was that Mark Hamill? Didn't recognize his voice. I'm assuming we won't get to see Grogu for a while, knowing that Luke's deep fake requirement seems to limit that.

The effects on the Dark Troopers were amazing, they had a sort of stop motion effect to them - they felt real and looked fantastic.

The ending was pretty great overall, despite Luke being distracting. What an entrance though.

The epilogue/teaser for the Boba show was fantastic.

Gina Carano did her part in ruining the fun for me, as usual. They should have deep faked her out.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is every so often Star Wars puts out something like The Empire Strikes Back, The Last Jedi or arguably Revenge of the Sith. Films that genuinely try to add depth and tackle more complex themes and ideas. Even if I think only the first two I listed did so well. And as a result, it can create this desire to wish every movie was like that.

Most Star Wars is better if you don't think too hard about it, but occasionally the franchise punches above its weight.

I totally agree with you but I think there's place for both kind of star wars. I just find it absurd that star war fans are so hard to please. Like I can see S1 complaints but S2 is pretty good, its fan service done right. We are blessed to have this considering the pile of shit TROS is. By not being thankful we are gonna anger the star war gods.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
You know what, this show does have it's flaws and issues.

But I don't fucking care, The Mandalorian still entertained the fuck out of me, got me all emotional, and made me feel like a kid again.

Same here dude.

Also, I had issues with Luke's face (and voice...) but it didn't take me out of the moment of the reveal. Still worked for me even though I noticed it for sure didn't cut the mustard.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That ending really felt like they just dropped any interesting pretense for story threads and questions all for that cameo. Like... that ending kinda has nothing to do with what these characters are dealing with, as thin as they all already are.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
The name of this show is THE MANDALORIAN not LUKE SKYWALKER.

He has no place in this story. This is the finale of The Mandalorian and the perhaps final parting between Dinn and Grogu, and yet the episode isn't at all about them. What did Dinn learn? How was he truly tested, character wise, in this episode? How did he grow? The answer is he learned nothing he hadn't already learned and wasn't tested in the slightest beyond physical prowess. Luke then shows up so fans can orgasm that they finally have the boring Luke they wanted and then Dinn gives up Grogu, the thing he'd been trying to do.

WOW, such character development. It's garbage. This show is now reaching TROS level of fan appeasement.
I liked it

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
If they're going to use Luke again they should just cast Sebastian Stan and be done with it. You know how many reaction videos mentioned if it was going to be him? It's like it's expected at this point.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
That ending really felt like they just dropped any interesting pretense for story threads and questions all for that cameo. Like... that ending kinda has nothing to do with what these characters are dealing with, as thin as they all already are.
Grogu was one of those characters and this has everything to do with what he was dealing with. Finding his own, a future, some training. I like to think of these past two seasons as pretty much one arc. The Grogu arc. As for the rest of the characters, most likely the show will go on. And they will be dug deeper into. Whether through more Mandalorian or other spin offs.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really liked this show more when every single episode wasn't setting up a spin-off. It's exactly what I DON'T want from Star Wars, now. An entire galaxy that just has ~20 people in it, recycled over and over.

'member that one character? Member them? They're back! They say stuff and have further adventures!

THE MANDALORIAN
*flute sounds*

I'm a fan. It's a thrill and it made me smile to see Luke and R2 back. It's fun. But it has turned The Mandalorian into literally the thing I did not want it to be and the reason I dug it to begin with. New characters, new planets, new cantinas. Low-powered adventures in a galaxy far, far away. That concept was SO fun. Now we're miles away from it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it finally resolves Mando protecting Grogu from the Empire and reuniting him with the Jedi, which is what the first two seasons have been about and revolved around.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I totally agree with you but I think there's place for both kind of star wars. I just find it absurd that star war fans are so hard to please. Like I can see S1 complaints but S2 is pretty good, its fan service done right. We are blessed to have this considering the pile of shit TROS is. By not being thankful we are gonna anger the star war gods.
It's like they say, you can't please everyone. Every Star Wars film is someone's favourite and so everyone wants to see the franchise go in a different direction. You don't seem to like The Rise of Skywalker but I guarantee that's someone's favourite. Probably quite a few people's honestly.

Heck, I don't like The Rise of Skywalker too much but I still might put it above The Mandolorian if I was pushed. Maybe. I'd have to think about it.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Cool finale. Luke was hype. Reminded me of Vader in Rogue One (which I watched after months later and managed to avoid spoliers for). The CGI was almost on par with Tarkin but stiffer.

I wonder if there's going to be a time jump at the end of next season to allow for a Grogu appearance...

Nov 27, 2020
I see several interesting story threads that come out of this. They just happen to not involve Grogu right now.

-Din, as of now, is the accidental holder of the Darksaber, and can lay claim to the throne of Mandalore. Even though he doesn't want it, he can't just give it away. What happens next?
-Gideon may be in New Republic custody, but earlier he said that he'd gotten what he needed from the child. Was the blood still on the ship, or was the Doctor returning from wherever he took it to?
-Boba Fett is now apparently the new head of the Tatooine underworld (and maybe more). I know of one former wearer of the Fett armor that might put him at odds with.

If it's true that the "Book of Boba" is a miniseries, and season 3 proper of Mandalorian will come sometime after that, I think we'll get more into Mandalorian society, and just what's going on with that world. The Mandalorian universe has expanded, not ended, and I fully expect there to be a role for Grogu as well. Who knows? Maybe we'll get multiple storylines, where we follow Din on his Mandoventures and Grogu at Luke's Jedi academy as he trains alongside a young Ben Solo. Sky's the limit now, I think.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just realized something. Isn't likely that Grogu was in fact in the world between worlds, which would explain why he is literally a baby yet 50 years old? He was born 50 year before but because he ended up in the world between worlds to be protected he experienced time differently.

Ezra would have exited the world between worlds recently, hence why Thrawn is back, and it is at that point that Grogu got separated.

When we see Ezra again, he would be the same age he was when he was last seen, more or less.

Quoting myself but doesn't this make the most sense?

There is no way it is "normal" for Grogu to be a baby at 50. Ezra is still going to be a kid whenever he shows up.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Grogu was one of those characters and this has everything to do with what he was dealing with. Finding his own, a future, some training. I like to think of these past two seasons as pretty much one arc. The Grogu arc. As for the rest of the characters, most likely the show will go on. And they will be dug deeper into. Whether through more Mandalorian or other spin offs.
Grogu is a prop, not a character. He's about as much of a character as R2-D2. He's rarely an active agent in anything beyond the instigator for some cute gags or light mischief, and he's an excuse to keep the plot for other characters to move forward, but the show doesn't exactly care what he thinks.
I see several interesting story threads that come out of this. They just happen to not involve Grogu right now.

-Din, as of now, is the accidental holder of the Darksaber, and can lay claim to the throne of Mandalore. Even though he doesn't want it, he can't just give it away. What happens next?
-Gideon may be in New Republic custody, but earlier he said that he'd gotten what he needed from the child. Was the blood still on the ship, or was the Doctor returning from wherever he took it to?
-Boba Fett is now apparently the new head of the Tatooine underworld (and maybe more). I know of one former wearer of the Fett armor that might put him at odds with.

If it's true that the "Book of Boba" is a miniseries, and season 3 proper of Mandalorian will come sometime after that, I think we'll get more into Mandalorian society, and just what's going on with that world. The Mandalorian universe has expanded, not ended, and I fully expect there to be a role for Grogu as well. Who knows? Maybe we'll get multiple storylines, where we follow Din on his Mandoventures and Grogu at Luke's Jedi academy as he trains alongside a young Ben Solo. Sky's the limit now, I think.
I mean the whole thing with Din holding the Darksaber felt like an interesting thing until the show just halted for some Dark Troopers and this complete stranger to cut them to pieces. They're about to confront this really fucked scenario about cultural dogmas, and then the show just stops for Luke to pick up the kid and go "I'll take that, thanks." Like, I felt nothing when they said goodbye. Just nothing.

Din barely seemed interested in what Gideon was doing with the blood. Like yeah, they could tie this in to Season 3. Or they just drop it and they go "Oh, this was just help to set up Snoke/Palpatine" or some shit, and nobody would blink an eye.

Boba becoming a crime lord on his own series both doesn't matter because it's a post-credit stinger irrelevant from the rest of the finale, but if it's going to be dealt with in its own mini-series instead of Season 3, then it just doesn't matter here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

There is no way it is "normal" for Grogu to be a baby at 50. Ezra is still going to be a kid whenever he shows up.
Doubt it, personally. It's just like, fantasy logic; Yoda is an old man by "900", and Grogu is a baby at "50". So every ten years is one human year.

I wouldn't overthink it.
Grogu is a prop, not a character. He's about as much of a character as R2-D2. He's rarely an active agent in anything beyond the instigator for some cute gags or light mischief, and he's an excuse to keep the plot for other characters to move forward, but the show doesn't exactly care what he thinks.
Baby-Yoda-aka-Grogu-with-Din-Djarin-and-Luke-Skywalker-in-The-Mandalorian.jpg

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Soo question, Luke force crushing the dark trooper is more of a grey jedi thing right?

Also, in one season of TV we've gotten more cool Jedi action than like 9 movies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

They just age really slowly.

Rian liked this one -

Sucks that it has to be an either/or situation for so many people when they're both great. Seeing Luke right after Jedi when he's still fully committed to being a Jedi was fantastic. Seeing a broken Luke who had given up on the Jedi but then regained that hope was also great.

This man lived a long life, let him have different stages in it.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that was great episode! To see Luke at his prime was an amazing experience. I had a huge ass grin on my face when that X-wing showed up. I guess I'm glad I'm not a hardcore Star Wars fan or I would be hating it like some of the peeps in this thread. Anyway, it looks like season 3 may be about the successor to the Mandalorian throne.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my lord

that was baaaaad
What's crazy is that this episode was directed by Peyton Reed. The guy who did 2 MCU films that convincingly de-aged Michael Douglas by like 30 years. He knew the effects studios to work with. Did he just not have the budget? For Star Wars?

This shit makes me worry about the Marvel shows.

Oct 28, 2017
The De-aged Luke did not look good but it didn't ruin the whole scene. I loved all of it..I just think we're still a few years away from getting rid of the uncanny valley. Mark Hamil was there though and did the voice so I'm much more comfortable with that.

If film and TV makers continue to do this, then it needs to be very short cameos until the technology is fully there. I don't want to see a full CGI or de-aged Harrison Ford so that they can make 12 more Indiana Jones movies.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that it has to be an either/or situation for so many people when they're both great. Seeing Luke right after Jedi when he's still fully committed to being a Jedi was fantastic. Seeing a broken Luke who had given up on the Jedi but then regained that hope was also great.

This man lived a long life, let him have different stages in it.
Exactly.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it. Makes no sense. Would make training such creatures a dumb waste of time. There has to be a proper explanation.
Yoda's species is defined by its mysteriousness. Doesn't even have a canon name or homeworld, they're that committed to the mystery.

Where Yoda is concerned, expect no explanations IMO.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
To a Star Wars fan: This show in its last four episodes makes Mando a secondary character in his own show.

To a non-Star Wars fan: This show in its last four episodes tell the story of how Mando rescues Grogu and the show is 100% about him.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are Star war fans the most spoiled in pop culture ?

Audience says...audience says nothing, audience is too busy fighting about TLJ still

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Qui-Gon being told "this thing will be your Padawan for the next 400 years! 90 years from now it will stop needing diapers."
He probably wasn't anyone's Padawan yet, he was being trained like all the other kids at the temple. Obi-Wan didn't become Qui-Gon's Padawan until he was a teen, likewise with Ahsoka and Anakin. Padawans go on missions with their Masters so you don't want a baby.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
To a Star Wars fan: This show in its last four episodes makes Mando a secondary character in his own show.

To a non-Star Wars fan: This show in its last four episodes tell the story of how Mando rescues Grogu and the show is 100% about him.
Thats a really good point 🤔. It's all the hype blinding us.