• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yooo, pill boy! made it a pretty far way from jacksonville lol

damn good episode all-around once again. bryce dallas howard following in her dad's footsteps with that directing job. once again, very videogamey, even got 'detective mode' in there tracking the footprints lol. gina carano did her thing too. prob her best role yet.

disney gonna sell so much of those baby yoda plushies, holy fuck lol

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
They did an episode like this on The Clone wars TV show. A bunch of bounty hunters helped a village out. That's what it reminded me of. Either way I still enjoyed this one. I do hope Cara and IG-11 become part of his team with Nick Niltes character joining then. I have spoken.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
another video game ass episode lmao. "activate eagle eye and follow the tracks"

I enjoyed it though. Baby Yoda is the gift that keeps on giving. and that AT-ST was spooky as hell.

Dec 12, 2017
Was i the only one that thought the blonde kid with the bowl haircut really stood out amongst all the other olive skinned people in the village?

Possibly some Mandalorian film crew's kid? LOL

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Kinda find it hilarious that Mando finds a love interest, and immediately is like, "Yeah, no thanks lol."

Baby Yoda continues to be adorable. I do wonder if this is just gonna be 'What trouble will Mando and Baby Yoda get themselves into?" going forward. Not that isn't a bad thing but this episode was just okay imo.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Easily my favorite episode so far. The show gets a little better and a little better as it runs. Can't wait on the sipping broth gifs.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they have some of yiddle's DNA to be to track him. Especially since the Imps had their hands on him for a bit.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are either a super strict sect, or this "never take off my helmet" thing is common after the war on mandalore. They probably got the shit kicked out of them and thought they had been getting soft and this is how all mandalorians are now.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like how the very first thing the Mandalorian does when he goes into hiding is engage in a multi-pronged profile-raising blowout by strutting into town in his unmissable armor, parading his rare and valuable Baby Yoda in front of the locals, making it rain for the hapless waitress, picking a fight with another laughably prominent fugitive, and taking on an explosive job in which he helps raise a full blown militia to take out an AT-ST.

Good thing those farmers lived in the middle of nowhere, right! Why even keep up the pretense of lying low, lol? I did my best to enjoy the ride, but I can't overlook writing that doesn't take its main character's motives and situation seriously.

Also that nice farmer woman was not only DTF without ever seeing our dude's face, she was ready to settle down and raise a family. Too bad our hero is a self-sabotaging dunce.

Weakest episode so far for me.

Baby Yoda is still the most precious thing in the world though. I want to pat his little head and help him dress in his little jacket.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show continues to be great. I love the direction they took with the AT-ST. Made it that much more intimidating and you can imagine what a bunch of backwater fish farmers who have no concept of an AT-ST would think of it. Favreau and Filoni are such a great creative team. Really hope Kennedy and Lucasfilm keep they working together on projects. They have also done a great job with the Directors so far.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Yeah big Kurosawa vibes from this episode, I get a lot of people feel this had Western vibes - lone gun slinger and all that, but for me it feels so much like the Samurai films I grew up watching as a kid. This was a very solid episode I'd say it's the third best so far behind last weeks episode and the second episode, kinda digging that it's a father-son dynamic with very few recurring characters so far I mean IG-11 and Cara Dune were advertised like leads but seem to be being used sparingly.

Just saw on Bryce Dallas Howard's (directed the episode) Instagram a post all about Kurosawa's influence. Pretty cool.

I also want to say and not to be lowbrow but Gina Carano is one of the most gorgeous woman I personally have ever seen and first and foremost kicks ass like a champ. Her character is so cool to me and we know so little about her.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
They did a good job making the AT-ST menacing.

Baby Yoda slurping the broth while Mando and Gina have their guns aimed at each other was damn adorable

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Writing was off in the episode. As someone else just pointed out above me, he went to a backwoods planet and then seemed to not care about actually hiding.

And near the end didn't make sense either. He admits they just did way too much to raise eyebrows yet he's ready to leave the kid there? It's too hot for either of them to stay but the one everyone is looking for should be fine... without protection?

The fact the tracking fobs still work out there too makes his decision making pretty questionable.

Also found the emphasis on the helmet stuff funny yet it shows him taking it off in full view of a bunch of children. They aren't looking toward the window in the shot but nothing's stopping them.

Gina Carano's acting came off poor in some lines too.

But overall the direction of the episode was pretty great. Imagery was cool, as it has been. Menacing red eyed AT-ST over the forest was rad.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

53M1f.gif

vs Ewoks

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It's always so refreshing to see a piece of media where the protagonists don't have anti-armour weaponry and armour is actually a threat

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
So is the MC not an actual Mandolrian? The line about being taken in as a kid by them makes it seem so.
We knew that from the first episode already though. The question is what the Great Purge is. It seems like the Empire killed a lot of Mandalorians in its last few years. Rebels took place 5 years before the Galactic Civil War and Mandalore was still fine back then.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Definitely got Stargate SG-1 vibes, if SG1 had a massive budget and Walkers. Gina was fun. Baby Yoda is too damn cute. I was legit upset when the sniper lined him up in the sights, even though it was obvious Baby Yoda wasn't dying.

Shame Julia Jones is one-and-done. She was very likeable with a thinly-drawn character, just like in Westworld.

images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.