• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
But it isnt a majestic story. A grand majestic score would be out of place in this Lone Wolf/Western-inspired seedy corner of the galaxy
That's true. Maybe I'll come around regarding the soundtrack when the series progresses or when they release it so I can listen to it more attentively. But the soundtrack is the least of my gripes with the series. For now it's the compelling characters I miss the most. Really hope that is because we're basically still in the first act of the story.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Honestly I think it shows how much people are tired with the Skywalker saga. I want more lore, more of this (underground) world and the Mandalorian provides that in a way, just like clone wars does. And I believe that it will do service to the JEDI myth by showing that other people fight for their lives, people weaker in terms of combat but still entertaining for us. And if we get a glimpse of JEDI, then it makes it way more special.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I think it shows how much people are tired with the Skywalker saga. I want more lore, more of this (underground) world and the Mandalorian provides that in a way, just like clone wars does. And I believe that it will do service to the JEDI myth by showing that other people fight for their lives, people weaker in terms of combat but still entertaining for us. And if we get a glimpse of JEDI, then it makes it way more special.
Funny thing is, I'm not even sick of Jedi. I'm just sick of the Skywalker saga.

But yeah, more underground, outer rim stuff please. It's one of the more interesting parts of Star Wars.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Watched the first two episodes. Dunno if I'd call it great but it is entertaining. Pretty fun to get some other perspectives of the SW universe. Especially post-Empire era.

I did almost audibly say "Oh bullshit" during the first episode when the mechanic guy talks to Mandoman during the riding training scene "The Mandalorians rode the great Mythosaur." like that somehow means HE can ride animals, despite clearly never having been around one.

Oct 25, 2017
That sandcrawler scene immediately transported me back to
Super_Star_Wars_SNES_15.png

Watched the first two episodes. Dunno if I'd call it great but it is entertaining. Pretty fun to get some other perspectives of the SW universe. Especially post-Empire era.

I did almost audibly say "Oh bullshit" during the first episode when the mechanic guy talks to Mandoman during the riding training scene "The Mandalorians rode the great Mythosaur." like that somehow means HE can ride animals, despite clearly never having been around one.
Eh, it wasn't so much "you can ride it because it is in your DNA"
as it was
"You call yourself a Mandalorian and give up even trying to ride this pathetic thing"

Last edited:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that they showed mando armor is power armor and not just armor plating in episode 2. Really helps you realize why these mandos live in their armor, there is a lot to it.

Also everything with the Jawas was hilarious.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A disturbing thought.

What if baby Yoda is evil.

He seemed quite pleased with disintegrations. He also only protects Mando out of a sense of mutual benefit as far as a I can tell.

Baby Yoda is the new Palpatine. They're going to break our hearts by the time this season is over.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure what I was expecting with this show...but this isn't it. I don't know, I guess something gritter, darker, and with a more serious tone? The baby Yoda thing is classic Disney, and the overall tone is much lighter than I thought it would be.

It's fine so far, maybe it will pick up, but I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what I was expecting with this show...but this isn't it. I don't know, I guess something gritter, darker, and with a more serious tone? The baby Yoda thing is classic Disney, and the overall tone is much lighter than I thought it would be.

It's fine so far, maybe it will pick up, but I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would.

Maybe give the 6th season of TCW a watch if you haven't. It's actually pretty heartbreaking. Lots of episodes are in the whole series.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think that the Mandalorian will
pass little Yoda to the good guys, maybe even Luke / a Jedi?

Dec 31, 2017
D+ finally came out in Australia, so I caught the first two eps last night.

Sadly Twitter trending not only ruined Baby Yoda, but also made the show seem like it was the second coming of Christ. The baby is cool and all but I can't help but feel Disney has gotten super formulaic with a new mandatory 'cute thing' in every piece of Star Wars content.
Disney has hypnotized the masses with cutesy characters using the same schtick for decades now
  • Disproportionally oversized eyes and head
  • Eyes spaced low on the head and usually wide and far apart.
  • Fluffiness, warmth and/or chubbiness
  • Expressions of shyness or coyness
  • Fat legs, short and tapering down into small feet and extremeties for type
  • Tummy bulges

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Finally watched both episodes last night after my gf and I broke and got D+. I think my favorite thing about the first two episodes is how the Mandalorian'a intro is "look how badass this mfer is" and then slowly over two episodes he gets totally deconstructed and is not nearly as badass as you think.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Finally watched both episodes last night after my gf and I broke and got D+. I think my favorite thing about the first two episodes is how the Mandalorian'a intro is "look how badass this mfer is" and then slowly over two episodes he gets totally deconstructed and is not nearly as badass as you think.

He's a bad ass, just a human still. The amount of asses hes kicked and kills in just two eps is nuts, but he's not an untouchable jedi either. But it's nice to have a star wars hero who apparently can get hit and hurt, unlike the movie heroes who never seem to get shot and mow through bad guys like nothing. It's refreshing to see a main SW character who takes his licks.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
He's a bad ass, just a human still. The amount of asses hes kicked and kills in just two eps is nuts, but he's not an untouchable jedi either. But it's nice to have a star wars hero who apparently can get hit and hurt, unlike the movie heroes who never seem to get shot and mow through bad guys like nothing. It's refreshing to see a main SW character who takes his licks.

Yeah that's basically what I meant. He's not some unstoppable force as he appears in the intro, and he's also not some silent no-emotion guy either (as is evident by how he acts during the battle with IG-11 and how frustrated he got with the Jawas). It's a great deconstruction on what it means to be the badass warrior - he's still a human underneath the armor.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the first two eps. Liking more than I thought - in disagreement with above, I like the fact that it's not super gritty and has a lighter side. Probably the thing that feels the most Star wars-esque since the OT. Of course I don't like how hard the show leans on nostalgia, but that's just modern star wars I guess.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
Anyone else think that the Mandalorian will
pass little Yoda to the good guys, maybe even Luke / a Jedi?

No please let Mando
put baby Yoda in a mandalorian institution for their foundlings. They'll give him a cool helmet with horns to protect his ears (the Funko Pop will be cool too). Jedi cannot be trusted, mandalorians will raise him right.

This, or go "lone wolf and cub", and weaponize the crib

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
As long as he doesn't
hand him over to the Empire

Was thinking it would've been so funny if he'd wondered out loud what was in the cave/hole, and baby Yoda says "only what you take with you" lmao

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Disney has hypnotized the masses with cutesy characters using the same schtick for decades now
  • Disproportionally oversized eyes and head
  • Eyes spaced low on the head and usually wide and far apart.
  • Fluffiness, warmth and/or chubbiness
  • Expressions of shyness or coyness
  • Fat legs, short and tapering down into small feet and extremeties for type
  • Tummy bulges

so a baby

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
After watching EP2, which I liked a lot too, I can't help but feel fear that Mando and Yodel's adventure won't end up mattering at all or they will be killed off before the ST timeline starts. I am sort of fine with this and the Skywalker saga never crossing narrative paths, but I will be really surprised if at the end of the day, all these characters we care about now will be sacrificed just for one final Kylo Ren/Luke/Sheev cameo.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Same length for episode 3 ?
Dammit... i hoped the next ones would be longer considering the 2 episodes in the first week thing. ...
They are very short (very sweet though for the first two, but very short ).

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its cause we follow a single character. Most hour long eps have A/B/C story lines. We just have one in Mando. Thats why it doesn't bother me. You spend more time with Mando then major characters in hour long dramas.

Also im sure hour long episodes were floated and probably arent profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.