• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Debateable. Do we have the costs for Zelda 3? Those 16bit projects were expensive like stuff today. OoT was the biggest budget Zelda game when it was released and was when the series went AAA, but only for the 3D games.

We got the Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and Mimish Cap later. Those were not AAA games.
Before there was 3D gaming; Zelda was absolutely one of the more well-regarded franchises in videogames.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god. Those visuals were so clean and the art style is so CUTE.

I need this game in my veins right now. It's exactly what I wanted.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Are we on the stage where the N64 could pull off these graphics, or it still PS2 stage?

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely fantastic, artstyle included!

Very, very, very exited. Never played Link's Awakening which makes it even more perfect.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
The backlash against the artstyle reminds me of Wind Waker...Which somehow puts my heart at ease.

God, Marina's voice at the end made me cry, one of the things I look forward to the most is the remixed soundtrack.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Don't care so much about the art style (not a fan though), but I was hoping for a new 2d zelda :(
It's ok to bring old games to life, but something new too!

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks nice. The transition from the opening to the gameplay definitely was a little weird but I think the style is attractive.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I've already said people can like what they want, that doesn't mean I can't comment on it. I mean this is a visual medium it's fair to compare this game to it's peers and question why a certain group can't understand why some folks may not like how this game looks. Particularly when the discussion is being muddied by folks throwing around Wind Waker as a gotcha comparison, as if that is the height of objective discussion.
... and how is your comment any different than theirs? Essentially you are reflecting it back to them and are justifying it by saying "Well they started it!" Come on man, you can see the flawed logic here?

Don't call out a group unfairly by lumping them together.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
He's Left handed. That's all that matters. Also, people complained about WW's art style during the time, and now they love it. We'll get used to it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It almost has a painterly style in places too, look at the texture of this building. Looks amazing imo.

screenshot2019-02-14atbk69.png

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this shit parked in a parking lot on my phone. When I realized what it was I began to cry. My favorite Zelda game coming back and looking so phenomenal.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
User Banned (3 days): Hostility
No, I want you specifically to quote them. I have zero problem with people who like the art style or people who dislike it, but I can't stand people making fallacious arguments just so they can act superior about their opinion.
I could care less what you fucking think about my argument. I don't have the time to sift through the bullshit I read earlier, do it YOURSELF.

Nov 8, 2017
The original rumor for this remake early last year stated that it was a 3DS remake of LA. The assumption bring that it was transitioned to the Switch at some point due to 3DS software sales tanking.

With the exception of some of the more intensive post processing and the fact that it's not running at 400x240, it doesn't look that far outside the realm of possibility. If it did start on 3DS I think it changed a while back though.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
The original rumor for this remake early last year stated that it was a 3DS remake of LA. The assumption bring that it was transitioned to the Switch at some point due to 3DS software sales tanking.

I could buy it being an initial plan they had if they started work in 2015 right after Triforce Heroes, but I can't imagine it having been that for very long. All those assets look like they were clearly made for more powerful hardware than the 3DS in mind.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Watching the trailer I knew the art would be super divisive, hahah. And just like pretty much every other time something is divisive, I'm right in the middle. It does look unique... but it also looks plastic and somewhat lifeless. The problem with plastic is that it's cheap and weightless, and it's hard not to make that mental association when something looks like plastic.

(incidentally this was my issue with a lot of the visuals during the early render era. Donkey Kong Country palm trees looked like cheap plastic toys to me).

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Thanks for screenshotting that, been asking for someone to do it. It's still compressed as hell but better than nothing. People saying this looks like a 3DS game are, frankly, full of shit.
I just took a little snippet directly from YT, but i just found this screenshot posted on Polygon of the same scene. This structure in particular looks fantastic.

Switch_TheLegendofZeldaLinksAwakening_ND0213_SCRN_03.jpeg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited just to play this with more than 2 buttons! And no little square scrolling screens? Yes!

Ugh at the art style, especially when the cutscene looks so nice. But whatever. This is a great game, and it deserves the upgrade away from its original limited hardware.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
I could care less what you fucking think about my argument. I don't have the time to sift through the bullshit I read earlier, do it YOURSELF.
If you make a claim, the onus is on you to prove it. You said people are making this out to be an apocalyptic. I haven't seen any of that. You also claimed that because people on youtube like it, that means all the naysayers are wrong.

If you don't want to be called out on making shitty disingenuous arguments: Don't make them.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I feel like the artstyle choice is just to further push the fact that its a dream.

I bet once you finish the game and you see link in the ending he will have his normal proportions like the intro showed.