• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
They're getting even bolder with Link's design here. Champion Link primarily swapped the top and dropped the hat. BotW2!Link has basically nothing in common with how Link typically looks besides the skin and hair colour.

skyward sword had a time power dungeon right?
More than one, actually. And they were very good imo.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Heavenly Breath

Kind of stole it from Dragon Quest V's subtitle
Ha! It would work, though.

Something with air, sky or heavens seems to be a given, since the sky islands seem to be the key feature that the 'wild' was in BotW.

So my guessed would be:

Embassy of the Heavens
Heir to the Heavens
Shadows of Air
I like those! Now I'm thinking something like Heavenly Air. Or since Link's latest changes... Heavenly Hair.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I have a feeling Link will be able to transform into a "spiritual" form - there are several points where he seems to be able to phase out of a physical form and instead turn kinda ghosty. Maybe he'll be like Danny Phantom.

Heck, what if, in addition to phasing through walls and such, he's able to possess certain objects? Like the shot of the golem - it had that same green energy flowing through it as flows around Link when he went through the ground. Perhaps that's him possessing it?

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
wow, so it is looking like this one has some ties to Skyward Sword, not just in the obvious gameplay way, but in the imagery too.
At least now we have an idea on where Breath of the Wild sits on the timeline 😆 Either directly before or after this game post Skyward Sword.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems unlikely that the sky platforms have risen from the ground like people assumed before. They seem to have completely unique structures on them that weren't in the first game. And hyrule castle doesn't float up to the sky like we first assumed. It's simply being propped up by the calamity tendrils.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
wow, so it is looking like this one has some ties to Skyward Sword, not just in the obvious gameplay way, but in the imagery too.
At least now we have an idea on where Breath of the Wild sits on the timeline 😆 Either directly before or after this game post Skyward Sword.
It's like Aonuma took the criticism from Skyward Sword and was like "you fuckers, the sky stuff was a good idea okay?! You'll all see..." and is set on creating what that game should've been.

What I wonder is if all these skybound structures are coming up out of the ground, how does that deform and change the terrain below. Are they half-creating a new Hyrule below because now there are all these craters, maybe revealing temple entrances or catacombs etc?

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I don't know what will it take to change y'all mind that Zelda will probably not be playable in this one but Zelda falling in a dark pit while Link has the ability that changes the whole gameplay. Zelda could maybe come back and be somewhat useful in game or could have an exploring section in a cave until she gets out, but honestly i really don't think she's going to be playable the whole time. Unless you really want to just walk around without fighting or doing any magic.

But yea, other than that, my theory is based on a video i've seen in the past but don't remember which it was. The green hand in the first teaser seem to like produce some sort of energy from Ganondorf's corpse. The energy goes up somewhere and you can literally see that golem with the Broom on his chest (which could be like a cleaning robot for a city in the sky idk) he has that green energy powering him up. There is also that same energy in the lizard head Link has on his shield and that can be used as a flamethrower. This head is clearly from Zonai origin, and the hand was speculated to be as well. Ganondorf could then very well be under hyrule castle, where the Zonai kind of conserved him there to use his energy. And they used it to power their city in the sky or something.

We'll see, i just hope they go into details about the lore and story for this one. Botw let too much to the imagination and too little was in the actual story that it's kinda underwhelming when you dig in and see so much missed potential.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have a feeling Link will be able to transform into a "spiritual" form - there are several points where he seems to be able to phase out of a physical form and instead turn kinda ghosty. Maybe he'll be like Danny Phantom.
Yup, that's what I'm saying. There's this definite potential spiritual aspect to the floating islands and appearance we see Link take on there. To say those floating islands look heavenly is an understatement. The golden trees, luscious clouds and soft glow all over. Plus Link rising through the sky with green power and ghosting through solid stones is pretty metaphysical. This could be a very literal take on the Spirit of the Hero, both from Link himself combined with that of the spirit of the glowy arm that possess/saves him. I for one would be more than down with Zelda getting a bit philosophical on us.

Sheikah Monks could meditate and preserve their bodies for centuries, but maybe Zonai monks could transcend the physical realm entirely.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Strange thing- that was long-haired Zelda falling right? Assuming it's not a premonition or dream or something, where does that leave short-haired Zelda travelling with Link?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also random thought, while we see the Master Sword only briefly as Link's arm gets attacked by Malice we don't see it again after that or know what happens to it. All the shots thereafter show Link without a sword or with a generic sword on his back. Would be cool if it fell down the cavern with Zelda and then she used it during her adventures underground.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
It's like Aonuma took the criticism from Skyward Sword and was like "you fuckers, the sky stuff was a good idea okay?! You'll all see..." and is set on creating what that game should've been.

What I wonder is if all these skybound structures are coming up out of the ground, how does that deform and change the terrain below. Are they half-creating a new Hyrule below because now there are all these craters, maybe revealing temple entrances or catacombs etc?

Haha! Yeah, I'm not sure. Watching that Zeltic video that breaks everything down though, it's starting to appear to me like we'll end up playing Link in two different time eras?

So maybe we won't see the results of deformed terrain if Long Haired Link parts take place in the distant past, and blue tunic Link parts take place in the distant future when all of those land masses have fallen back to Hyrule and become part of the countryside over centuries? It looks like Ganons Castle is the only one we see rising into the air.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I wonder how people would feel if there was a playable woman, but it wasn't Zelda. Alternate dimension female Link or something.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Also random thought, while we see the Master Sword only briefly as Link's arm gets attacked by Malice we don't see it again after that or know what happens to it. All the shots thereafter show Link without a sword or with a generic sword on his back. Would be cool if it fell down the cavern with Zelda and then she used it during her adventures underground.
I don't think she can use it. At least not in a powered up state.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm really interested in going back to Skyward Sword and trying to pay attention to anything they might have used for inspiration. Is Age of Calamity canon? I remember the demo introduced some shenanigans early on but based on some of the things we saw in the trailer I'm getting the itch to get my hands on any Zelda lore I can.
4oK2cns.png

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Why does everyone HAVE to play as Zelda and think we will?
Nothing at all in this trailer even remotely hinted that to me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't think she can use it. At least not in a powered up state.
That literally means nothing. It's nonsense they put in place to gatekeep the Master Sword a little bit in BotW. Plus Zelda wields Light magic that can fuck up like everything with ease, she's no weakling even if portrayed as delicate and dainty. It's a videogame and fiction, they can do whatever they want.
Oh yeah, that. I thought you meant Zelda was seen playable or something and I'm just like "oh you people are just setting yourselves up to be disappointed."
Yeah, no. Not at all. I'll speculate about a lot, but I have almost zero expectation Nintendo will actually do any of this shit.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I love the glimpse of new time-bending powers. That whole water droplet power looks like how Link might traverse from the ground to the islands in the sky?

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Why does everyone HAVE to play as Zelda and think we will?
Nothing at all in this trailer even remotely hinted that to me.

Exactly my thoughts. She looks more like she's dying than actually being playable. Nintendo do hide mechanics early on in their coverage and i doubt she's really going to die cause if she does, they wouldn't have shown it in a teaser. But like idk.. i just hope she isn't trapped again. She won't be a playable character atleast for the whole game tho.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo keeping that ''A Link to the Future'' subtitle close to the chest.

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
Was it ever confirmed that the corpse was Ganondorf's in the first trailer? Started to think it was not his.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how people would feel if there was a playable woman, but it wasn't Zelda. Alternate dimension female Link or something.

I honestly rather play a female Link (as in, no customizable gender, that's the sole gender you get) than Zelda tbh, if only because I'm more of a sword guy than a magic guy lol

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
I know it sounds dumb to say it but link ascending upward through a rock is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game haha

Not dumb, I agree! And the animation is so cool like he just gets sucked up there like "plop."

Also why are people crying that bokoblins return? Everyone wanted this to me like MM. That game had enemies from the first game, like deku scrubs. Also bokoblins feel more like "characters" because of their big personalities and varied behaviors this time, rather than simple enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
Not dumb, I agree! And the animation is so cool like he just gets sucked up there like "plop."

Also why are people crying that bokoblins return? Everyone wanted this to me like MM. That game had enemies from the first game, like deku scrubs. Also bokoblins feel more like "characters" because of their big personalities and varied behaviors this time, rather than simple enemies.

I don't think anyone is upset they are still here. I think there's just concern that enemy variety may not be much more than we had previously. There was one new enemy in the trailer, and mayyybe one other. I love all the enemies we already have in Botw, I just hope there's a lot more now.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there is any time travel involved, besides the time-reversal stuff with his hand. The Link in the sky and Link on the overworld are the same dude.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Something people also haven't mentioned is what if the Link that looks normal is taking place before the events of Link and Zelda in the caves? Obviously, they would have to figure out how to find the cave system so what if Link has to adventure around finding where that is, so it would go like this...

1. Link and Zelda go their separate ways after BOTW1 for a bit to find out more about the cave system
  2. They find the answer and go adventure the caves together
  3. Link and Zelda find "Ganondorf" and that's when the events of the hand and the world starts changing
  4. Link adventures through "Heaven and Hell" (Sky and Below the World)
  5. The Arm changes Link's appearance
The Sky World is more of a colourful world where Link discovers the history of Hyrule (Skyloft, Loftwings, et), where the Below the World is more of a dark, sinister place, where Nintendo will really lean into the more creepy and dark aspects of the Zelda Universe.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Does the land far below line up with anywhere in the original game map? Those trees look a bit like the 'dragon blood tree' ones in Hyrule Ridge

the trees below are the ones in the area of Hyrule where there is a lot of rain and thunder just west of Central Hyrule, and a shrine quest where you need to put 4 balls into position on a zonai ruin type structure.

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
I don't think anyone is upset they are still here. I think there's just concern that enemy variety may not be much more than we had previously. There was one new enemy in the trailer, and mayyybe one other. I love all the enemies we already have in Botw, I just hope there's a lot more now.

True, just saying because I saw some posts bemoaning their return. Another post said it's prob a good thing so they can focus on new enemies rather than a "bokoblin replacement." Here's to hoping!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Something people also haven't mentioned is what if the Link that looks normal is taking place before the events of Link and Zelda in the caves? Obviously, they would have to figure out how to find the cave system so what if Link has to adventure around finding where that is, so it would go like this...

1. Link and Zelda go their separate ways after BOTW1 for a bit to find out more about the cave system
  2. They find the answer and go adventure the caves together
  3. Link and Zelda find "Ganondorf" and that's when the events of the hand and the world starts changing
  4. Link adventures through "Heaven and Hell" (Sky and Below the World)
  5. The Arm changes Link's apperence
It's not because while not easy to see you can still tell that Link's right hand is transformed in all the shots. So there is no before and after cave scene. At least from what we've seen. They're all post cave with Link having the new arm.