• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Team Vs format already an uphill battle for me, but f2p certainly helps get my foot in the door at the very least.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the likes of Bamco or Capcom releasing a F2P until one of the Japanese publisher really tries it.

This does make me wonder if F2P fighters really take off what ArcSys will do as from what I can tell making a bunch of costumes for their characters seems like a bitch with how they animate/make there characters.

2 JP devs already have tried it, including Bamco. Poorly done, but an effort nonetheless.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Will have to see how it plays. i can't stand the arksystem anime fighting games so if its in line with those(looks similar at a glance)that will be me out. Even so I'm curious to watch from afar and hope it turns out well.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
If Project L is successful it'll change the entire scene.

Also they definitely need to add Teemo. He can be the Project L Hawkeye.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Illaoi is such a great choice.

illaoi-dev-banner-1-web-1920x1080-ttan-v01.png
Yes. I know nothing about her, but yes to that design. Finally.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Wach Arcane if you haven't already and that will change guaranteed.
Seconded. I'll also throw in that people should play "Ruined King", the turn-based RPG. I had no interest in League at all and those two pieces of media absolutely sucked me into the world.

Still won't play League tho, lmao

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seconded. I'll also throw in that people should play "Ruined King", the turn-based RPG. I had no interest in League at all and those two pieces of media absolutely sucked me into the world.

I got 150+ hours on Wild Rift because of Arcane lol. Was a total skin bitch but got to Diamond I solo...or Emerald, one of those.

I want my girl Seraphine in this game.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really like her design

Yeah I watched Arcane, I'll play Ruined King at some point, I'll play Project L, I'm curious about their MMO but I'll never touch actual LoL lol

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
My most hated champ, tho I always loved her design. Just hate facing someone who knows how to play her lol

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they'll play it like Multiversus and unlock every character for offline play and training mode. Every game, even those with DLC, should let you sample in training mode.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FUCKING

ILLAOI

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I AM SO FUCKING HYPE LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
User banned (3 days): Low effort drive-by
So basically a nothing update

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the likes of Bamco or Capcom releasing a F2P until one of the Japanese publisher really tries it.

This does make me wonder if F2P fighters really take off what ArcSys will do as from what I can tell making a bunch of costumes for their characters seems like a bitch with how they animate/make there characters.

They will continue selling their games because there's nothing wrong with the model and it appeals to different audiences.

F2P is not necessary, or good, for everything.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Project L is going to dominate the scene.

NRS titles are going to be the only ones charging full price with enough content to justify it.

I guess Japanese fighting game publishers and developers are going to struggle big time for the next couple of years.(except Smash)

Good luck competing with WB and Riot deep pockets.
Street Fighter 6 looks to be trying to justify the price tag, at the very least.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about LoL but that character looks great.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
People acting like fg players will just stop playing their favourite games because this game exists lmao

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Project L is going to dominate the scene.
Eh ...we'll see.

The fighting game genre can be tough to crack. Big games from established franchises can fail if the community doesnt like it for whatever reason.

Also, the whole "big IP + Free to play = going to dominate entire genre" predictions have not gone well recently so maybe a bit of restraint on that is in order.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eh ...we'll see.

The fighting game genre can be tough to crack. Big games from established franchises can fail if the community doesnt like it for whatever reason.

Also, the whole "big IP + Free to play = going to dominate entire genre" predictions have not gone well recently so maybe a bit of restraint on that is in order.

It's more the staff on this one combined with Riot's budget + IP. It would be extremely hard for it to fail.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear the official confirmation of F2P. As Tom said in the video, it's unsurprising if you play a lot of Riot games. How this game is monetized will be the real test for players. Will characters be easily attainable through gameplay? Will it have a Legends of Runeterra-esque model where you literally won't have to pay any money for new characters after a while? Will there be a $60 "buy every character" pack? Knowing Riot, probably not for that last one.

Also, seeing Illaoi is nice. After she was the main character of Ruined King, her inclusion was inevitable. She will likely be the first character who has effects that control the stage, so I'd like to see how the dev team handles that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm actually curious about how they handle tournaments. Most of the other games involve doing a separate competitive seen run by Riot themselves, but the FGC is inherently different in that a lot of the events are run by the community. Will Riot team up with those community members, or will they stick to their existing playbook & do their own tournaments (with EVO being the exception because of the Cannons)?

Likewise, will Riot force everyone to switch to PC since they have the money to make & maintain the set-ups on a large scale?

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious about how they handle tournaments. Most of the other games involve doing a separate competitive seen run by Riot themselves, but the FGC is inherently different in that a lot of the events are run by the community. Will Riot team up with those community members, or will they stick to their existing playbook & do their own tournaments (with EVO being the exception because of the Cannons)?

Likewise, will Riot force everyone to switch to PC since they have the money to make & maintain the set-ups on a large scale?
I'd think it would be smart to do a hybrid approach where they have their own scene with other FGC tourneys tangentially involved.

And we all going to PC eventually for this so do it now or get dragged kicking and screaming.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
People acting like fg players will just stop playing their favourite games because this game exists lmao
Project L being successful would be a huge win for every dev making a fighting game. The market for fighting is not like MOBAs where only a few can thrive. It's really in the best interest of all involved to try and elevate the genre as much as possible and try to break it through to new audiences.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it will make them move towards the modern era...But probably not.
But it will help those fighting games that are mainstream with F2P approach.

I wonder if MK might become F2P one day? Also curious how SF6 will fare against all of this. Smash will be fine probably.
I'm no fortune teller, but I would say no. Mainly because how can you do an M rated game on F2P? Especially MK who pushes M consistentIy. With what SF6 is adding, I don't think that will have a problem justifying what they charge.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd think it would be smart to do a hybrid approach where they have their own scene with other FGC tourneys tangentially involved.

And we all going to PC eventually for this so do it now or get dragged kicking and screaming.
The issue is that the aforementioned community events can't really afford to do that on such a large scale. Riot most definitely can, but that's why I'm asking. Especially since this game will probably be available for a consoles anyway (hopefully with cross-play)

If not happens, this could have repercussions for the entire FGC. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Sony has been scrambling to fix the input delay problems of PS5 (with MultiVersus being their first big success story), so they can solidify the system in tournaments next year before Riot tries to bring everyone to PC.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People here have already decided Project L is going to be a success, but that's far from guaranteed. It's Riot, so I'm sure they know the F2P model and netcode. Everything else though? It's like every other fighting game dev is a moron and getting everything right is obvious. It's not. Characters, moves, fighting system, music, graphics, UI, all of this is important and it's damn hard to get everything right.

Yes it's Riot, but it isnt like a bunch of League devs decided they wanted to make a fighting game. The people making the game aren't new to this. The Canon brothers are the creators of Evo, Rising Thunder, and GGPO, to name a few things. There's few people who know fighting games like they do. And that's not even getting to the rest of the experiencesd people on the team, people like Clockwork.

People are excited not just because of what they're hearing and seeing, but because they know the game is in really good hands.

So basically a nothing update

I'm really surprised you haven't been banned for being a troll account yet

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that the aforementioned community events can't really afford to do that on such a large scale. Riot most definitely can, but that's why I'm asking. Especially since this game will probably be available for a consoles anyway (hopefully with cross-play)

If not happens, this could have repercussions for the entire FGC. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Sony has been scrambling to fix the input delay problems of PS5 (with MultiVersus being their first big success story), so they can solidify the system in tournaments next year before Riot tries to bring everyone to PC.
Riot would have to help fund these tourneys if they want the FGC help.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe it will make them move towards the modern era...But probably not.
But it will help those fighting games that are mainstream with F2P approach.

I wonder if MK might become F2P one day? Also curious how SF6 will fare against all of this. Smash will be fine probably.
SF6 is probably the only other fighting game besides NRS games that's at least trying to justify the full price tag, so they should be fine. My concern is everyone else. And while Smash should generally be fine, they've been backsliding on single-player content lately.

Riot would have to help fund these tourneys if they want the FGC help.
Don't you mean "if they want to help the FGC"?

That said, yeah. It's not like Riot doesn't have the money to burn in doing so.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I think they will do like what Capcom does and have their own tournaments but then also do a big Evo event. I think the Canon brothers being such a big part of this game and also still having that tie to Evo makes it inevitable.

As for if it will be on PC for tournaments? Probably but will be interesting to see since we don't have any platforms but I can't see this not releasing on PS5 and Xbox. Compared to all of their other games, it needs no additional work to figure things out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some people have always been weird about this game.

Yes, I'm sure this game, made by a devteam that have never shipped a finished game, let alone a fighting game, will be the greatest thing ever and save fighting games as we know them.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Eh ...we'll see.

It's a Riot Game and it's F2P. It's going to be a massive success by default lol

Like it's going to make Multiversus 150k concurrent players look small.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Not sure why people keep saying it'll take over the scene. It's a game that's impossible to fail, but it is also a tag fighter so I don't think people will drop their games en masse to play this. I do think they'll pull in a lot of people who don't play fighting games rn though which is great for the FGC health.

That said, I am excited to see the fire they light under all the other FGC devs' collective asses wrt monetization and netcode

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Glad to hear the official confirmation of F2P. As Tom said in the video, it's unsurprising if you play a lot of Riot games. How this game is monetized will be the real test for players. Will characters be easily attainable through gameplay? Will it have a Legends of Runeterra-esque model where you literally won't have to pay any money for new characters after a while? Will there be a $60 "buy every character" pack? Knowing Riot, probably not for that last one.

Also, seeing Illaoi is nice. After she was the main character of Ruined King, her inclusion was inevitable. She will likely be the first character who has effects that control the stage, so I'd like to see how the dev team handles that.
F2P is both my biggest excitement and biggest concern for this game. I'm cool with paying for characters and cosmetics, but I do hope it doesn't nickel and dime people too bad, and I hope there's always a reasonably priced option to get all the released characters so far.