• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
CTgoD2C.png

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Two scenes I can't seem to get out of my head. The fight between Abby and Ellie the first time when you're actively choking her and also when she's pounding her face in and you see Ellie's eyes roll back. And also the scene after Ellie kills Nora. I felt for Ellie in this game in a way I've never felt for a video game character. Bravo ND.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to agree with others and say that I think I enjoyed the second section of the game more than the first now that I've thought about it. Abby has so many memorable moments and encounters like the Rat King and the whole island sequence and I remember for much of her section I was just glued to the TV screen and eager to see what would happen next.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I just realized something and I'm sure I'm gonna sounds like a clueless idiot because 99% of people probably realized this immediately, but when Owen is bleeding out he tried to say that Mel is pregnant, wasn't he?

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of another game where spoiler thread is much bigger than OT and has a second OT lol.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized something and I'm sure I'm gonna sounds like a clueless idiot because 99% of people probably realized this immediately, but when Owen is bleeding out he tried to say that Mel is pregnant, wasn't he?
That was my assumption too. After that Ellie goes over and check's Mel's stomach.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Two scenes I can't seem to get out of my head. The fight between Abby and Ellie the first time when you're actively choking her and also when she's pounding her face in and you see Ellie's eyes roll back. And also the scene after Ellie kills Nora. I felt for Ellie in this game in a way I've never felt for a video game character. Bravo ND.

Since i can't quote you last post since the thread lock lol .
But Abby having a peace of mind is also one of the reason what she warm up to lev so fast .

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
We bike! Thank you for the new thread.

While replaying the game and getting my thoughts together I have found a deep love for the way flashbacks, and Joel was handled throughout this game. After the inciting incident, the death of Joel, we are given an influx of flashbacks showing the development of his relationship with Ellie throughout the game. As I began to analyze the structure of this game, I found this to be one of many choices that gave greater weight to these story-beats. We're able to have even more valuable time with Joel, and get to see how Ellie and Joel's relationship strained after the events of TLOU1.

Without this structure I don't think the emotionally shattering ending is even possible. These flashbacks - these memories that Ellie and the player are experiencing coincide with Ellie's own psyche. I don't think Ellie's forgiveness of Joel, and in return her ability to end her conquest of vengeance is nearly as fully realized possible without this.

Huxley

Feb 20, 2019
The game was at its best for me when you were just out in the world among your companions. Its the chemistry between characters that make naughty dog game special for me. The Museum flashback and Aquarium scenes in particular were remarkably well done.

Having Ellie as a boss battle was a stroke of genius - that should have been how the game ended.

On the negative side, i felt the whole Wolfs vs Scars backdrop dragged the game away from its grounded roots. They clearly wanted a more "epic" feel but that never worked for me. There were too many scripted gameplay sequences out of the Uncharted playbook that felt out of place here.

The game ending on such a down note was a bit of a bummer too. I was hoping of a least a hint of redemption for either of them. Ellie approaching the Jackson gates for example would offer some hope for a return to normality while keeping things open ended.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the old thread, I said this about why Abby went to far to help Lev and Yara:

1. They saved Abby, but Abby also helped them escape so this might not be enough because it makes them "even".
2. Abby knows what its like to be a kid and to be displaced from your community with nowhere to go (like when the Fireflies fell apart).
3. Abby was a firefly before, and her dialogue with Owen suggests she feels that they have strayed from their path. Since fireflies are supposed to be the TLOU "good guys", maybe she felt she that urge to live up to her father's ideals- especially considering her nightmare is framed by her father's death.

I would have loved a journal for Abby as well to illustrate her own mental state though, I thought it was a great addition for Ellie.

Anyone have anything to add? Because its the only part of the story I'm kinda unsure about, like I get Abby going back to them after the night with Owen considering they were left for dead, but she went above and beyond what most would do in this kind of world when she went down to the hospital basement and went to the Seraphite island.

As a sidenote, I REALLY wish they kept Yara alive, or at least kept her alive until the Santa Barbra ambush, kinda makes that journey through hell to get Mel medical supplies feel pointless :/

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
When Ellie and Dina break up, that scene broke me. Ellie had a happy life and everything, but she was still stuck in Seattle :(
Since i can't quote you last post since the thread lock lol .
But Abby having a peace of mind is also one of the reason what she warm up to lev so fast .
Ya, she's accomplished what she set out to do, and outside of what she did to Joel she really wasn't a shitty person so it wasn't hard for me to believe her relationship with Yara and Lev.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The game was at its best for me when you were just out in the world among your companions. Its the chemistry between characters that make naughty dog game special for me. The Museum flashback and Aquarium scenes in particular were remarkably well done.

Having Ellie as a boss battle was a stroke of genius - that should have been how the game ended.

On the negative side, i felt the whole Wolfs vs Scars backdrop dragged the game away from its grounded roots. There were too many scripted sequences out of the Uncharted playbook that felt out of place here.

The game ending on such a down note was a bit of a bummer too. I was hoping of a least a hint of redemption for either of them. Ellie approaching the Jackson gates for example would offer some hope for a return to normality while keeping things open ended.
But that's what I loved about the ending so much, it leaves things up to interpretation, does she get her happy ending or no? I think it's ultimately up to the player, and I really hope they don't create DLC or a Part III to answer that question. The ending was perfect imo.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Gonna started a 2nd playthrough, this time try to appreciate Abbys section more.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

On the negative side, i felt the whole Wolfs vs Scars backdrop dragged the game away from its grounded roots. There were too many scripted sequences out of the Uncharted playbook that felt out of place here.

You saw the redemption for Abby with Lev and now we have to see Ellie turn.
They story was showing two points of view with one of it's themes one person going after revenge and a person that already had it .
Ended the same way for both just broken people but Abby have Lev and now Ellie has to make her own way .

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
But that's what I loved about the ending so much, it leaves things up to interpretation, does she get her happy ending or no? I think it's ultimately up to the player, and I really hope they don't create DLC or a Part III to answer that question. The ending was perfect imo.

I respect that but I think Ellie deserves a definitive and conclusive ending.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Well, that's why the ending of the first game was so good too.

I don't want to see a part III either but I won't be surprised at all to see it happen.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So.... in that last playable scene with Abby and Lev they mention maybe getting a boat and going to other countries. Japan is across the sea... am I crazy in hoping that somehow TLOU3 would take place in Japan..?! Yeah I know it won't be a thing but my god I want to see how this all planned out around the world. There's obviously going to be some other places that fared better and other doctors and scientists, I want to see Ellie eventually end up being used to create a cure. We need some kind of happy ending at the end of all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.