• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm noticing these weird magnetism flare-ups in the animations, did they comment if this was particular to the preview build? It's weirdly distracting, given how much can be going on in the scene.

fingerse6k1j.gif
shirtyvjt9.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... In the gameplay with no commentary, one of the enemies yelled "DAD" after you burned one of the guys alive with a molotov. Naughty Dog isn't playing around in this game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This really does look great. I'm not super hyped for it, but I probably will pick it up just because it seems to be doing some very interesting things.

he even said boss fights! I had wished for that a couple days ago in another thread.

one reason I really can't get around to finishing the first one is the more weighty movement just doesn't feel as good and snappy to me as something like MGSV. More agile Ellie should help a lot with that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty wowed by the trailer but admittedly a bit underwhelmed by the lack of detail in that Seattle neighborhood from one of the press videos, that area in particular looked quite current gen and not much above UC4's environments. But hey its one small area and the outdoor snowy vistas look great (thought not really besting RDR2 either), plus I'm sure we're in store for some mighty impressive city environments. I'm sure this will be a GOTG candidate easily in terms of scope.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
The best thing about all this footage is that despite how incredible it all is, we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Let's just say that the final game ends up being about 25 hours long. That means the press only played about 10% of the total game since they only played 3 hours.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The best thing about all this footage is that despite how incredible it all is, we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Let's just say that the final game ends up being about 25 hours long. That means the press only played about 10% of the total game since they only played 3 hours.

honestly as a story focused guy that just makes me apprehensive - endings are everything

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does the hole in the door all of a sudden have wooden planks covering it after she enters the room? In the video, Neil states that this is something akin to a boss fight, but that would be so weird if they gate the player by planking up the entrance after you enter. WTF?

Also no, the gif is missing frames but basically the clicker is making the wood planks fall when it's attacking that's why it's fallen over the door.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Honestly, I want them to show more. People played 3 hours at the preview event and all they allow the rest of us to see is ~10 minutes of b-roll gameplay. I don't need more story stuff. Just more enemy encounter footage. I want to see more of the highly praised AI, and more if the new mechanics in action.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing these weird magnetism flare-ups in the animations, did they comment if this was particular to the preview build? It's weirdly distracting, given how much can be going on in the scene.

fingerse6k1j.gif
Is that motion matching at work? It's like her hand "morphs" into a more appropriate pose.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I want them to show more. People played 3 hours at the preview event and all they allow the rest of us to see is ~10 minutes of b-roll gameplay. I don't need more story stuff. Just more enemy encounter footage. I want to see more of the highly praised AI, and more if the new mechanics in action.
Same here.
I know playable demos are pretty much dead in this day and age, but it'd really cool if they would release that vs. humans mission at some point in the future

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Meticulous Detail – Naughty Dog elevates the visual fidelity of this grounded world to new heights. Your horse's muscles flex and jiggle as it gallops. Tall grass ripples and tree bows flex with the wind. Ellie contorts her face in intense focus as she silently takes down enemies. Upgrading weapons at a workbench rewards you with strikingly detailed animations like swapping out a shotgun's magazine. The authenticity is astounding.
Expanded Abilities – Supplements can still be collected to unlock abilities. New to The Last of Us Part II, players can choose from multiple skill upgrade paths to customize Ellie to their playstyle and we got to see just some of these in action. Survival focuses on improving health, expanding Listen Mode's range, and throw distance. Crafting lets her create melee upgrades, add smoke to stun bombs, and increase her crafting speed. Stealth improves prone movement speed, speeds up stealth kills, and unlocks pistol silencers. I love the newfound choice to evolve Ellie's capabilities to my playstyle (Stealth worked great for me!)
Silencers – Canisters are a new crafting material that let Ellie attach handmade suppressors to her semi-automatic pistol. This makes her next three shots dead silent, expanding Ellie's strategic options in the field. As a stealth-focused player, I found great relief upgrading my silencer's durability.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While the visuals and gameplay improvements are getting a lot of attention, the sound design seems like a huge leap forward for ND in general. It sounds like some DICE war tapes-type stuff. Everything is loud and punchy.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Of course gameplay is not gonna look as perfect as initial reveal trailers.
Expect it to look as good for ps5.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit. Dina/Ellie make too many jokes about shooting each other and killing each other...is that them letting our guard down or obvious foreshadowing?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit. Dina/Ellie make too many jokes about shooting each other and killing each other...is that them letting our guard down or obvious foreshadowing?

That, just like the trailer, seems way too on the nose. I think that dialog is just showing you their sense of humor. That and just showing you the type of world they're in. Death is all around them so it's something they always have to think of.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

They were born in that world. It's everything they've known. Which is why i think this game is going to be much more...gory. Joel is still from "our days".
Ellie has only known this life. I'm sure she's gonna do something that even us, the players will be shocked. They will address this somehow.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... In the gameplay with no commentary, one of the enemies yelled "DAD" after you burned one of the guys alive with a molotov. Naughty Dog isn't playing around in this game.
I don't give a shit about any of these NPCs if all they do is kill anybody who enters their territory. Burn them all. I'll try not to kill any dogs though. I loved that 'Dad!' detail.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a shit about any of these NPCs if all they do is kill anybody who enters their territory. Burn them all. I'll try not to kill any dogs though. I loved that 'Dad!' detail.
Tommy's faction almost kills Joel and Ellie in TLoU1 due to trespassing on their turf. I feel it's a pretty reasonable stance in TLoU's world. I'm actually going to try and not kill them I think.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
One thing I noticed is that human enemies use other craft items besides Molotovs, as there was a scene where a guy threw a smoke bomb at Ellie and it looked like it stunned her a bit.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Another cool detail

Most interesting to me in this part of the demo was glancing over to a fellow Aussie journalist's game running next to me and seeing a vast difference in the way his game was playing out compared to mine. He'd been playing the methodical, calculated killer all the way through, whereas at about the halfway point I decided I was going to try and just leg it. Where his game continued to present plenty of opportunity for small, thoughtful encounters that supported a stealth approach, in my game the WLF were mounting an all-out offensive that led to them pushing me through an almost scripted-feeling path through all the same areas that I would've otherwise been sneaking through. I asked game designer Emilia Schatz about this in our post-demo interview and she confirmed that the AI in the game is indeed designed to adapt to different playstyles and will even script in new enemies and situations to keep players on the right path no matter how they choose to get there.

I don't think it's really a spoiler since Halley came out and said it in an interview, but we know the source of Ellie's tattoo now. I'll put it in a spoiler for those that don't want to know.
She got it from an ex-girlfriend named Kat.
I can't stress how much I appreciate the game
having Ellie talk about a former lover
it makes the character feel much more real and more human.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Tommy would have probably voted for Trump. They all deserve to die! :D
Lol. And well yeah, they probably aren't nice people so I can understand showing no mercy. But I'm a sucker, also killing someone's dog that has a name (even if it wants to eat me and is virtual) just makes me feel too much like a bastard, I can't orphan dogs either.