• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in so deep on my coffee habit that I'd happily pay $25-30 CAD for 12-ounce bags I'm normally paying $19-21 for right now. It's dirt cheap and makes so many quality cups. Once you've had good South American or African coffee bean varietals it's hard to go back! I'd like to think that if producers in counties affected by climate change and the downward trending coffee prices were compensated better things would improve but the climate change aspect is another discussion entirely since it's making it hard to grow in the usual spots.

Check out Luna from BC. I was paying intentional shipping for a bit to the US for it because it's that damn good. They also do a lot of education and work to let you know about the entire supply chain of their lots

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
That is the first time I read about such problem and I live in Brazil. I mean, surely climate change will affect agriculture, but I've never seen anyone talking about how it will affect coffee production. Cocoa on the other hand is the go to affected crop when people talk about climate change effects. Also the vido mainly focuses on Colombia and it even shows data of production decreasing already happening and when I went to look into our data it still seems that our production is increasing. I guess Colombia has a smaller area and as such may be the first one to notice such changes.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong. Coffee comes from specific regions for a reason. The soil, elevation, humidity, etc all have various impacts. Some varietals have been brought to other regions and started but you can't just fire up a coffee farm in California.

Not now, but in 2050 climate maybe? There's bound to have new regions..

At the same time, if climate is that drastic by 2050, we'll have a shitload more global problems than a morning cup of coffee

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh it's gonna take some time before it goes the way of the dodo. Sucks for newborns and younger generations.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, what they're doing at Atomo sounds good then, engineering a caffeine drink that tastes like coffee but is created by different plant parts.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So us coffee snobs need to convince everyone to stop buying cheap shitty coffee so that the good stuff can still be farmed in a way that makes profit?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
That feeling of not being a coffee addict

tenor.gif

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Watch how people start caring about climate change once coffee shortages start happening.

But real talk, I've been trying to get off of coffee & switch to tea, but I don't know how I feel about putting creamer in tea. The only thing I can stomach is vanilla chai.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No longer regretting our coffee surplus when there was a weird special of buying coffee to get special Marvelous Ms Maisle Haggadahs.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I used to feel like I could take or leave coffee, and then I was introduced to the world of freshly ground, pour-over coffee every morning. So tasty, and it would break my heart to give it up. Have no problem paying a bit more for a bag of fresh beans if that would help.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't give two shits about coffee itself, let alone those who "can't function" without it, but for those producing it and the countries/regions that greatly rely on it for their economy it will be devastating and make an already unstable world that much worse. Especially if they cannot transition to newer more viable crops and just go bust completely, in which case we'll see a lot of poverty and unrest. Chocolate is likely to crash as it too relies on a similar narrow band of equatorial climate to grow and also relies on extremely cheap(exploited) labor and thousands upon thousands of independent growers and harvesters who have no means or support to help shore up against coming changes in climate that will likely destroy their crops and viable land. Good times.

Oct 26, 2017
I have been to the Jamaican Blue Mountains last year and talked to one of the Blue Mountain Coffee farmers.
They are getting ripped off hard. The government passed a regulation that requires the local farmers to sell their coffee through international corporations. And these corporations engage in price dumping, despite Blue Mountain coffee being very thought after. They also were caught mixing the Blue Mountain coffee with cheap random coffee and sold it to Japan. The Japanese found out and the entire Japanese market for Blue Mountain coffee was gone.

The farmers tried to organize and make their voices heard, but they are up against huge multinational corporations that they also rely on for export logistics. It was such a depressing situation.
yep. Coffee farmers, even those from prestigious regions like Hawaii Blue Mountains are being driven into indentured servitude. That's why it's important to support local cooperatives to give them a leg to stand on when dealing with global distributors.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Coffee is part of my multi-stage wake-up process in the morning, so I hope they can save it. And no, I'm not drinking a can of pop in the morning like some of you degenerates.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I could live without coffee due to green tea, but if I had to live without any caffeine I'm not sure if I would be able to function the same. I would probably need to change jobs to a more traditional 9 to 5. Or gain weight by drinking a lot of diet soda.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this yesterday and I won't lie, it's alarming for me. I'm a deep coffee nerd, I have 3-4 bags of freshly roasted coffee sent to me monthly and I'm chummy with the City of Saints roasters in NY. My morning drip Coffee is my daily ritual that gives me my first success of the day to get me going. Not sure what I'd do without it, but I'm willing to pay $30 for the good stuff.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong. Coffee comes from specific regions for a reason. The soil, elevation, humidity, etc all have various impacts. Some varietals have been brought to other regions and started but you can't just fire up a coffee farm in California.
the literally do grow coffee in california though. it's one of the two states that do (Hawaii is the other)

www.npr.org

Eureka! California-Grown Coffee Is Becoming The State's Next Gold Mine

Sure, a cup of California-grown coffee sells for about $18 a cup, but people are buying it. The niche industry is booming with no signs of slowing, and the state's farmers still can't meet demand.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, a good reason to look down on those Maxwell house swigging fools. I'm doing it to save the planet. I've waited my whole life for this.
This. I drink coffee that is of excellent quality and where I know the farmers are getting paid well due to the distributor's relationship with them. People, try to do this in order to make coffee farmer's lives better.

Oct 25, 2017
the literally do grow coffee in california though. it's one of the two states that do (Hawaii is the other)

www.npr.org

Eureka! California-Grown Coffee Is Becoming The State's Next Gold Mine

Sure, a cup of California-grown coffee sells for about $18 a cup, but people are buying it. The niche industry is booming with no signs of slowing, and the state's farmers still can't meet demand.

I vaguely recall this happening because coffee people were pretty annoyed with Blue Bottle buying the lot

5 years to fully mature and only 250lbs isn't a whole lot.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Coffee disappearing will be a huge motivator for a lot of people to combat climate change.
Haha that's what I was thinking.

Like oh shit! I'm gonna lose my favourite vice, climate change really is affecting us all!!!!! Who could have seen this coming, we were blind...blah blah

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened with chocolate too.

All that happened was they cut less cocoa into it, raised prices, and shrunk sizes.
Same things they always do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You think coffee will be the last thing to come under threat from climate change?
I didn't say that, so no.
So because you're not a coffee it's been "a long time coming"? You sound like one of those fanboys who if they don't like a game they actively want it to fail and try to ruin it for everybody else too.
What? No. It's been talked about for years that it's unsustainable. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it. What are you on about?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
More people seem to care that they are cool for not liking coffee than climate change.

Straight up proof humans don't care about shit till it directly affects them which is why climate change is popping off to begin with...

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Coffee's a pretty important crop for the countries that grow it. Hope something can be figured out.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I could live without coffee due to green tea, but if I had to live without any caffeine I'm not sure if I would be able to function the same. I would probably need to change jobs to a more traditional 9 to 5. Or gain weight by drinking a lot of diet soda.
I tried quitting and my productivity took a massive hit.

I now understand why some people in the cooperate world are psychotic without it.