• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing will probably win this over TLoU. If it hadn't been 2020 a bleak game like that would win but it was just too much this year.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My predictions for awards. I'm just guessing, but these are what seem most likely to me. I think GOTY is a tossup between TLOU, AC, and Hades personally. I could easily see them doing what they've done in years past and give the best Direction to TLOU and GOTY to one of the other games.

Unlike last year I think Hades is pretty much a lock for Indie Game of the year. I could see it go on a tear like Disco did last year.
  • Game of the Year - The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Direction - The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Ongoing Game - Destiny 2
  • Best Narrative - The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Art Direction - Ori 2 or Ghost of Tsushima
  • Best Score/Music - Hades (Darren Korb)
  • Best Indie game - Hades
  • Best Family (Nintendo) game - Animal Crossing
  • Best Strategy - Crusader Kings 3
  • Best Action - Doom Eternal
  • Best Action/Adventure game - Ghost of Tsushima
  • Best RPG - FF7 Remake
  • Best Performance - Ashley Johnson

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely TLOU2's to lose, but I think AC has a decent shot given the fan vote and how broad the voting body is. Plus I could see many gravitating towards the 'feel good' game with how utterly fucked 2020 has been.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I hope Ghost of Tsushima does well and wins an award somewhere. I really feel like Sucker Punch deserves it. The game is outstanding.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like that's going to be tough for a game that barely sneaks in before the cutoff. Probably not enough of the jury will have even played it.
Yea.... But if they have a best RPG category maybe it can be nominated there since outside of FFVII I don't remember this year having that many RPGs.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to see Crash 4 nominated for best art direction and best family game. Geoff seems to have a special place in his heart for the IP.

Nov 21, 2017
GOTY nominations that are a lock IMO
The Last of Us Part II
Hades
Animal Crossing

Most Likely GOTY Nominations:
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Half-Life Alyx
Ghost of Tsushima

Wildcard GOTY Nominations:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls Remake
Doom Eternal

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I didn't rate the original The Last of Us that highly.
I thought that The Last of Us 2 was dramatically improved over the original, and could have been in the runnings.
But if Half-Life: Alyx doesn't win Game of the Year, it's because not enough people played Half-Life: Alyx.

I can see Animal Crossing getting a lot of votes due to the pandemic, but I had a lot of issues with it.
I don't like how the game is structured at all, and think it's worse than many of the earlier entries in a lot of ways.
I've been thinking about making a topic to discuss that for a while now.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hope FF7R gets recognised for at least one award. Are there any other noteworthy RPGs released this year?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last of Us 2
FF VII:R
Hades
Animal Crossing
Dreams
Half Life

And the winner will be: Last of Us 2

Well, at least that is my prediction.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm rooting for half life alyx but we pretty much know tlou2 is going to win. it's pretty much oscar bait in video game form.
geoff better get some good world premieres to make the show interesting this year

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely TLOU2's to lose, but I think AC has a decent shot given the fan vote and how broad the voting body is. Plus I could see many gravitating towards the 'feel good' game with how utterly fucked 2020 has been.

I don't know about that, the AC audience might be huge, but they probably don't care all that much about Game Awards whereas TLOU2 fans obviously do.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
What's everyone thinking the nominees will be?

Half Life: Alex
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Hades
The Last of Us part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Animal Crossing

Those sound about right to me.
Yeah, pretty much expecting these although I could see Fall Guys or Dreams being a wildcard spoiling someone's party, probably at the expense of Hades or Ghost of Tsushima.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be an interesting year; GOTY surely has to go to either TLOU2 or AC:NH, but they couldn't be more different. (Among us doesn't get included in the votes because it's actually an old game, right?). I guess I would lean towards it being TLOU because basically every year is won by the biggest third person action game, with only one exception in overwatch since 2014.

If TLOU loses to Animal crossing, there's going to be a hilarious amount of salt.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Ghost of Tsushima does well and wins an award somewhere. I really feel like Sucker Punch deserves it. The game is outstanding.

Yeah Ghost of Tsushima absolutely deserves an award. Remarkably beautiful game.

Echoing what others have said about Crash 4 as well. The art direction is phenomenal. Gorgeous game.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
While FFVII:R is my personal GoTY, I really, really hope Hades and ACNH sweep the awards. They 100% deserve it, and it would be incredible to see a non-Blockbuster/gritty game win.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎

nice visuals

2HRxqv8.gif

Biiru

Oct 29, 2017
The Last of Us 2 deserves the GOTY award. Animal Crossing could win it too, but I hope COD Warzone gets a nomination too!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's sad barely anyone is even mentioning Flight Simulator. It's easily the crowning technical achievement of the year and deserves a nomination at minimum.

May 5, 2018
Microsoft Flight Sim is totally deserving of the nomination for GOTY. The problem though is the same problem that FE3H had last year where it's in a genre that TGA doesn't usually nominate for the overall GOTY category. Typically they nominate games in the action/shooter, action-adventure or RPG genres for the big prize while sometimes nominating a game from a different genre when it's a megaton success (ex. Smash Bros in 2019 as the 1 fighting game to get a GOTY nom).

Since no one is really talking about the other categories, I'll fireball my predictions for a few of the other categories this year:

Best Art Direction:
  • Dreams (A game that's all about creating your own art)
  • Hades (Lots of stylish and hot mythical Greek Figures)
  • Ghosts of Tsushima (game looks super pretty and has that classic black and white samurai film mode)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (The champion for this award in 2015 is back and looks better and nicer than ever).
  • Spiritfarer (Lovely artwork in this game and has some fantastic animation in it too. Personally rooting for this or Hades for this award)
Best Family Game (won't be the Nintendo award entirely this time around, although the winner will still be a Nintendo game:
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons (DING DING DING)
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Bugsnax
  • Crash 4 It's About Time
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
Best Fighting Game (I'm weirdly interested in this award to see what on Earth gets nominated. But I got a feeling it'll look like this):
  • Granblue Fantasy Versus (one of the favorites to win since it's the only non indie, full fledged fighter to release in 2020)
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath/Ultimate (Huge expansion and the other favorite, or even more so, to win this award)
  • My Hero's One Justice 2 (the WTF Jump Force Nomination this year)
  • Street Fighter 5 Championship Edition
  • Them's Fightin' Herds (ok, a wishful thinking nomination on my part, but dang this game deserves it with its top tier online play, amazing story mode and boppin' OST).

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sincerely hope Half Life Alyx gets some attention here. So many dismiss it because VR is a relatively small install base, and less folks are able to play it and that's a shame, but it deserves the attention. It's one of the coolest videogame experiences I've ever played, and definitely a VR killer app.

TLoU2 will likely win GotY and deservedly so.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
just posting here to guess the nominations:
Hades, Demon's Souls Remake, Last of Us Part 2, Half-Life Alyx, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Doom Eternal

Last of Us will win.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This year's Game Awards, for the first time, has carved out one category — Most Anticipated Game — to be exclusively decided by fan votes on Twitter.
Fans will have the opportunity to vote for the 2020 Game Awards' Most Anticipated Game via Twitter DMs and share the vote to their timelines. The nominees will be announced Wednesday, Nov. 18, at 9 a.m. PT, and shortly thereafter voting will open on Twitter for the Most Anticipated Game (which will comprise six nominees). The other Game Awards categories, including the marquee trophy for Game of the Year, will be open to fan voting on thegameawards.com.
https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/game-awards-2020-twitter-exclusive-voting-1234832825/

Status
Not open for further replies.