• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The GOTY 2020 is?

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 800 20.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 519 13.2%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 364 9.3%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 160 4.1%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 1,427 36.3%
  • Hades

Votes: 657 16.7%

• Total voters

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I enjoyed AC:NH, the multiplayer kind of sucks so it's difficult to see how it hangs in the best MP category. Still, a fairly solid list of games, even if Paper Mario and Tell Me Why were done dirty

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
My personal GOTY, Half Life Alyx, should be on this list. Shocked that it is missing with stuff like Doom Eternal making the cut (played both to completion).

On this list, my favorite is TLOU 2. It will probably win if I were to guess. I haven't played Hades yet, and I'm not it will jive with me. I'm also shocked to see that none of the fall released made it on the list (Demon's Souls says hi)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Also while I don't expect it for overall GotY category, but I'm legitimately surprised Star Wars Squadrons is not in ANY category on this.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm mildly annoyed royal is in best rpg honestly. If we're counting the game for the awards at all, it should be present in a lot more categories than just best rpg.

And if not because it's a rerelease with added content, why include it at all?

kinda hard to ignore the highest metacritic game of 2020 I guess

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
For me, TLOUII cleans house. However, I would not be shocked if Hades takes GOTY. Depends on who is on the Jury because games media LOVED Hades.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm more interested in Best RPG, there are some really good games in that category but wasteland 3 was my hands down.

Edit: Also just noticed that it's the Only Western RPG on the list? Were there any other major WRPGs that came out this year, can't think of one off the top of my head.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they didn't, Animal crossing probably outsold the other 5 entrants combined, lol. It rightfully has a much larger audience than all of those games.

The only reason TLOU2 is even in the running is because these awards are always heavily biased towards whatever the big third person game is for that year.

Or maybe TLOU2 was nominated because it is truly a phenomenal game...? Yeah, that is probably it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they didn't, Animal crossing probably outsold the other 5 entrants combined, lol. It rightfully has a much larger audience than all of those games.

The only reason TLOU2 is even in the running is because these awards are always heavily biased towards whatever the big third person game is for that year.

Luckily, they're rewarding the best game, not the one that sold the most.

Oct 19, 2018
tumblr_orepntVwzt1tz8qg0o2_250.gifv

Oct 25, 2017
Rating obviously doesn't matter for this or Half Life Alyx would be on this list.
Half Life Alyx also requires a fairly hefty rig + VR so the barrier for entry is obviously higher. It's no surprise that there are journalists out there who didn't get a chance to try it out compared to the other - more accessible - titles.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Going for Ghost since its an underdog or FF7R since it was amazing which surpassed my expectations.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see Streets of Rage nominated. Should have been nominated for the music as well.

What does the 2019 star wars game doing there?

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Doom Eternal is an interesting one, given how little it did for critics...
Waiting for it on GamePass myself, but my expectations have been set.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Half Life Alyx also requires a fairly hefty rig + VR so the barrier for entry is obviously higher. It's no surprise that there are journalists out there who didn't get a chance to try it out compared to the other - more accessible - titles.

That shouldn't be the point though. "Best game" is supposed to mean "best game". Not "best game enjoyed on the most mass market console with the most mass market appeal" or we might as well just give GTA5 and Fortnite the win every year.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great list. FF7 was the only one I haven't played but all the others are games I played a ton of this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal doesn't stand a chance, though I wish it would. A combat masterclass that pulls zero punches.

TLoU 2 was great though. I got really invested in its narrative and characters and the gameplay is excellent. Bonus points for pissing off alt-right snowflakes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprising to see Ghost of Tsushima on there considering it's average reviews.

Ori really did get robbed lol.

I think it makes sense. It's a solid, very good looking title, and the free multiplayer might've helped

I wouldn't have nominated it either I suppose, but I ain't baffled by it

FF7R has way too many flaws to belong on a GOTY list.

Nah it more than belongs, probably would've been an easy GOTY choice for me if I wasn't mixed on the ending

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Ori not being in the GOTY category is a bad joke.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
Carrion was an interesting choice. It was fun but wasn't that impressive to me.

Anyway, I hope Laura Bailey wins because I like the idea of idiots losing their shit for no reason.

As long as it doesn't lead into more abuse that is.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
alyx got snubbed.

rapha also got snubbed from best esports player. dude had an absolutely tragic year and gave a great performance at quakecon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal doesn't stand a chance, though I wish it would. A combat masterclass that pulls zero punches.

TLoU 2 was great though. I got really invested in its narrative and characters and the gameplay is excellent. Bonus points for pissing off alt-right snowflakes.
I honestly think Eternal might have won if it came out last year without the delay.

Oct 25, 2017
That shouldn't be the point though. "Best game" is supposed to mean "best game". Not "best game enjoyed on the most mass market console with the most mass market appeal" or we might as well just give GTA5 and Fortnite the win every year.
Right, and my point is that the barrier to entry is super high and there are probably a lot of people out there that didn't experience it and thus didn't vote for it because how could they? Astro Bot never got nominated in 2018 despite being one of the highest rated titles for example. VR is still niche.

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at not including Crash 4 or Ori 2
I wish CB4 was there too, but I'm honestly surprised it wasn't nominated for best art direction...the game is gorgeous.
At the very least I'm glad it was nominated for best family game, but I'm expecting a pretty predictable Animal Crossing victory for that one.
I'd be shocked if CB4 won it over AC or even Fall Guys.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Come on VII Remake!

Honestly hope it gets Soundtrack at least, the absolute love and attention that went into the soundtrack is amazing.

So proud of Hades!!

Genshin not getting a soundtrack nomination is a wtf!

Honestly think TLOU2 will take GOTY though I would love VII to get it.

Hope Laura wins performance to piss off the idiots.. she was amazing.

I

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario: The Origami King isn't in best score and music. I no longer care. I hope Animal Crossing wins. Among Us should be in best ongoing game. Feels like there's a lack of variety in every category but GOTY.