• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a limited amount of spaces? If so, not quite sure because I haven't played a majority of these games. If I had to I would take out RE2 because its a remake, a solid one at that but not an incredible one.

I see, didn't know when the date was since Death Stranding just came out.

Yeah, Days Gone did not receive the credit it deserves from a lot of outlets. Its one of my favorite games of this gen.

Well, I haven't played Death Stranding but I think it's unusual to have what has been described as a delivery game to be nominated. Regardless of who makes it, that is rather odd.
Why? The gameplay loop is phenomenal and has tons of depth. Just because it's something we haven't seen before in the AAA space doesn't mean it can't be good.

like, this is the type of rhetoric that discourages innovation and explained why so many AAA devs don't take risks and stick to the same formula.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd definitely give it to Control for GOTY.

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry but I cant take anything seriously if this committee resulted in Norman Reedus being nominated but not Tommie Earl Jenkins.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why? The gameplay loop is phenomenal and has tons of depth. Just because it's something we haven't seen before in the AAA space doesn't mean it can't be good.

like, this is the type of rhetoric that discourages innovation and explained why so many AAA devs don't take risks and stick to the same formula.

Yeah, the premise of a game has absolutely no bearing on its quality. Seems like a weird thing to get hung up on, especially when in many ways it being something so different is why it can stand out as well. The world in Death Stranding is genuinely a really cool setup.

I feel like that about some of the RE2 talk as well. It being a remake doesn't mean it isn't original...it's nothing like the original game at all, lol.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's far from a lock to win goty. People thought rdr2 was a lock. People thought uncharted 4 was a lock.
The hype is still up, people are in the honey moon phase, haven't even finished it yet in many cases, so it's fresh in everybody's mind, and it got lots of 10/10 from media outlets and fans call it the best game ever. And it's Kojima who got out of the Konami situation.

It'll win.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Death Stranding is definitely gonna win, i didn't play it since i'll wait for the PC port so i can't say if it will deserve it or not, but i voted Control, which even if not at Alan Wake and Max Payne level to me it's still a great Remedy game

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but I cant take anything seriously if this committee resulted in Norman Reedus being nominated but not Tommie Earl Jenkins.

Mads was good and I liked Norman Reedus' performance well enough but Tommie Earl Jenkins stole the show for sure. Was thinking it would be great if he was nominated for best performance, but oh well.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
NGL I am LOVING the Death Stranding salt.
I've never seen a game make some people so angry.

Its fascinating to watch.

I feel like Death Stranding wins because they want that moment of Kojima accepting the award.

If DS wins its because it got the most audience+judge panel votes.
You're pushing some conspiracy stuff saying its just because some nebulous ''they'' want Kojima to accept an award lol

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
The true distinction between the "Action" category and the "Action Adventure" always eluded me.
- Does Metro Exodus not have enough adventure?
- Does DMCV have more in common with COD: MW than with Sekiro?

At a glance, it appears that the games in the latter category are all slower-paced, relatively, but by that measurement, BL3 becomes a strong outlier imo.

Similarly, nearly all the games in the former category share the common characteristic of being more linear. That is, except Metro Exodus.
It like the more I look the more confusing it gets

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash bros leading the poll is mind bending, it's such a generic boring game.

Resident Evil 2 needs to win.

and Modern Warfare being nominated for best multiplayer is complete bollocks.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Jedi Fallen Order was robbed. Mightn't deserve the win, but at least should have had a nomination. Or was it too late for consideration?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Control being nominated this many times makes me happy as fuck.

That game deserves more hype.

Beyond being arguably the best implementation of RTX we have seen, the level of detail in the environments is absolutely insane.

And while it does take a moment to really get the action going....its more of an Adventure game than an all out Action game.
And on that front its absolutely stellar.
Any game with Codex as deep as Control deserves praise.....that is proper proper world building, by the time you are 2 hours in the game you really feel like you are in the oldest house and have "an" understanding of whats going on in this world.

Congrats to Remedy, and well done 505Games for actually publishing this....the world needed to see this game.

P.S Winner of best performance has to be Dr Casper.
If you havent played Control and dont mind being spoiled.....just Youtube Dr Casper highlights.
Incredible.

tumblr_py6tnbXYZg1tr7twqo1_400.png

P.P.S Control with headphones is some intense shit, when you are still weak its borderline horror level.....the chanting was legit making me feel uneasy.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Still can't believe Ace Combat 7 didn't even get a nod for best music/audio, let alone action game.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The hype is still up, people are in the honey moon phase, haven't even finished it yet in many cases, so it's fresh in everybody's mind, and it got lots of 10/10 from media outlets and fans call it the best game ever. And it's Kojima who got out of the Konami situation.

It'll win.

RDR2 was also in its honeymoon phase when it lost, and the last four winners all released before June, so that argument doesn't hold up.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Baba is You only get one nomination and for Ape Out not to get a nomination in the audio department.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Not played DS , largely because pretty sure it is not my type of game...my favs of the year are Control , Luigi ( which is a gem) and Days Gone which I loved but gets no awards love 🥴

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

I'm not saying it isn't good. I am quite interested in Death Stranding and I am excited to play it when I have the chance.

I was responding to the guy who said it wasn't unusual that Shenmue or Days Gone were nominated. Which is why I brought up Death Stranding, because for example Shenmue is very hit or miss with a lot of people because of its slow-pace gameplay. And Death Stranding seems to be similar in that regard.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Death Stranding is going to win GotY considering the fan reception was far more positive than the critic reception as far as I could tell, and critic/jury voting makes up 90% of the vote.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not saying it isn't good. I am quite interested in Death Stranding and I am excited to play it when I have the chance.

I was responding to the guy who said it wasn't unusual that Shenmue or Days Gone were nominated. Which is why I brought up Death Stranding, because for example Shenmue is very hit or miss with a lot of people because of its slow-pace gameplay. And Death Stranding seems to be similar in that regard.

I only saw a little bit of Shenmue 3 but that game has one disadvantage compared to DS in that it's lacks the polish of the latter. Imagine if 10+ years of video games hasn't come out in between 2 and 3.

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
I didnt play Death Stranding so I dont know but..
I'm seeing a lot of approval here for Mads' nomination, now I'm curious to see his performance in-game.

Can anyone link their favorite Mads' scene from that game?

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want death stranding to sweep, mostly because it's a good game, but partially because i want to see the salt.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I want death stranding to sweep, mostly because it's a good game, but partially because i want to see the salt.
Poor Era if DS wins..

I'd like it.

I don't get this. Why do people want to see more toxicity in a landscape already filled with it? It's not like that "salt" won't be met with rude, dismissive arguments from the other side. Nobody's going to look good in the inevitable flame wars that a DS win would bring.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
No Astral Chain nominations for Art Design or Music makes me sad. It's a gloriously polished game in all departments and altough i personally prefer it, i just don't think it'll beat DMC 5 in the Action category.

All in for Smash as GOTY though. It's a remarkable achievement and a testament to gaming as a whole. And a very good game, too.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get this. Why do people want to see more toxicity in a landscape already filled with it? It's not like that "salt" won't be met with rude, dismissive arguments from the other sides. Nobody's going to look good in the inevitable flame wars that a DS win would bring.

Human tastebuds are hardwired love salt.

Plus it's a good game, why wouldn't I want it to win?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going by the small sample of this poll, Era GOTY is gonna be Death Stranding, RE2, Sekiro, Control and Outer Worlds, will be interesting to see how different the actuall results are gonna be as you can choose games beyond just those (I expect a Nintendo game to win being honest).

Edit: actually it seems like last year about 9k people participated in voting, there are +3k here so it's actually a sizeable chunk.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wanting a game to win and wanting a community to be more toxic because of that win are two different things.

Those things are not mutually exclusive.
#whynotboth

and.... I don't want it to be toxic, but anything death stranding related will always bring out toxicity,
so i'm just gonna sit back and enjoy it.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I think voting on TGAs is a little strange given that I haven't played many games this year because I have a life that prevents that.

I mean, Death Stranding is easily my game of the year, but I've bought less than ten games released in 2019 and played none of the other games nominated for GOTY.

I'm still going to vote for DS regardless just to maximise the chances of salt lol

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Control being nominated is a great start for them to give it GOTY, considering it's head and shoulders above the rest of the nominees.