• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If you did that the GOTY Nominees would be (going off of open critic)

Resident Evil 2 (which would win the GOTY)
Disco Elysium
Sekiro
Slay the Spire
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Devil May Cry 5

Judging by the replies in this very thread I'd think people would actually be pretty happy with that list for the most part. Although, obviously - not everyone. Really no list would make everyone happy unless you just flat out increase the amount of game nominated.

My list would have only one of those games.
Also, there's a poll here with a clear winner and a clear front runner, and two toe to toe that follow.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is gonna win GOTY:

EJuoZqtXsAAwl0y

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Smash and Gears have nothing to do with each other.. how on earth are you making this connection. For all we know, DMC or any other game could have been the first one left off the list. Gears wasn't 'excluded' because of Smash FFS.

And TGA has very clear guidelines for elibility based on release. Smash game out the day of the awards last year... do you think it just shouldn't have been eligible any year? Surely that would be 'bullshit'
Never said that. Point of contention is choosing a game that released last year this year.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I hope everyone that is upset at Death Stranding being nominated actually played a decent amount of it.

Otherwise you would look pretty silly.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
DS rightly deserves art/ost awards, the other stuff it's nominated for is questionable.

that said, it's a pretty solid game. DS, Sekiro, and RE2RE are all a 8/10 for me so the award is up in the air. Art and music are very important to me outside of gaming, so I'm leaning towards DS..

either way, the salt in this thread is delicious. Gotta get me some fries.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Voted for Death Stranding because DMC5, Ace Combat 7 and Baba is You was not included. At least I can see Kojima on stage rather than another year like 2016 with Overwatch winning GOTY

Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone that is upset at Death Stranding being nominated actually played a decent amount of it.

I didn't even play it yet and I still think it's silly. Games I don't like or care about win or are nominated for awards all the time. It's only natural that there will be critically acclaimed games that you're not super into, after all, so there's no need to get salty over it

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

i finished it and the only nomination i question is the narrative one, because if that's an indication of the best narratives video games have to offer we are in a bad place

Point of contention is choosing a game that released last year over one this year. It doesn't even have to be Gears.
there is a 12 month eligibility period and smash falls in it for this year's awards

Dec 20, 2017
I liked The Outer Worlds, but I really can't justify putting it up for GotY. I can't think of anything new or innovative The Outer Worlds brought to the table, and I don't think any of Obsidan's usual strengths- characterization and player choice- were on display to the extent of putting them above their competitors. I'd say the 30 some player characters of Three Houses were better realized, on average, than the 9 or so person party in The Outer Worlds, and Disco Elysium honestly changed my standards for how much freedom a player can expect to have while roleplaying in a video game. I can't even say The Outer Worlds is the best game of the year that has "Outer" and "Wlds" in its title.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I assume that no nominations at all for Fallen Order or Pokemon means that Nov 15 releases are not eligible. Unless they just both got snubbed lol.
They were eligible, but those two games barely gave out review codes. Compared to Death Stranding which gave out lots of codes a month before release.

Deleted member 46477

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Who are any of those eSports players? Like damn at least I recognized some of them last year. Too bad SonicFox can't be a nominee again lol.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So many votes in the poll!
Tbh I'm rather taken aback by Smash topping out but I do think it would totally deserve it.

The best part of this thread are the people reacting in confusion and disgust about Jump Force lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So many votes in the poll!
Tbh I'm rather taken aback by Smash topping out but I do think it would totally deserve it.

The best part of this thread are the people reacting in confusion and disgust about Jump Force lol
How did Jump Force even end up on the list? Is it like a participation award for simply being a fighting game in 2019, or is there some cult following to it that I'm ignorant to?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How did Jump Force even end up on the list? Is it like a participation award for simply being a fighting game in 2019, or is there some cult following to it that I'm ignorant to?

Yeah I think it's mostly so they could fill the slot....though there had to have been one other good fighting game that came out this year lol

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what's better: the love or the hate for Death Stranding in this thread.

I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for my son to be finished with the PS4 so I can play more Death Stranding. Bed time might come earlier for him tonight....

I truly recommend at least trying to play it first before deciding to post hot take after hot take. Or not even hot takes, but just dismissing it because reviewers, scores, watching it on YouTube.

I haven't played Crack Down 3 yet, but I expect to like it when I do..because I like the series.

Reviews, scores be damned. And if I don't..I'll at least have played it to make up my own mind. Might get Game Pass tonight just for CD3.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted RE2 but I'd be happy with a Smash win as well considering the scope of that game. It's quite impressive.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It still won it. My initial point is that The Game Awards isn't the most important or better awards event there is for gaming, nor an objective one.

True, is the most popular by a huge margin tho. Still, are you implying that Golden Joys is more important or objective? The way I see it has even bigger problems considering is hosted in September leaving a chunk of games behind and is voted by the people.

It has every right to exist (it might be even be one of the first awards and is still going!) but it doesn't invalidare TGA.

If you're only saying there are other awards where you can put your attention then sure, there are tons. If anything DICE, Game Developers and I believe Bafta involve the actual developers voting.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Best family games all are Nintedno. Welp.
I wonder why there aren't similar games on otehr platforms for the family. It seems Nintendo nailed it this gen byt not only keeping their family lineup but also investing in adult games and even not censor them. They target all publics now.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
True, is the most popular by a huge margin tho. Still, are you implying that Golden Joys is more important or objective? The way I see it has even bigger problems considering is hosted in September leaving a chunk of games behind and is voted by the people.

It has every right to exist (it might be even be one of the first awards and is still going!) but it doesn't invalidare TGA.

If you're only saying there are other awards where you can put your attention then sure, there are tons. If anything DICE, Game Developers and I believe Bafta involve the actual developers voting.

Nope not implying that. Most Gaming awards are heavily biased towards a group of people's tastes and personal choices.
It's a tough one.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hgnn, I'm conflicted about voting KH3 for music. There are some absolutely amazing Shimomura tracks, but Ishimoto and Sekito really drag it down.
Voted for Death Stranding because DMC5, Ace Combat 7 and Baba is You was not included. At least I can see Kojima on stage rather than another year like 2016 with Overwatch winning GOTY
Ace Combat 7 not being nominated for at least the soundtrack is disappointing, but expected :(