• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TFA good, if safe fan pleaser.

TLJ odd, uneven, creative.

ROS terrible, over correction.

Mandalorian; finally got the mix right.
Madalorian isn't very good imo, it's 'all right' at best. It's like the villian, love Giancarlo Esposito, but his chracater is so generic, could be any actor playing him, and I don't find the new planets very memorable. At the risk of sounding pretentous, I don't really feel it's got a vision going on.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of Skywalker, despite being a contender for worst movie of the entire series, had a pretty fantastic trailer as well, not least of all because of the music that, defying all comprehension, was not used in the actual film at all:

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
TFA was the only decent one because it was a safe retread of ANH. Both of the sequels were terrible, and the trilogy overall was a giant waste

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
TFA is, in context of the whole series, a sort of boring rehash of the OT. But it was 30-40 years later and was perfectly serviceable as a soft remake (I'm sure we prefer TFA to Abrams just remaking ANH?). But there's a lot of new stuff in TFA, namely Ben and Finn, that they really could have taken the other two movies to great places.

I didn't hate TLJ (only half or less of the film is good, but the good parts are really good) but I think it's the reason the sequel trilogy as a whole fell off the track. It would have been better either as the first movie in a trilogy or as the last, but it didn't want to use the board TFA set up and didn't seem interested that there needed to be something to come after. (While not the core problem with the film, the lightspeed kamikaze basically broke the Star Wars universe's internal logic in a way that it's hard not to think about when watching any Star Wars film, just for a cool shot.)

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I still can't get over the fact that Harrison Ford just showed up for the paycheck in his finale ever Han Solo portrayal. He just didn't give a fuck.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The official trailer is still the best ever made and probably won't be topped for some time.

I get making movies and living up to the hype of a new SW trilogy is an immense challenge, but what we got was just such a shame. I'll still always enjoy the memories associated with the hype and wonder, but it's too bad how everything turned out.

Hopefully EP10 will break boundaries and they'll learn from their mistakes.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It was coming out of the theater. That was the peak of my excitement.

The trailer gave me hope but I wasn't sold. The prequels had already fooled me with their trailers. But seeing everything happen on the big screen and soaking in every moment. Feeling the energy of the crowd. Walking out in shock that a Star Wars movie was actually good. Looking at my friends who all had huge smiles, glowing with excitement. Dreaming of the possibilities, feeling excited by the limitless potential of the next two movies. Listening to the podcasts and youtubers that were sharing the excitement, theorizing at what could come next.

I don't hate The Last Jedi. But that took a lot of wind out of my sail. Particularly the response to it.

Rise of Skywalker was crushing.

I still can't get over the fact that Harrison Ford just showed up for the paycheck in his finale ever Han Solo portrayal. He just didn't give a fuck.
So many people were surprised that he actually seemed to be having fun in the movie. The Weekly Planet said it best "yeah, he's having fun- because he knows he never has to do this or talk about it ever again".

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The trailer might have had better music.

The sequel trilogy sounded like more like a Side-B for the prequel trilogy. OT and PT just had better music.
The worst thing about sequels disappointing people is the narrative changing about the good qualities in the previous works.
The score for these movies was never a point of contention. It's so fucking good.

Rey deserved a better final movie. Her theme still gives me so much hope.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Madalorian isn't very good imo, it's 'all right' at best. It's like the villian, love Giancarlo Esposito, but his chracater is so generic, could be any actor playing him, and I don't find the new planets very memorable. At the risk of sounding pretentous, I don't really feel it's got a vision going on.

Proper vision?

You got babyyoda, add a couple of sexy twi leks,baby you got a stew goin.

You guys are over thinking Star Wars. Its pulp sci-fi. Space samurais.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Loved TFA, but I'm still pissed the rug was pulled out from under Finn because of the marketing. How are you going to have the hype moment of the trailer be him holding the lightsaber if the actual story is just going to be like "psych! Hope you weren't excited for him to be a jedi!"

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Proper vision?

You got babyyoda, add a couple of sexy twi leks,baby you got a stew goin.

You guys are over thinking Star Wars. Its pulp sci-fi. Space samurais.
The films have had visionary moments to me, which Mandalorian lacks. Although the dragon fight was pretty cool in the opener, and quite awe inspiring for a TV show.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Loved TFA, but I'm still pissed the rug was pulled out from under Finn because of the marketing. How are you going to have the hype moment of the trailer be him holding the lightsaber if the actual story is just going to be like "psych! Hope you weren't excited for him to be a jedi!"

It was done to hide that the female character was in fact the main jedi for this trilogy, and it worked really well in TFA imo. I mean Finn still got alot of great moments in TFA.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
TFA was a decent movie. It restored my faith in the franchise. Trailers were awesome,

TLJ was.... interesting.

TROS was terrible

Solo was terrible

Rogue One was good

Mandalorian is dope.

So all in all, it could be worse.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I disagree. The Mandarlorian is some of the best Star Wars we have seen in decades. Every episode is a new adventure that is well paced. I don't recall one boring episode, and there's lots of cool characters and villains. It has some fan service, but balances it with lots of new ideas and characters, unlike the sequels.

Apr 25, 2020
The sequel trilogy peaked with TFA and it was a steady decline from there. TLJ was a mediocre mess and ROS was straight up bad.

The music for ROS though

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel trilogy peaked with TFA and it was a steady decline from there. TLJ was a mediocre mess and ROS was straight up bad.

The music for ROS though

For me, it peaked with the throne room scene, where Kylo Ren betrays the big bad in the middle of the trilogy, and all the ships get cut in half. Thought that was so cool, didn't care that much about learning Snoke's backstory, but I found that whole set of sequences to be riverting, and pushing the series in a direction I haven't seen before.

Btmmayor

Jun 4, 2018
I enjoyed the film for what it was but the writing was always on the wall as far as what would eventually sink the trilogy. I remember coming out of TFA on opening night being VERY critical of the repeated beats this film represented.

I don't know if I can ever forgive a Star Wars film that literally has a line like this:

"It's another Death Star!"
"I wish that were the case, Major. This was the Death Star..."
"...And this, is Starkiller base."

"So it's big!"

It's literally a RedLetterMedia joke wrapped around the laziest form of upping the stakes in a narrative. I literally chuckled at how hamfisted it was when I saw it opening night. It's kind of a microcosm of both JJ films in general. They repeat beats from the original trilogy's narrative, condense them by speeding up the pace to a ridiculous degree then just inflate the size/stakes/noise of everything in between. It honestly repeats the frequently mocked philosophy of the prequel trilogy where every frame must be "so dense with information and visual stimuli".

Perfectly stated.

Unfortunately most everything in the ST follows this "bigger, badder more awesome" philosophy. Even RJ had those stupid guerilla walkers making the AT-ATs standing next to them look like tauntauns.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ was hot garbage to me after waiting two years. It was the biggest "wtf why?" For me while sitting in theaters.
Thank god for the Mandalorian, saved the Star Wars universe for me and renewed my faith.

Im thinking less and less of the TLJ as we get better SW content (Mando, Clone Wars final season).

I thought SW needed to go somewhere different, but it just needed better execution. Who knew the good SW was hiding in the EU all this time.

TFA is certainly the most rewatchable and likable. TLJ had a few good scenes but was a mess otherwise. ROS I wont even bother with.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested, but not all that hyped. Now when Duel of the Fates dropped in 1999, THAT got me hyped.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was fun and interesting. Then came TLJ and it began to splip. Then came ROS and well.... it retroactively made other movies bad. That's how bad it is.
I feel like the combo of TFA and TLJ made it clear there was no track for the story, which made me think those movies were bad at the time.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
All the trailers were so amazing and hype inducing when they were released for TFA. I remember people freaking out in theaters to every trailer throughout that year. What a fun ass movie too.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The trailers for TFA were my favorite part of the ST. The movie itself was my second favorite. But the trailers at least alluded Jedi Finn to me. TFA have me FinnRey which was a way to deal with the possibility of no Jedi Finn.

Didn't get either of them in the sequels that followed.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I remember everyone feverishly arguing "WHO IS SNOKE WHO IS HE" and people flipping out once that concept art of him leaked. Even after TFA came out there was still rampant speculation about the character.

Then he was in a tube.

I will say Serkis did a great job portraying him.

Oct 25, 2017
I think TFA's main issue is that the First Order is just a poorly conceived and derivative villain. I don't really have any other issues with it.

Also, they took more time to shoot on location and use practical effects than in the other sequel films, and it shows.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this wasn't going to work when the first line of dialogue is "HYUCK HYUCK SO UH WHO TALKS FIRST?😝"

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
TFA being "A new hope" for a great new trilogy and then we got...what we got.
Fuck me, there were some great "Star Wars Moments" spread out over this trilogy but those are just moments.
Overall it's like TFA was taking a step and then TLJ and ROS are that step directly going into piles of shit.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If every sequel was like TFA we would have had a great trilogy
We did. It was called the OT.
giphy.gif

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I remember thinking, "This'll be great. Disney definitely has a grand vision for this brand new Star Wars trilogy! Everything is already mapped out and the payoff in the third film will be amazing!".

I can't believe that the same overlords that preside over the MCU would be so careless with the creative direction of fucking STAR WARS, which they spent billions to obtain.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I thought movie/series would be a rogue storm strooper dealing with ptsd and coming to grips with having the force awaken inside him.

Fuck JJ for just making this vapid retread...qnd then fucking it up again after Rian Johnson tried to take it in a better direction