• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brokofiev

Jun 20, 2019
How on Earth do they wrap this up in one more season? Protomolecule, ring gates, ancient hyper-advanced civilization...you could do another five seasons on that shit.

Kobe

Oct 27, 2017
The belter accents are laughably bad. Really hoping Marco and Filip don't come back next season, I don't think I can take anymore of this family drama. I'm bored to tears. I wish this show would focus on Amos Burton a bit more, dude is legit

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yeah the belter accents always feel like they're just being made up on the spot lol. I still love the show though.

What happened to the 'skinnies' from that opening episode? The belters born in zero g who were basically long and thin? Are they supposed to be very rare in the world of the expanse, or just too expensive to feature?

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the belter accents always feel like they're just being made up on the spot lol. I still love the show though.

What happened to the 'skinnies' from that opening episode? The belters born in zero g who were basically long and thin? Are they supposed to be very rare in the world of the expanse, or just too expensive to feature?
Way too expensive to feature, sadly.

Brokofiev

Jun 20, 2019

Too expensive. In the books, Miller and and Naomi are also very tall and lanky, for example.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few days but I can't stop thinking about how fantastic that last episode was. The way they framed that final sequence to be her committing suicide with the airlock was just so intense and heartbreaking. This show has had the occasional heartfelt moments in the past but I don't think any of the previous seasons compare to what we've seen of Naomi in season 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
That last bit in the episode, pretty unrealistic no?
It's been touched upon on the previous page that it could well be feasible taking into account what we know about how the human body deals with the vaccum of space in real life and the potentialities of Belter physiology and 24th century technological advancements.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Avoiding posts in this topic actively, but wanted to say that I just finished season 2 of this show, and it's fucking AMAZING. Was bored out of my mind the recent week or so, and a good friend of mine recommended me to give this show a shot. I tend to dislike pretty much any sci-fi shows I've seen, mainly because they often skew towards being absurdly cheesy and badly made. This one turns all of that upside down and runs with it; it's quality throughout and I feel like it's hitting all of its beats very nicely. I'm hooked like a druggie on heroin.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Avoiding posts in this topic actively, but wanted to say that I just finished season 2 of this show, and it's fucking AMAZING. Was bored out of my mind the recent week or so, and a good friend of mine recommended me to give this show a shot. I tend to dislike pretty much any sci-fi shows I've seen, mainly because they often skew towards being absurdly cheesy and badly made. This one turns all of that upside down and runs with it; it's quality throughout and I feel like it's hitting all of its beats very nicely. I'm hooked like a druggie on heroin.
Welcome to the club.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
I listen to Bald Move's Expanse podcast (as I imagine others in this thread might), and they seemed to be of the impression that, given what happened to the Zmeya in the last episode, the protomolecule sample is now a goner. I must confess I wasn't paying enough attention to what the ship had been up to, but surely that can't be right? It would be such a narrative letdown, given that it takes a lot of the stakes out of Marco's whole insurrection. Surely, if his Free Navy no longer has the deterrent of the protomolecule available to them, Earth and Mars can just overpower them with sheer force of numbers? And sure, we are still invested in the conflict because Naomi and the rest of the gang's lives are at stake, but it would take away much of the epic scale political interest of all this, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Should also add that I've really been enjoying this season, it does feel like it has more of an emotional punch to it, these last couple of episodes have been intense as fuck and I bet there's more to come.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Unfortunately there is only one Doug Jones and he's busy.

Edit: Also I really wish Jared Harris would come back, it feels a bit odd to never see Dawes in this conflict. I know he's busy with Foundations, but Giancarlo Esposito manages to be the villain in multiple shows at the same time. If only Harris can spare a few days.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I listen to Bald Move's Expanse podcast (as I imagine others in this thread might), and they seemed to be of the impression that, given what happened to the Zmeya in the last episode, the protomolecule sample is now a goner. I must confess I wasn't paying enough attention to what the ship had been up to, but surely that can't be right? It would be such a narrative letdown, given that it takes a lot of the stakes out of Marco's whole insurrection. Surely, if his Free Navy no longer has the deterrent of the protomolecule available to them, Earth and Mars can just overpower them with sheer force of numbers? And sure, we are still invested in the conflict because Naomi and the rest of the gang's lives are at stake, but it would take away much of the epic scale political interest of all this, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Should also add that I've really been enjoying this season, it does feel like it has more of an emotional punch to it, these last couple of episodes have been intense as fuck and I bet there's more to come.
👀
The last torpedo has a blue light and it immediately flickers out.

74194e72dc6ede3d1969bc64362d0bbbb89fa232.gif

E: Which I'm pretty sure represents the blue flame of the Epstein drive like ships have.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Surely, if his Free Navy no longer has the deterrent of the protomolecule available to them, Earth and Mars can just overpower them with sheer force of numbers?
See above regarding the protomolecule, but just to address this part - even completely ignoring the protomolecule, Marco is in a much better military position than it might seem just from the political perspective.

There's three reasons for that.

Firstly, in purely numerical terms, the advantage isn't necessarily with Earth and Mars. The majority of ships in the system are Belter-run or majority-Belter-crewed (regardless of who nominally runs/owns them). If forced to pick a side, those ships are more likely to pick Marco's side than to side with Earth and Mars (though many will also want to stay neutral). The bulk of those ships won't be armed initially, but arming them would not be difficult, and even a civilian ship with a few gunnery arrays can be combat-effective.

Secondly, Marco's got a lot more freedom to manoeuvre than Earth and Mars do. Most of the volume of the solar system is closer to an OPA (or former OPA) outpost than to Earth or Mars. Marco can go from anywhere to just about anywhere else, whenever he pleases. Earth and Mars, on the other hand, are currently stuck mounting operations from Earth and Mars, making them much more visible and placing heavy logistical restraints on what they can do.

Finally, the worlds that Earth and Mars are settling beyond the gates all needed resources to start up - including at least a few ships to get everything there and presumably at least one ship for each world to defend against piracy (and realistically, one would not be enough - each of those new colonies should have a small fleet to allow them to stay defensively ready). That means a lot of the firepower that Earth and Mars would have been able to call upon is now sitting two gate trips away, and in times of war, the gate stops being a convenient transport hub and instead becomes an easily-defensible killzone.

Last edited:

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
All catched up until current episode. Man, this show...Just like previous season, every episode just raises the stakes one after another and get more intense.

Are they dropping new episodes every wednesday?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Something I don't understand and maybe someone can help me. The proto-molecule built the gates, and the Proto-molecule itself was created by this super old (and now extinct species). This species had a bunch of these gates constructed that allowed them to span the Galaxy, and they used a hub space to connect all these gates. There's also some other alien entity that fought this alien species and wiped them out.

What I'm confused about is Holden stating that the second aliens could be mad that they (humans) are using their gates. The gates were formed by the Proto-molecule, so how can the gates belong to the eye of Sauron looking aliens they encountered last season?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Something I don't understand and maybe someone can help me. The proto-molecule built the gates, and the Proto-molecule itself was created by this super old (and now extinct species). This species had a bunch of these gates constructed that allowed them to span the Galaxy, and they used a hub space to connect all these gates. There's also some other alien entity that fought this alien species and wiped them out.

What I'm confused about is Holden stating that the second aliens could be mad that they (humans) are using their gates. The gates were formed by the Proto-molecule, so how can the gates belong to the eye of Sauron looking aliens they encountered last season?
The angry aliens seemingly don't like the technology of the gate builders or the upstart new species (us) using that technology.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

I think maybe it's a little bit of bad grammar.

The 2nd Species might have gotten pissed at the 1st species intrusion into their "reality" with the gates, and proceeded to do whatever it was that killed the 1st species.

"now we're using their gates" is talking about the 1st species. We using the same gates that got the 1st species killed by the 2nd, and the 2nd species seems to be waking up, going by how Holden thinks is happening.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Holden states when he goes through a gate he sees/feel them... and they are getting more and more angry. So one can assume us using these gates make something happen to these entities.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The angry aliens seemingly don't like the technology of the gate builders or the upstart new species (us) using that technology.
I think maybe it's a little bit of bad grammar.

The 2nd Species might have gotten pissed at the 1st species intrusion into their "reality" with the gates, and proceeded to do whatever it was that killed the 1st species.

"now we're using their gates" is talking about the 1st species. We using the same gates that got the 1st species killed by the 2nd, and the 2nd species seems to be waking up, going by how Holden thinks is happening.

I see. Yeah when he said "their gates" I was confused because I thought he was referring to the second aliens, and then was left wondering if the first species came across some gates and Proto-molecules and then used them like the species in Mass Effect kept discovering and then using the mass relays.

Thanks for clearing it up.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

It's basically the equivelent of this
KwLzIIg.png

Alien 2 wiped out Alien 1... and now because nobody is around to contest their claim to Alien 1's Technology, Alien 2 has claimed it for themselves.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's basically the equivelent of this
KwLzIIg.png

Alien 2 wiped out Alien 1... and now because nobody is around to contest their claim to Alien 1's Technology, Alien 2 has claimed it for themselves.

Wait.

Alien 1 - Created the rings
Alien 2 - Somehow killed alien 1 since they didn't like them entering their realm or something
Alien 3 (us) - Hurr durr let us use theeeeeese riiiiiiings

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

Alien 1 - Created the rings
Alien 2 - Somehow killed alien 1 since they didn't like them entering their realm or something
Alien 3 (us) - Hurr durr let us use theeeeeese riiiiiiings
Alien 1 - Almost godlike beings
Alien 2 - Even greater, but more volatile
Alien 3 (us) - Bipedal apes poking things with sticks.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Alien 1 - Almost godlike beings
Alien 2 - Even greater, but more volatile
Alien 3 (us) - Bipedal apes poking things with sticks.

Ha yeah. They seem to be pure energy or something like that. But it is insane how they could kill Alien 1, who, on their own, destroyed whole solar systems to stop Alien 2. How?

I live for that shit.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say I never expected Monica to step up so much this season. Was she always this smart and right about things?