• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, we leave decisions like that up to the population of the thread, unless there's some special circumstances that force us to adopt wider spoiler policies, like in the TLOU2 leaks. For example, in the Cosmere OT, people prefer to have everything spoiler tagged, because it's a very large number of books released over a very long period but they're all interconnected. If people insist on violating the thread's chosen spoiler policies, we'll threadban them because... well, at that point, they're just being a jerk.

If you're not sure what y'all want that policy to be, I'd recommend putting up a poll.
Thank you for the clarification. I'll put up a poll and we'll go from there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the clarification. I'll put up a poll and we'll go from there.
Added a thing about the way a lot of other adapted series handle it. But like I said, it's really up to the people who post in the thread. Sometimes, a source material OT doesn't have enough interest to support a discussion on its own, so you end up with the more popular version being effectively the only place to talk about it. It's really up to all y'all to decide how you wanna do it.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the books, but the community isn't big enough for two threads. So long as people are careful with tehir spoilers, I don't mind.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Added a thing about the way a lot of other adapted series handle it. But like I said, it's really up to the people who post in the thread. Sometimes, a source material OT doesn't have enough interest to support a discussion on its own, so you end up with the more popular version being effectively the only place to talk about it. It's really up to all y'all to decide how you wanna do it.
Thanks again.

The poll is up and we'll give it a week and see how things go following tonight's new episode.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020

I'd say this guy is a mis-step.

Someone as politically astute as Fred Johnson brings in his Earther pal as his Number 2 who in every conversation complains about lazy belters and thieving skinnies. Someone should have spaced his ass.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I think tagged book spoilers are ok. While there are some fairly big changes here and there, there are some things that could be clarified/explained with book stuff if really asked. Like the asteroid and watchtower thing, which, to be fair will probably be explained next ep anyway lol. Because it might not have been too clear to non book readers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say this guy is a mis-step.

Someone as politically astute as Fred Johnson brings in his Earther pal as his Number 2 who in every conversation complains about lazy belters and thieving skinnies. Someone should have spaced his ass.
There could be something to his casual racism that the show's writers will expand upon, but yeah, it does seem like a major blindspot for Fred thus far.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
New episode should be up in a few hours, right? Going by how Amazon usually releases new episodes

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched the first 3 eps, love all the establishing shots this season!
Can't wait to see what happens with the rest of the season. How many episodes are confirmed for this season?

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
Was going to wait for all the episodes but had some downtime and watched the first three... the show is so pretty. Really enjoyed the baltimore background. Was just enough info with the pretty cinematography

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy The Expanse is back! I will say that Episode 1/2 didn't have the same level of an immediately intriguing narrative hook that the previous seasons have been so good at (yes, we know Inaros is up to no good, yes, more people are after the protomolecule, yes I know it will lead to something bigger). It didn't help that the characters are initially separated for the most part, and the real intrigue of the season doesn't really start until the end of Episode 2 and Episode 3. Episode 3 was genuinely fantastic, though: it was beautifully shot with lots of great character moments, especially for Drummer. The cliffhanger was great, can't wait for Ep.4. I was really curious how Thomas Jane would go as a director, but I ended up being extremely surprised and impressed right from the beginning of the episode. I know we can't have Miller back, but I would love to see Jane return as a director.

re: the cast/characters, Amos and Drummer continue to be stand outs (I was really impressed with Cara Gee in Ep.3), and Avasarala is always a delight. Marco and Filip Inaros are such great additions to the show, and perfectly cast. Along with the amazing Amos/Avasarala interaction, I also laughed out loud at Holden's 'there was a button, I pushed it', and Fred's horror at the realization that is how Holden goes through life, lol.

And nooo, Episode 4 is up? Must. Resist. Must. Be. Productive.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Shit got real haha.

One question though,
it seems like the scale of attack is smaller. People constantly referred to as "millions of lives" rather than billions. It kind of feels a bit less pressing if instead of billions lost, they only lose a fraction of it on a planet of like 30 billion

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shit got real haha.

One question though,
it seems like the scale of attack is smaller. People constantly referred to as "millions of lives" rather than billions. It kind of feels a bit less pressing if instead of billions lost, they only lose a fraction of it on a planet of like 30 billion

Keep in mind in the tv show the population is significantly less than the books. In the show the Belt has 40 million people. In the books it's like 120 million.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I fucking hate characters like Marco, but I can't deny that they've done a really good job at him.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, where do they even go from here? SO MUCH IS HAPPENING

One of the inadvertently funniest things during episode 4
When that red robot is slowly carrying the protomolucle and Holden is just watching it completely bewildered. The fact that it's moving so slow and Holden has no idea what to do gave me a good chuckle.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Shit got real haha.

One question though,

That would be really disappointing. The sheer scale of the attack was what made it so impactful. They were talking about Earth being dead for good. I thought they might scale it down because that asteroid that was destroyed was quite small (it had a impact power of "only" some 30 megatons). Unless it hit an urban center it wouldn't be very damaging.

Although, in hindsight, the attacks end up being very inconsequential. At the end of the day Earth was well and good, and after the time jump the attacks might very well not have happened.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I think it said 300 megatons this ep.

edit - could've sworn I saw 300 somewhere, trying to scrub through the ep to see.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
He's better in the show actually.
Primarily due to the actor and his delivery.

Oh really?

But yeah, I can't wait till he gets a bullet to the head. That might sound extreme but after what his people have done, he arguably deserves so much worse.

Just hope the show doesn't go in a route where they try to paint him in a good light and that he was actually right.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind in the tv show the population is significantly less than the books. In the show the Belt has 40 million people. In the books it's like 120 million.
Still, we are talking just millions vs half the population

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Still on my pre S5 rewatch and S3 always surprises me with how it has a big climax just past the midpoint then still goes and has a time jump and whole other main plot build and resolve. Granted that "new" main plot is a proper conclusion to the Venus plot but it still feels like another show would have made it a whole season in itself.

It also makes me sad since it turned out Cas Anvar was a PoS.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really?

But yeah, I can't wait till he gets a bullet to the head. That might sound extreme but after what his people have done, he arguably deserves so much worse.

Just hope the show doesn't go in a route where they try to paint him in a good light and that he was actually right.
Yea the actor is very charismatic, and you start to feel like you understand why he was able to get so many people to follow him.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Keon Alexander, I've only really seen him on Tyrant, and from what I remember, he's quite good on it.

Nooblet thanks for correcting me with the asteroid.

Oct 25, 2017
Kilo, so the rock that missed last week was actually like 3-5 times bigger.

I was surprised to hear that and had to double check, because that's not really that big.

Yeah the scales are funky. The explosions as depicted visually look much larger than the number they gave. The Chelyabinsk explosion was 500-600 kilotons in the sky, for example.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
Nice episode, but
Will Avasarala take back here rightful place as Queen of Earth next episode?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
which doesn't make much sense either because that doesn't solve any of the belter's problems are all, just make them a target to be removed even sooner.

besides, he can throw a few rocks into Earth and Mars but it will not change the fact that inners will settle more planets through the gates, where he can't throw rocks.

He is yelling to clouds.

Like I knew I have no future but I will try to get a sweet revenge for thing done in the past. But that will not bring a future to his people, why they will unite under him?
He's not really trying to solve belter problems. He's a fanatic stuck to an idea. The effect of exodus is everywhere, it's prosperous for Earth, whereas Mars is moving on from a unified planet with a goal to terraform to better options as they don't need to terraform anymore, even if it means leaving their martian identity behind as they realise change is more important than their identity. On the other hand Inaros is clinging to the past and doesn't wanna lose his belter identity.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they reconsider and decide to do season 7-9 for the last three books, even if after a short break. Can't get enough of this show and universe.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
For those that are questioning the lowered death toll remember that in these sorts of things it's not the immediate impact that is so deadly. Asteroid impacts have all sorts of knock on effects that happen within days, weeks, months, and years that bring devastation. Same as with certain other natural disasters. The immediate death toll is in the tens of millions from major population centers but the impacts are going to cause earthquakes, tsunamis, and flooding within hours of impact. Within days to weeks it'll throw so much shit into the atmosphere that it'll cause something resembling a nuclear winter, only without the radiation. Crops will die in the cold and the dark, causing billions to starve.

Earth is in for a really bad time and we've only seen the first couple hours of that playing out.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Is there another thread for book spoiler discussion? That's how they manage episode drops on the reddit. It's super weird to have two different levels of discussion in the same thread.

As someone who has only read the first book this episode floored me. It was like Empire Strikes back or a horror movie, just the dread through the whole thing.