• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017

Why would Banes stock market shenanigans hold true? Why would Bruce Wayne now be broke and why does it bother me. It's just a silly.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
that is annoying. "Oh Mr Wayne you made some really bad moves on the same day that a terrorist group attacked wall street. Probably no relation. Anyway you're out."

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the most realistic part of the movie, there's no way those greedy bastards would give Bruce his money back.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
bridge-symbol.png

moviesfilmsandflix.com

Movie Math: Here’s How Long it Took Batman to Set Up The Flaming Bat Symbol on the Bridge in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

My naive original goal for this piece was to only focus on how long it took Batman to create the bat fire on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it wouldn’t be difficult due to the…

The answer is approximately three hours. this is right after he flew back from India and somehow snuck onto the island and then someone carried all that flammable liquid with him onto the top of a bridge.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he isn't broke, right? He got his money back. There's a line of dialogue about it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That part bothered you but Batman getting his spine punched back into place didn't?

Or how about Bane somehow managed to get a single American cable channel to broadcast in some prison literally on the other side of the world?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That part bothered you but Batman getting his spine punched back into place didn't?

Or how about Bane somehow managed to get a single American cable channel to broadcast in some prison literally on the other side of the world?

He could have just had a dislocated something in his back.

You can get pretty much any channel from a satellite. Heck, you could even stream it to your laptop and spaghetti it to a CRT.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
not the complaint I was expecting lol. Movie should've ended with Alfreds smile

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
bridge-symbol.png

moviesfilmsandflix.com

Movie Math: Here’s How Long it Took Batman to Set Up The Flaming Bat Symbol on the Bridge in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

My naive original goal for this piece was to only focus on how long it took Batman to create the bat fire on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it wouldn’t be difficult due to the…

The answer is approximately three hours. this is right after he flew back from India and somehow snuck onto the island and then someone carried all that flammable liquid with him onto the top of a bridge.

He's probably got these sort of symbols set up all over prominent places in Gotham. Random giant bat symbols he can trigger whenever.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rises is a silly movie. Nolan was so over it when he made it. Still better then a lot of superhero movies though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Why would Banes stock market shenanigans hold true? Why would Bruce Wayne now be broke and why does it bother me. It's just a silly.

That's not a silly reason to be bothered. It bothered me too. You're telling me that if I break into the New York Stock Exchange riding a motorcycle and force Jeff Bezos to invest the entirety of Amazon into sweaters for cats, the stock exchange is gonna be like "yep, fair game"

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Incorrect! The most annoying thing about Dark Knight Rises was the fact that they showed us who Alfred was looking at. That nod and smile was enough, dammit!

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
They weren't. In the movie they say they will be able to prove its false
"Mr. Wayne's will was not amended to reflect his more modest estate."

They also mention needing to sale assets to settle his accounts, if he still had billions, they would not need this and the wouldn't needed to add the dialogue to the end of the movie.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
"Mr. Wayne's will was not amended to reflect his more modest estate."

They also mention needing to sale assets to settle his accounts, if he still had billions, they would not need this and the wouldn't needed to add the dialogue to the end of the movie.
Fox says this in the movie
"Long term we may be able to prove fraud, but for now...you're completely broke. And Wayne Enterprises is about to fall into the hands of John Daggett. " so eventually he will get it back

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incorrect! The most annoying thing about Dark Knight Rises was the fact that they showed us who Alfred was looking at. That nod and smile was enough, dammit!

I like this idea, tbh.

Michael Caine was so good in these movies. When he apologizes on the grave you can feel the pain in his words. What an amazing actor.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fox says this in the movie
"Long term we may be able to prove fraud, but for now...you're completely broke. And Wayne Enterprises is about to fall into the hands of John Daggett. " so eventually he will get it back

"We MAY be able..."

As already stated, the ending of the movie clearly says that hasn't happened.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think people would recognize Bruce Wayne even in France or wherever they're at in the ending. Could at least gotten some glasses and a beard.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The cops all came out of the sewers clean shaven in perfectly pressed uniforms.... and his name was Robin.

But this is what bothers you?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
bridge-symbol.png

moviesfilmsandflix.com

This bothered me so much.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
"Mr. Wayne's stock tanked yesterday. Cut his electricity immediately." - Gothem Electric Company

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's my biggest problem with it. There's no way he'd go unrecognized for the rest of his life in France.

He had been a recluse for years to that point, and had been missing for most of his adult life. There are probably a ton of billionaires in the world none of us would recognize if we saw them waling down the street. I don't think it's that far of a stretch, by super hero standards, to think he wouldn't necessarily be easy to spot in a foreign country.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but he's poor the way rich people think being poor is. Wearing an Issey Miyake suit with invisible socks and drinking an exquisite restretto at an exclusive little cafe in his favorite arrondissement with a beautiful woman.

show me Bruce Wayne using two week old chip fat in a council flat while his wife tells the kids she got a black eye falling at the bingo.

broke.

guy says his spine is broke because he got a cramp for a bit and lived in a well with cable TV.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well nobody thought in Bruce and Selina stalking poor old alfred god bless him and casually be in the same cafe at the same time Alfred strolls in.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but he's poor the way rich people think being poor is. Wearing an Issey Miyake suit with invisible socks and drinking an exquisite restretto at an exclusive little cafe in his favorite arrondissement with a beautiful woman.

show me Bruce Wayne using two week old chip fat in a council flat while his wife tells the kids she got a black eye falling at the bingo.

broke.

guy says his spine is broke because he got a cramp for a bit and lived in a well with cable TV.
you alright franco? you're screaming about the comics book man again

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
So how do you trap thousands of cops in the sewers with no food and not only do they survive but they're shaved and ready to fight. Also you're telling me they barricaded every possible exit from a citywide sewer system?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
  • Artistic License – Economics:
    • When Bane and his men attack the stock exchange, he fakes bogus trading in Bruce's name using the thumbprint Selina acquired from Bruce's safe. In reality, the NASDAQ and the NYSE have the ability to quickly cancel trades if necessary, and in fact trading should have been suspended entirely as soon as the attack was public knowledge. Bruce would have been easily able to get off the hook for those fraudulent trades, especially when he can show that the transactions were done during a robbery on the trading floor with multiple witnesses seeing Bane and the robbers using its computer system for something. This fact is acknowledged in the movie, with Fox mentioning that they would be able to prove fraud and get the money back soon enough, but in the short term Bruce is bankrupted, even though he shouldn't be liable at all under the circumstances (or could just refuse to honor them for entirely valid reasons).
    • The Gotham electric company is utterly ruthless, cutting power to Bruce's home only a day or two afterward the stock incident. Bruce would have to be months behind on his payments for them to actually do that. They can't just assume he won't pay right off the bat.
    • Bruce going bankrupt shouldn't have gotten him automatically thrown off the Wayne Enterprises board, especially since he has a pretty solid defense for the trades being bogus. He still presumably owns his stake in the company, and would need to sell it first.
    • Despite what the characters repeatedly claim, Bruce Wayne is only broke; he is not bankrupt, except in a functional sense. To be bankrupt, Bruce would have to go to the bank and formally declare himself to be so, in writing. Merely not having money in your bank account is not the same as being bankrupt in a legal sense, especially since Bruce owns many valuable items and properties (including his mansion) that he could either rent, sell or put up as collateral for a loan if he needed cash quickly. This is yet another reason that he shouldn't have been kicked off the Board- even if there was a law or policy that said that nobody could sit on the Board if they were bankrupt (and in real life this is often not the case, by the way), it still would never apply to someone who hadn't declared themselves to be such yet.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
It looked like the city was taken hostage the day after Bruce was declared broke. Proving Bruce's innocence would have been the last thing on anyone's mind. Especially considering it was assumed that he was dead.

May 26, 2018
y'know what really bugged me

that they showed bruce and selina just chilling at that table

shoulda just been Michael Caine nodding

fucking done