• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
D-pad impressions do not sound hot, but yet to hear any fighting game impressions

I have a DualSense that i am using on PC, in Steam. I have played a bunch of Street Fighter V with it. I am as effective with it as I am with DS4. However, the mushy D-pad and Face buttons can throw my rhythm off a bit due to not retracting fast enough as I press them.

The controller is very comfortable and seems tailored made for a "cinematic experience". What i mean by this is the relaxed, mushy comfort level when using it. Think of a comfortable car ride vs a sporty car ride.

I have played some matches of Street Fighter V with the Xbox Series controller and that new D-pad is the best one of them all. I need that tactile response !

Last edited:

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Love the triggers, despise the size. My hands are small and I can't find a good comfortable grip for it 😭
I make it work but Im missing the DS4 already 😞

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Having a difficult time deciding between this controller and Xbox series X controller for my PC. My Elite controller died on me and I'm not sure if I want to deal with batteries again. DS4Windows will be getting full Dualsense support, although I have no idea if the special rumble will ever really be supported on PC. The D-pad sounds better on the series X, hmmm.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great controller, and super comfortable. My only wish is that the tumbsticks were each half a centimeter farther apart. I feel like my thumbs are reaching just a bit too far, especially when I need top point each stick in the opposite direction of the side it's on. Literally a few millimetres on either side would do wonders.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
After playing Astro, the Dualsense is the most i've been impressed so far with my PS5. The controller feels great in my hands, the adaptive triggers are amazing as well. Hope devs most devs use its features.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It fits much better in my hands than any previous PS controller did. So the bummer for me is that the tendons in my right hand are pretty fucked up, so I have to turn off all the fun haptic stuff.

Feels bad.

E: I did keep it all on for a bit though in Astro, was very cool.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I both like it and don't. I need more time with it, on actual games, but the 'hand feel' around my palms like another user mentioned, it just feels off? could be because I have smaller hands, but I love both the switch pro and the xbox controllers, and I don't mind the DS4. The DualSense feels awesome but it feels weirdly bulgy around my palms in a way other controllers dont, and makes it feel ever slightly more difficult to reach both the sticks and the face buttons without having to shift my grip around a little. Hoping my opinion changes after I get to play with it more. Just didn't expect such a strange first impression about how it felt in hand. I definitely am glad they bulked it up, but it feels like they did it in a strange way vs my expectations on how it looked visually, and other 'bigger' controllers

the controller features themselves (haptics, microphone, etc) are probably the thing I'm looking forward the most though with Next Gen alongside the faster loading times. Always been a fan of controller improvements/changes, because they fundamentally change your experience and how you interact with the game. I really hope this encourages the big three to come up and be more creative with future controller updates going forward. It really has been a huge missing piece of home console improvement

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Do the haptics feel sorta subtle to anyone else or is it just me? I have my headphones plugged in and the haptics set to strong if that means anything

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For competitive play, & comfort, I still prefer the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller.

But for everything else? General play and overall functionality and versatility? Yeah, it's probably the best controller ever made.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I got to grab one a few hours ago and mess around with it, I will say it is easily the best PlayStation controller, not even close to be honest and the haptic stuff is quite nice; if they would just move the analog ffs, it'd be perfect (obviously battery life needs to be better but obviously I didn't run into that with just a short time to mess with it).

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Do the haptics feel sorta subtle to anyone else or is it just me? I have my headphones plugged in and the haptics set to strong if that means anything
Yeah they definitely dont impress me as much as the triggers. They feel like they are very micro, but i can definitely sense the difference between some surfaces. Was still expecting a bigger feel out of them

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Any benefit to charging using a USB C to USB C cable, rather than the included USB C to A cable? Would it charge faster?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My only complaints are that their Dpad quality control is awful. The one with my PS5 is mushy as hell. One of the two extras I bought is pretty good, but the other took a lot of pushing to get the left button to connect. I replaced that with another on the way and I'll see how that one goes. Only other complaint is that the audio stream to the controller is ridiculously low quality. I was interested in 3D audio, but not enough to waste time with that. Otherwise I love the controller. Notably the build quality and heft are great.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The impressions for this controller are out of this world. Fantastic build quality, easy to teardown and customize, innovative features that improve the gameplay experience, and a much improved battery. I'm glad what I thought would be the best and most exciting aspect of next-gen is proving to be just that. Can't wait to see how it feels for myself.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What I'm really interested in is how the dual sense haptics can be applied to support people with disabilities. Can the haptics be supplementary for people with visual or auditory impairments? For could a deaf player 'feel' the directionality of sound through the HD rumble?

Hypothetically, could a player with a visual impairment be guided around the screen to where there enemies are using the rumble and resistance on the triggers? For example, if it were harder to pull the trigger down if your shot was going to miss, would that help players who were blind know where their enemies were and when they were on target?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I can't tell how the triggers are supposed to feel. When doin the monkey stuff in Astro, it feels like the thing is rsttling apart
You grab on those zippers that take you around on a wall, and it like rattles. I cant tell of thats supposed to be how it is or what.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Except for the squishy buttons, I love it. I wanna try this with a fighting game though because I think there's something up with the D-Pad.

See, when I roll my thumb across Up-Left or Down-Left I get a satisfying response... but when I roll my thumb across Down-Right and Up-Right, there's a lot less give and it doesn't feel right

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty great so far. Astrobot has so many cool sensations. Miles is a little more subtle but it's good too.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
They better release a PS5 back button attachment for this thing. Without that, it's a massive downgrade for me.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Not a fan of it. Im close to turning off the haptics and triggers and I despise symmetrical thumb sticks. Just feels wrong. The flat bottom alters the feel for me too.

Probably in the minority but I'd say
Pro Controller > Elite 2 > Series X > Dual Sense.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I don't own a ps5 so not tried actually playing with it but i have held my friends controller as it has arrived already (UK) and the triggers still feel like absolute ass to me. they just feel really off just like on the ds4 compared to the xbox controller. like very slightly mushy is how i would describe it. maybe I'm just used to the xbox feel.

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
What I'm really interested in is how the dual sense haptics can be applied to support people with disabilities. Can the haptics be supplementary for people with visual or auditory impairments? For could a deaf player 'feel' the directionality of sound through the HD rumble?

Hypothetically, could a player with a visual impairment be guided around the screen to where there enemies are using the rumble and resistance on the triggers? For example, if it were harder to pull the trigger down if your shot was going to miss, would that help players who were blind know where their enemies were and when they were on target?
I think there's huge potential for sure. I was watching Steve Saylor play Last of Us 2 (which features Dualsense stuff I guess), and to get his perspective as a blind player was really fascinating:

Nov 15, 2018
PS5 truly feels like a true new generation. I was skeptical. Just thought it was going to be a simple graphics upgrade and faster boot times. It really is the sum of all its parts. Excellent presentation. I'm actually least impressed by the actual physical console itself. It just doesn't look good in my set up.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try DualSense on PC for newest Ubisoft games? Assassin Creed Valhalla and Watch Dog Legion was giving me weird support with the DS4. It was acting as if there was no deadzone plus I would get huge spikes in random movement on the stick every ~10 seconds. I tried adding the games to Steam to use Steam's native support and it didn't help with the weird random movement spikes, but in non-Ubisoft games the randomness all stayed within Steam's deadzone for the controller.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Still early, but so far a HUGE upgrade from ds4 for me. Build quality, battery, ergonomics, dpad, face buttons, stick placement. Everything.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I have a DualDense that i am using on PC, in Steam. I have played a bunch of Street Fighter V with it. I am as effective with it as I am with DS4. However, the mushy D-pad and Face buttons can throw my rhythim off a bit due to not retracting fast enough as I press them.

The controller is very comfortable and seems tailored made for a "cinematic experience". What i mean by this is the relaxed, mushy comfort level when using it. Think of a comfortable car ride vs a sporty car ride.

I have played some matches of Street Fighter V with the Xbox Series controller and that new D-pad is the best one of them all. I need that tactile response !

Sounds disappointing coming from the tournament viable DualShock 4. Thanks for impression.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Really wish the buttons had colors. Looks like a brilliant controller otherwise. It's just nice to have color recognition for inputs. Especially with QTEs.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely unreal. Once Steam provides support for the haptics it will be supplanting my Elite V2.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I've not really sat down and played anything, but I just picked up the controller for PC use. My first impressions were that it feels much nicer than the DS4, build wise. But slowly some issues show. The Dpad is definitely mushy, and so are the face buttons. And the circle button has a weird curve to the side to it as it adheres to the curve of the controller. This feels so wrong to me and I am really not a fan of it. Shoulder buttons are also a bit weird feeling.

I think it's just going to take some getting used to. I played some OlliOlli and was having issues hitting perfect landings. Normally fine with a DS4.

img-20201112-wa0005r4kdc.jpeg

RunningMan

Oct 29, 2017
Have played about 2 hours now with dualsense, and I'm blown away. The amount of sensory information being fed to me through a damn controller is crazy.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I've not really sat down and played anything, but I just picked up the controller for PC use. My first impressions were that it feels much nicer than the DS4, build wise. But slowly some issues show. The Dpad is definitely mushy, and so are the face buttons. And the circle button has a weird curve to the side to it as it adheres to the curve of the controller. This feels so wrong to me and I am really not a fan of it. Shoulder buttons are also a bit weird feeling.

I think it's just going to take some getting used to. I played some OlliOlli and was having issues hitting perfect landings. Normally fine with a DS4.

img-20201112-wa0005r4kdc.jpeg

The only thing the DS4 does (slightly) better is the d-pad. DualSense is better in every way from my ~4 hours of usage.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of it. Im close to turning off the haptics and triggers and I despise symmetrical thumb sticks. Just feels wrong. The flat bottom alters the feel for me too.

Probably in the minority but I'd say
Pro Controller > Elite 2 > Series X > Dual Sense.

Interesting. Yeah not probably...you are DEFINITELY in the minority. Which is fine.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So, my console just arrived minutes ago. It is not set up yet. But the first thing I did was take the controller out of the box because it is the feature of the hardware I am most excited about. I have had nothing but high expectations for the controller.

But I need to be honest here: the face buttons are not what I expected. They are very soft buttons. They are very short, very shallow, and don't click. They just... mush. It feels so wrong. They are nothing like the DualShock 4.

We will see how it feels to play an actual game but I've used a lot of controllers with a lot of buttons in my life and I have never had such a viscerally negative reaction to such an integral suppression. This is not at all what I anticipated. I am interested what other people think about this because I was prepared to be over the moon with this controller. I hope it is just a bad first impression.

Edit: I will come back after 24 hours and say how I feel after extended play.
I really don't like the way the Dualsense sits in the hand. I've been having a go at using it all day and I just can't seem to find a way to hold it that makes it just feel natural in my hands and I'm constantly hyper aware of it and having to shuffle my grip around.

I'm also not a fan of how the buttons feel, they seem to have a little less tactile feedback compared to the DS4 and feel a bit mushy especially on the dpad. I'm really disappointed and honestly gutted because I was super excited :(
Probably because of the mic (less noisy). There's a excellent teardown of the controller where the person shows in detail all the materials of the face buttons:

14:14 if timestamp doesn't work, watch for like ~3 minutes.

People unhappy with squishyness of dpad / buttons - if you watch this battle beaver teardown, he shows that you can replace the buttons and/or the silicon spring contact pads with equivalent parts from a DS4, they are identical in shape. It should then perform more to your liking.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I love the adaptive triggers but I have found the haptics to be a bit subtle for me, even with the strongest setting. I have played Astrobot, Demon's Souls, and Godfall so far. I was running on almost no sleep when I did most of my gaming so I will have to keep on trying things. I'm looking forward to trying racing games in the future and Cold War tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yeah, it's incredible. Played a couple of hours of Astro and was immediately blown away. The "UHD" rumble alone is already crazy impressive, but them adaptive triggers are the coolest shit ever and take it to another level. Easily the best controller I've ever used and I don't want to go back to anything else.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really digging it. When I first started Astro I went to Cooling Springs and the haptics were nice but nothing amazing until I hit the sandstorm and holy shit.