• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If it ends at -10% or more we'll have 2 of the 5 biggest percentage losses in history within the week, with the 4 biggest net losses in history within a week and a half almost being guaranteed.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Reits should recover. With multiple properties, they're guaranteed rental income is going to be a consistent money maker. Like everything else reit value has declined but it just might be a good time to buy while cheap. Most reits don't see huge gains but it's all about the dividend payments. When this is over, I can easily believe that reits will move back up to their previous value levels.
yeah that's my safety play

while we wait for the market to recover might as well get paid rent money

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really understand this stuff...

What is triggering this downward fall? I recognize COVID-19 has a ton to do with it...But what is the actual reasoning? People not spending money and profits dropping? People selling because they need money and lowering the value of the stock? I just don't quite get it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What is triggering this downward fall? I recognize COVID-19 has a ton to do with it...But what is the actual reasoning? People not spending money and profits dropping? People selling because they need money and lowering the value of the stock? I just don't quite get it.
Market is sentiment, and sentiment is doomsday-level bad. It'll get worse as we get more hard data on how bad things are.
They can change their dividend payments yeah?
They can and they will.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that all of "Trump's" gains were reversed. This is going to be eating him up on the inside so much.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Poor US response, slowing of economic cogwheels, market horribly inflated (hundreds of billions of dollars in stock buybacks boosting market valuation), 12 year bullrun, etc. We have millions living paycheck to paycheck who lost their jobs, unemployment is going to go above 15%, what is going to happen? Can't go see movies so theatre revenue goes to zero, etc.
Any downturn was going to be an excuse anyway.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
UAL is down FOURTY PERCENT in one day!

Delta not doing much better at -37%

It's crazy to even think this is a possiblity, but I will buy shares if they hit $10 because at that price why not buy a dozen?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the implications of halting trading? Besides the obvious that there won't be any trading if the market is closed, do companies that are falling appreciate it if the market is closed?

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020

A lot of factors, the biggest is probably a rush to get out ahead of an expected recession. People are taking money out of stocks because they expect a massive economic downturn due to the slowdowns caused by COVID-19. This slowdown is going to affect nearly all industries so you're seeing broad selloffs.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reits should recover. With multiple properties, they're guaranteed rental income is going to be a consistent money maker. Like everything else reit value has declined but it just might be a good time to buy while cheap. Most reits don't see huge gains but it's all about the dividend payments. When this is over, I can easily believe that reits will move back up to their previous value levels.
reits consist of rental property. if there is no lessee the lessor cant make money. the lessee is now bleeding money but once they are bankrupt and nobody rents the property because it doesnt make sense... well.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I bought a couple yolo-fuck-around puts on SPY $200 with an expiration of 3/20 yesterday and more than doubled my money. I only spent a total of $120 yesterday and now they're worth like $300.

For the uninitiated, that options contract would make sense if you expected the S&P 500 to drop 20% within three days. I would say it doesn't make sense but it's happening.

less

Oct 25, 2017
DAL at $10 would be wild. I would throw absurd amounts of money at it at that point.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to spend my some of my emergency money and invest for long term, not to get rich quick, but I'm too afraid with the uncertainty.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The fascinating thing is seeing all the news thinking that this is a long term rally. Like literally
This Bill Ackman interview on cnbc is wild. I'll try to post it when it's online. I agree with him that we might need a stay at home shut down for 30 days on the entire country to slow down the virus.
and several times of the year at that until a vaccine is found. Which could actually take 18 months to two years.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a massive liquidation into US$, this is way worse than 2008, kind of had that feeling for a couple of weeks but it's just one giant spiral. Nothing you can do when things just fucking stop.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I want to spend my some of my emergency money and invest for long term, not to get rich quick, but I'm too afraid with the uncertainty.
If you don't play the every lady game you will be fine. The marke tie cyclical this much is very clear. Pretty much but something than don't worry about it til ten years before retirement . By that point start moving it to safer investment vehicles if the market is favorable to cash out then.

If there comes a point where the market is no longer reliable in the long term reliable then we have more things to worry about other than stocks. Things like 'food', 'clean water', not getting killed by a marauding tribe of heavy metal fans, or humanoid predators feasting in docile future humans they bred for food etc.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I bought a couple yolo-fuck-around puts on SPY $200 with an expiration of 3/20 yesterday and more than doubled my money. I only spent a total of $120 yesterday and now they're worth like $300.

For the uninitiated, that options contract would make sense if you expected the S&P 500 to drop 20% within three days. I would say it doesn't make sense but it's happening.
Lmao, nicely done. I'm not surprised at this point.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
How is the market going to stay open during this? When half of the country's businesses are in mandatory closure the market will do nothing but plummet.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Normally I spread my retirement contribution throughout the year, but at this rate I'll probably max it out in a week or two. Prices too good.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Watch out for businesses that could go bankrupt because of the virus. Other sectors like retail should recover. Especially those blue chip large market cap companies. They're not going bankrupt. These are the companies that are going to be the buy low bargains.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why the DOW doesn't just drop to 5000 and stay there until things start looking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.