• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Netflix has confirmed the release date of its Madeleine McCann documentary, promising to offer true crime fans some fresh insight into one of the world's most high-profile missing person investigations.

The eight-part docu-series will offer a detailed look at the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance, promising a "unique" take on the facts of the case as well as its impact on media standards across the world.

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann will blend interviews from 40 contributors in never-before-heard testimonies with existing interviews, archival footage, and re-enactments in an attempt to piece together the extraordinary circumstances surrounding Madeleine's disappearance and the subsequent investigation.

The documentary hasn't been without its controversy, as Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann previously revealed that they refused to participate in the project.

They said in a statement: "We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.

"Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a26818799/madeleine-mccann-netflix-documentary-release-date-uk/

Instead, the programme is expected to lean heavily on interviews with the Portuguese officials who originally investigated the case, many of whom have since established media careers discussing the incident.

Production staff are thought to have interviewed more than 40 individuals, although some leading Fleet Street journalists who covered the story at the time have said they declined to take part.

Those who are thought to have given interviews include the Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral and the journalists Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan, who wrote a book on the case. Others include people questioned by the Portuguese police such as the Briton Robert Murat and the Russian Sergey Malinka, plus the child protection experts Jim Gamble and Ernie Allan.

Some associates of the McCanns did take part. Brian Kennedy, the millionaire businessman who helped fund the initial search for Madeleine, has also talked to the show.

While the Netflix show is speculated to cost more than £1m for each hour-long episode, the 2017 BBC Panorama documentary Madeleine McCann: Ten Years On is understood to have cost less than £200,000. Netflix declined to comment.

One rival documentary producer said: "There's been a lot of speculation about the series ever since it was first heard about, but particularly since the trailer was delayed.

"Around 50 people are thought to have been interviewed for it, so it's taken a while to make and get everything signed off. Although there are eight episodes, it looks as though it is not going to be a big 'reveal' kind of show that some were expecting, more of a narrative piece, although apparently some people are talking for the first time in it."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...leine-mccann-series-after-delays-and-disputes

Well this should be interesting and I imagine pretty controversial. Not sure what this documentary can offer what isn't already known but might be a convenient way to hear about all the possibilities of the case. The Guardian article above details the high cost and the history of this documentary.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Her parents know what happened and have been visibly annoyed by people being interested in this case.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
So its like 5 mins long saying her parents should be in prison with their kids taken away for child neglect at least.
Or murder.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If this leads to the parents being made accountable and finally arrested I'm all for it

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
I'm kind of glad in a way that Madeleine's dissappearance is still getting exposure but i really can't see us ever getting closure on this one. Parents guilty of something, or not.

Also, $1million per episode seems nuts.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea how they had the connections to get so much high profile support. It's baffling how many millionaires and personalities got involved in this specific case. The whole thing sounds off and I really don't like how rich some people are getting off it.

Oct 25, 2017
China
The only reason this was not investigated properly is becasue they were middle class white people and the british media at the time were all about pedo fear and ignored the evidence after the fact so they didnt lose face.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
The day after the "disappearance" I saw the parents on live TV. It was at the height of my poker playing days. I immediately called their bluff. They know what happened. They did something. They're liars.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this was not investigated properly is becasue they were middle class white people and the british media at the time were all about pedo fear and ignored the evidence after the fact so they didnt lose face.
Ywqtsdi.gif

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Great, more newspaper headlines for the McCann's 🙄

No idea how they're going to fill 8 episodes, unless its largely focused on the media and public hysteria. Or better yet, why exactly the British police were so willing to entertain the parent's bullshit?

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked the Netflix site and this is the description:

KvdPBkC.png

It seems they are outright saying that the parents had nothing to do with it by saying it was "a detective's mistaken belief that they played a part".

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Did the Clement Freud connection ever get fully investigated? I remember thinking he likely had something to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017
China
The day after the "disappearance" I saw the parents on live TV. It was at the height of my poker playing days. I immediately called their bluff. They know what happened. They did something. They're liars.
Same. I was eating breakfast and just turned on BBC 24 news. It was half way through and interview with Kate. I did not know what the story was at that exact time but she kept repeating "we checked every ten (?) Minutes. I thought to myself while eating my cornflakes "The lady doth protest too much". Nothing that followed that 1st impression has changed my mind. There are a fucking shitload of contradictions in the evidence.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
They fucked up by leaving the kids alone, no excuse for that. But an 8 part entertainment piece, seems... exploitative.

I'm torn on this, I can't rationalize why parents would kill a child. For money? Fame? One night out? I just can't.

BBC said last year the investigation received more funds, enough to run until March 31st of this year. What else can they find? 2007 was a long time ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Did the Clement Freud connection ever get fully investigated? I remember thinking he likely had something to do with it.

https://www./news/article-3659322/P...-ex-MP-s-disturbing-relationship-McCanns.html

BBC said last year the investigation received more funds, enough to run until March 31st of this year. What else can they find? 2007 was a long time ago.

The team from Leicestershire Police applied last month for a further £300,000 from the Home Office to continue the enquiry into 2020.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
A Netflix documentary is about the best way of shining a light on how terrible her parents are for anyone still in any doubt. They are lucky to be walking around free.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
As a Portuguese this case was EVERYWHERE. The media frenzy and news cycle was something else.

I'm really curious with the cops have to say since there was a lot of controversy surrounding the investigation after a certain point and especially when the parents were kinda accused. I think public perception really is that they did it.

Probably the most mediatic case ever in Portuguese history.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I used to think it was the most eye-rolling thing ever to accuse her parents of being somehow involved, but now I think it's plausible.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think it was the most eye-rolling thing ever to accuse her parents of being somehow involved, but now I think it's plausible.

I'll never forget the connection to their rental car that had blood
The dogs finding it
They having the key to the local church

And when the police wanted to press on this, Scotland yard taking over the case and never following through the lead.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The dogs finding it

And when the police wanted to press on this, Scotland yard taking over the case and never following through the lead.

Yeah, there was a good Generation Why (true crime podcast) episode on this that talked about the car and sniffer dogs.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it was possible they were guilty, an accident or sudden anger but how on earth did they get rid of the body and not get caught?

The media circus got ridiculous, middle class, cute blonde kid pictures and video, they had already decided the outcome. Maybe it has gone so overboard that they covered it up, a bit insane though?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
China
They fucked up by leaving the kids alone, no excuse for that. But an 8 part entertainment piece, seems... exploitative.

I'm torn on this, I can't rationalize why parents would kill a child. For money? Fame? One night out? I just can't.

It was an accidental death through negligence that was covered up by the parents and thier friends. Media hype was manipulated to aid covering it up. It's telling that some of the group of friends have as far as I know have never spoken publically about it.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just checked the Netflix site and this is the description:

KvdPBkC.png

It seems they are outright saying that the parents had nothing to do with it by saying it was "a detective's mistaken belief that they played a part".
That description disappoints me so much, if from the get-go they dismiss the possibility of the parents being involved, why bother at all? The McCanns' bizarre, disconnected and often standoffish demeanour, as well as their more-than-suspect backers and shady connections, are super interesting and compelling elements of this whole saga. I hope they don't just gloss over all that and spend 8 episodes painting them as the victims. There's no way they aren't hiding something.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I always thought it was possible they were guilty, an accident or sudden anger but how on earth did they get rid of the body and not get caught?

This is the wrinkle. One theory I read was that Gerry was a Scuba diver, drove the car out to a quiet beach and disposed of the body there. Surely any shallow grave would have been found, if it was investigated properly.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
The dogs finding it

Is this real? Why would Portuguese officials just roll over?

https://www./news/article-3659322/P...-ex-MP-s-disturbing-relationship-McCanns.html

The team from Leicestershire Police applied last month for a further £300,000 from the Home Office to continue the enquiry into 2020.

Likely an unfortunate accident they tried to cover up out of fear of being arrested for neglect.

It was an accidental death through negligence that was covered up by the parents and thier friends. Media hype was manipulated to aid covering it up. It's telling that some of the group of friends have as far as I know have never spoken publically about it.

This is frustrating as hell.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all remember when an innocent Berber family had to prove that their daughter was actually theirs, because apparently the idea of having children who don't look like their parents is a foreign concept to some people?

58fdd7f61c00002600e8144d.jpeg

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
As a Portuguese this case was EVERYWHERE. The media frenzy and news cycle was something else.

I'm really curious with the cops have to say since there was a lot of controversy surrounding the investigation after a certain point and especially when the parents were kinda accused. I think public perception really is that they did it.

Probably the most mediatic case ever in Portuguese history.

Greetings fellow portuguese!

I'm from Lagos (just 6km from Praia da Luz) and i remembered that in less than a week almost everyone turned against their parents since there was a lot of people from there that claimed it would be impossible to kidnap the girl without anyone noticing or seeing anything.

I still believe that it was an accident and they've disposed of the body.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
That description disappoints me so much, if from the get-go they dismiss the possibility of the parents being involved, why bother at all? The McCanns' bizarre, disconnected and often standoffish demeanour, as well as their more-than-suspect backers and shady connections, are super interesting and compelling elements of this whole saga. I hope they don't just gloss over all that and spend 8 episodes painting them as the victims. There's no way they aren't hiding something.
The trailer didn't give off that vibe.

At 1 minute in: "Statistically, it's likely to be someone who is in close proximity with the child" while Kate gives a shady look to the camera. Of course, the trailer may not be representative of the whole documentary but that was highly suggestive.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Definitely interested in watching this - disappointed to see it's seemingly taking the position that they're innocent or not complicit in some way though. There's so much that points to them.

I went to University in Leicester and would see the McCann's around fairly often - always made my stomach turn a little.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find a few things about this case suspect.

The fact one of the adults who checked on the kids said they felt someone else was in the room, possibly hiding behind the door, yet didn't go in to confirm this is kind of weird.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I "studied" this case a lot, read all the main police interviews with those involved, the investigation details, etc.

The only thing that was specifically strange was the father saying on camera, to his frieds, when they were arriving from the airport and were being cheerful, that "I'm not here to enjoy myself.". It was said jokingly but it's not clear what he could have meant. Might have been that he was referring to the tennis lessons.

But other than that it seems very unlikely that they were involved. I thought they were at first, but it's almost impossible with involving their friends. I do think they tried to obfuscate the investigation to cover their negligence, I do think they probably gave the kids sleeping pills, and probably forgot to close the window in the bedroom if curtain was closed. But actually planning her kidnapping seems far fetched when you look at the evidence. The father went to the room around 30mins before the mother, and met another man (I think the tennis teacher from the club), who was having a stroll with his baby. There were no signs that he was nervous or in a hurry, yet if he was involved it could have all gone wrong at this point since they were very close to the house.

Before him, they allowed a friend to check up on their kids since he was going to check on his own. That too could have gone wrong.

And the kid was seen in the afternoon, so if she had died in an accident they would have had no time to get red rid of her in the two hours between their previous public appearances and the later.

The only way they could be involved is if they purposely drugged the kids and left the window open and waited for someone they knew would come in and take the child but there is no indication this could have happened or what the benefit would have been. But from what we can assume it was because Madeleine cried the previous night when left alone, according to a neighbor, that they would have used sleeping pills.

I think they were just really negligent and tried to save their reputation by any means.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
China
I find a few things about this case suspect.

The fact one of the adults who checked on the kids said they felt someone else was in the room, possibly hiding behind the door, yet didn't go in to confirm this is kind of weird.

That was an after the fact bullshit retcon from the parents when they realised thier on the spot made up timeline had a plot hole.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

I thought the hypothesis was, because one of them is a doctor, maybe they drugged their kids to sleep just so they could leave them and go and have a nice meal out with friends, and they fucked up and somehow Madeline died as a result. Then they've tried to cover it up ever since.

No matter what has happened they should have been treated with disdain for their neglect of their children, should never have been treated with kid gloves because you know for an absolute fact if it had been a working class couple going for a piss up rather than a middle class family "entertaining" there would never have been any sympathy anywhere for the couple.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
These true crime docuseries are among the best things Netflix is outputting. I am definitely watching this asap. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. Stopped the trailer after about 20 seconds because I want it to remain as much of a surprise as possible.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do you all remember when an innocent Berber family had to prove that their daughter was actually theirs, because apparently the idea of having children who don't look like their parents is a foreign concept to some people?

58fdd7f61c00002600e8144d.jpeg
She looks like them in the face and eyes though, except for the fair hair, which a lot of kids grow out of. Madness.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Never got over the suspicion that the parents are hiding something, but we'll probably never know.
The fact that the description outright says that the parents are innocent is strange to say the least.

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018
If I'm remembering correctly one of my teachers in high school was Madeline's uncle (or at least another close family member).

It was so odd at the time, I believe he went out there to help the search initially.

The whole case wasn't really something we ever spoke about at school because of it. I will be watching this ASAP.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not convinced the parents were in on it or somehow managed to dispose of a body but I do feel if the parents were ethnic minority or working-class white the media would have attacked them and blamed them.