• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know. There's a lot of fair comparisons here that should just be considered subjectivity and not a screwjob or injustice. When there's really good competition in a given year then nobody is getting screwed or snubbed. They just got beat by fair competition.

I think some of the politics and lobbying that happens is the bigger injustice. Some mediocre stuff gets artificially inflated when it really is undeserving.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Grammy awards usually miss out huge swathes of the best music in a given year. The whole indie sphere is basically excluded unless something breaks through to radio, despite typically being some of the best reviewed and artistically interesting music out there. Particularly for rock, as pop is obviously gonna be popular and a lot of great and creative hip-hop does have broad appeal. Are we supposed to believe that the best rock bands of the 2000s were Foo Fighters and U2? If you were to just look at Grammys won, that's what it would look like. That time period was crazy for indie music too - like 2004 to 2010 there were probably hundreds of indie rock bands getting great reviews and playing sold out shows, some of them eventually in arenas... but it was the exception to see any of them nominated. The Oscars have their share of problems too, but to their credit you'll still see movies 90% of people have never and will never watch win multiple awards because they're just that good. Music should be the same.

I also think it's silly when an award is given because someone is "due", when the thing they win for isn't actually the best of the year. Like Leo winning his Oscar for that bear movie, and Kendrick winning a pulitzer for Damn (should have been TPAB).

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
Still salty about the year Your Name wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature but Boss Baby was. I know it was due to something about FUNimation/the rights holders not submitting it to the Academy, but it still grinds my gears.
Anime in general doesn't stand a chance unless it's Ghibli.

It's been well-known for a while that the Academy largely doesn't care about animation and just votes for whichever one they saw with their kids, so it's best not to give it any weight.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Martin Landau was great in Ed Wood, but he should not have won over Samuel L. Jackson's performance in Pulp Fiction.

Disagree. Sam was great in Pulp Fiction, but I feel like Landau was stretching his acting chops way further than Sam was in those respective roles. Sam's performance was iconic, but I don't think it was "better acting" than what Burton got out of Landau.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, Shakespeare in Love is a better film than Saving Private Ryan.
this

Also your quote:
In a poll in 2015, Academy members indicated that, given a second chance, they would award the Oscar for Best Picture to Saving Private Ryan
is pretty meaningless given membership is changed annually and the 2015 Academy is not the same group of people as the 1998 academy. In no way does that mean the 1998 Academy membership regrets their decision.

Last edited:

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb choosing Hitman over Doom because of the multiplayer during the 2016 GOTY.

Always looked at them differently since then.

Hitman's cool, but DOOM.

kilg0re

Oct 25, 2017
Green Book winning Best Picture and Screenplay Oscars.

Winning over First Reformed, BlackKklansman, Roma, and The Favourite is fucking laughable. Green Book shouldn't have even been nominated in either category.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How the hell was Revenge of the Sith not even nominated for visual effects? HOW? It didn't need to win, but how was it not even nominated?

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mark Rylance for Best Supporting Actor in Bridge of Spies over Stallone in Creed. Criminal

Nothing1016

Oct 25, 2017
California
The lack of respect Hip-Hop/Rap gets at the Grammys. Like Kanye West and Kendrick have released some of the greatest albums of all time regardless of genre and that still wasn't good enough for Album of the Year.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp A Butterfly are landmark achievements in music but the Grammys just wants rap music to "stay in their lane" so to speak.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I lost complete faith in the Oscars when Crash beat out literally every better movie for best picture.

Fuck Crash.
Brokeback Mountain? Better than Crash
Capote? Better than Crash
Munich? Better than Crash
Good Night and Good Luck? Much much much better than Crash

Fuck Crash

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No big discussion....but Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich.....and it was Crash that won....

JFC.

Tom Hanks should have won Best Actor for Cast Away in 2001 instead of Crowe for Gladiator. He was screwed because the Academy likely thought that having 3 Best Actor awards would be too much.

Come now, we're talking screwjobs not two insanely great performances where either is justified in winning. Personally, I think Crowe deserved that win more.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just about everything I was going to bring up is here let me add two that I felt were just wrong. Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse should have been nominated for Best Picture that year and Fury Road should have won Best Picture. I was already watching less and less of these award shows but Fury Road losing BP was it for me.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Carrey being snubbed by the Oscars for The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

May 22, 2018
The first big snub I witnessed was the Oscar for Best Actor in 2000 going to Kevin Spacey for American Beauty and not Denzel Washington for The Hurricane. When Washington won in 2002 for Training Day it was obvious the academy was making up for their previous mistake.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoop Dreams being completely snubbed out of the big categories in '94 and the documentary dept shutting off the movie after 15 minutes. It was Roger Ebert's #1 movie of the whole decade and for good reason.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to blame anything for Shakespeare in Love winning best picture, blame The Thin Red Line. It was a classic case of vote splitting.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
First Reformed got straight up screwed in 2019. I can't believe fucking Green Book won that year. That was a career-best performance from Ethan Hawke and he didn't even get a nomination. Not to mention that the only nomination Paul Schrader got was for Best Screenplay. Bullshit.

Also that time Dances With Wolves won over Goodfellas. I like Dances With Wolves, but these two movies are clearly not fighting in the same weight class.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Saving Private Ryan is the one I think of whenever this topic comes up.

I didn't realize the one about Tom Hanks and Russell Crowe. I love Gladiator as much as the next guy, but Hanks' performance in Cast Away is legendary.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I didn't realize the one about Tom Hanks and Russell Crowe. I love Gladiator as much as the next guy, but Hanks' performance in Cast Away is legendary.

Crowes performance in gladiator is legendary and to this day I still hear people talk about it or reference that performance. I love castaway and Hanks is amazing in it but both deserved an Oscar and I hardly think it was some big robbery.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
How Far I'll Go from Moana losing best song to City of Stars from La La Land (not even the best song of that movie) was a fucking travesty.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Giant Bomb choosing Hitman over Doom because of the multiplayer during the 2016 GOTY.

Always looked at them differently since then.

Hitman's cool, but DOOM.

Hard disagree -- it's not just the multiplayer. DOOM 2016 is 10+ hours long, which is pretty long for a shooter, while the original game clocked in at 4.5 hours (per howlongtobeat), and it felt like it dragged in the latter third or so of the game. Hitman had some uneven levels (Colorado being a lowlight), but it never felt like it dragged.

Now if you had said Tetris Effect winning after RDR2 and God of War split the vote, that'd be more reasonable to me.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this song was amazing

200.gif