• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I'm not too worried about this right now during a pandemic. It better not be this low after the pandemic tho.

Edit: after reading a little more into it, yeah, this doesn't seem like a very good move for the Biden admin.

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been noted that the reason for this might be because Miller and Trump imploded the infrastructure for us to take in refugees.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too worried about this right now during a pandemic. It better not be this low after the pandemic tho.

Seeing as america has happily allowed travellers from plenty of places during the whole pandemic, including from countries on the banned list if the person is married to a US citizen or Green card holder, there shouldn't be any issue with allowing refugees who have already been awarded the right to come to the usa in. The mindset that a pandemic would stop that is a bad one when they'd happily let people in for other less important reasons from elsewhere. There are people who got granted the right to come to America under refugee status who had their flights cancelled and have been sat waiting for Biden to sign paperwork to allow them to actually fly using their status, the insanely low number of allowed refugees have held them up.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
"Nothing will fundamentally change." is the only promise you can expect Biden to keep.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
And already people are rationalizing why actually this isn't a bad thing. Fucking sick.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It's been noted that the reason for this might be because Miller and Trump imploded the infrastructure for us to take in refugees.
They definitely did. People in Homeland Security who were doing the interviews for the overseas screenings got reassigned to jobs here in the US. It takes time to train people and move them back to Chad or Kenya or Istanbul to screen Syrians and Somalis.

Also it should be noted that the cap is not the limiting factor on refugees because 1) Biden can hike it unilaterally if we reach 15k anyway:

EzHm0ttXMAQ60g0

and 2) a refugee starting the process today will take two years before they get resettled in the US. So the limiting factor on pipeline right now is the intake apparatus, and the degree to which Biden is spinning that up is how he should be judged, IMO.

All that said, I don't mind criticism of Biden on this issue — prodding him to do better is a normal and good thing for activists to do. But I do think there's a good bit of theater here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"This will give us street cred with our GOP counterparts"
GOP Counterparts: LOL eat shit.

It's the one area where his admin is polling poorly, and they think that being more conservative is the answer? Good luck with that nonsense.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Potential reasoning:

Even though the migrants at the border go through a separate vetting process than those fleeing persecution overseas, Friday's directive comes amid growing concerns that the surge of border crossings had already overwhelmed the refugee branch of the Department of Health and Human Services, according to two senior administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the decision-making.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/16/us/biden-refugees-cap.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even from a pure cynical POV that care about elections and nothing else, I think it's a huge mistake to play politics with this shit, it's not going to work anyway, you are not going to outflank Republicans on this issue.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Should be noted that there's still a commitment to raise it to 125,000 in October for the next fiscal year, but it should also be noted that we'll likely have another excuse for why we can't raise it to that number either when the time arrives.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just say that then?
I don't know. The people I know who work in the field have been saying all year that the cap, per se, is meaningless to how many refugees actually get resettled anytime soon. I think if I were a refugee I would find this news discouraging, but I'm not sure it directly harms anyone, either. It's a question of optics and politics, and I don't know anyone who said Biden never fucks up the optics or politics. But it also seems like most people who think they care about this issue don't read past the headlines, so the politics around the issue seem rather bonkers in general.

I understand why so many people in refugee resettlement wish they could go back to being a program that largely flew under the public's radar. Hell, Kentucky is one of the top resettlement states specifically because Kentuckians didn't notice refugee resettlement was happening until Trump drew attention to it.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Biden record on immigration and border policy has to be by far the most disappointing aspect of his presidency at this point

Donkey Kong

Banned
Sep 30, 2020
His second big decision this week to disappoint me, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt on this issue, given Trump possibly imploding the infrastructure and the pandemic going on. Hopefully next year will be different.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the reason for this decision is because Trump destroyed our capacity to take in more refugees, which I assume it is, the administration should be making that abundantly clear. It's hard to determine yet if this is a policy failure but it is clearly a messaging failure.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

I take issue with this quote:

"The 62,500 number was vetted by everybody and *was* the rebuilding before admitting 125,000 refugees next year. This was clearly a political decision."

That number of post-Trump refugee admission always was a political number. No one was expecting the US to resettle anywhere near 62,500 — I personally heard optimistic estimates in the 30k range earlier this year. And Biden specifically reserves the right to raise to 30k, 63k, or any number whatsoever if we hit 15k. This outrage is not really about the number of refugees who'll come in next year, but about the message we're sending about refugee resettlement. That's a perfectly fine debate to have, but let's be clear about what's actually at stake here and what isn't.

Oct 27, 2017
Well is there a stated reason or explanation, or even a speculated on, or is the takeaway/implication here supposed to be that the Biden admin hates refugees as much as Trump/Miller?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people here will be disappointed in how this move will be seen by the average person that voted Biden.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I take issue with this quote:

"The 62,500 number was vetted by everybody and *was* the rebuilding before admitting 125,000 refugees next year. This was clearly a political decision."

That number of post-Trump refugee admission always was a political number. No one was expecting the US to resettle anywhere near 62,500 — I personally heard optimistic estimates in the 30k range earlier this year. And Biden specifically reserves the right to raise to 30k, 63k, or any number whatsoever if we hit 15k. This outrage is not really about the number of refugees who'll come in next year, but about the message we're sending about refugee resettlement. That's a perfectly fine debate to have, but let's be clear about what's actually at stake here and what isn't.
When the Biden administration went to Congress in February and said that they did a thorough inter-agency analysis and decided that accepting 62,500 refugees in FY2021 is both doable and justified by grave humanitarian concerns and is in the national interest I didn't think that they were lying.

www.state.gov

Report to Congress on the Proposed Emergency Presidential Determination on Refugee Admissions for Fiscal Year 2021 - United States Department of State

This report to the Committees on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives and of the Senate is being sent in advance of the appropriate consultation pursuant to the statutory requirements of Sections 207(b) and (e) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. § 1157(b) and (e). The report provides the information...

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
When the Biden administration went to Congress in February and said that they did a thorough inter-agency analysis and decided that accepting 62,500 refugees in FY2021 is both doable and justified by grave humanitarian concerns and is in the national interest I didn't think that they were lying.

www.state.gov

Report to Congress on the Proposed Emergency Presidential Determination on Refugee Admissions for Fiscal Year 2021 - United States Department of State

This report to the Committees on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives and of the Senate is being sent in advance of the appropriate consultation pursuant to the statutory requirements of Sections 207(b) and (e) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. § 1157(b) and (e). The report provides the information...
I don't think that they were lying, but I do think they were figuring out a politically positive number. All I can say is that 63k is roughly double what people in refugee resettlement agencies were realistically expecting to happen that year.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
During a pandemic? I wouldn't be so quick to. But only for that reason.

So are you also going to demand the usa shut down all travel to the usa? Because they haven't done so. As I said earlier, the pandemic is a shitty reason to not let in refugees, some of which have already had the checks done and are waiting to be able to fly but can't because the stupid low cap on people allowed in under that program. Especially when the usa would have no issues with letting people in from other places under less important reasons. Even countries on the banned travel list have exemptions for family of green card holders or us citizens so they can go into the usa right now.

Why can't they allow refugees to travel under the same checks that those have to do? America started shit all over the world and some of those people who lived in those areas now need to leave, but now have to sit around waiting because the usa has decided their own crisis is the only that matters. It's honestly ridiculous that people think world aid and shit needs to stop when a pandemic happens.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
I'm absolutely dreading for the almost unavoidable bloodbath post Aghanistan withdrawal as the US abandons the interpreters who have risked their lives to protect US forces, just like they did in Saigon and just like the cold shoulder the Kurds received. This Refugee cap absolutely needed to be lifted to help some of them who have been in limbo for close to a decade, not counting the others who have been murdered waiting.

User Banned (2 Months): Trolling and antagonizing other users; long history of inflammatory behavior.
Hahahhahahahahahahaha this is the fucking loser so many of you ran to the polls to vote for. Don't even start with the bullshit were people defend this that Trump isn't doing it, like a lot of people are doing with the children STILL in cages.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Is this rollback or was this just deceptive reporting by the part of the NYT in the first place?

Hmm. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...n-on-refugee-admissions-for-fiscal-year-2021/

It states,
(d) The admission of up to 15,000 refugees remains justified by humanitarian concerns and is otherwise in the national interest. Should 15,000 admissions under the revised allocations for FY 2021 be reached prior to the end of the fiscal year and the emergency refugee situation persists, a subsequent Presidential Determination may be issued to increase admissions, as appropriate.

So hedging his bets. Well the outcry should ensure more than 15k get in at least. Hopefully we can hit 50k.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Hahahhahahahahahahaha this is the fucking loser so many of you ran to the polls to vote for. Don't even start with the bullshit were people defend this that Trump isn't doing it, like a lot of people are doing with the children STILL in cages.

I'll run right back to the polls to vote for him again ya dofus, still 100 times better than Trump. A cookie would be a better President than trump.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Candidate Biden and President Biden are apparently two different people.
Cool bro.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...n-on-refugee-admissions-for-fiscal-year-2021/

It states,

So hedging his bets. Well the outcry should ensure more than 15k get in at least. Hopefully we can hit 50k.

Ah, thanks. I guess we'll see what ends up happening then.
Seems to say
1. Based on the current humanitarian crisis, the allocation of refugees from different regions is being adjusted
2. If we reach 15k and there's still a crisis the cap will be adjusted

Last edited:
Why does it even require a walk back? Like got damn do the Democrats and Biden have issues with their messaging.

I'll run right back to the polls to vote for him again ya dofus, still 100 times better than Trump. A cookie would be a better President than trump.

But if that's the bar than George Bush is in the running for greatest president of all-time. The standard for the rest of our lives can't just be "better than Trump". I don't want that to be America for the next 40 years.