• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The longer I play (atm ~12h) the more it becomes clear this is style over substance. It's quite shallow and game time is needlessly padded with INSANE backtracking multiple times and no way to shortcut any of it, apart from the metro system which might as well be non-existent.

It also has super annoying stuff in it for no fucking reason. Hey that level 21 guy you can easily kill, but that level 22 guy one shots you no matter what, since he's 6 level above you instead of 5. WHY? Why implement this utter bullshit?
And why have quest markers for quests YOU CAN'T START/FINISH since you haven't unlocked the area throught the main mission yet? But hey let's mark it as "level 2" despite unlocking it at level 10 or something. You can also partially finish a quest, but to "deliver" it, it ends in a random place with no way of closing it... after googling - yep, you unlock the area later... IT'S MENTIONED NO WHERE.

Urgh...

I also frequently encounter bugs. Like I had to fight 2 spider mechs at once... except they didn't die. When I eventually died and tried again... now it's one and he dies... and during a cutscene 2 other spawn and get taken care off... so I somehow triggered those two to show up?! DMG numbers also show up whenever they feel like it.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm really enjoying it so far, it's a wildly different game from anything I've played before. Also this has been a bug free experience for me so far, except with some minor sound glitches. Drones, in particular, are very loud in "Small speakers" settings and their sound will just play in a deafening loop in some sections.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
caved and got it on steam bugs and all. man the atmosphere is dope af. gives my old ass a feeling i havent had since '93 syndicate

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Really starting to get into the swing of this on Series S. I'm really starting to like the combat now I've got a good feel for it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get instantly wrecked by the boss in the reactor (Deepstink), because it spawned with multiple copies of itself? I just got insta-BBQd by a screen full of flame. LOL YOU DIED.

After I respawned there was only one copy of the boss, which was more manageable. Looks like a buggo.

LMAO. YES!

I wanna say there were at least 5? I dunno, it was over in like two seconds so I'm not even sure. That was the first boss that had me reeavaluating my damage types, because it was so much easier once I switched.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
The longer I play (atm ~12h) the more it becomes clear this is style over substance. It's quite shallow and game time is needlessly padded with INSANE backtracking multiple times and no way to shortcut any of it, apart from the metro system which might as well be non-existent.

It also has super annoying stuff in it for no fucking reason. Hey that level 21 guy you can easily kill, but that level 22 guy one shots you no matter what, since he's 6 level above you instead of 5. WHY? Why implement this utter bullshit?
And why have quest markers for quests YOU CAN'T START/FINISH since you haven't unlocked the area throught the main mission yet? But hey let's mark it as "level 2" despite unlocking it at level 10 or something. You can also partially finish a quest, but to "deliver" it, it ends in a random place with no way of closing it... after googling - yep, you unlock the area later... IT'S MENTIONED NO WHERE.

Urgh...

I also frequently encounter bugs. Like I had to fight 2 spider mechs at once... except they didn't die. When I eventually died and tried again... now it's one and he dies... and during a cutscene 2 other spawn and get taken care off... so I somehow triggered those two to show up?! DMG numbers also show up whenever they feel like it.

Don't know if you are aware, you but you can use the taxi to fasttravel, T on PC or left on the D-pad!

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Is there any way to refund the upgrades youve already made on a weapon set, and get the components back?

It's so hard to find more upgrade components, and I'm really wishing I could reallocate all the parts I wasted on useless weapons into the good stuff, like the EBR.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i'm crashing a lot now, like once every 15 min

DX11, RT OFF

9WQWNx6.png

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've upgraded my targeting and weapon handling, I'm having a lot more fun with the game.

But how do you use overcharge? I'm only at level 10, so I assume this is an augmentation that I'll pick up later on.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Difficulty spikes are very prevalent. I feel the game doesn't prepare you for what's coming next. That mech fight being a prime example. I was around level 10 I think at the time. Constantly kept dying. So in frustration I ran directly at the mech and stayed close to it. A random pillar helped too. The mech had to try and path around it. Still took a ton of bullets to bring it down. I imagine this isn't how the encounter was designed to play out. It felt broken.

Now I'm back in the sink and Im being over run by robots. Robots that never previously posed a threat, now suddenly attack. It's a bit confusing.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Difficulty spikes are very prevalent. I feel the game doesn't prepare you for what's coming next. That mech fight being a prime example. I was around level 10 I think at the time. Constantly kept dying. So in frustration I ran directly at the mech and stayed close to it. A random pillar helped too. The mech had to try and path around it. Still took a ton of bullets to bring it down. I imagine this isn't how the encounter was designed to play out. It felt broken.

Now I'm back in the sink and Im being over run by robots. Robots that never previously posed a threat, now suddenly attack. It's a bit confusing.
I had the same issue, the two things that helped me with this area was burst machine gun with homing missiles ( can't recall the names) and most importantly, any energy weapons! Energy are the best with robots! I had an energy shotgun with 1k damage

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Played a couple more hours and still digging it! I do have a hard time with the map though. For example, knowing what sub-map a side quest's objective is in is hard to discern unless I'm missing something.

Mar 19, 2020
Loving the game so far! Any suggestions for how to beat the
Spider Mech
that has been absolutely rolling me? I worked my way back to the main hub so that I could buy/upgrade anything I need. Part of the problem is probably that I haven't upgraded a gun yet haha.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished, has been awhile since I've just sat down and played a game for straight through in 1/2 sittings (about 10-12 hrs or so in total). Doubt I'd have played it if it wasn't for gamepass but was an enjoyable game even with the shortcomings such as menu map and navigation for side quests. Plus one of the better looking games this year (even if it is top down and not 3D). Though do feel it might have been 3D at some point in development as cutscenes are 3D etc.

Yeah some of the boss fights/ new areas def had difficulty spikes when not doing the side missions (such as the first spider boss) but after a couple of attempts I could normally get through them.

I ended up settling on the grenade launcher(R23)/ tracking burst em rifle (forgotten name) as my guns. Shooting felt really good and the music was good and fit the vibe well.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to "Activate" the Train Stations or like do they just become available as soon as you discover the zone they are in?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Runs perfect on my Series X and S. Only saw a very slight stutter once when entering into a new area riding a lift. Otherwise flawless. The more I play it, the more I like it. The shooting feels amazing and the graphics are phenomenal.

Please Neon Giant make a sequel. A CRPG in this world woukd be sick.
No problems so far, approximately halfway through the game.
Thanks, sounds good!

Oct 29, 2017
I am less encouraged to play this coop because there are so many NPCs and dialog sequences that I usually don't like to skip for games. I feel kind of pressured to jump into the action ASAP with my coop partner instead of exploring cities and stuff, since I know they don't really care. Is the story shitty enough in this that I should just take it as a brainless action game with RPG stats instead of caring about why we are doing what we are doing for missions/story?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game but some of the UI stuff is really clunky...

For example the fact that you can't use the left stick when looking at the map still gets me everytime haha.

I also wish you could put custom waypoints on the map.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I am less encouraged to play this coop because there are so many NPCs and dialog sequences that I usually don't like to skip for games. I feel kind of pressured to jump into the action ASAP with my coop partner since I know they don't really care. Is the story shitty enough in this that I should just take it as a brainless action game with RPG stats instead of caring about why we are doing what we are doing for missions/story?

you absolutely can, since you're basically a mercenary the story is nothing but a series of jobs for various factions…its not that the overall story is shitty, it's just unremarkable and I don't think you're missing much not paying attention to minutiae of it

also, a lot of the story is told to you outside of cutscenes anyway

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
PRO TIP for robots/machines: use energy weapons.
And if the enemy uses fire damage (like the spider bot) be sure to change your armours accordingly.
Made a ton of difference for me in several occasions.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I just can't get around the weapon system. There are way too many weapons and a lot similar. I upgraded a lot some weapons who cannot do shit anymore (I didn't know there was elementary tied damages) and so I give up and it takes forever to kill a mob, either by physical, energy or fire damage.

Do you need to "Activate" the Train Stations or like do they just become available as soon as you discover the zone they are in?
The later.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the actual difference between equipping and augment from the menu vs going to the surgery place? The game made it sound like there was a difference but I don't get it?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Gamepass version even have working RT or is it just a meaningless toggle that doesn't do anything?

DLSS ofc is straight up not available on Gamepass ver.

Is there any reason for this discrepancy? I know the developers post here but don't know if they've said anything.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh another question (sorry for all my questions but I really find the UI quite confusing at times)...

So when you look at an item in a shop, what does the number under "Items" mean?

For example I'm looking at a module right now and it says "Items 02" with a little backpack looking icon. At first I thought it was how many of that item I have in my backpack but then pressing Y to sell all duplicates on this does nothing and still shows 2.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had any problems with it. Ultra setting, DX12, RTX on. Playing on a 2080. Looks amazing. No stutter.
What? RTX 3080 here and playing in 4K with DX12 stutters like mad (due to shader loading on every new action), RT tanks FPS to 20-30, there is no DLSS to help with that in MS store version. Are you playing in 1080p or just being being obtuse contrarian? What you are saying is NOT what my experience has been or what vast majority of feedback I've seen here or on Steam forums.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Does the Gamepass version even have working RT or is it just a meaningless toggle that doesn't do anything?

Is there any reason for this discrepancy? I know the developers post here but don't know if they've said anything.
Snefer has said multiple times they're working to get DLSS onto game pass but provided no timeline. As for the reason, it is due to each version being a different build of the game and they have limited resources. I assume the RT not working is just a bug, hopefully fixed in the next patch which I think should add the difficulty selector as well. Also stated fixing the stutters on PC is a top priority. Plus all these other progression and game bugs they're trying to fix at the same time. Team is probably swamped.

Game definitely came in hot. I'm just waiting for a patch or two before diving in any more.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

They are different builds of the game and patching process is different but intended that there is no disparity between PC versions eventually.

I don't think the game has been patched on gamepass so RT still doesn't work if that is the case.

Jan 21, 2019
Finished the game. I only focused on the main quest. Doing the side quests is probably too much for what this game has to offer. I will wear itself out. The main quest was short and sweet. I played with the Dominator and the RPG23.
Everything but the last boss was possible with those, for the last boss I had to lower the difficulty to easy but it was still challending.

All in all, cool game, 7,5/10 (11/10 graphics).

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to say finding this kind of dull. It looks great, but I can't quite put my finger on why it's so dull. only put an hour into it, I think I'll stop though.

checked opencritic page, to see if I was being too harsh, and nope, and saw that it's not exactly scoring well. The gamespot review (6) pretty much nails how I've been feeling about it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
So my pc is melting when i run this on ultra in 4k and with Rtx on (3090) but holy shit does it look good!

I only got one issue, i am from a country that has German as a native language and am playing this on game pass, for some reason part of the game is in English but most of it is in German. Very distancing. How do I change the game to be fully in English?

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
i hit new game by accident - couldnt go back, so i alt tabbed at character creation. turns out it wrote over my 6 hr save? WTF
really fun game but wow the bugs are turning me off. playing on steam