• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
The description for Chiaroscuro seems accurate from what I've seen of it: Hollow Knight gameplay with visual elements akin to Limbo and Undertale. Looks promising.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Ghost Song never came out?

I thought it was one:

Jobbs ?

yeah, actually a lot is going on with the game. I understand it seems like forever, but I did reboot in early 2018, and went on to secure a new publisher (still can't say who it is though, it'll be announced in time). Just mostly head down working on the game.

this is a fairly recent vid showing what the game looks like and just kind of showing a tour of some of the weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGUGJOlaII

And, in fact, there's a very playable (but also very incomplete) demo that some people have tested out. If anyone is into this genre and wants to try it just send me a DM and I can give you a key.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, actually a lot is going on with the game. I understand it seems like forever, but I did reboot in early 2018, and went on to secure a new publisher (still can't say who it is though, it'll be announced in time). Just mostly head down working on the game.

this is a fairly recent vid showing what the game looks like and just kind of showing a tour of some of the weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGUGJOlaII

And, in fact, there's a very playable (but also very incomplete) demo that some people have tested out. If anyone is into this genre and wants to try it just send me a DM and I can give you a key.

Oh. That looks and sounds very good, I liked the feel of the rocket fist and spear like, for example. I've been following your game for some time and the idea of playtesting it is inviting, but my pc is on the older side of the spectrum. I just hope some console version eventually gets to happen. Congrats on getting a new publisher btw and keep at it, at your pace!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

That looks fantastic! :)

List addition #10
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Guess were into the 60s now!

Diamond◈Hex
BgrYACq.gif

A young moon witch in training, Lykke is a shy and reserved lynx that sees herself forced to venture into an unwelcoming world for the sake of her beloved Grandma.
Developer: ◈AcHe◈
Release Date: TBA (Demo in 2020)
Platforms: TBA
Twitter

Haiku, the Robot
Q9eO7H3.gif

A 2D action-adventure platformer heavily focused on exploration, set in a post-apocalyptic world of robots and machinery.
Developer: Mister Morris
Release Date: TBA (Kickstarter in September)
Platforms: PC. Consoles are TBA.
Twitter
Steam
Kickstarter

Last edited:

qhoang

Oct 26, 2017
Lunar Abyss
aCzlFhw.gif

Developer: qhoang
Release Date: TBA
Twitter
Itch
That's my game! Thanks for the adding it to the list!

Began making it this spring with no prior gamedev, coding or art experience. Making a metroidvania might seem daunting as a first project, but my plan is to keep things simple yet compelling. Steadily adding bits and pieces and quickly putting together test rooms right now (which is why some aspects are a bit rough around the edges).

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That's my game! Thanks for the adding it to the list!

Began making it this spring with no prior gamedev, coding or art experience. Making a metroidvania might seem daunting as a first project, but my plan is to keep things simple yet compelling. Steadily adding bits and pieces and quickly putting together test rooms right now (which is why some aspects are a bit rough around the edges).

Good stuff! I'm looking forward to continuing to watch it develop.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Record of Lodoss war is on sale (still early access)

store.steampowered.com

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam

A 2D Metroidvania-style game developed under the supervision of Ryo Mizuno, depicting the story of Deedlit and the events leading up to Record of Lodoss War: Diadem of the Covenant. Use a variety of weapons and spirit powers to unravel the mystery of the labyrinth.

Have they said how close we are to the full release?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't think Guardian of Lore is listed here?

Looks quite nice, has a demo that I'm planning to check out, and is supposedly out in February.

List addition #12
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Added it along with another game.

Guardian of Lore
raD3FDo.gif

A mystical library houses books of ancient folktales from lost civilizations. Play as prince Sayri, and protect these stories from wicked magic that aims to erase their memory forever. Enter each story and save it from within... or at least part of it.
Developer: Round2Games
Release Date: February 2021
Platforms: PC
Twitter
Steam

--

Elderand
site_gif_03.gif

Experience a Lovecraftian story-driven action RPG game with skill-based combat. Explore and Fight in a dreadful world rich in treasures and deadly creatures.
Developer: Publicidadeba
Release Date: TBA
Twitter
Official Site

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Amazing thread - thank you for compiling it. :) Also a terrifying thread given that I'm making a Metroidvania, too. :\

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Record of Lodoss war is on sale (still early access)

store.steampowered.com

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam

A 2D Metroidvania-style game developed under the supervision of Ryo Mizuno, depicting the story of Deedlit and the events leading up to Record of Lodoss War: Diadem of the Covenant. Use a variety of weapons and spirit powers to unravel the mystery of the labyrinth.

I've been playing this off and on for the last few weeks. It has a really interesting Ikaruga system with alternating elements that can damage or heal you based on the element you switch to.

The gameplay is really solid and the sprite work is absolutely fantastic. Give it a shot if you can.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Light looks great!

Dug the music in that biomass trailer, not sure i like the art style.

While I do like the art in Biomass, it's the design of the world that I'm really excited for:
www.resetera.com

'Biomass' Launch Trailer | A World of Obvious and Hidden Choices (Out Oct 13th) News

I had written about the game earlier but I wanted a clean slate now that it has a new trailer and release date. There was a demo released (still available here but note that it is very old) for the game late last year and I was surprised by its design. At first glance this may seem like a...

Oct 26, 2017
UK
While I do like the art in Biomass, it's the design of the world that I'm really excited for:
www.resetera.com

'Biomass' Launch Trailer | A World of Obvious and Hidden Choices (Out Oct 13th) News

I had written about the game earlier but I wanted a clean slate now that it has a new trailer and release date. There was a demo released (still available here but note that it is very old) for the game late last year and I was surprised by its design. At first glance this may seem like a...

The world and environments do look good, I guess its just the characters i don't think look great but I'm still interested.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
thought I mentioned this before, but I guess not:

Out in December now, this is a cyberpunk Noire RPG-y platformer. Not 100% sure how metroidvania-y this is (though the description says "metroidvania with guns"), but from what i played of the demo, there are key items that unlock additional paths, at least. Not sure about actual traversal upgrades.

EDIT: and another one. This one's with a Korean theme, demo available on Steam

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
multiple games have Steam demos right now.

The only one I played so far was Endless Memories. Like the weapon-switching system, really changes your play-style depending on whether you're using a a quick or heavy weapon.

F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch describess itself as a metroidvania, but except for the map and some collectibles, it seemed like a pretty linear platformer. Fun combat though.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
lol Ghost Song is never gonna release. It's been in dev for 8+ years at least?

EDIT: I see Jobbs replied on this thread, please prove me wrong and release it. It's been forever.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I gave Batbarian a try yesterday and played through the 30 min cap and get up to the first boss. I'm digging the art and the humor. Game seems like it will be fun.