• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is development mode. Is that like a hidden service menu or is accessible for anybody.
It was introduced last gen actually. MS is continuing it with current generation. It's a method to allow unsigned apps for testing and debugging purposes. You need to pay a 20 buck one time fee and you'll need reboot to switch modes. When in dev mode, you cannot play commercial software.

if this takes off, and everybody starts buying the $20 dev mode pass, woudn't MS just ban the use of emulators as UWP apps? i have a hard time believing they'd just let everybody do this

You're overestimated the amount of people interested in this this lol. Emulation is still very niche overall.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a bit too good to be allowed for much longer, hope they don't block it somehow. I can see Nintendo or Sony messing with it.

This definitely drives up my interest in an Xbox, as a PS2/GameCube emulation machine though.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Sounds a bit too good to be allowed for much longer, hope they don't block it somehow. I can see Nintendo or Sony messing with it.

This definitely drives up my interest in an Xbox, as a PS2/GameCube emulation machine though.

I doubt MS will remove it, as it's a huge incentive to prevent people from hacking the consoles.

It removes the homebrew argument from hacking a console.

Having an officially, supported way to run unsigned code on a console is pretty cool.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I was going to avoid buying a console but this is great to hear. I run pc moonlight to my tv but there is obviously more latency that way, so this would be a nice little emulation/gamepass box when I feel like jumping back and forth. Perfect for me since i also only have a 1080p tv and don't play a lot of modern games.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Amazing. When Xbox Series is able to play ps1/ps2 games, in addition to all the xbox BC, it will really put sony to shame on that front even further.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice feature but having to switch to a dev mode sounds like a chore. I'd rather relegate my shield to handling emulation.

Doomguy

Apr 20, 2019
Can I connect different controllers on Series S ?

I'm not a fan of xbox controller dpad for retro gaming

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can I connect different controllers on Series S ?

I'm not a fan of xbox controller dpad for retro gaming
This is probably the shittiest part about the Xbox ecosystem. I used to be fine using Xbox dpads for 2d games but after using other older console dpads more in recent years I remember what I'm missing out on. It's also a damn shame that Microsoft partnered with 8bitdo for an amazing branded Xbox controller and it isn't even usable on Xbox, only on Android, PC and other Bluetooth enabled devices.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Why not just get a htpc for emulation box

I have a PC in my living room for gaming and I run emulators on it.

It is however, about 8 times the size of the Series S and the 8 core Zen 2 CPU in it cost more than the entire Series S console.

You're not going to find a PC as tiny as the Series S with an 8 core Zen 2, 512GB SSD and dedicated GPU for £250.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Xbox port of RetroArch support VRR? That's a 100% make-or-break requirement for me to humor using a given piece of hardware for emulation.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

This isn't a new feature, it's been around for years already at this point. It's not going anywhere.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
It was introduced last gen actually. MS is continuing it with current generation. It's a method to allow unsigned apps for testing and debugging purposes. You need to pay a 20 buck one time fee and you'll need reboot to switch modes. When in dev mode, you cannot play commercial software.

You're overestimated the amount of people interested in this this lol. Emulation is still very niche overall.
Thanks for the info. Not for me then.

Doomguy

Apr 20, 2019
This is probably the shittiest part about the Xbox ecosystem. I used to be fine using Xbox dpads for 2d games but after using other older console dpads more in recent years I remember what I'm missing out on. It's also a damn shame that Microsoft partnered with 8bitdo for an amazing branded Xbox controller and it isn't even usable on Xbox, only on Android, PC and other Bluetooth enabled devices.
It's a shame...that's a deal breaker for me. I just thought about the 8btido controller as you mentioned...but why on earth would they prevent using a xbox branded controller on a xbox console.

Maybe someone smart will figure it out a way to use other controllers with developer mode on

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
What is the state of emulation on hacked OG Switches? I know it can do the 16 bit platforms great, but what about beyond that?

May 24, 2019
Just setting mine up now on my Series X. It's telling me the console needs an update to progress, but none are being pulled.
Any ideas?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just setting mine up now on my Series X. It's telling me the console needs an update to progress, but none are being pulled.
Any ideas?
Dev activation will say you need an update, however, your Xbox will not update - THIS IS NORMAL! Don't panic. Now you will be able to go to Console info in settings and press this combination on your controller: LB, RB, LT, RT. Developer settings will then appear. Go there and activate developer mode from there.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame...that's a deal breaker for me. I just thought about the 8btido controller as you mentioned...but why on earth would they prevent using a xbox branded controller on a xbox console.

Maybe someone smart will figure it out a way to use other controllers with developer mode on

Even though the newer Xbox controllers have Bluetooth I believe they still use the proprietary Xbox wireless connection on console right ?

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
No, you just need a free live profile and pay the dev mode activation fee ($20)

Oh, so that's nice. The series s is the only console with a price that i could pay for in my country but I didn't buy at launch because of all the toxicity of the microsoft gaming brand is here in Brasil. But after watching that video it seems that I will end up having to buy it one next year if the price of the PS5 continue out of the reality in here. Will wait for the video about the PS2 emulation on retroarch.

May 24, 2019
Dev activation will say you need an update, however, your Xbox will not update - THIS IS NORMAL! Don't panic. Now you will be able to go to Console info in settings and press this combination on your controller: LB, RB, LT, RT. Developer settings will then appear. Go there and activate developer mode from there.

Cheers. Just found that on a support page. Seems the launcher doesn't work for a bunch of people right now.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you take screenshots/videos with Retroarch? If I can play PS1 games and have that function I would ignore my PS3 ASAP

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need a pc for that to work? I have a MacBook Pro but haven't installed windows and don't plan to.

so if I understand correctly I pay 20 dollars or euros (I'm in Europe) and avcivate Developer mode and can Sideboard the emulator. What happens with the resto of my installed games? If I reboot and disable developer Mode, will the Xbox Games still be there?

thanks Foto the Infos, sounds promising!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need a pc for that to work? I have a MacBook Pro but haven't installed windows and don't plan to.

so if I understand correctly I pay 20 dollars or euros (I'm in Europe) and avcivate Developer mode and can Sideboard the emulator. What happens with the resto of my installed games? If I reboot and disable developer Mode, will the Xbox Games still be there?

thanks Foto the Infos, sounds promising!
You just need a web browser to install it retroarch. So you will be fine.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Can you keep the console in Dev mode and have it function like normal with everything I already have on it? If not, can I toggle back and forth easily?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but why not go for the bigger console, get an even stronger emulation box and the better xbox of the two while you're at it, with double the storage to boot ?

An additional $200 is a big ask at the upfront, but over the next 4~7 years it will be easily the more worthwhile experience. And you can use Xbox All Access to mitigate a big upfront cost.

The CPU difference between the S and X isn't so large that the extra $200 is worth it if you're only planning to use it as an emulation box. It might marginally affect PS2 performance when the PCSX2 core is ported over, but most other consoles are already going to be running near enough to full speed on the S. It has less RAM and a slower GPU, but those actually don't matter too much for emulation since the CPU is doing the bulk of the work.

I have an X so I'll probably play around with dev mode on it, but if I was only going to use it as an emulation box, then the S for a couple hundred bucks less seems like a pretty good deal.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
if this takes off, and everybody starts buying the $20 dev mode pass, woudn't MS just ban the use of emulators as UWP apps? i have a hard time believing they'd just let everybody do this

I seriously doubt they care what you run on it - you don't have any access to the retail side of the console in dev mode and everything is heavily sandboxed (enough that the One still hasn't been cracked, even with dev mode as a potential access vector). Microsoft would have to take away the entire mode, and considering they carried the mode over from the One, that's not going to happen.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but why not go for the bigger console, get an even stronger emulation box and the better xbox of the two while you're at it, with double the storage to boot ?

An additional $200 is a big ask at the upfront, but over the next 4~7 years it will be easily the more worthwhile experience. And you can use Xbox All Access to mitigate a big upfront cost.
I want a small system.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. Unfortunately I suck at using emulators and with a list of like 50 emulators and multiple variations it took me half an hour to even get something to start :p But it did start eventually! Quick and dirty test of Mame Truxton, ran great and no delays in sound or controls.
Not a fan of scrolling through file lists though. Can't you get cover art instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.