• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Always bothered me how "wide" Peter's build is portrayed in the 90's cartoon.
From reading the comics around the same era I felt Spider-man was muscular, but with a much slimmer "agile-looking" build.

Am I alone?

I mean look at this dude:
5-spiderman-1994-peter-parker.jpg

Yeah 90s animated spider-man is not the lithe and agile character from the same era of comics, he's pretty cut. he's fucking massive for someone in his early 20s lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Always bothered me how "wide" Peter's build is portrayed in the 90's cartoon.
From reading the comics around the same era I felt Spider-man was muscular, but with a much slimmer "agile-looking" build.

Am I alone?

I mean look at this dude:
5-spiderman-1994-peter-parker.jpg
Yeah it's incongruous with the physique he had at the time but for a good bit of his existence Pete was a wide lad

Go back to the late 70s-80s

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I grew up on this and the xmen series, and they were both fantastic. as i recall the (amazing) intro was performed by joe perry of aerosmith

SPIDERBLOOD
SPIDERBLOOD
RADIOACTIVESPIDERBLOOD

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This version of Spiderman was so much better than the 20/30 years of Spidey animations prior, it was ridiculous. Even though they were hamstrung by network censors and tight budgets, they tried everything to get as much of the classic comic stories in there as possible. It was awesome back then, despite maybe not holding up now.

BTAS, X-Men and Spiderman all on the same network as a kid back then was just...whew.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Definitely not better than batman, but I would probably put it second. Especially as far exposure to the character goes. I couldn't deal with the older spidey cartoons.

Oct 8, 2019
There's some great parts to it like the Six Forgotten Warriors, the Kingpin, Venom, Secret Wars, Black Cat, Black Cat's washboard abs.

Though I wouldn't put it on par with either Batman and Superman because those are some of the best animated shows of all times.

I enjoyed it well enough during its original run, especially paired with X-Men and the other Marvel animated series of the time, but I can't imagine it's held up nearly as well as some of its contemporaries.

Well its certainly held up better than Iron Man and Fantastic Four. There's also a bunch of comic tv series that weren't good at all.

Kyle Rowley

Game Director, Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I loved this show as a kid. I've never re-watched them as an adult and I'm almost afraid to in-case it ruins my memories. Ditto for Gargoyles.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's awesome. The animation hasn't held up too well but the long-form storytelling does.

It's also what got me into comics. I loved the show so much as a kid and it led to my dad randomly picking up my first comic:

il_570xN.1267290648_sapb.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Even as a kids, it never really clicked with me. I respected it's ambition to continue arcs over seasons buuuuut the actually storytelling and production was pretty terrible.

First, Peter Parker looks like a damn football player! Second, what the hell is going on with the music? It rarely ever fits the mood. Third, the pacing is awful. I remember seeing multiple episodes where the commercial break was just Spider-Man running out of web and almost falling down a building only to easily recover when the break ended.

I'm not gonna call it worthless but it's a C+ show. Good voice acting tho.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Peter's voice in that show is still what I hear whenever I read spiderman comics. -edit- nevermind, everyone's 90s cartoon voice is still what I hear no matter what source I'm reading. Double points if the cartoon voice sounds the same as the videogame version.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This an X-Men were pioneers in seasonal arcs for American cartoons.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looking back at clips, I'm bewildered at the sheer breakneck pace of the show. Like 10 minutes of events got crammed into 3 minuted with barely any room to breathe.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give the Superman TAS props for making Toyman into something credible. Since I never read the comics to see these bizarre characters like him for the first time was offputting. I can't believe a fourth of Superman rogues are total jokes in the worst possible way.

Spiderman otoh doesn't hold up well.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Love the series. It's not as good as Batman The Animated Series, but it does capture classic comic book storytelling in a way very few shows did up to that point. And yes, this is still how I hear Peter to this day. Shoot, I'm fairly certain the voice over directly influenced my own tone; I've had more than one person point out the similarity over the years.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman 1994 and X men were one of the first wester cartoon that tried to break away from self contained episodes and negative continuity, sadly they had zero budget after the first season lol.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I'll give the Superman TAS props for making Toyman into something credible. Since I never read the comics to see these bizarre characters like him for the first time was offputting. I can't believe a fourth of Superman rogues are total jokes in the worst possible way.

This is exactly why I love all the old animated series...gave life to characters that may not have got it otherwise.

Freeze in BTAS was awesome....

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. And Supes/Darkseid conflict was the absolute best

peak comic book cartoon adaptation when stuff was apokolips focused

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Amazing series and it's what got me into Spider-Man and Marvel as a whole. The music is great, the voice actors/actresses are spot on and I love the stories. The guy who voiced Peter Parker in this series also voiced him in a few Spider-Man games years ago.

John Semper Jr. also wrote about what happened to Mary Jane after the finale in a book/script of sorts - very fascinating read!

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Its incredible yes finally someone who is new and who likes this.
I watched this on FOX Kids every time it was on and the entire series is amazing.

All these crossovers and doing stuff like MCU 10 years before their was an MCU last 10 eps are specially fantastic!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The production values are poor, but the writing and content was on point. -7 year old me.

And that's how I still see it today.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The memories I have of this show and walking up every Saturday morning to watch it can never be replaced

Edit: also, I rewatched The Alien Costume saga and greatly enjoyed it... will probably continue this expedition into my childhood

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Love that show, and love how melancholy everything was. Everyone's arc was a tragedy. Peter, Kingpin, Morbius, Kraven, Harry and Norman, Smythe, Brock, MJ -- everyone suffered. And he still always went back to doing the right thing, and being a "true believer." It's the definitive version of Spider-Man in my head.

One of the arcs, especially, was very emotional. Was it Sins of the Fathers? It was like a 6 episode run or something.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
by default it's a pretty close second to Spectacular in terms of Spider-Man shows since the rest suck

If Spectacular had a full run it would eclipse Batman The Animated series IMO

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I know it not great, but I did enjoy this and X-Men back in the day. I imagine they wouldn't hold up as well compare to Batman or Gargoyles which are still solid shows. Shame Spiderman never got a video on Youtube like these two classics for X-Men.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The constantly slashed budget and ongoing executive meddling make it amazing that it came out as good as it did. I can only imagine how good it could've turned out if it wasn't for that nonsense.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Haven't seen it since I was a kid but I loved this series! Blade, X-men and of course the black symbiote were some episodes that stuck with me

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I remember it as a great show - DareDevil was also in it, right? And did Spider-Man mutate into a Spider with 6 arms somewhere along the way?

The action figures were also absolutely fantastic for this show!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This, the Xmen, Batman, and Superman, etc animated series from that era were what defined comic book characters for me growing up.