• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Tetris 99's 2.1.0 is available today.

MKG_T99_Event10_ENG.jpg

In Team Battle Mode, players choose their favorite of four teams at the start of each game. Some teams may end up with many more members, but smaller teams receive a boost in attack power when being attacked, adding an unexpected element to each match. As players get eliminated through the course of battle, the final team standing with at least one player remaining wins. And even better, all members of the winning team can share in the victory! Players who are K.O.'d early in the game will go into spectator mode and can send "Likes" to cheer on their teammates. Players will want to stick around until their team has obtained a rank to receive their XP points. Or, if Team Battle is the active mode for a MAXIMUS CUP event, stay for their event points.

Additional features available in the update include new button configuration options and new user emblems, as well as the option to redeem 30 in-game tickets for some of the elusive Special Themes that were featured during earlier events. The following in-game Special Themes, which were inspired by games and favorite franchises, are now available: Tetris® from the original Game Boy™ game, Splatoon™, Fire Emblem™: Three Houses and Super Kirby Clash™.

The addition of Team Battle Mode also brings a new twist to the Tetris 99 10th MAXIMUS CUP, which runs from 11 p.m. PT on Dec. 12 to 10:59 p.m. PT on Dec. 16. The Tetris 99 10th MAXIMUS CUP will be available to all Nintendo Switch Online members* and will take full advantage of the new Team Battle Mode. Points will be awarded based on placements during each match, and at the end of the event the top 999 players will each win 999 Gold Points** that can be used to help purchase games in Nintendo eShop.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Adding in the past maximus game themes for 30 tickets is nice, a lot of people who missed a theme will be happy about that.

Maybe with the team mode I can technically win a match now. lol

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Heck yeah. I missed the Luigi theme so this is awesome news. It's awesome to see how much they've fleshed this game out. Two years in a row with great Tetris games, love it.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Oh fuck yeah. I was so sad I'd missed out on the Fire Emblem theme.

Team Battle sounds fun as well. Might be a good mode to shake things up with from time to time.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As a subpar Tetris player who hasn't been able to stop playing Tetris 99 since grabbing NSO if Team Battle allows me to taste victory I'll be playing it a lot.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
To be clearer because I forgot on the title (been reported). Tetris Maximus is on that date. Redeeming the previous event only themes is not time-limited.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn 30 tickets is a lot. Glad I was available during the events to get them for free. It takes long enough as it is without buying the block pass to get enough tickets for any new theme

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm in for this one with team battle! Also got my first first place the other month too

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't have tickets :( will I only be able to purchase the missing themes during those days?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So the Pokémon theme isn't yet actually purchasable? Interesting

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited about being able to get the themes I've missed, but the only one I've actually missed is the Pokemon one

I've been defeated

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
That's a great update! I like the password feature to get my friends into the same games as me, too.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Team Battle is pretty dope. Of course I am the last man standing for my team and no one gave me any likes, though. I guess people don't even realize that's a thing yet. lol

The new achievements for player icons are all team related.

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just got my very first Tetris Maximus due to Team Battle.

I wasn't the last man standing, but it's very nice to see it flash in my screen at least once

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on the new competition this weekend outside the US? Particularly what the rules are for Australia this time.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So I have all the themes unlocked, and all the event themes.
What can I do with my 250 tickets left?

I prefer the gold point events, last time I used them to unlock the bick block DLC.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeeeeeahhhhhh. I've been constantly grumpy that I missed the very first Gameboy theme. Time to grind some tickets!

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
weird that playing team battle doesn't count toward the two daily tickets you can earn through online play. it's a dang online mode, is it not?

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
weird that playing team battle doesn't count toward the two daily tickets you can earn through online play. it's a dang online mode, is it not?

You can earn 4 tickets per day. 2 from the online Tetris 99 Battle and two from the offline modes (part of the DLC) CPU battle and Marathon.
The online Team battle mode is not intended for Tickets as well as the other offline modes.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the top guideline tetris players making use of the new teams and password set up to play 1 vs 98. Of course if you're fast enough it's not too unfair because you get to send a lot of line with everyone targetting you but it's still fun to see.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I like this team battle Maximus Cup. Points are awarded solely on your team's place, and you must wait until the match finishes to get your points.

This is one of the top guideline tetris players making use of the new teams and password set up to play 1 vs 98. Of course if you're fast enough it's not too unfair because you get to send a lot of line with everyone targetting you but it's still fun to see.

Crazy stuff!

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the concept of these team battles, but I really wish it wasn't so easy for one colour to be so lopsided with 30+ against the others.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Event-only themes redeemable."

YES! YES!

Can't wait for the rest of them to show up!

EDIT: Team Battles suck.

Last edited:

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. I really hope a 1000 points will be enough, because I am done playing games where it ends up 18 vs 1 all because everyone else wanted Red or Yellow.

A random selection of colour rather than picking or auto-balance would solve that so easily.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. I really hope a 1000 points will be enough, because I am done playing games where it ends up 18 vs 1 all because everyone else wanted Red or Yellow.

A random selection of colour rather than picking or auto-balance would solve that so easily.
I hate this competition. I didn't get too much time to play over the weekend and only ended with about 1400 points. I doubt that's enough to win this time.

Someone with too much time and not much skill can just join matches all weekend, racking up thousands of points from team wins. I've spectated some players that looked like they didn't really care what they were doing, just filling up the playing area.

I can't believe they didn't use a combination of player rank and team rank to determine the points.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I wonder if someone got in a match with a team with 50 people. Closest I got was like 42 blues.
I really hope they make it more "25vs25vs25vs25" in future cups.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. If you're halfway decent, you can win/unlock the themes during an event in under an hour.

Meanwhile, they only give you the opportunity to earn four tickets a day and that take 20-30 mins on average. That is hours more effort/time.
Yeah... if you missed the event, you gotta work for it. It makes sense that event themes cost more tickets than the regular ones. Otherwise, put in that <1 hour during the event. Easy.