• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
'Literally' gets under my skin. I'm old and ESL. Misuse basically (literally?) made the word meaningless.

'Females' as a noun in any context outside of biology rubs me the wrong way too.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the usage of "impact" over "influence" or "effect." Even worse, a "positive impact." In what situation is something colliding with another thing good? Impact has a physical, vaguely violent feel to it whereas influence and effect are specifically for the usage being discussed.

Also, "game plan" being used for things that aren't a game. Makes one seem like they aren't taking potentially serious things as they should.

Usage of "war" as in "the war on Christmas" or "the war on poverty." Once again, the language is violent in nature and it's used to pit people against each other, often over things that don't matter (war on Christmas) or to shift blame. Apparently all we (Americans) can do is fight wars. How about being more tactful? Unfortunately I guess it keeps eyes on TVs and links being clicked.

This probably doesn't apply to most but in a few of my university courses the professor would write PLOA on the board for "Plan of Attack" as in how the lesson was going to be approached. Ignoring the nonsensical capital L for a moment, I certainly hope there's no attacking going on.

So many common English sayings are either alluding to violence or are terms directly taken from things like the military and fighting. It's uncivil, unpleasant, and not compassionate in my opinion.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once I saw a movie where I was chilling with some pals while we reflected on things. I'd just finished telling my gal that it wasn't her, it was me, when she said she'd been planning to cancel me anyway. I figured it was time to show off my GOAT best hype and trash the three months we'd been together a bit.

Welp, that turned out to be problematic. When I was done she blew me off with a chef's kiss motion, said she could care less about what I thought and ultimately it is what it is.

That burned my biscuits. I said "What about when you dated Rodney? Were you happier then?" But she said that was whataboutism. I tried shipping us back together, but much like when the Seattle Mariners played last season and we sucked on ice, she wasn't having it.

Then I had an idea. "Hot take," I said, "why don't we share some popcorn or pizza pie and wash it down with some Coke?" She called me a bootlicker for the soda corporations and said she'd never set foot in my man cave again. :(

It was an overrated flick anyway. Long story short all I have left is my growth hacking strategies biz. Yikes. What a hill I chose to die on.

Which I suppose is my answer.

moist

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is "arse" just ass said with the posh "a" or did it evolve the other way round?
The original word in some archaic Germanic language (from which English stems) is closer to 'arse'.

Ass is a newer American development innit

I have a northern english accent, so 'arse' does not sound any more posh thank 'ass' to me.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
"It is what it is" is stupid.
HOLLOWAY_MAX_BELT.png

I know ERA wont get this joke but I'm posting this anyway.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That dumb way that streamers scream "LET'S GOOOOO" or "LET'S GO BOYS"

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Soulsborne
It's just Souls or Souls-like.
Stop that shit.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike "content". I feel it devalues creative work and makes it sound like some kind of stuffing made just to fill out space. It might be appropriate to describe the simplest, most low effort kind of youtube videos, but if I see it used to describe anything other than that I get a sinking feeling in my stomach.
I'm with you on this one. It's another example of marketing speak filtering into the common vernacular.

I'm not even sure why people use it for YouTube videos. "I enjoy his content." You mean his videos? Why not just say that?

Particularly as it's often coupled with "consuming", which brings to my mind an animal mindlessly devouring food. As an analogy, I guess that image goes well with reducing creative work to "content" to be endlessly absorbed rather than enjoyed and discussed. There are people who watch movies at 2x because their goal is to "consume" it rather than actually pay attention to it.

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shlooter is a term that bothers me. I love it.

Also "/s" can go to hell. Say what you really mean asshole.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smart arse forum terms.

I've also started seeing "fatecious" or however it's spelt after Jim Sterling used it in a couple of episodes.

I agree we shouldn't speak like chavs but let's not pretend we are part of the royal family.

"As a consumer..."

"It's almost as if..."

"So you're telling me..."

Or what about drive by postings? The ones that appear every time there is a scandal like

"The fuck?"

"Fuck out of here with that shit"

"What is you doing?"

It adds nothing, it's just spamming a topic with useless bullshit and it's why I seldom read the first page. I know the actual discussion starts a couple of pages in. It's why I wish I could just like a post, maybe then we just get one driveby "The fuck" comment and everyone else who wants to do a drive by can just like that post instead and we get to the real meat of the discussion few posts in.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Buddy.

I just talked to you, I'm not your buddy. Even my friends don't call me buddy

Yo.
I don't like this. It makes me feel like they use this word only because I'm a minority. I usually reply back with a hey or hi.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Most memes and stuff like King and queen and other cringe "internet slang".

But specifically, I would say the terms associated with "mommy blogger". That whole thing is just weird and no mothers I know talk like that. Crosses over with baby talk and things like bubba, dadda and such being used in serious conversation.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
"You do realize that..."

If you're gonna be condescending, at least be original about it. Also, Era has beaten "living rent free in person's head" to the ground.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Seeing a lot of people use loose instead of lose lately.

Makes you think they must have a rogue spell checker and they've typed out loose in sex texts too much it changes it to it without them noticing.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
"Yikes"

When people just drop it without explaining anything else on why they feel that way.
Isn't it usually used to indicate that something is so bad that it doesn't require an explanation as to why it is bad. Like someone stating a blatantly racist opinion.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
"Mythos": anyone whom draws this one out trying to elevate whatever insipidly nerdy property they're into can miss me with their absurd self-importance.

"End him/her/them": "Kill" is the word you're looking for, you resolutely-banal scriptwriters.

"Showing your ass": just a very stupid and lame way of saying "embarrassing yourself". One of those schoolyard phrases which exports the worst to everyday vernacular.

"YAAAASSS QUEEN! SLAY!!!" and other rpdr/drag terminology, especially when people use it in response to Trans folk.
This one gets on my nerves, too.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Mansplaining, a new favourite word for sexist people.

I mean, this can be used maliciously, but what it's actually referring to is certainly a real behaviour. It's not inherently sexist.

" bespoke"

One, this word is creepy on its own. Two, it really makes you seem like you belong in Eyes Wide Shut if you use it. I see this everywhere now, go away, the term "custom" is available. Unless you want to look like a rich pedophile creep, stop using it.

This is a really odd one. It's a perfectly valid term to use, I have no idea where you're pulling "rich people, pedophile creep" from. What a bizarre and strong reaction to a regular word.

OT: I've always disliked "yikes" but I can deal with most internet slang tbh.

One that has always got to me for some reason is the term "cynical tackle" in football. It never made sense with my understanding of what 'cynical' meant but apparently it has an additional definition that makes it make sense

Google said:
1.Believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
"he was brutally cynical and hardened to every sob story under the sun"

2. Concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted standards in order to achieve them.
"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

The rest of mine are all just pedantic grammar things like "could care less" or the hateful "must of" instead of "must've". We're all just miserable pedants.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I mean, this can be used maliciously, but what it's actually referring to is certainly a real behaviour. It's not inherently sexist.

I think the problem is that it is starting to be incorrectly applied to any situation in which a man explains something to a woman.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
When people say a piece of media is "off." It's such a nothing criticism that says nothing about why you actually dislike something.

"I mean..." just sounds patronising no matter what the actual intent is.

"Low-key" feels like a weird attempt not to commit to having an actual opinion.

Calling every mediocre piece of entertainment "trash." A 5/10 movie is not "trash."

"Hot take" is often used incorrectly for people simply stating unpopular opinions. Also often used flippantly to dismiss people with left-field opinions as inflammatory trolls.

The resurgence of "yikes" is really weird. As a kid this just felt like really old-timer language that only my grandparents would use and yet it's come back for some reason. Whenever someone says it I just feel like they're acting performatively shocked by something.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
HOLLOWAY_MAX_BELT.png

I know ERA wont get this joke but I'm posting this anyway.

Know that at least one person here understands the reference and it's a good one at that.

The bothersome term that I've read a lot recently online and have even heard spoken quite often is "oof." I am not sure why it bothers me so much but it does. In my head that is a sound effect that belongs in a comic panel not daily conversation.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Low-key" feels like a weird attempt not to commit to having an actual opinion.

I've seen "low key" used in so many, seemingly conflicting contexts that I've honestly got no idea what it actually means.

"I was low key impressed by that". What does that sentence actually mean?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be "I was impressed by that but don't really want to make a big deal out of it"?

But even then I'm not sure exactly what that means. Like "X is lowkey the best song of the year". What does "low key" do to modify that sentence? It just seems like a meaningless filler word to me, making its somewhat recent popularity spike even more grating.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I write this in every thread of this kind.. If you use "should/could of" you are a trash person to me. Stop it, it makes you look stupid as hell.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"What a hill to die on"

Not every discussion is a battle to the death nor every opinion meant as a martyr's statement. Loosen the fuck up.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Corporate apologist" is another one. I remember getting called a corporate apologist for trying to explain to someone why online gaming subscriptions like Xbox Live or PS+ won't be going away any time soon.
"Anti consumer" for similar reasons. Two phrases that have lost all meaning because people just throw them out willy nilly.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
'Literally' gets under my skin. I'm old and ESL. Misuse basically (literally?) made the word meaningless.

Sorry, man, but I think I have to let you in on this one.

Whenever people write they're "dead" because they find something remotely funny, they're not actually writing from their grave.

Also, when people say they're "fucking sleepy" or someone's "fucking funny", no one's having sex with the seven dwarfs.

I know this might be hard. Take a deep breath, ask for a week off of work, and allow that to sink in.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Conversely, a couple of ridiculous phrases I absolutely love and will drop into conversations whenever I can:

"In point of fact": perhaps the quintessential meaningless "academic" phrase. Apparently, the swellheads who unzip this one find "in fact" too inadequate. Absolutely perfect for making yourself sound like the unwelcome afterbirth of dear old Oxford's graduating class. (No offense intended to Oxford alumni.) Tailor-made for laughs at your expense, especially when delivered in a stilted, "elevated" style.

"Get on the horn": hilarious in an entirely different way. Let's face it, "get on the phone" is boring as hell to hear in spoken convo. I can't resist sprucing up a mundane exchange with this phrase which evokes the priceless image of someone speaking into an animal's bony protuberance. (Note: this one only tends to bring the funny if you aren't a Western ranch-type, in which case it merely seems organic vernacular.)

EDIT - bonus phrase endemic to romance novels:
"Rod of love".
Never fails to send me into paroxysms of laughter. Although I have to be more prudent about when and where I drop this one.

When the husband says 'we are pregnant'. No you're not. Your wife is pregnant. Stop saying illogical shit. If you really want to say something, say 'we are expecting'.
Haha, this one always got my goat, as well.

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I thought of something else...especially Americans are guilty of this.

Using 'we' in military situation.
"we took over that city"
"we used that big bomb"
"our strategy was better there"
"we won this battle"

YOU most likely did nothing and this isn't a fucking sports event we're talking about.

I hate this so much because it glances over the fact that this is war. A complex conflict with suffering and death at every turn and this kind of rhetoric simplifies it to a simple us vs. them rivalry.
... Which is obviously why this kind of speech is taught and spread in the first place.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes.
Not a good look
Is this the hill you want to die on?
Tell us how you really feel.
Go on..
Do better.

These all give me cold goose bumps, brr.