• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Hm I thought the idea with the childrens memory is that what you remember change over time, and how you remember things can be influenced by what makes sense to you at that time. Basically, humans tend to rationalise the bad parts (your own bad behaviour or other unpleasant thoughts) from our memories in order to be able to live with them. We compartmentalise events into memories that make sense to each of us on our own terms. And thats why I thought the kids were remembering something their own way that makes sense for them, but those arent the real facts of what happened that night. Which is what the narrative is building up - to get the adult, or real, version of what happened.

And thats probably going to be a bit more mundane of an affair than the layer of supernaturality leads you to believe.

Oct 28, 2017
yeah you're probably right.

also my little theory is that

maybe Alyson didn't kill the mother,because we actually have not seen the stabbing move.
Yeah, for some reason they have been thinking that they did this or that, but thats the goblin fairytale story of it and whatever they thought they did just happened to run into the trajectory that their mom was on with the issue with who their father is. Mommy didnt want to kill Tyler because he cut his hair, some other shit just happened at the same time. Time will tell, Id rather it be this than some kind of magic spell being lifted or something.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I hope this game gets updated with some form of ray traced global illumination post Xbox Series X's launch. If done well it would do wonders for a number of interior and exterior locations.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my theory:

Mary Ann said "I'm going to kill you" to the Mad Hunter, aka Tom or Alexander. Alyson didn't see him, so she thought Mary Ann was trying to hurt Tyler. What doesn't make sense is how the kids didn't realize this. But I'm wondering if I am onto something...

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Finished chapter 2. Kinda disappointing. I liked the first chapter but the story is going off into places I don't find very interesting and the pacing is too slack to maintain suspense.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I enjoyed this second episode more than the first, a lot of fun scenes and I really enjoyed all of the character interactions.
Only real downside for me was the whole archives section in the police station. It dragged on after a while and I swear one of the boxes felt impossible to find. I eventually found it by guessing.

Also, I've been wondering where the father fit in all of this. I'm curious to see what will happen with that.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I think I enjoyed this second episode more than the first, a lot of fun scenes and I really enjoyed all of the character interactions.
Only real downside for me was the whole archives section in the police station. It dragged on after a while and I swear one of the boxes felt impossible to find. I eventually found it by guessing.

Also, I've been wondering where the father fit in all of this. I'm curious to see what will happen with that.

I enjoyed EP 2 more and the part you're talking about is a big reason why.

The snooping has always seemed fun as someone who has only watched people play these games and I thought it felt really exciting. Nothing was too tough to find and using the tags to find a hidden tape was cool too.

Also, Tessa is terrible and the fuse box color matching was a missed opportunity. They were the same colors, match them to the xbox controller button prompts!

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
As this isn't a Life is Strange game I wish they'd dropped the powers.
It feels more and more like powers are here because it's a Dontnod game rather than because they really serve the narrative. I personally would've found this story in particular just as compelling (if not more so) without them.

I don't think it's possible to top time manipulation as both a narrative conceit and gameplay mechanic and I'm at the point where I find them immersion breaking, which is probably on account of how good these games are now in terms of visuals and performances.
BtS showed they can still do Dontnod without them and I think I preferred it that way.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
But the "powers" serve the narrative here.

at least the memories sharing thing

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the 2nd episode. I think I liked it even more than the first; really digging the small twists and turns. I also felt like there was more interaction points this time around.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
But the "powers" serve the narrative here.

at least the memories sharing thing
True.
I feel the themes we're working with: transition, isolation, identity, belonging, loss, sibling bonds, family tragedy, etc are strong enough tenets to tell a really affecting/powerful story... but then you add powers and memory manipulation and it all becomes very hokey. For me at least, this is just personal taste I suppose... I felt the same way with LiS2 too.

Like an examination on the meaning of memory and how they form and differ depending on perspective is extremely interesting (the film the game references Rashomon is a great look at this) but 'powers' is the least interesting course to take on such a subject and ironically robs the concept of its power.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Opening sequence to Chapter 2 is why I love these Dontnod games so much. Expertly done.

Fatal Error crash about an hour in, and I lost about 15~20 minutes of progress. That I didn't love so much. LOL

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many endings this will have. I'm inclined to think only two at most, with less significant choices being reflected in both where applicable. Then again, it's hard to tell what will transpire in the finale. The overarching objective has been the twins trying to sell the house and Alyson trying to keep Tyler in her life.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Look at how the choices and consequences are framed. When it's a choice that affects their bond, it's usually framed as how Tyler feels affected by the choice. By default, Tyler is aiming to put his degree to use and become a park ranger at Denali. He's not 100% sure but that's his natural inclination. Meanwhile Alyson in both episodes has been explicitly and more subtlety trying to convince Tyler move to Juneau with her and Michael.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Just finished episode 1. Really like what i played of it. I'll finish episode 2 tomorro. I feel like the fact this game was removed from the Russian Xbox store should be a bigger story.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Woo i saw an episode 2 playthrough where

Sam didn't give Tyler a knife as a gift
This doesn't change the tree scene,Tyler has still a knife,but it's probably his own knife in this case :D

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Woo i saw an episode 2 playthrough where

Sam didn't give Tyler a knife as a gift
This doesn't change the tree scene,Tyler has still a knife,but it's probably his own knife in this case :D
Oh, that's what happened in my save. No idea what would affect that.

I re-played the police station scene in Episode 1 because I missed the bench scene. I was rushing through it, and forgot to put Dee's key back in her drawer. In Episode 2 Alyson gives it back to her saying she found it in the parking lot. Dee doesn't believe her, but isn't mad and says she'll let it slide.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's what happened in my save. No idea what would affect that.

I re-played the police station scene in Episode 1 because I missed the bench scene. I was rushing through it, and forgot to put Dee's key back in her drawer. In Episode 2 Alyson gives it back to her saying she found it in the parking lot. Dee doesn't believe her, but isn't mad and says she'll let it slide.

I wonder if it's the
Won Sam's respect choice from the Episode 1?

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finished chapter 2 today (after a break to finish up life is strange 2). Didn't like it as much as the 1st but still into it. Real middle chapter vibes. Great stuff over all.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I played episode 2 this morning and I can't stop thinking about Tyler talking about childhood pictures making him uncomfortable, even though they're of happy times. It's a small scene, but it's amazing seeing something I can relate to in a MS published game on game pass.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I played episode 2 this morning and I can't stop thinking about Tyler talking about childhood pictures making him uncomfortable, even though they're of happy times. It's a small scene, but it's amazing seeing something I can relate to in a MS published game on game pass.
That whole sequence almost brought a tear to my eye, especially due to Allyson being so supportive.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
This week, Hailey and Charlie interview Tell Me Why developers Clay Carmouche (Narrative Director, Xbox) and Morgan Lockhart (Lead Writer, Dontnod).:

joy.org.au

Intimates: Tell Me Why Interview | Checkpoint

Checkpoint Intimates is a weekly podcast where two members of the team go one-on-one on a topic; this week, _

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017

Great, thanks! A bit disappointed when I woke up and there was nothing there.

Anyway, just got through the first episodes after finishing Life is Strange. What an emotional experience, I don't think any movie or game has caught me like that ever. Really looking forward to see where this story goes, it's been great so far, and I can tell that this is going to break my heart again.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Played Episode 2 two days ago and found it a little slow in the middle, but the more I think about all the little ways some new information was conveyed, the more I like it.

I HATED Eddy(?, the cop) and his behaviour and I'm not quite sure if it's because they wanted him to be this way or the voice acting fell really short. Based on the comparison with other players I was very much in the minority with not forgiving him but his "I did the right thing FOR YOU and didn't tell you/lied to you because you're too stupid and I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU" really pissed me off. Same but kinda different thing with Tessa, I didn't forgive her, the majority of people did but she instantly told Tyler that she doesn't accept him so... huh.

Regarding the ending.. Interesting which way they will go with this. Do we get some supernatural/magic stuff like LiS 1 with a big climax or will it be more like BtS with a "normal" conclusion? I also LOVE the design of the Mad Hunter. Such a cool character.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone able to download Chapter 3? When I tried it earlier it says it will be released today. Now when I try it I'm getting this:

HdLOmRZ.png

Hopefully that is not accurate and it is just a bug with the shitty Xbox app and Windows Store. I also had to download the game again after completing Chapter 2 because the Store said it needed repair? WTF?

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Is anyone able to download Chapter 3? When I tried it earlier it says it will be released today. Now when I try it I'm getting this:

HdLOmRZ.png

Hopefully that is not accurate and it is just a bug with the shitty Xbox app and Windows Store. I also had to download the game again after completing Chapter 2 because the Store said it needed repair? WTF?
Should be out in an hour and 12 minutes

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Erk - the puzzles in the
loft
are incredibly annoying. I know how to solve them, but the icons are pretty much indecipherable in places.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
The release map says it should be out in my country but it still isn't?

edit: OK it's not in the store yet but spamming the a button on continue eventually took me to a link to the episode instead of saying it's out Jan 1st