• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Are there literally no PC graphical settings!? The fuck!?
there is? you hae to scroll all the way down for graphics setting

MHJvztn.png

EpgsNm7.png

its mostly toggles though.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure there but myself and another poster here who ordered a PS5 copy haven't received our codes. That and for some reason the PS4 copies got the reversible cover while PS5 copies did not makes me think something is wrong. I could be really overthinking this though.
My UK ps5 copy had a reverse cover, guessing this is for the American version?

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
There are few people I hate more than those that post the ending of a newly released story-driven game on YouTube and then use SPOILER THUMBNAILS.

At this point you can't even safely look up video reviews of the game on YouTube anymore. Just... don't search it on YouTube at all. Do yourselves the favor.

Ugh so annoyed.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
There are few people I hate more than those that post the ending of a newly released story-driven game on YouTube and then use SPOILER THUMBNAILS.

At this point you can't even safely look up video reviews of the game on YouTube anymore. Just... don't search it on YouTube at all. Do yourselves the favor.

Ugh so annoyed.
That's bad, but what is even worse is all the videos that have huge spoilers in the thumbnail. Thanks to them I already know some significant plot developments and who are the guest cameo characters this time. Youtube really needs an spoiler filter.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing more today and I've been totally absorbed by the game. Had to take a break for a bit, but I want to play again while I've got some free time.

So far I don't feel the enemies are that spongy. I've been playing on Normal though, maybe on higher difficulties they increase the HP a lot. So far it's been pretty standard for this type of game. The first Lord boss battle seemed to go at just the right length and didn't overstay its welcome. It wasn't hard either though.

The game hasn't been difficult on Normal, but there are moments when enemies can wipe you if you're not careful. I died once to the gargoyles in the cave on the way to Cyslodia because I wasn't paying attention in that fight. But so far it's been very doable. I've been adapting pretty easily to the battle system, but I've played a number of Tales games before, so I think just beyond the initial moment of adjusting to the new systems, it all falls into place.

Theoretically, I wouldn't mind bumping up the difficulty, but if all they're doing is making enemies spongier, then I'm good.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
That's bad, but what is even worse is all the videos that have huge spoilers in the thumbnail. Thanks to them I already know some significant plot developments and who are the guest cameo characters this time. Youtube really needs an spoiler filter.

Those are the ones I was talking about. I am fine if they post the ending, I can just choose not to click on it. But these people post the ending with spoiler thumbnails so...

And yes I also know the guest camei characters for the exact same reason

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I've been playing for a few hours (just completed the first area) and I'm loving this game.

Music is good, combat is fun, story so far is interesting (but I'll wait until I play more to share my opinion on this one), wide areas are fun to explore and the game looks amazing.

UE has become the engine to use for all big JRPGs on the past years, and ToA is the one that looks the best by far, the combination of good tech and amazing art and use of filters is simply gorgeous.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Any word on what version has better performance?
Well, on PS5 the LOD is super aggressive.
Like you will constantly see plants and even entire rock walls change shape from 10 feet away.

Super disappointing. Hope they patch it quick because it's inexcusable on PS5.

Also the load time exiting an inn gets to be uncomfortably long.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
If you go into the settings, you can crank up the two camera correction settings in battle to alleviate that. I have no idea why it doesn't just do that by default, but I guess they're still trying to compensate for Zestiria's garbage camera by giving as much control of it as possible to the player.

unknown.png

Hah. Lohikeitto is a Finnish salmon soup. Unexpected... nod? Reference?

Enemies like to change targets all the time so you can't really focus on just one, which is why I would imagine they let you control the camera freely even when locked on. But there's two "battle camera correction" options in the settings, I raised those to max and it feels pretty much like a regular lock on to me now. Worth giving a try.
Thanks, will do.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, bosses jump in difficulty is offsetting. I am playing on Hard and bringing it down to moderate on the bosses. But wondering if the entire experience would just be better on moderate…..

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Which artes are people using.
Like you will constantly see plants and even entire rock walls change shape from 10 feet away.

LOD is about the same on pc. even affecting NPCs too

Yea, bosses jump in difficulty is offsetting. I am playing on Hard and bringing it down to moderate on the bosses. But wondering if the entire experience would just be better on moderate…..

lol. i went in on the first boss at lvl 8.
but during that time i was just inting. but i learned to do perfect dodge during it lol.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I have been playing on Moderate and so far the game has been easy, I defeated the first main boss (big axe guy) easily. It's true that the boss hits really hard, but what the game expects you to do is to dodge him and only attack when he finishes some animation, trying to break his guard is hard and most of the times it only serves to receive a huge hit. When you learn his limited moveset it shouldn't be hard.

And the new boss Astral Artes that can be easily avoided (at least during the first bossfight) are one of the best changes to the combat.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man, what an annoying boss I just had to deal with. Small spell casting respawning ads are absolutely obnoxious cuz, sure, Rinwell can interrupt them, but it takes about as long to wait for it to recharge as it is to wait for heat death of the universe, so most of the time I have to dodge conventionally and the particular spell they spam is actually quite hard to avoid.

I also continue to not be sold o the new way bosses are. it's like I am suddenly playing a different game as soon as I run into one, and I wanna play tales when I play tales, thank you very much.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Man, what an annoying boss I just had to deal with. Small spell casting respawning ads are absolutely obnoxious cuz, sure, Rinwell can interrupt them, but it takes about as long to wait for it to recharge as it is to wait for heat death of the universe, so most of the time I have to dodge conventionally and the particular spell they spam is actually quite hard to avoid.

I also continue to not be sold o the new way bosses are. it's like I am suddenly playing a different game as soon as I run into one, and I wanna play tales when I play tales, thank you very much.

I'm assuming you're talking about the one I just beat. The one in the sewers?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
also you can probably look when to dodge. some (all?) monsters eyes glow when they area bout to attack. so you be ready to dodge then

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see Tales is keeping their localization traditions of arte names not matching what the character yells (maybe it's the same in Japanese, no clue). Scarlet Outburst while Alphen yells Scarlet Inferno.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
The demo threw too much stuff at you so I didn't notice, but when there are only two characters the boost attack auto teleport is a little jarring at times, such as when you see shionne across the screen and then she teleports next to you. On the flip side, I guess you could use it as an escape tool too for characters you are not controlling.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

They're not going to patch that.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really dislike about this game is that even when you select a party leader the game always defaults to Alphen at the start of the combat, and from there on its a two button process to switch playable party member...which you have to do every time. Due to this I rarely ever bother playing anyone but Alphen in combat. (EDIT: I found a way to permanently do this)

Also would've been nice to see your party during exploration rather than the old school way of just having one person on screen and others invisible, eventhough they talk to each other all the time.

This is the opposite problem from what I had in FFVII, where changing party leader didn't change who you control during exploration but it did instantly switch to that member automatically at the start of the battle.

Last edited:

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
One thing I really dislike about this game is that even when you select a party leader the game always defaults to Alphen at the start of the combat, and from there on its a two button process to switch playable party member...which you have to do every time. Due to this I rarely ever bother playing anyone but Alphen in combat.

Also would've been nice to see your party during exploration rather than the old school way of just having one person on screen and others invisible, eventhough they talk to each other all the time.

This is the opposite problem from what I had in FFVII, where changing party leader didn't change who you control during exploration but it did instantly switch to that member automatically at the start of the battle.
I haven't tried myself yet but usually in Tales selecting a party leader only changes who you control in the field. You need to change party order and move your main character to the first place to make them the default playable character in battle.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

On PC you can mitigate most of it but NPC pop in seems to be the same regardless of what modifications you make to the relevant config files. As if it's hard coded to the renderer. I doubt they are going to patch it, especially co sidering it's not really a "problem".

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried myself yet but usually in Tales selecting a party leader only changes who you control in the field. You need to change party order and move your main character to the first place to make them the default playable character in battle.
The problem is, there's no way to change battle party order outside of combat. And you have to do it in combat every single time you begin a combat as it always defaults to Alphen.

Edit' Scratch that, I found a way to change the order permanently. The way it's done is really poor.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, yeah, just fought the sewer boss too. What a fucking annoying asshole lol. I actually think the adds were fine (even if the water spell they throw is really annoying), it was really the boss itself that I had issues with. Some of its attacks were so fast that if you were in the middle of an arte or an attack you'd have no chance in hell to dodge them, and very few of the attacks were really telegraphed at all. The jump-and-crush was the main offender.

Still, it's dead, I'm not.

I draw stuff! But I didn't know who to draw and drew the main case. Enjoy!

My Insta has zoomies if you're into that

That is damn good.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I just fought some normal mobs in the third region and out of the blue a fucking
Dragon
joined the fight. Didn't know this could happen. Of course it wrecked me. If i wasn't constantly short on items i could have beaten it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Any PC mods or .ini modification to make the game looks better? Like draw distance and so on?

also should i use the special title you get with costumes or would that make the game too easy to unlock them at the beginning already?

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Never played a Tales game but I thought the demo was fantastic. Ordered a copy for PS4 and am expecting delivery tomorrow.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Any PC mods or .ini modification to make the game looks better? Like draw distance and so on?

also should i use the special title you get with costumes or would that make the game too easy to unlock them at the beginning already?

Code:
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=4
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.001
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
foliage.DensityScale=10
grass.DensityScale=10
foliage.LODDistanceScale=10
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=5.0
r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=3
r.LandscapeLOD0DistributionScale=3
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=2
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2048
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=2048
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.001
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=6.0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.0
r.MotionBlurQuality=4
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=4.0
There's no setting to change NPC draw distance unfortunately, but this will make it so that pop ins are gone and shadow draw distance happens a lot further away.

The last one will cause a lot of particle effects in snow areas, and may make things hard to see in a blizzard, but I think it's great cause the characters say they can't see anything, but if you turn it off the "blizzard" in default is basically how snow normally with setting at 4.0 in normal area. A comparison between default and the setting above.
Arise-Screenshot-2021-09-11-11-19-27-30.png
Arise-Screenshot-2021-09-11-01-35-01-40.png

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
did berseria have this level of fast travel? i forget but it's really nice to use

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Code:
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=4
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.001
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
foliage.DensityScale=10
grass.DensityScale=10
foliage.LODDistanceScale=10
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=5.0
r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=3
r.LandscapeLOD0DistributionScale=3
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=2
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2048
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=2048
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.001
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=6.0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.0
r.MotionBlurQuality=4
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=4.0

The last one will cause a lot of particle effects in snow areas, and may make things hard to see in a blizzard, but I think it's great cause the characters say they can't see anything, but if you turn it off the "blizzard" in default is basically how snow normally with setting at 4.0 in normal area.

There's no setting to change NPC draw distance unfortunately, but this will make it so that pop ins are gone and shadow draw distance happens a lot further away.

thanks, which file do i need to put these line in though? Do i need to create one? If so where do i put it?

Also, If i don't want motion blur and so on, i should put it on 0 right? Or is that object motion blur and i should keep it as is?

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
did berseria have this level of fast travel? i forget but it's really nice to use
In Berseria, you had to use a consumable to fast travel and the amount of places you could go was pretty limited, but it wasn't too bad. In Arise, fast travel is a lot of accessible and there are more fast travel points.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, which file do i need to put these line in though? Do i need to create one? If so where do i put it? If i don't want motion blur and so on, i should put it on 0 right?
The game has very very mild camera motion blur, this is a screenshot while camera is moving at full speed. The motion blur is primarily used for object motion blur instead. But if you want to turn it down yea it'd be 0.
ktkWKL1.jpg

You edit the Engine.ini file in C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment\Tales of Arise\Config\WindowsNoEditor