• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Agreed. Just look at how the french protest.
Everyone should be out in the streets tomorrow (or helping however they can) but I fear American police reaction to this protest. Let's be honest, they clearly have different rules on handling left leaning protest vs the right wing protest.

In any other developed country, this is a human rights issue, but in USA they always make it right v left.
I never get these posts like... congrats I guess? The overall situation between France (and most of the world) and the US makes it impossible to compare. The US is strongly discouraged to protest because we will get shot and then go bankrupt paying for the medical bills from being shot. Not to mention so many at will employers where we can get fired for pretty much anything so protest during a work day is hard for most that are barely scraping by. Add the fact that the US is far less population dense to encourage mass protests and we don't have adequate transportation to get to a mass protest. All that before we talk about how America's left doesn't even come close to most of the world's progressives and would be seen as center at best.

It sucks and I wish we were more civically engaged but comparing countries is always asinine.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to educate everyone on what Democrats truly do & operate behind the scenes (such as on post #2,874) & to offer better options such as what I've previously posted (Post #3,262).
Which I responded to in Post #2,916
with a list of specific ways that harm reduction voting for democrats has measurably helped millions of people. You never really acknowledged it.

Abortion was only banned today in red states. Wonder why?

It was never my intention to tell people don't vote or anything of the sort.
You literally posted that protesting and voting solves nothing, ignored posts about how voting helps vulnerable people, then reiterated that there's no point to voting and that "both parties are one and the same."

You say you want to educate but have posted some very, um, historically inaccurate impressions of what went down (like with Jimmy Carter) and then ignore the zillion people who chimed in to correct the record....in favor of continuing to post inaccurate shit.

If you actually want to advance the cause of the people you claim to be fighting for don't spend all this time posting things that are wrong and trying to demotivate others. Why on earth would you want people to be disengaged and misinformed?

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
The best way to stop a revolutionary isn't with a weapon, but comfort.

Media consumption habits definitely take a share of the blame here. We often consume a movie, a book, a podcast, a game, etc.. that plays out despicable injustices against fellow humans, against the environment, etc.. and we are moved by it. Moved to talk about it on forums, moved to retweet a succinct review that echoes your own feelings, moved to create content on social media about it that engages others (and hopefully gets some ad revenue).

But not moved to actually do anything about the the systemic issue that was laid out initially, the one we so deeply care about. We now "protest" and "resist" by proxy through the media we consume. I'm have no desire to police how people decide they want to unwind and cope existing in this terrible country. It's just bleak as fuck.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Yup it's embarrassing to see how easily some people are duped. Really wish people would make sure they know what they're talking about before spamming these bullshit takes.
Then the leadership should go out there and name names on who's responsible. "If only McConnel had a conscience", "If only Collins had a brain" "If only Sinema had a fucking principle"

Madhlad

Jan 18, 2020
I never get these posts like... congrats I guess? The overall situation between France (and most of the world) and the US makes it impossible to compare. The US is strongly discouraged to protest because we will get shot and then go bankrupt paying for the medical bills from being shot. Not to mention so many at will employers where we can get fired for pretty much anything so protest during a work day is hard for most that are barely scraping by. Add the fact that the US is far less population dense to encourage mass protests and we don't have adequate transportation to get to a mass protest. All that before we talk about how America's left doesn't even come close to most of the world's progressives and would be seen as center at best.

It sucks and I wish we were more civically engaged but comparing countries is always asinine.
I get your point. My intention was not to compare, But just saying whatever you guys in America do be it protest, write to your representative or anything, this supreme court decision should not stand.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
hi yogurt, i don't care. he promised and didn't deliver. am i going to vote republican? no. but i'm not fucking happy with our party right now
Well, you can be angry at him making promises he knew he probably couldn't deliver on. But, no matter how hard he tried it just wouldn't be possible for him to accomplish this.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan

No it's not. It's required, either the US actually upholds the beacon of progress it oh so loves to nationalistically self-fellatiate over or it falls apart as it deserves many times over. The former will inevitably draw comparisons from its international peers.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Then the leadership should go out there and name names on who's responsible. "If only McConnel had a conscience", "If only Collins had a brain" "If only Sinema had a fucking principle"

Biden has literally gone after Manchin by name.

Know what the response was to that? A thread on THIS forum criticizing him for it.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
the "well actually" in this thread is really annoying at a pivotal moment like this. we voted. we did what we had to do. i'm literally coming back to america with less rights than when i left. at this moment i do not want to hear "well we gotta play by the rules". get angry people, nothing else works.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I get your point. My intention was not to compare, But just saying whatever you guys in America do be it protest, write to your representative or anything, this supreme court decision should not stand.
Yeah I get ya. It's extremely demoralizing and hardly any emphasis is placed on local elections. ;(

No it's not. It's required, either the US actually upholds the beacon of progress it oh so loves to nationalistically self-fellatiate over or it falls apart as it deserves many times over. The former will inevitably draw comparisons from its international peers.
I want to be from the America that you believe thinks of itself as a beacon of progress. lol. No one thinks that except for the chuds that want to go back to the "good 'ol days". We have no free medical. No free schooling. No days off. Hardly any unions which means we have terrible workers' rights. The only things that are true are we're big, we're monetarily wealthy and we care more about our military than our people.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yeah I get ya. It's extremely demoralizing and hardly any emphasis is placed on local elections. ;(

I want to be from the America that you believe thinks of itself as a beacon of progress. lol. No one thinks that except for the chuds that want to go back to the "good 'ol days". We have no free medical. No free schooling. No days off. Hardly any unions which means we have terrible workers' rights. The only things that are true are we're big, we're monetarily wealthy and we care more about our military than our people.

And those chuds you mentioned are dictating the country's domestic reality. So yes that mindset is very much applicable in not only America itself but those looking upon it from afar.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
People don't like to hear it, but the only way to get the laws you want is to vote in people who will carry out your views.

Republicans win because they put all their effort to win seats at the local level. They are openly stating their desire to rig the next election and are putting people in place at all of those lower levels.

How often do they protest in large numbers? Not very often because they are too busy being laser focused on local seats with grass root movements.

Protesting and marching doesn't do anything if elected officials don't care. Republicans have people in place willing to break the law while in office in order to accomplish their goals.

Pressure campaigns don't matter if it doesn't result in getting your people elected. I don't know why people don't get that. Only winning matters.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
the "well actually" in this thread is really annoying at a pivotal moment like this. we voted. we did what we had to do. i'm literally coming back to america with less rights than when i left. at this moment i do not want to hear "well we gotta play by the rules". get angry people, nothing else works.
We have the numbers…if we all just would vote we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. It's infuriating. I can only see two ways to help America right now: the easy way - by voting; or the hard way, through violence. I'm not going to recommend violence on this forum and honestly I really would hate to see it happen, so I just fucking hope people learn to vote every single time there's an election.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I know people like to nuance the picture of dems not being able to codify abortion due to it being a big tent party.
But I have seen very little posts about races that then dems support anti abortion candidates in blue districts.
I don't know that stuff like that would have a large enough impact but we should recognize that it has happened and is happening.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
People don't like to hear it, but the only way to get the laws you want is to vote in people who will carry out your views.

Republicans win because they put all their effort to win seats at the local level. They are openly stating their desire to rig the next election and are putting people in place at all of those lower levels.

How often do they protest in large numbers? Not very often because they are too busy being laser focused on local seats with grass root movements.

Protesting and marching doesn't do anything if elected officials don't care. Republicans have people in place willing to break the law while in office in order to accomplish their goals.

Pressure campaigns don't matter if it doesn't result in getting your people elected. I don't know why people don't get that. Only winning matters.

Yep. Hate to say it but protesting doesn't accomplish shit. The people with the power don't give a fuck anymore how many thousands of people show up at protests. The right wing in this country has always known that the only thing that matters is winning by any means necessary and no matter the cost.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

That is true, but they also gerrymander the shit out of states and make it increasingly harder to vote. Their goal is to suppress voting in key states. They will probably never win a popular vote again, but they've architected a winning strategy by voter suppression at the state and local levels.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I know people like to nuance the picture of dems not being able to codify abortion due to it being a big tent party.
But I have seen very little posts about races that then dems support anti abortion candidates in blue districts.
I don't know that stuff like that would have a large enough impact but we should recognize that it has happened and is happening.
Like I said, there is one anti-choice Democrat in the House today. In 2008 there were 64.

Anti-choice democrats are an incredibly rare breed today, and not really having a meaningful impact.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, there is one anti-choice Democrat in the House today. In 2008 there were 64.

Anti-choice democrats are an incredibly rare breed today, and not really having a meaningful impact.

So why back one?
Also how many of the 64 had similar stories with being an incumbent and just getting it the party okay cause of that?
Honest question, cause I don't know.

Oct 27, 2017

This.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The capitol police were pretty significant victims of January 6th. I don't like that they have snipers aimed at protestors, but this ain't it.
I am aware that a lot of the capitol police were deliberately left to the wolves on that day, and a few of them did the right thing and even rose to the level of heroism. Like, I haven't forgotten Eugene Goodman.

That ain't got nothing to do with the price of tea in China in that a.) some of the officials there were sympathetic to the insurrectionists, and b.) this country has a tradition of increased aggression to left-leaning protestors than right-leaning terrorists.

Sorry, I've just got no love no respect for American police forces of any kind. They'll be alright.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The capitol police were pretty significant victims of January 6th. I don't like that they have snipers aimed at protestors, but this ain't it.
hold on there hoss. they faced some serious issues on Jan 6, and did their jobs with disctinction, but that doesn't get them any truck when they're still "just doing their jobs" to bring out the killshot sniper rifles for some protesters, in a nation that historically considers peaceful protesters a possible threat. and they had to twist arms to get people to take Jan6 seriously, possibly even using the pretext of Jan 6 as a reason to be really really "serious" about security now. If everyone is a potential rioter AND the state doesn't see my rights as worth shit, then the farcical show of force can get called out too.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
That is true, but they also gerrymander the shit out of states and make it increasingly harder to vote. Their goal is to suppress voting in key states. They will probably never win a popular vote again, but they've architected a winning strategy by voter suppression at the state and local levels.

That was accomplished over a very long time and with diligent effort. Undoing that will take just as long if not longer, but it only starts through winning and only with winning.

Purity tests need to go out the door. Win and win and then start to primary officials who don't fall in line. That's how Republicans have been getting primaried in the last several elections.

Imagine if all the people willing to protest put all that energy into making sure all their friends and family voted? Imagine if they used all those social media followers and urged them to register to vote?

Registering people to vote and GETTING them to vote is the only thing that gets your people elected. That is what the Democratic strategy needs to be. It's not about getting angry or marching or whatever. It's in doing things that results in registering voters and getting them to vote.

Stacey Abrams gets that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Purity tests need to go out the door. Win and win and then start to primary officials who don't fall in line. That's how Republicans have been getting primaried in the last several elections.
no more blue dogs though. taking a win via a conservative "democratish" career politician is part of how we got here too.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So in a sure blue district they backed a anti abortion candidate only cause of him being an incumbent.
That is still fucking trash.
"in a sure blue district" while the district has been a growing battleground for Democrats and multiple analyst have the race as a toss-up, is a weird thing to say. Hispanics, especially in Texas and Florida, are more conservatives than people like to admit and we've seen that in multiple races including Cuellar's district (79% Hispanic) which was D+20 in 2016 but D+4 in 2020.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
"in a sure blue district" while the district has been a growing battleground for Democrats and multiple analyst have the race as a toss-up, is a weird thing to say. Hispanics, especially in Texas and Florida, are more conservatives than people like to admit and we've seen that in multiple races including Cuellar's district (79% Hispanic) which was D+20 in 2016 but D+4 in 2020.

Yet he only won be about 200 votes in the primaries. So shouldn't it have been a blowout?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So in a sure blue district they backed a anti abortion candidate only cause of him being an incumbent.
That is still fucking trash.
I don't think it's a sure blue district for any Democrat. Cuellar got 58% last time but he outperformed Biden by 7%. I don't think it's gonna be a cake walk for him this year, and it's absolutely possible that Cisneros would have lost a race Cuellar could win.

That being said, he got the endorsements because he was the incumbent, thats the deal the party makes with sitting politicians. I would have preferred Cisneros getting the chance to run in the general over Cuellar, but ultimately it's the people of the Texas 28th that made that decision.

Yet he only won be about 200 votes in the primaries. So shouldn't it have been a blowout?
That's really not how things work. Most people don't vote in the primary.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

All of this. The number of times I've had to explain to people that Republicans could not care less about protestors. A Republican has never seen a protest and thought "Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't be evil."