• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
What are the multiplatform PS3 games that look and/or run smoother on PS3 v 360?

I know this was the exception but I recently picked one up and was curious what to keep an eye out for.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
From the top of my head, Burnout Paradise and Final Fantasy XIII. Can't think of any other.

EDIT: And that's just the ones I remember. I'm sure there may be more but I remember these two being developed with PS3 as main platform?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think it was mostly the case of "they don't run/look WORSE so they're about equally good" or sometimes it was only because Xbox 360 used to have washed out colors sometimes.

Like, I picked PS3 versions of El Shaddai and Dante's Inferno (also bc extra content), Arkham Asylum (also has extra challenge levels), Dragon's Dogma, Darksiders, Enslaved, Portal 2 (this had crossplay with steam btw so that's a legit plus!), The Saboteur, NFS Hot Pursuit, and Vanquish over 360 because there was no real drawbacks. Remember when consoles had free online? Yea wild times. "not any worse" was already enough to make that the easy get with free online features.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2, not only technically (better AA implementation, higher quality motion blur) but also in terms of functionality (Steam integration, cross platform co-op with PC).

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
L.A. Noire, can't really remember any others that haven't already been mentioned.

Jul 1, 2020
Portal 2 was also cross-buy with PC on PS3. You could effectively get two copies of the game for only $10 more than the PC version at the time.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly Dead Space 3 was on 1 disc on PS3 but required 2 discs on 360. So you had to switch discs depending on what part of the game you were playing.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was mostly the case of "they don't run/look WORSE so they're about equally good" or sometimes it was only because Xbox 360 used to have washed out colors sometimes.

Like, I picked PS3 versions of El Shaddai and Dante's Inferno (also bc extra content), Arkham Asylum (also has extra challenge levels), Dragon's Dogma, Darksiders, Enslaved, Portal 2 (this had crossplay with steam btw so that's a legit plus!), The Saboteur, NFS Hot Pursuit, and Vanquish over 360 because there was no real drawbacks. Remember when consoles had free online? Yea wild times. "not any worse" was already enough to make that the easy get with free online features.

I think I remember Dragon's Dogma having more frame drops on ps3 but vsync always on, and I think that was a difference on more games. 360 teared like shit sometimes and ps3 got vsync ports with worse framerate but no tearing. DD was one and maybe RE5 too?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Games made by Criterion looked about the same on both systems. They made Burnout Paradise, and a few of the Need for speed games.

The only one I clearly remember looking better on PS3 was FF13, it was 720p vs 576p.

zone of the enders hd collection is another that runs and looks better on PS3. It's the only version that got updated by HexaDrive, they fixed the frame rate, and made the resolution higher than 720p.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think I remember Dragon's Dogma having more frame drops on ps3 but vsync always on, and I think that was a difference on more games. 360 teared like shit sometimes and ps3 got vsync ports with worse framerate but no tearing. DD was one and maybe RE5 too?
yea that stuff rings a bell

Games made by Criterion looked about the same on both systems. They made Burnout Paradise, and a few of the Need for speed games.

The only one I clearly remember looking better on PS3 was FF13, it was 720p vs 576p.
and the cutscenes weren't compressed vids so they'd fit on DVDs!!!! (keep forgetting 360 still used DVDs...)

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
From what I can remember the PS3 version of GTAV was better in terms of performance and on a single disk.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill collections got patches on PS3 that didn't appear on 360, and that made them somewhat better? It's been a while, I don't remember 100%

May 18, 2018
London
Portal 2's Steam integration was an incredible feature that meant a lot to me - I missed most of my first month at university with a head injury and was able to bond with one of my flatmates by playing Portal 2 cross-platform from home. It was a lifesaver and made going back to uni weeks after everyone else had met way easier.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly Dead Space 3 was on 1 disc on PS3 but required 2 discs on 360. So you had to switch discs depending on what part of the game you were playing.
I don't think the PS3 had any multi disc games, but it became a big hassle on the 360 towards the end of that generation.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Towards the very end on the PS3 lifecycle it seemed like most devs figured out how to better program for it, so alot of those ports from that time period reached parity and/or slightly improved over the 360 versions.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Also Mass Effect games (some or all) used a more updated version of the engine, I think at least one. What I don't know is exactly how it affected and if it made that version actually better, or if it still had worse performance after all. In regards to content, maybe 3 launched with more comics to create a save game or some of that.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Is this for collection or is the intent to play?

I feel like we also have to account for whether these games are accessible through BC on Xbox One/Series - with the performace boosts those titles would see on those platforms.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Performance was a bit more stable and had faster asset streaming but X360 had better looking trees and foliage.

This is a myth, I remember a lot of people thinking this even back then...

the X360 as long as you had a HDD would run the game better consistently.

In addition, the PSN version of GTA 5 actually had a lot of streaming issues.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is a myth, I remember a lot of people thinking this even back then...

the X360 as long as you had a HDD would run the game better consistently.
Right, now that I think about it, I think it was specific moments where the PS3 held up better than the 360, like explosions or crashes.
In addition, the PSN version of GTA 5 actually had a lot of streaming issues.
Yeah, even though it required an install, it still heavily read from the disc to maximize data streaming.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
There are very few and the difference is frequently extremely marginal.
A lot was said about Burnout Paradise back in the day, but that game was essentially identical.

I seem to remember that GTA5 ran a bit better on PS3, but that might be without installing it on the X360. The Battlefield 3 alpha at least ran a bit better. In all these cases the actual performance was still in the toilet.

OP
OP
sox

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Is this for collection or is the intent to play?

I feel like we also have to account for whether these games are accessible through BC on Xbox One/Series - with the performace boosts those titles would see on those platforms.
Good point. I have a Series X so I guess given the option I'd play them there but it's probably more useful in general to leave it open ended.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I remember the Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill collections got patches on PS3 that didn't appear on 360, and that made them somewhat better? It's been a while, I don't remember 100%

For Zoe2 it was a night and day unplayable to playable change. Hexadrive saved the game. Less relevant now that the new ports and backwards compatible versions exist but at the time it was an extremely shitty konami move to leave the 360 untouched.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
I believe the Alone in the Dark reboot is one.

When it launched later on the PS3 it had the title of 'Alone in the Dark: Inferno', and it included upgrades to the controls, camera, driving, it was said to be an overall more polished version, and it included exclusive areas.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/alone-in-the-dark-inferno-hands-on

EDIT: I guess this doesn't 100% fit the bill, as it's not specifically about image quality or performance.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For Zoe2 it was a night and day unplayable to playable change. Hexadrive saved the game. Less relevant now that the new ports and backwards compatible versions exist but at the time it was an extremely shitty konami move to leave the 360 untouched.

So is ZoE fine on S/X? It's free with Gold right now

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 Tekken 6 has better AA and fewer jaggies. I think Tekken Tag 2 was better on PS3 also.

Vanquish on 360 had tearing, the PS3 version didn't.

A shit ton of PS3 games had better audio. Uncompressed LPCM vs low bit rate DD on the 360.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Either version of GTA was a technical wonder. It's amazing what Rockstar can do with the hardware given to them.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

The 360 version ran at around 45 fps I believe. So it should be a lock 60 fps now.

It looks like it's mostly 60fps with some drops here and there, versus the 45ish with drops to 12, 15fps regularly at launch. 360/hd collection version is still missing a couple minor graphical effects compared to the original ps2 release, but other than that looks fine. Give it a go especially if it's free (skip the first title unless you really care about backstory and completeness as it's not really good).

"High speed robot action" I think was kojima's tagline for it and it's extremely accurate.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Portal 2, not only technically (better AA implementation, higher quality motion blur) but also in terms of functionality (Steam integration, cross platform co-op with PC).
this is still the weirdest one because of everything gabe said/did with regard to orange box on ps3
I actually forgot about the feature gap on this and recently purchased portal 2 on series x back compat. it all came rushing back. it looks nice in 4k but needs the frame rate uncapped badly, it's still a better experience on PC for my needs

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
ZoE1 runs at a totally locked 60 on Series S. Definitely miles better than the ps3 version where for certain boss battles/alpha effects it would drop hard to 20fps. Update: the game will drop frames if youve turned the xbox on from instant on mode.
Havent tried ZoE2 but i assume itll be locked 60. It is missing the extra effects that the patched ps3 version and the PS4 version has.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, rereading a few DF articles because of this thread, that generation was such a shitshow of bad framerates, poor IQ and screen tearing.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The 360 version ran at around 45 fps I believe. So it should be a lock 60 fps now.

It looks like it's mostly 60fps with some drops here and there, versus the 45ish with drops to 12, 15fps regularly at launch. 360/hd collection version is still missing a couple minor graphical effects compared to the original ps2 release, but other than that looks fine. Give it a go especially if it's free (skip the first title unless you really care about backstory and completeness as it's not really good).

"High speed robot action" I think was kojima's tagline for it and it's extremely accurate.

ZoE1 runs at a totally locked 60 on Series S. Definitely miles better than the ps3 version where for certain boss battles/alpha effects it would drop hard to 20fps.
Havent tried ZoE2 but i assume itll be locked 60. It is missing the extra effects that the patched ps3 version and the PS4 version has.

Ah that's good to know

I do actually have the PS3 version, but picked it up on Series S as it's free, so was just wondering how that version would be

Man, rereading a few DF articles because of this thread, that generation was such a shitshow of bad framerates, poor IQ and screen tearing.

Yeah, crazy that in a decade we've gone from 30 with drops as the standard to 60fps as the standard on consoles