• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That selection of quotes sure was a load of nothing
"There will be characters people want, probably not Nintendo ones but also maybe one or two"
The scoopz!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That selection of quotes sure was a load of nothing
"There will be characters people want, probably not Nintendo ones but also maybe one or two"
The scoopz!
Ah come off it.
I've said it was nothing much, but interesting to place in context with what other "leakers" were saying and why.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Being honest here, i have a hunch that Charcter 5 will be someone completly unexpected like how Terry was before the SNK Leak
GOOD! We need more unexpected characters, I really don't want any of the characters people are heavily predicting. It's more fun when we get something we didn't expect. Terry is a great addition, probably the best DLC so far. Only character I truly want is Reimu, so I hope it's either that or something completely out of left field.

Mochino

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry everyone, i'm subjecting you all to my shit taste again.
L1dcUrD.png

Wabam! Your DLC lineup, coming to a copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate near you. Unfortunately; Reimu, Layton, Lara Croft, 2B and some alternatives for the Bandai Namco character could not make the cut (though, I could toss out Sora for one of those).

Now, you may have noticed a distinct lack of first-party characters; and that's because I don't think we'll get any. But to fulfil this desire, i've made two substitute passes!
CK5MQdu.png

It's... Rillaboom!
dAw86E2.png
Beautiful. And why not, have some freshly-picked Echo Fighters too.
rw9Hl09.png
Literally the only thing I dislike about your list is that I theoretically would have to wait two years for Phoenix and Sora. Other than that it's every thing I could dream of!

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Unexpected characters are fun and all but at the end I would feel better if we ended up with a roster full of beloved icons.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm really happy gamexplain mentioned her and I see they agree with me about female representation being good.

One thing I'd change though in the video is discuss KOS-MOS's designs cause version 3 isn't even close to being her most popular. So it kinda looked weird discussing her with that pic in mind.
I think female representation can only be argued as unimportant if you're someone who already feels comfortably represented (most dudes). Smash is meant to be the ultimate crossover of gaming icons and yet only around 12 characters are women by default. Smash isn't entirely to blame, there are absolutely iconic female characters who aren't in Smash but the industry just has so many more male characters to choose from.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
Following these leaks is like a self-induced migraine. It's annoying how consistently the same pattern emerges of "established leakers throw around ten billion vague weird quasi leaks", then "random 4chan screencap or maybe fakable in game screenshot gains traction on twitter", then "established leakers scramble to confer with their sources, either confirming they had the right info all along or staking their lives, houses, and families on this info being null and void". Like, whether or not these leaker sources are correct the vast majority of the time any hard definitive leaks come off the back of responses to leaks made by literal nobodies, which kinda hints that these moves tend to be solely about trying to maintain some semblance of status in the little pools where they reign as royal big fishies.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
We're following leaks and insiders because we are really just looking for something to talk about while we wait for the official reveal.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are some pretty good recreations of Terry's train stage online already. I thought it'd take longer for people to do it well. The stages have background (and foreground!) moving backwards to give the illusion of being on top of a moving train and even have the "train" shaking a bit. None of the ones with Mount Rushmore in the background are good though.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
We're following leaks and insiders because we are really just looking for something to talk about while we wait for the official reveal.
Basically. At least it makes discussions a bit more interesting, even if it's fake.
Pretty much everything on the topic has been said otherwise.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Great to hear that Nintendo/Sakurai would go to the ends of the earth to get Sora before this DLC run is done. Makes me confident and hopeful that he'll make it in the end. The one character of gaming history that Smash is desperately missing (Crono too)

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
When did he say that?
Scroll down to quote about Sora

Some new Smashboards rumor from today (doesn't say much but still...). Starting from this post, from this poster:

^about Doomguy

^about Sabi's sources

(Hayabusa for the link above)

^regarding the list of names shared in "leakers" circles

^about Doomguy again

^about Sora

Still ongoing, just go to the last page (1707 at the time of posting) for more from this guy.

Also implies that Geno/Lloyd/Capcom/etc would be more post-pass than FP5, and that every DLC fighter will bring spirits.

Just posted the interesting bits, it's over multiple pages, and that guy seems to know Sabi, so probably lol. At least it's less vague than Sabi's bs.
Sorry if it's been discussed already.

edit:
uh just noticed that I've posted a lot of quotes.
TL;DR: there's about 8 names going around in leaker circles,
Geno/Ryu/Crash are not expected as FP5
Ryu is considered leaker bait as well as some others
Doomguy might be post-FP but not much talk about him
Capcom is expected as post-FP
FP5 is considered to be one of 2 names, no definitive info/leak
post-FP might have some first party characters and will have spirits.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think female representation can only be argued as unimportant if you're someone who already feels comfortably represented (most dudes). Smash is meant to be the ultimate crossover of gaming icons and yet only around 12 characters are women by default. Smash isn't entirely to blame, there are absolutely iconic female characters who aren't in Smash but the industry just has so many more male characters to choose from.
Thank you. There are still female characters left to include that are iconic or carry a legacy after all.

Aug 12, 2019
A return to first parties would seriously depress me as a Smash player. We've moved on to such exciting possibilities and Smash just keeps making a more and more impressive legacy through the third parties that they're including. This is the only chance that we're going to have to put all of these third parties in the same game too, so I just really hope Sakurai and Nintendo continue to take advantage of this opportunity. There's still so many great and notable Japanese third parties to make a part of the Smash narrative, and we've barely even touched Western third parties!

I also just kind of roll my eyes when people mention "balance" when it comes to Ultimate's roster about the DLC being primarily third party and needing to swing back to first party... Like, we have 67 first parties to 14 third parties right now and 20 years of Smash building up the first parties almost exclusively save for a handful of characters. Let's ride this third party wave til the end. It's honestly just so much more interesting and exciting than the handful of just less impactful major first parties left...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ah come off it.
I've said it was nothing much, but interesting to place in context with what other "leakers" were saying and why.
Oh I appreciated your compiling of things.
Just that a lot of them are doing that umming and ahhing, where they hint at info buuuut don't really say anything

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
My ideal next five characters would include some combination of Sora, Travis Touchdown, Dante, 2B, Reimu, and Sol Badguy.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
A return to first parties would seriously depress me as a Smash player. We've moved on to such exciting possibilities and Smash just keeps making a more and more impressive legacy through the third parties that they're including. This is the only chance that we're going to have to put all of these third parties in the same game too, so I just really hope Sakurai and Nintendo continue to take advantage of this opportunity. There's still so many great and notable Japanese third parties to make a part of the Smash narrative, and we've barely even touched Western third parties!

I also just kind of roll my eyes when people mention "balance" when it comes to Ultimate's roster about the DLC being primarily third party and needing to swing back to first party... Like, we have 67 first parties to 14 third parties right now and 20 years of Smash building up the first parties almost exclusively save for a handful of characters. Let's ride this third party wave til the end. It's honestly just so much more interesting and exciting than the handful of just less impactful major first parties left...

SfjLuoF.gif

I'm not against first parties' inclusions but I would find third parties more exciting this time because they would add more stuffs to legacy roster with something interesting and make it even more ULTIMATE!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be so disappointed if the Detective Club remake doesn't get released internationally.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I agree to an extent, but I do feel like the first party characters are a core part of the series' identity and why so many people fell in love with the series (being a celebration of Nintendo). Third parties don't need to go away but I feel like we could use a couple of first parties in DLC... the only problem is some of the most likely choices would be kind of trite and played out (Xth Fire Emblem character, Zth Pokemon, etc.). I can also say my favorite Smash characters tend to be secondary characters and villains, not the dude on the boxart, so that's one downside of the third party focus.

I'm sympathetic to the first party crowd because during Smash 4 DLC people were telling me how dumb it was to still want K. Rool when these third party characters were obviously way cooler and more impactful. Then of course K. Rool and Ridley got into the next game and were two of the most hyped announcements. I don't think besides Dixie Kong there are many high-level first party characters left to add compared to the very obviously missing K. Rool/Ridley, but there is a bit of wistful nostalgia for the earlier days of Smash when we were getting cool and weird Nintendo picks. I'm sure that will return in the next game though.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I agree to an extent, but I do feel like the first party characters are a core part of the series' identity and why so many people fell in love with the series (being a celebration of Nintendo). Third parties don't need to go away but I feel like we could use a couple of first parties in DLC... the only problem is some of the most likely choices would be kind of trite and played out (Xth Fire Emblem character, Zth Pokemon, etc.). I can also say my favorite Smash characters tend to be secondary characters and villains, not the dude on the boxart, so that's one downside of the third party focus.

I'm sympathetic to the first party crowd because during Smash 4 DLC people were telling me how dumb it was to still want K. Rool when these third party characters were obviously way cooler and more impactful. Then of course K. Rool and Ridley got into the next game and were two of the most hyped announcements. I don't think besides Dixie Kong there are many high-level first party characters left to add compared to the very obviously missing K. Rool/Ridley, but there is a bit of wistful nostalgia for the earlier days of Smash when we were getting cool and weird Nintendo picks. I'm sure that will return in the next game though.

I would be more excited for first parties if they are from new franchises that doesn't exists in Smash Bros but I find them unlikely at the point.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be so disappointed if the Detective Club remake doesn't get released internationally.

You and me both. Detective Club becoming the only first party IP by Nintendo on Switch to not get an international release after hoping for it to get a revival for so long would be crushing.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Nah the Hunter has tons of personality for a silent Avatar protagonist. There's alot of character in the animations of Monster Hunter that it would be charming enough on it's own. That's before we get into the wide array of weapons that they could use to round out a moveset.

I feel like people shouldn't put Monster Hunter on the same level of Chosen Undead as a complete blank slate non character. They have enough character to be in a Smash game
I totally agree. Sakurai usually doesn't add characters I want to the roster, but my wishes would greatly be fulfilled if I can hear this song on the results screen:

Beautiful soundtrack

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to first parties - I'd find legacy characters exciting.
Characters from recent titles like Three House and Astral Chain less so.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Exactly, yet people continue to argue that it's either women or iconic characters. Some think that adding more women is just "adding women because they're women". You can have it both ways.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I donno. I'd say I've been batting for a character that ticks both the iconic and female criterias.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've been on the Monster Hunter train since the start of the Fighters Pass. Would be so good. So many colorful and diverse alts. Armor sets that ARE iconic to anyone who plays MH and there are a lot of them. A ton of charming animations and they can even give them palicoes for taunts and the stage, who doesn't love palicoes? The biggest arsenal of weapons than maybe anyone in the roster. Live Kaiju battles on their stage. GameXplain really didn't do their research when they discussed them.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, yet people continue to argue that it's either women or iconic characters. Some think that adding more women is just "adding women because they're women". You can have it both ways.
It's crazy too because last game we needed to add more villains yet now when we're actually asking for representation that matters now it's "they shouldn't add someone for a statistic and the character should be fun"

Status
Not open for further replies.