• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
RRR would be crazy. Literally a blank slate and I'd wager more than half the people that played PSO have no idea who she is at all.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to keep talking about Phantasy Star cause y'all opened the door.

maxresdefault.jpg

Phantasy Star has some of the best character design of any JRPG series ever (mostly because it's one of the rare JRPG series almost entirely set in space in and in the distant future)

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
My personal favorite art style in the series goes to Phantasy Star Zero on DS, even if the game itself is pretty lack luster.

header.jpg

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I heard this thread is talking about Phantasy Star now?

wallpaper10.png

To my immense surprise, it seems so?

Rico is definitely probably the best choice gameplay-wise for a PS character. She just has so many abilities that she doesn't have to borrow from other characters to pad out her moveset that I feel like the real problem is that she has too much. 7 personal weapons, photon arts that she uses in her PSO2 and PSU-related appearances, a mag, photon blasts, 16 spells/techniques, various items, and her Dark Falz transformation.

Pretty much the only thing holding her back is that the story is so completely ignorable in PSO that some players were kind of confused when she appeared in certain endings, but I kind of feel like that's a moot point since she's still the focus of the story regardless of whether or not they chose to interact with it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Yakuza more popular in Japan now? It always appears on those Famitsu sales lists.
Yakuza has seen bigger growth potential and crossover appeal with the west, but the Puyo series is still bigger. Between sales and unique Puyo Quest accounts it's at 27 million (not counting for sales they had when Sega didn't own it) against Yakuza's 11 million. It also has bigger merchandising appeal

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Special shout out to this stupid fucking dragon which is by far the video game boss I have spent the most time fighting. Phantasy Star has a special tradition of reskinning this motherfucker five times a game and making you fight him until you want to stab your eyes out.

tumblr_inline_miyaf4Z9UZ1qz4rgp.png

5841.jpg

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it was really funny when they were trumpeting the fact that Sonic had sold 800 MILLION UNITS (because they were including toys and t-shirts in that number)

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
To my immense surprise, it seems so?

Rico is definitely probably the best choice gameplay-wise for a PS character. She just has so many abilities that she doesn't have to borrow from other characters to pad out her moveset that I feel like the real problem is that she has too much. 7 personal weapons, photon arts that she uses in her PSO2 and PSU-related appearances, a mag, photon blasts, 16 spells/techniques, various items, and her Dark Falz transformation.

Pretty much the only thing holding her back is that the story is so completely ignorable in PSO that some players were kind of confused when she appeared in certain endings, but I kind of feel like that's a moot point since she's still the focus of the story regardless of whether or not they chose to interact with it.

Rico is probably the only character that would top Master Chief on my personal Smash hype meter (I know shocker!), but she's so unlikely that I don't have any realistic hope for her. You're absolutely right though, in terms of representing the entire breadth of the modern era of Phantasy Star gameplay, she is perfect.

I nearly had a heart attack when they announced PSO2 was finally getting a western release at the Xbox conference during E3 this year.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rico is probably the only character that would top Master Chief on my personal Smash hype meter (I know shocker!), but she's so unlikely that I don't have any realistic hope for her. You're absolutely right though, in terms of representing the entire breadth of the modern era of Phantasy Star gameplay, she is perfect.

I nearly had a heart attack when they announced PSO2 was finally getting a western release at the Xbox conference during E3 this year.

PSO2 coming west (and it already being confirmed that it wont be solely an XBOX exclusive) is the main thing that makes me hopeful for any kind of PS content. I can easily see a western PSO2 release on Switch, especially since the Breath of the Wild cross promotion items already exist in the JP game, so here's hoping something or another happens for Smash. It might only end up being stuff like a HUmar or Alis Mii Swordfighter costume but dammit I'll take anything.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
PSO2 coming west (and it already being confirmed that it wont be solely an XBOX exclusive) is the main thing that makes me hopeful for any kind of PS content. I can easily see a western PSO2 release on Switch, especially since the Breath of the Wild cross promotion items already exist in the JP game, so here's hoping something or another happens for Smash. It might only end up being stuff like a HUmar or Alis Mii Swordfighter costume but dammit I'll take anything.

Funnily enough, Phantasy Star has always been primarily an Xbox franchise for me. Played PSO Ep 1 & 2 on OG Xbox, played PSU on 360. It's still surreal to me that I'll be able to play PSO2 on Xbox One this spring. Full circle.

Unless the Switch version has built in voice chat, I can't justify getting it over the Xbox version.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, Phantasy Star has always been primarily an Xbox franchise for me. Played PSO Ep 1 & 2 on OG Xbox, played PSU on 360. It's still surreal to me that I'll be able to play PSO2 on Xbox One this spring. Full circle.

Unless the Switch version has built in voice chat, I can't justify getting it over the Xbox version.

Probably not, since voice chat isn't even a feature in the current JP version. If it's a built-in XBOX Live feature, then yeah, I guess it would be exclusive to the XBOX version.

Though PSO had a lot of appearances across systems, I still think it's extremely noteworthy just because it was the first global online RPG on consoles in general, and the only one on Nintendo consoles specifically for years and years through the GameCube version. Outside one or two JP exclusives, the reason to own a Broadband adapter for the GameCube was PSO.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played the shit out of PSO GCN with friends.

Never got online but it didn't matter. Love that game.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Hey, here's a question with a fundamentally meaningless answer: when did they change Banjo's/Hero's release to "coming soon" relative to their release, if they did so? Not like you can use it as a calculation or anything, but I'm curious.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, here's a question with a fundamentally meaningless answer: when did they change Banjo's/Hero's release to "coming soon" relative to their release, if they did so? Not like you can use it as a calculation or anything, but I'm curious.
I don't believe they did. Hero stayed "Summer 2019" until his release, and Banjo & Kazooie stayed "Fall 2019" until theirs.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I don't believe they did. Hero stayed "Summer 2019" until his release, and Banjo & Kazooie stayed "Fall 2019" until theirs.

Oh no. What if the recent signs are instead pointing to a Terry delay instead of an imminent release? What if they release a short update video apologizing for the delay?!

Terry, are you okay?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. What if the recent signs are instead pointing to a Terry delay instead of an imminent release? What if they release a short update video apologizing for the delay?!

Terry, are you okay?
The eShop and Japanese site still say November. Whoever's in charge of the US site deliberately made the change, which is very strange.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
A few days ago people on reddit were complaining about the CSS being broken for Terry's and Banjo's cut ins on the DLC page, which was fixed. Makes me wonder if someone who does NOA's website stuff reads r/smashbros

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago people on reddit were complaining about the CSS being broken for Terry's and Banjo's cut ins on the DLC page, which was fixed. Makes me wonder if someone who does NOA's website stuff reads r/smashbros
They mentioned Gaf before. I'm sure they look at popular online communities/forums.

They're reading what we have to say right too I bet.

(Hi Nintendo!)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
From a business perspective I see no benefit to trying to promote and release Terry the same weekend as Luigi's Mansion. They could have everything ready to go and they are more likely to wait until next week where there is nothing.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
From a business perspective I see no benefit to trying to promote and release Terry the same weekend as Luigi's Mansion. They could have everything ready to go and they are more likely to wait until next week where there is nothing.
Nintendo has proven time and again they don't give a shit about this.
I think BK changed to "coming soon" in a promo video/ad or something and it made everyone go nuts.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Over on Smashboards people are still going on about how two more character slots were "preloaded" onto the Smash site, confirming at least two more fighters

Wasn't there someone in this thread who looked into the code and found that this was not actually true?

Thanks

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Over on Smashboards people are still going on about how two more character slots were "preloaded" onto the Smash site, confirming at least two more fighters

Wasn't there someone in this thread who looked into the code and found that this was not actually true?

Thanks
That was an error with updating the site after E3; they added Hero and B&K without replacing two of the placeholder slots.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played the shit out of PSO GCN with friends.

Never got online but it didn't matter. Love that game.

4-player splitscreen was probably the greatest idea they could've had. Just amazing getting friends together to play in the same room.

Thanks

They're probably just counting the "blade" entries that people mistakenly believed was a character codename. It's literally just a divider between currently existing sections. It means nothing for future content.

Status
Not open for further replies.