• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The logic in the video is overall very faulty. He considers Dr Mario its own series for that reason, but not the different Mario sports ones.
I think the most baffling part was the Sonic series seperations. I could understand Sonic R, and Sonic Adventure kinda works in his logic; but Sonic Heroes? Huh? Not the Storybook Series (through Secret Rings and Black Knight music) or Sonic Rush (through the Blaze spirit), but HEROES counts as it's own sub-series?

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
I thought Sonic Heroes was a main series entry. I'm not super familiar with the 3d games, but doesn't it directly follow SA2 and lead to Shadow the Hedgehog?

The datamine back in November of last year showed Spirits for Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps. I know a lot of people speculated about them being a mistake arising from the fact that Nintendo published the games in Japan, but after Banjo and Kazooie I think it's safe to assume we are getting more Rare spirits.
Oh my god, I forgot all about that. Considering they supposedly didn't decide on the DLC until the end of the year, I still think it might've been a mistake. But at this point, it's a very good sign.

I'm getting hype over png images of all things.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I thought Sonic Heroes was a main series entry. I'm not super familiar with the 3d games, but doesn't it directly follow SA2 and lead to Shadow the Hedgehog?
Yes, it's a main series entry (that chronlogically takes place between SA2 and Shadow; you're correct there too); that's why I don't get the logic followed in the video.

He considers Donkey Kong Country and Sonic Adventure spin-offs of the Donkey Kong and Sonic franchises respectively, but the Metroid Prime games are just a part of the Metroid series.

Mar 9, 2018
I would be excited about PNGs if they had made new, original PNGs. Imagine a gallery of spirits drawn in the style of the big fighter mural.

Imagine Spirit Scenes where multiple spirits or fighters cross over! Good idea.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The datamine back in November of last year showed Spirits for Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps. I know a lot of people speculated about them being a mistake arising from the fact that Nintendo published the games in Japan, but after Banjo and Kazooie I think it's safe to assume we are getting more Rare spirits.

I mean, the Devil's Third Spirits haven't shown up either. It could go either way honestly. Seeing how the other Spirits so far have been strictly related to the franchises of the character, it would be weird to randomly get some Rareware spirits.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, I think Sakurai should really take a look back at one of the earliest Smash character polls; the Smash 2 Poll! 1st-6th and 8th (Bowser, Peach, Wario, Dedede, Ganon, Mewtwo and Banjo & Kazooie) have all made it, so how hard could the others be? Going by the Top 20, Sakurai should prioritise the inclusion of:
  • 6th: James Bond (007)
  • 9th: Toad (Super Mario)
  • 10th: Mew (Pokemon)
  • 12th: Mr. Saturn (Mother)
  • 15th: Gooey (Kirby)
  • 16th: Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
  • 19th: Lugia (Pokemon)
Now that's a great newcomer roster if i've ever seen one!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Only one set of ideas for new ATs? Where's the imagination Smash Era?
Oh, I have plenty of new AT ideas:

First-Party
  • Susie (Kirby): Jumps around in the 'Business Suit' (her mech); mimicking her basic attack pattern from her boss fight.
  • Elma (Xenoblade): Appears for a few seconds on the stage before jumping into her Skell and attacking from the background.
  • Lip (Panel de Pon): Use that Mii Costume as a base for the model. Have her drop blocks on the stage or something.
Third-Party
  • Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins): Pretty much acts like his NES self; jumps around and shoots projectiles.
  • Tifa (Final Fantasy VII): Runs around the stage and beats on people with punches and kicks.
  • Geno (Super Mario): Well, if he isn't going to be able playable, he should at least be an Assist Trophy.
  • Creeper (Minecraft): Gets summoned into the stage, and chases down the first opponent it spots, before exploding.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if three houses became the best selling fire emblem by a long shot
but the next non remake fire emblem came out the same year as smash 6 starting dev

what happens

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
KOS-MOS the next Bamco rep y'all
How about her orphan ? First Sony rep.
latest

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade already has a million seller with just the third installement. It took Fire Emblem thirteen games to do that.

Just wait until the Xenoblade mobile gacha!
Mother got two reps and that franchise can't even hold Xenoblade's bag in terms of sales or relevance. Mother gets 90% of it's relevance from being in Smash 64 just like F-Zero.

I thought it was super obvious I was being cheeky, but I guess not, lol.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh, I have plenty of new AT ideas:

First-Party
  • Susie (Kirby): Jumps around in the 'Business Suit' (her mech); mimicking her basic attack pattern from her boss fight.
  • Elma (Xenoblade): Appears for a few seconds on the stage before jumping into her Skell and attacking from the background.
  • Lip (Panel de Pon): Use that Mii Costume as a base for the model. Have her drop blocks on the stage or something.
Third-Party
  • Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins): Pretty much acts like his NES self; jumps around and shoots projectiles.
  • Tifa (Final Fantasy VII): Runs around the stage and beats on people with punches and kicks.
  • Geno (Super Mario): Well, if he isn't going to be able playable, he should at least be an Assist Trophy.
  • Creeper (Minecraft): Gets summoned into the stage, and chases down the first opponent it spots, before exploding.
Why Elma as an Assist Trophy?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
She isn't going to be playable, but I feel like she deserves a bit more than a Spirit. What, would you prefer a Mii Costume like Rex?
If we're talking a future Smash game, we might get Xenoblade X2 between now & the next Smash game. If anything, Elma's long-term chances at becoming playable are a bit better than Rex's.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If we're talking a future Smash game, we might get Xenoblade X2 between now & the next Smash game. If anything, Elma's long-term chances at becoming playable are a bit better than Rex's.
Well, if Xenoblade X2 is next up for Xenoblade (and if it's a direct sequel with the same cast), release timing could screw her chances anyway. There's the posibility of another Xenoblade/Monolith title releasing after it, but still before the next Smash. Those guys work fast enough for that to be feasible.

Get this garbage out of here

Playable Elma or nothing

Ugh
The day people stop seeing Assist Trophies as bad representation will be a great day for the Smash fanbase.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
if three houses became the best selling fire emblem by a long shot
but the next non remake fire emblem came out the same year as smash 6 starting dev

what happens
FE reps in Smash 6:
Marth
Robin
Edelgard
FE17 hero

I'm still all-in on the next game being a soft-reboot with half the cast slashed so that's my guess.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Well, if Xenoblade X2 is next up for Xenoblade (and that it's a direct sequel with the same cast), release timing could screw her chances anyway. There's the posibility of another Xenoblade/Monolith title releasing after it, but still before the next Smash. Those guys work fast enough for that to be feasible.

The day people stop seeing Assist Trophies as bad representation will be a great day for the Smash fanbase.

The day playable Elma gets into Ultimate is the day that Sakurai will have represented each franchise correctly.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, if Xenoblade X2 is next up for Xenoblade (and that it's a direct sequel with the same cast), release timing could screw her chances anyway. There's the posibility of another Xenoblade/Monolith title releasing after it, but still before the next Smash. Those guys work fast enough for that to be feasible.

I think their new IP is next, so whatever Xenoblade project is in the pipeline would likely come after that.

The way XBX ended at least gives Elma's crew a decent chance of being revisited. Rex & Co. don't really have much beyond XB2 being the most successful game in the series so far that could lend to their chances of being revisited.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The day playable Elma gets into Ultimate is the day that Sakurai will have represented each franchise correctly.
Guess that day won't ever come then. Plus, we would at least need Dixie for that to actually be true.

Besides, I was mainly talking about next Smash; I can garuntee you that Elma is done for Ultimate (unless you really think we're getting more beyond the Fighters Pass; then it gets tricky).

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
So, Diddy Kong is objectively best Rare designed character, since he actually shows up in other Nintendo related products a lot, right? Everyone else they own got the boot for a while. With Cranky Kong as a far second I guess.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, Diddy Kong is objectively best Rare designed character, since he actually shows up in other Nintendo related products a lot, right? Everyone else they own got the boot for a while. With Cranky Kong as a far second I guess.
Wouldn't Donkey Kong be the objectively best Rare designed character in this case, since they gave him the design we see everywhere now?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Guess that day won't ever come then. Plus, we would at least need Dixie for that to actually be true.

Besides, I was mainly talking about next Smash; I can garuntee you that Elma is done for Ultimate (unless you really think we're getting more beyond the Fighters Pass; then it gets tricky).
It ultimately comes down to who the most recent Xenoblade protagonist is at the time. And in all likelihood, it'll probably be either someone new entirely or Elma (the former is more likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.