• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 is drawing near; what Smash news are we expecting?

• Challenger Pack 10

Votes: 143 46.6%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Challenger Pack 11

Votes: 104 33.9%
  • Challenger Pack 10 + Volume 3 announcement

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • None of the above; the wait continues...

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
As we are all well aware, Smash never ends on a high note.

So stop getting excited for the next character. If you go in with no expectations then you won't be let down. Being excited for stuff is cringe.
Chosen Undead's a boring dude in a suit of armor whose another sword fighter. Unhype af. Totally the last fighter.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I've braced myself for disappointment so hard that I've come around on Cinderace by a little bit

Is this Stockholm Syndrome?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Crash only spins and he is orange (a horrible color); I dunno; I don't see the appeal.

Kinda sounds like something lame enough to be the last character, tbh

/s

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another video game character, huh? Feels like that's all this crossover can do.

Am I doing it right?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ayumi is just a schoolgirl. So lame.

Someone, somewhere, honestly thinks this.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Kiryu is just some regular dude who smacks people with bicycles. Nothing interesting there /s

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ayumi really has everything going against her.

She's a first-party character
She's a woman
She's "anime"
She's a "literally who" nobody

Four things Smash fans on social media hate most!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely post on here just lurk but I've been a singer for a long time and I have a few tips! Doing some deep breathing exercises to get the most out of your breaths is a good way to not run out too quickly. Just thinking about your breathing during the day and forcing yourself to fill your lungs more helps a lot. The other thing I would suggest would be to try to picture commas and periods when you speak, taking a quick breath when you reach a comma and a longer breath when there is a period. I struggled a lot with rushing while talking which makes this difficult, but practicing it by reading something you're familiar with out loud helps a lot. Hope some of these might help!
Just wanted to say that I'm honoured that you're drop in purely to give me some advice. I'll try it out.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As we are all well aware, Smash never ends on a high note.

So stop getting excited for the next character. If you go in with no expectations then you won't be let down. Being excited for stuff is cringe.
I for one believe this mentality has no basis on fact.

Melee ended on Mr. Game & Watch, a character that is completely flat, literally 2D, and has moves ripped straight out of the Game & Watch games. That's creative as fuck and is definitely a high note to end on!

Brawl's big reveal from the Subspace Emissary that no one saw coming and was not revealed before the game released was R.O.B. as a playable fighter. They turned an ancient NES accessory into a fighting game character. That's a high note if you ask me!

Smash 4's base ended with Duck Hunt, a retro throwback character comprised of a dog and a duck and a moveset that is an amalgamation of the NES lightgun games, and after many retro characters added to Smash in the past, Duck Hunt was definitely a requested character, but a mostly unexpected one. I think that's a pretty high note!

Smash 4's DLC ended with Bayonetta, a character that nobody saw coming, not even the people who voted for her in the Smash Ballot, and had an incredibly polarizing playstyle that broke the rules of Smash. Definite high note!

Ultimate's final base character may have been Incineroar, but the true final reveal was Piranha Plant. No one asked for Piranha Plant, but goddamn was it absolutely hilarious! That's why it was a high note.

I predict Challenger Pack #11 will be a fighter that is mostly unexpected, seemingly never talked about, and will have either an unconventional design (usually not human/human-like), a totally bonkers moveset, or all of the above. That would be a high note to end on!

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your optimism is something else man

Do I do sorta agree with what you're saying

Personally I'm pretty content. I got everyone I wanted...

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Olimar, Shulk, Bayonetta and Piranha Plants were high points for me 🤷‍♀️

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Must release my preconceptions of what a suitable Smash character is, must release my preconceptions of what a suitable Smash character is, must release my preconceptions of what a suitable Smash character is, must release my preconceptions of what a suitable Smash character is,...

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I think Ultimate will be the one with a grand finale no matter what; Previous games didn't have this feel of conclusion, because we could always expect more and better for the next entry.. Ultimate though? It's Special (heh...).. and I think Sakurai/Nintendo knows that.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
See, by "high note", I assume people mean a big mega hype and high profile third party character, like Sora or Crash or Master Chief or what have you. Not so much quirky retro characters or more niche third party ones like Bayonetta.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are few things more boring in life than sitting around watching other people film b-roll footage and being there for the rare moments when they need an extra hand. I can't even come on here and talk about how sick Fighting Nodon Team is going to be and speculating how they will incorporate the square root nodon into the moveset

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The only real, sincere hope I'm carrying with me at this point is "not Cinderace," I'll be honest. Anything else I could imagine will be at least mildly exciting.

and then it turns out we really do get Roblox somehow

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Brawl's newcomer roster was flawless. Olimar was a good spot to end on as any.

But besides that, they always frontload the good shit and I assume we're already past what's supposed to be that point for FP2, so...

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's amazing to think that none of the villains playable in Smash are as evil as David Cage.

Sephiroth is here now, and yet...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
David Cage does sound like the villain in some sort of semi-dark nineties kids' cartoon.

He stands around in the top floor of the Cagetek tower and smirks as he gazes down over the city through his huge glass wall.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Just end the DLC with Bandana Dee. He's a trained warrior, he can take the heat.

EDIT: Disregard whatever ping you just got, Thammy. My bad.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What'd the creepy bastard do this time?
www.resetera.com

Inside the Quantic Dream vs. Le Monde & Mediapart trial following the 2018 reports: "I'm not under oath, so can I lie?" (verdict on July 8th) News

Source: Solidaires Informatique (French workers union) https://solidairesinformatique.org/2021/05/31/quantic-dream-vs-lemonde-mediapart/ Wait, what trial? https://kotaku.com/detroit-developer-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-over-1825453518 Edit June 3rd: Missing a small D. Cage quote. Edit...

EDIT: Disregard whatever ping you just got, Thammy. My bad.
s'okay

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What'd the creepy bastard do this time?
The news is multiple days old, but i'm still reeling from the whole scenario. Quantic Dream suing for deformation and having even more claims against them (and David Cage specfically) come out of the trial.

www.resetera.com

Inside the Quantic Dream vs. Le Monde & Mediapart trial following the 2018 reports: "I'm not under oath, so can I lie?" (verdict on July 8th) News

Source: Solidaires Informatique (French workers union) https://solidairesinformatique.org/2021/05/31/quantic-dream-vs-lemonde-mediapart/ Wait, what trial? https://kotaku.com/detroit-developer-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-over-1825453518 Edit June 3rd: Missing a small D. Cage quote. Edit...

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
ending on Crash would be a sub-Byleth moment for me

That's why he'll be revealed second-to-last in Nintendo's presentation at E3 2021 on June 15th!

I for one believe this mentality has no basis on fact.

Melee ended on Mr. Game & Watch, a character that is completely flat, literally 2D, and has moves ripped straight out of the Game & Watch games. That's creative as fuck and is definitely a high note to end on!

Brawl's big reveal from the Subspace Emissary that no one saw coming and was not revealed before the game released was R.O.B. as a playable fighter. They turned an ancient NES accessory into a fighting game character. That's a high note if you ask me!

Smash 4's base ended with Duck Hunt, a retro throwback character comprised of a dog and a duck and a moveset that is an amalgamation of the NES lightgun games, and after many retro characters added to Smash in the past, Duck Hunt was definitely a requested character, but a mostly unexpected one. I think that's a pretty high note!

Smash 4's DLC ended with Bayonetta, a character that nobody saw coming, not even the people who voted for her in the Smash Ballot, and had an incredibly polarizing playstyle that broke the rules of Smash. Definite high note!

Ultimate's final base character may have been Incineroar, but the true final reveal was Piranha Plant. No one asked for Piranha Plant, but goddamn was it absolutely hilarious! That's why it was a high note.

I predict Challenger Pack #11 will be a fighter that is mostly unexpected, seemingly never talked about, and will have either an unconventional design (usually not human/human-like), a totally bonkers moveset, or all of the above. That would be a high note to end on!

Great post, was just thinking about this the other day! The final pre-release reveal may be viewed as underwhelming after the good shit was front-loaded (which... Pikmin and Xenoblade were two of my most wanted series in Brawl and Smash 4, so Olimar and Shulk were def hype for me!), but the actual intended final newcomer for each game's usually been intended as an oddball surprise.

Smash is at its best when translating real strange concepts into characters, so someone like that ending Ultimate's DLC would be the opposite of an underwhelming finale for me!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FP1's third and fourth characters were cool but surrounded by stank, and FP2's third and fourth are fucking lame with their predecessors being gucci, so naturally we're in for a good haul with the last two characters.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is Quantic Dream suing for deformation or defamation?
Defamation. They were essentially asserting that reports among them were fraudulent, but the problem with that lawsuit is that they weren't fraudulent whatsoever. Normally I'd think that kind of lawsuit is a bullying tactic, maybe meant to abuse the fact that the legal process is expensive and so use wealth to one's advantage, but the heads of Quantic Dream honestly just seem to live in another reality where they have no idea what laws are or what they do.

Last year they were outright lying to Dean Takahashi about what questions the journalists had been asking them and what the judge had said in court, which is verifiable when you look at the earlier French reports regarding the case as well as when the journalists provided their own list of the questions.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The bravest move would be to end even a DLC pass on a screwball character like Plant or ROB. This is Tetromino's time to shine.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
FP1's third and fourth characters were cool but surrounded by stank, and FP2's third and fourth are fucking lame with their predecessors being gucci, so naturally we're in for a good haul with the last two characters.
I didn't know you liked Steve more than Sephiroth.

Defamation. They were asserting that reports among them were fraudulent, but the problem with that lawsuit is that they weren't fraudulent whatsoever. Normally I'd think that kind of lawsuit is a bullying tactic, maybe meant to abuse the fact that the legal process is expensive and so use wealth to one's advantage, but the heads of Quantic Dream honestly just seem to live in another reality where they have no idea what laws are or what they do.
Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.