• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing tops Hit-err "Master D's" exploding head in Bionic Commando.

I was more thinking of the religious imagery present in Castlevania. Nintendo was really strict about not wanting religious imagery in their games at the time. It was very different from the Nintendo of today where they proudly advertise Shin Megami Tensei games.

GimeC

Sep 2, 2020
How would Zagreus in Smash work? Do you get random boons the longer you stay alive making you stronger and you reset to default moves when you lose a stock?
Ah this is a great idea. I could imagine Down B being an "Accept Boon" button ala Shulk's Arts. Maybe after dealing a certain amount of damage you get to choose from 2-3 boons.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happy holidays all. I hope you all got what you wanted.

Yeah and that's all it's really had since Brawl.

It also doesn't have any new arrangements.
I'd rather have the originals over the arrangements. Just look at what happened for Theme of Solid Snake and Wii Sports Title Screen, those got new remixes in Ultimate so they removed the rips that were in previous Smash games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was more thinking of the religious imagery present in Castlevania. Nintendo was really strict about not wanting religious imagery in their games at the time. It was very different from the Nintendo of today where they proudly advertise Shin Megami Tensei games.
I get yah, it was just another "how'd that get past the censors' moment I could think of.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The subweapons were renamed so that they wouldn't be considered religious iconography. The Cross became the Boomerang and the Holy Water became the Fire Bomb.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just assume Castlevania got away with it because a story about Dracula would be weird if you swapped actual religious icons for store-brand.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Final Fantasy spell "Holy" couldn't even be called that in those old games. It was a very strange era.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo somehow allowed Monster Party to have this in the western release:

MonsterParty51.png

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I got Yakuza: Like a Dragon and the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch for Christmas. The really amusing thing is that somehow, despite apparently being a Wal-Mart order, it's the Japanese G&W, so the packing is in Japanese, has the Japanese CERO rating, and Super Mario Bros. 2 instead of The Lost Levels.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I got Yakuza: Like a Dragon and the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch for Christmas. The really amusing thing is that somehow, despite apparently being a Wal-Mart order, it's the Japanese G&W, so the packing is in Japanese, has the Japanese CERO rating, and Super Mario Bros. 2 instead of The Lost Levels.

Yakuza 7 was so good. It was my GOTY.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The more i think about it, if we get MH in the game - i would Monster Hunter's Wirebug to be a directional Up-B like Sephiroth in that you can alter the direction of the wirebug signifcantly to the point you can use it horziontally.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Don't you have to confess your sins in church to save in older Dragon Quest games?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of religion, we have to remember Christmas is not just about Father Christmas, the presents and bad festive movies, but remembering that it's also someone's birthday. No, not Yukiho Hagiwara's; that was yesterday. I'm talking about the Lord's of course. Haruka remembered. Did your favourite Smash hopeful?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since there was a bit of talk about Christmasy costumes, bit strange they edited Rosalina's fire outfit so it has pink details rather than white, otherwise it would have been a perfect outfit for Christmas Smash.
The white and red color is a better Christmas color (and a better Fire color too, if you ask me.)

main8.png

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Birdie some recs from me for some uses of eshop monies:

Katamari Damacy ($10)
Gorogoa ($5)
Child of Light ($5)
Yoku's Island Express ($5)
Donut County ($4)
Bloodstained RoTN ($16)
Okami HD ($10)
VA-11 Hall-A ($10)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I think I remember people mentioning before that Sonic's music selection in this game is bad. ?!?!? It's probably got one of the best of any franchise in Smash. Green Hill Zone, Sonic Boom, Super Sonic Racing, Open Your Heart, Live & Learn and Seven Rings In Hand.
It's bad because most of the music is just theme songs with very little in the way of stage music, and with two Green Hill-esque stages, you would think they would put it some more Green Hill-esque themes like Palmtree Panic, Emerald Coast, anything from Sonic Advance, etc. It's just really lacking in stage music. I like the theme songs, but they're massively overplayed, and that's all anyone ever thinks about when it comes to Sonic music discussion. Case in point, the examples you listed are the theme songs which were the first tracks that came to mind.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's bad because most of the music is just theme songs with very little in the way of stage music, and with two Green Hill-esque stages, you would think they would put it some more Green Hill-esque themes like Palmtree Panic, Emerald Coast, anything from Sonic Advance, etc. It's just really lacking in stage music. I like the theme songs, but they're massively overplayed, and that's all anyone ever thinks about when it comes to Sonic music discussion. Case in point, the examples you listed are the theme songs which were the first tracks that came to mind.
That's why the songs are so popular though, because they're good.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Hades is so good. I literally played it for 8 hours yesterday when I was only intending to for like 2. I'm garbage at it, haven't beaten Hades even though I'm on my 23rd run.

That being said, Zag in Smash would be cool but I know it would absolutely never happen especially right now.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Hades is so good. I literally played it for 8 hours yesterday when I was only intending to for like 2. I'm garbage at it, haven't beaten Hades even though I'm on my 23rd run.

That being said, Zag in Smash would be cool but I know it would absolutely never happen especially right now.
Yeah while Zag would be great he just doesn't make much sense as a potential indie rep given the timeframes and everything

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Correct, though DMC4:SE on Switch is more of a when than an if at this point.
I don't think that Nintendo chooses characters if they appear on their console or not though.. I mean, obviously the majority yes, but look at Joker, mainly a Playstation character, or even Snake.. heck, Master Chief is rumoured to be featured in the pass, and Halo's never going to show on Nintendo consoles.
They just picks character for three factors: Marketing for their future or current games, nostalgia, shock value/popularity. That's why people expect to see everyone, lol

i want kratos

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, the Mario Game & Watch is really cool. The obvious difference of playing a full NES game on the device aside, the look and feel is a perfect recreation of the Game & Watch games from the '80s.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the Pokemon Company strict against depicting pokemon attacking humans? Is Smash a rare exception?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think that Nintendo chooses characters if they appear on their console or not though.. I mean, obviously the majority yes, but look at Joker, mainly a Playstation character, or even Snake.. heck, Master Chief is rumoured to be featured in the pass, and Halo's never going to show on Nintendo consoles.
They just picks character for three factors: Marketing for their future or current games, nostalgia, shock value/popularity. That's why people expect to see everyone, lol

i want kratos
Though they've all at least appeared on a Nintendo system at least once. Granted, it's more of a courtesy than an outright rule. But they've yet to stray from it, even if the likes of Joker stretched it to the limit.

As for Master Chief, I don't recall any credible rumors pointing towards his inclusion. I'm pretty sure we would have discussed it if there were any.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
If you believe "Console Wars", Castlevania 1 used a completely uncensored and possibly even punched up localization proposal, "Dracula's Satanic Castle", to soften Nintendo up.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Video games have a distinct lack of metal, so I'll take it whenever I can =D F-Zero and Sonic pretty much doing all the lifting there for Smash.
Not trying to take anything away. The Sonic main themes are iconic and have earned their fame. They're great songs. I just want more variety in its Smash representation because there is so much it could have. Sonic music isn't tied to one or two genres. It's not just vocal tracks. It has so much more, and anyone who was unfamiliar with Sonic music before Smash would have a bigger pool of songs to judge from instead of thinking that that's all Sonic can offer.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the Pokemon Company strict against depicting pokemon attacking humans? Is Smash a rare exception?

I think it might have been a policy at some specific point (in the Best Wishes anime there was an episode where it was directly stated Pokemon would never attack humans, even though that contradicts a lot of stuff from the anime itself), but they dropped it. XY came right afterwards and had some episodes where wild Pokemon attacked people and everyone acted like it was natural.

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I think it might have been a policy at some specific point (I remember in the Best Wishes anime there was an episode where it was directly stated Pokemon would never attack humans, even though that directly contradicts a lot of stuff from the anime itself),
Weird, it also directly contradicts Black and White 2. Considering
Kyurem was about to attack the MC.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Slow to the punch, but where did the Min Min controversy come from? She's not getting the competitive results to warrant it, especially in the west.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Slow to the punch, but where did the Min Min controversy come from? She's not getting the competitive results to warrant it, especially in the west.
I know Japanese players consider her to be really good, but I thought the West didn't catch on yet. That said, most seem to agree that she's at least solid.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Weird, it also directly contradicts Black and White 2. Considering
Kyurem was about to attack the MC.

To be fair, Kyurem was being controlled by Ghetis who was completely done with your shit at this point.

Yeah, it specifically comes up in the anime in a story where Team Plasma is making some experiment with EM waves that make Pokemon more aggressive, so Ash's group stumbles on some pretty aggressive Amoonguss. They beat them with their own Pokemon, but the oddity is that the characters then start talking about how something is wrong because Pokemon aren't suppose to attack humans and even take them to the Pokecenter for treatment. This leads them to discovering the Team Plasma plot. So, the basis of the whole story is that there must be something wrong if wild Pokemon are attacking humans, which really felt off.

Last edited:

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
literally every japanese tournament right now both online and off has had at least one min min (a lot of times multiple) top 8 or end up winning. her playstyle is so hated by the jp community vods get dislike bombed for whatever weird reason. maybe not top tier but shes stupid as fuck thats for sure
multiple american top players are playing her now and doing really well so its not like shes struggling for representation

Status
Not open for further replies.