• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Terry is very different of Ryu and Ken; having similar gimmicks means little, is like comparing Little Mac with Cloud or Joker because of a meter that feels when dealing damage.

Heihachi or Sol would also bring a lot for Smash and wouldn't be comparable to the existing fighting game characters in the game.
The problem isn't fighting game characters in comparison to each other. The problem is how they're interpreted in Smash compared to their home games. Their animations, movesets, poses, etc. are all trying to emulate the home games as close as they can and while there is a charm to that, I find it incredibly boring.

Contrast Hero and Byleth where almost everything about them is either brand new or reinterpretated into something different from how it was in the original game.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yet you manage to just leave Desperation mechanic out which made him even more fun and intense when Terry got 100% or higher.
The point of my post was focusing on why people see potential fighting game reps as the same so of course I only focus on what's the same. I even say at the end of the paragraph this would only be a guess of some of their mechanics. And then I finally conclude with the flaws of this thinking.

Exactly. The comparison that BGBW just did was just argued in bad faith.
As I suspected, you misinterpreted my post.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Along with dedicated forward and back specials and attacking out of his spot dodge. He actually brings a lot of new stuff to Smash.

Exactly.

If we get Tekken character. I do wonder if they would have weird button combo that would allows them to do different moves? I can see why Sakurai probably chose to excluded them because it's probably too hard for casual players.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

If we get Tekken character. I do wonder if they would have weird button combo that would allows them to do different moves? I can see why Sakurai probably chose to excluded them because it's probably too hard for casual players.
I could see Marth's Dancing Blade mechanic (directional variation) applying to Heihachi's jab and side tilt strings. There could also be separate branches if you initiate the combos by tapping or holding A.

I could also see him being able to perform Electric Wind God Fist and Spinning Demon out of his forward dodge.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Mechanics I think would be dope from a character like Heihachi:
-Just frame uppercut
-While rising attack modifier
-Some kind of unblockable with the sparkly effect
-Spot dodge working slightly differently

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm making a list now for the thread.

I just have a question, can someone remind me what the latest aproximent date was for when FP2 characters were decided by? Was it last June or last October?

Also, am I allowed to write "Slot Reserved for (announced switch title name) character?" as I'm pretty sure what the game will be, but not the character due to lack of any promotional material.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Funny to think that among all the Mario and Zelda stages, none are tourney legal and thus their vast reservoir of music is unheard on a competitive stage, you'd never know what you were gonna get with a Mario stage!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny to think that among all the Mario and Zelda stages, none are tourney legal and thus their vast reservoir of music is unheard on a competitive stage, you'd never know what you were gonna get with a Mario stage!

I just realized, Forest Maze will escape the Square Music curse by virtue of being a Mario stage.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Geno fans - please push for something that isn't the Forest Maze for a stage suggestion.

Bowser's Keep, Booster's Tower, the Weapon's Factory. There's so many other potentially interesting locations that aren't 'simple forest with some stumps'.

Unless you're really desperate for a gimmick where an arrow lands on a face button, disabling it for everyone.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that one article by Sakurai reminds me of how really weird it is that we have entirely different terminologies for mechanics than from his.

By "histop" I assume he probably means "freeze frames", as we call it. Sakurai says "strong attacks" while we say "tilts". He also called L-canceling "smooth landing" during the Smash 64 era, and even brought back that term back for that one piece of equipment in Smash 4.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The problem isn't fighting game characters in comparison to each other. The problem is how they're interpreted in Smash compared to their home games. Their animations, movesets, poses, etc. are all trying to emulate the home games as close as they can and while there is a charm to that, I find it incredibly boring.

Contrast Hero and Byleth where almost everything about them is either brand new or reinterpretated into something different from how it was in the original game.
That's a particular aspect that doesn't click with you, and that's fine. But I do love to see 1:1 recreations in Smash, .. one thing I love about some characters like Mega Man, Sonic or K. Rool acting like their old sprites. Heck, people love to gush about Joker's Final Smash and Victory Screen as well ~

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Geno fans - please push for something that isn't the Forest Maze for a stage suggestion.

Bowser's Keep, Booster's Tower, the Weapon's Factory. There's so many other potentially interesting locations that aren't 'simple forest with some stumps'.

Unless you're really desperate for a gimmick where an arrow lands on a face button, disabling it for everyone.

I went with Forest Maze in the prediction thread since it seems the most likely, but I think Bowser's Keep is the best case scenario. It gives Bowser a stage that isn't 1/3 of Paper Mario, and having the big ol' sword crash down at the 1:00 mark or something would keep things pretty interesting. That or a transition through various rooms, so we can fight on the chandeliers.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

I want Bowser's Keep, but we all know Sakurai will foolishly go for Forest Maze.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, that *would* be a neat gimmick.

But yeah, for the DLC stages so far, three of them are kind of "Woodsy" so I would hope Forest Maze wouldn't get the nod. Bowser's Keep would be ideal, since it makes no sense that we haven't had an actual Bowser's Castle stage. If it weren't either of those, I'd kind of like Star Hill. I don't think there's a good gimmick for it, but it just looks really cool.

On a side note, if SE gets singy with the SMRPG music, Forest Maze, Bowser's Keep, and Star Hill could still come with mainline Mario music appropriate for those locations.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ness players are truly the worst.
Just so you know Weiss before you commit to that little git.

(seriously though, I'm sitting here like "well, I deserved that", I basically never teabag but after thinking I'd won the third round against a Ness using villainous 2 stock and copious amounts of PK fire, I dropped two who little belmont bags of victory, only to realise it was now on my three stock rules and I got gimped by the dangling yo-yo, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, why did I bag, WHY DID I BAG?!)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We got Spiral Mountain, we're gonna get Forest Maze.

Even if Bowser's Castle would be best.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that one article by Sakurai reminds me of how really weird it is that we have entirely different terminologies for mechanics than from his.

By "histop" I assume he probably means "freeze frames", as we call it. Sakurai says "strong attacks" while we say "tilts". He also called L-canceling "smooth landing" during the Smash 64 era, and even brought back that term back for that one piece of equipment in Smash 4.
Strong attack has been the official denomination for Tilts ever since Smash 64. I don't know why the community decided to ignore it since the beginning.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The hypothetical Super Mario RPG stage would most likely be Bowser's Keep. It's the game's most representative location, appearing on both the American and Japanese boxes and in the game's title screen.

79SQdLU.jpg

XgV1FZ9.jpg

cZ2QTvo.png

It even looks like a Smash stage as-is, and it's easy to imagine Exor crashing down and dividing the castle.
We got Spiral Mountain, we're gonna get Forest Maze.
What's the connection? Spiral Mountain is the iconic and recurring starting area/hub world of the Banjo-Kazooie series. Forest Maze has good music, but it's just a random area of the game. You don't start there or even spend a lot of time there.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Strong attack has been the official denomination for Tilts ever since Smash 64. I don't know why the community decided to ignore it since the beginning.
The Smash community has made some very questionable naming choices, if I recall right. Wasn't there some technique with fuck in the name or something like that?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that I think about it the image of Exor sticking out of Bowser's Castle is the face of SMRPG, so I think it could go either way since Sakurai seems to like going with the earliest point of entry in a game for a stage.

Ness players are truly the worst.
Just so you know Weiss before you commit to that little git.

(seriously though, I'm sitting here like "well, I deserved that", I basically never teabag but after thinking I'd won the third round against a Ness using villainous 2 stock and copious amounts of PK fire, I dropped two who little belmont bags of victory, only to realise it was now on my three stock rules and I got gimped by the dangling yo-yo, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, why did I bag, WHY DID I BAG?!)

Hey I just beat a Ness as Simon an hour ago. No teabagging though.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think "strong attack" just sounds too generic. I get that it's supposed to be strong in relative to neutral attacks, but still.

I just think tilts makes more sense because that's what they essentially, weaker (in relative to Smash attacks) moves that are used for spacing and racking up damage quicker that are utilized by tilting the control stick in a direction. But that's just me.

The Smash community has made some very questionable naming choices, if I recall right. Wasn't there some technique with fuck in the name or something like that?

You mean sex kick?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sakurai using Beware the Forest's Mushrooms for the Geno Mii Costume announcement (and that track likely being cut from Brawl) is all I need to know that Sakurai will probably go for Forest Maze.

I just want to fight on chandeliers in Bowser's Keep though.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling what helped Geno's popularity were those old Rawest Forest music vids...the ones that were made by You-Know-Who.

I dunno, I think when people think of Geno, they think of Forest Maze. I'd imagine Sakurai probably sees that considering as MondoMega pointed out, it played during the announcement of Geno's Mii outfit.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yo, Frostbite hasn't even hit top 8 yet, and it's been hype as hell.

I'm looking forward to seeing if MKLeo can pull off another crazy losers run like he did at Evo.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I usually say a Time Twister Machine stage (that changes like Castle Siege) for Crash, but I'm 101% aware they'd go with N. Sanity Beach (not even the whole N. Sanity Island).. but I can live :p

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai using Beware the Forest's Mushrooms for the Geno Mii Costume announcement (and that track likely being cut from Brawl) is all I need to know that Sakurai will probably go for Forest Maze.
It's kind of funny that people forget Geno actually has a theme, which is the extended version of the 'get a star piece' theme:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who you're talking about even if the video is familiar to me.

Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi, the guy who then made Brawl Taunts with Kira "Rina Chan" Buckland (who went on to voice 2B!) and then was revealed to be a terrible human being behind the scenes.

He was actually this close getting into Smash Bros. because he was the original VA for male Byleth, but then he broke NDA and got replaced as a result.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of love the stupid names given to moves and combos. Its kind of charming to have fan made terminology that are really wacky.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Maybe Bowser's Keep for a hypothetical Geno stage, but Forest Mushrooms is one of the songs that comes with Geno?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I never heard of Toast and now I'm a fan.
Yeah, his Young Link is great. I remember that people were hyping that character up when Ultimate first launched, but it's not very often that we see someone putting in that much work with him.

Also, I love that Tweek has been using Pokemon Trainer here. It's SOOOOOO much more fun to watch than Wario.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible Ultimate tournament going on at Frostbite 2020. Mega stacked at 1280 entrants; top 8 has a Sonic and Young Link player. The latter just wrapped up a set against Light (best Fox player) which is one of the best Ultimate sets so far.

www.twitch.tv

VGBootCamp - Twitch

Headed by GimR & Aposl, Video Game Boot Camp is the leading Broadcaster for competitive Super Smash Bros. VGBC started in late 2008 when the Smash Community was much smaller. Through hard work & the support of the community we helped propel Smash into the scene it is today! Learn. Play. Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.