• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, do I even need to point out why this is an absurd suggestion? Because it should be pretty obvious.

A character whose only role is in a video game?

I think Dixie would work best as a semi-clone. I'm not sure she can be an echo fighter with her hair mechanic. The basic idea for an echo fighter is they could pass for an alt costume but have become a full fledged fighter (this is what happened to Lucina and Dark Pit). I don't think you could do justice to her hair attacks without being at least an Isabelle-level clone.

I'd love a Kumatora echo fighter though. I'd actually play as her over Lucas.

I didn't think Kumatora would feel right as an Echo Fighter until I saw the mod, all I'd need is PK Ground and I'd be golden.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Just curious but wouldn't Ken and Snake be the only depictions of white American males? And they were still created by Japanese developers. Not sure if any of the other characters fall into this category as well.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
One of the biggest issues is that there really aren't a lot of historic women of color in video game rosters; it's only been in the last few years with the rise in multiplayer character-based games (i.e., Overwatch, League of Legends) that we've seen that happen. Nintendo has been decent about adding in nonwhite playable character options for games like Splatoon, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, but even then most of their series have either had fairly stagnant rosters for a while (Mario especially, most grievously felt in the spinoffs like Paper Mario that used to have a wide array of characters across species types of multiple genders) or the human characters aren't even the focus (like...Pokemon and Animal Crossing).

There are still a lot of opportunities for new characters. Overwatch would be a left-field pull that would be well in keeping with the DLC strategy of Ultimate. Shantae was a popular choice in the DLC polls and while I'm not a huge fan of the way they've tried to stylize her more like a pinup model I think the team could make her work well in a Smash context. Urbosa from BOTW was a delightful character I'm pretty disappointed isn't available to play as in Smash. They could fix this is if they gave a shit.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I think Dixie would work best as a semi-clone. I'm not sure she can be an echo fighter with her hair mechanic. The basic idea for an echo fighter is they could pass for an alt costume but have become a full fledged fighter (this is what happened to Lucina and Dark Pit). I don't think you could do justice to her hair attacks without being at least an Isabelle-level clone.

I'd love a Kumatora echo fighter though. I'd actually play as her over Lucas.
Dixie would be great, even as an echo or semi-clone of Diddy but with Donkey Kong's Up+B, since I can't for the life of me get his shitty jetpack to work. Chrom using Aether really got me expecting they'd give us exactly that.

And yeah I dunno bout you, but I see a ton of Ness and Lucas players online, so providing more options (even if it doesn't change the gameplay) would be a big hit.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
play-arts-kai-final-fantasy-vii-remake-no2-barret-wallace-D_NQ_NP_982395-MLM25726808696_072017-F.jpg

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious but wouldn't Ken and Snake be the only depictions of white American males? And they were still created by Japanese developers. Not sure if any of the other characters fall into this category as well.

So far it's Ken (even he's 3/4 Japanese who like to dye his hairs blonde), Snake, Terry and Little Mac.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just my opinion but I'm honestly not sure Shantae's design would pass CERO as a full 3D model with that uh, exposed chest.

We could get into the implications of WayForward saying she was "about 16" but that's another bag of cats.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
A character whose only role is in a video game?
It's pretty much the same as digging up some characters that are only in Dragon Ball video games. Yeah, they originated in a game but why on earth would a spin-off of a much larger franchise (and not even a gaming one at that) even be remotely considered for Smash? As is, all of the third-parties are famous Japanese gaming icons, asking for a character from a Walking Dead spin-off doesn't make a lick of sense.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much the same as digging up some characters that are only in Dragon Ball video games. Yeah, they originated in a game but why on earth would a spin-off of a much larger franchise (and not even a gaming one at that) even be remotely considered for Smash? As is, all of the third-parties are famous Japanese gaming icons, asking for a character from a Walking Dead spin-off doesn't make a lick of sense.

But Clementine is really, really popular elsewhere, and her games were critical darlings. She even has a pinball game!

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Barret can't even make it into Dissidia, he won't make it into Smash.
I figured this time around, SE would be a little more open to putting stuff in and we'd have a Barret Mii Gunner costume, with a spirit battle on the Spirit Tracks stage.

Does Eagleland count as America?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
One of the biggest issues is that there really aren't a lot of historic women of color in video game rosters; it's only been in the last few years with the rise in multiplayer character-based games (i.e., Overwatch, League of Legends) that we've seen that happen. Nintendo has been decent about adding in nonwhite playable character options for games like Splatoon, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, but even then most of their series have either had fairly stagnant rosters for a while (Mario especially, most grievously felt in the spinoffs like Paper Mario that used to have a wide array of characters across species types of multiple genders) or the human characters aren't even the focus (like...Pokemon and Animal Crossing).

There are still a lot of opportunities for new characters. Overwatch would be a left-field pull that would be well in keeping with the DLC strategy of Ultimate. Shantae was a popular choice in the DLC polls and while I'm not a huge fan of the way they've tried to stylize her more like a pinup model I think the team could make her work well in a Smash context. Urbosa from BOTW was a delightful character I'm pretty disappointed isn't available to play as in Smash. They could fix this is if they gave a shit.

Not saying they give a shit because they clearly don't, but I don't know why you singled out Urbosa when she's a minor supporting character who mainly appears in a few cutscenes in BOTW. She's far away from the typical characters they add in Smash. Elma, Impa or even Twintelle would have made more sense if we're looking at dark skinned women from Nintendo's roster.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Do you understand how eye-rolling it is to ask for women and the response be "but we have crocodile"
There are female characters to play, but just not as much as you would like, so I can understand if that's your preference. I just don't see how it's problematic to the OP. What games wouldn't be problematic?

Oct 25, 2017
There are female characters to play, but just not as much as you would like, so I can understand if that's your preference. I just don't see how it's problematic to the OP. What games wouldn't be problematic?

If there is underrepresentation, then that itself would be problematic. I'm also not only concerned with the number of women but also how much work goes into making them.

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying they give a shit because they clearly don't, but I don't know why you singled out Urbosa when she's a minor supporting character who mainly appears in a few cutscenes in BOTW. She's far away from the typical characters they add in Smash. Elma, Impa or even Twintelle would have made more sense if we're looking at dark skinned women from Nintendo's roster.

She's a major supporting character actually

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sakurai: *Puts in not only Joker but the entire Phantom Thieves in the game and the stage, including all their Japanese and English Voice Actors to record lines.*

Sakurai: *Creates 4 models to depict the main characters of 4 Dragon Quest games, including Voice Actors, gives them the most amount of special moves in the game*

Sakurai: *Works with Microsoft to get Banjo-Kazooie in the game, works with the original composer of BK to make sure the iconic music is in the stage.*

Random people on the internet: Lazy devs.

Lmao. Imagine missing rhe point this badly.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
She's a major supporting character actually

I don't really agree since you can clear all four of the main dungeons and get to Ganon without barely seeing any (all?) of her cutscenes. The Champions are basically fluff in BOTW and none of them stand out over the other.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't find a real problem with it, but it does show how much domination male leads have in the industry's history. This is also probably a factor when considering DLC characters, because most of the well known acts are male.

Personally wanted Fio in there.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
While it's not Nintendo's fault, it's definitely indicative of a problem with the industry as a whole over the past 40+ years. It's a shame that it's taken so long for the industry to become more inclusive and improving representation in their games. My hope is that eventually we'll see more iconic video game characters that are diverse. Doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't have white iconic characters, just that it'd be nice to see some diverse characters rise up and become as iconic.

I definitely think it's problematic that Smash's roster is so homogenous, but I also understand that it's not solely Nintendo's fault, but it is a bit of a indictment of the industry's history at large when it comes to representation. With that said, Nintendo is honestly the last publisher that pops into mind when I think of inclusivity and diversity. I'm hoping they make better strides in that area going forward. Many of their contemporaries already boast quite the diverse lineup of characters that are, in their own right, becoming fairly well recognized. It's a shame PlayStation All Stars never found its footing. It was a fun game, with fun combat, but lacked 3rd party support and budget to really be as strong as it could have been.

OP
OP

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Sakurai: *Puts in not only Joker but the entire Phantom Thieves in the game and the stage, including all their Japanese and English Voice Actors to record lines.*

Sakurai: *Creates 4 models to depict the main characters of 4 Dragon Quest games, including Voice Actors, gives them the most amount of special moves in the game*

Sakurai: *Works with Microsoft to get Banjo-Kazooie in the game, works with the original composer of BK to make sure the iconic music is in the stage.*

Random people on the internet: Lazy devs.
Who is calling them lazy? Absolutely nobody here is.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
While it's not Nintendo's fault, it's definitely indicative of a problem with the industry as a whole over the past 40+ years. It's a shame that it's taken so long for the industry to become more inclusive and improving representation in their games. My hope is that eventually we'll see more iconic video game characters that are diverse. Doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't have white iconic characters, just that it'd be nice to see some diverse characters rise up and become as iconic.

I definitely think it's problematic that Smash's roster is so homogenous, but I also understand that it's not solely Nintendo's fault, but it is a bit of a indictment of the industry's history at large when it comes to representation. With that said, Nintendo is honestly the last publisher that pops into mind when I think of inclusivity and diversity. I'm hoping they make better strides in that area going forward. Many of their contemporaries already boast quite the diverse lineup of characters that are, in their own right, becoming fairly well recognized. It's a shame PlayStation All Stars never found its footing. It was a fun game, with fun combat, but lacked 3rd party support and budget to really be as strong as it could have been.

Yeah, I do think Nintendo actually worked on those issues as their characters designs with Splatoon, Splatoon 2, Splatoon 2 DLC, Arms, Animal Crossing, Ring Con Trainer, etc were more diverse than before. So I think we could see more diverse characters out of them in the future.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I'd always found that "Japanese characters with Eurocentric features thing" super weird. Like if other races did that it would be way more controversial. Like they can make a character with blonde hair and blue eyes and still say they're Japanese. No one else could get away with that lol

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'd always found that "Japanese characters with Eurocentric features thing" super weird. Like if other races did that it would be way more controversial. Like they can make a character with blonde hair and blue eyes and still say they're Japanese. No one else could get away with that lol
A lot of the time they just say they're half American which also means white.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

This is a complicated topic but this is a decent summary of it:

But I do believe it also has to do with the Japanese history of whitewashing and colorism at least in part. But generally speaking in Japanese art there is less focus on distinguishing a Japanese character with specific physical features.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
When other characters can have say, pink hair and red eyes, I don't think that matters at all.

Anime hair colors don't care.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo is far from the last publisher I'd think of as far as inclusivity/diversity, even if I wouldn't call them the first. Going with the female Inkling as the main variant in Splatoon was a stroke of confidence, even more so having both Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion feature black characters as the cover characters, as well as including a black character as one of the two main presenters. ARMS also has an incredibly rich and varied cast, Xenoblade X generally featured a black woman as its ostensible main protagonist, Breath of the Wild finally put one of its only middle-eastern analogue races in a way more positive light, on top of turning a character of said race into one of the four deuteragonists, they made the Ring Fit protagonist black, Animal Crossing has gotten more inclusive with its representation of PoCs, etc. Oh and who can forget Pokémon, that arguably has some of the most diverse character designs in entirety of gaming.

To say Nintendo aren't making better strides is selling them short, perhaps the only thing that really isn't making said progress evident being that they don't really talk or highlight themselves and the "value" they place in their representation, as they just treat it more as a matter of fact. That and I guess not putting some characters into Smash, but there's a lot more nuance to that situation.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I've been looking at the roster recently, and with the addition of Terry, it really makes me realize how terrible the roster is when it comes to diversity.

On top of that, just how many white males are on the roster, and then how many of them have blue eyes or blonde hair.

Does anybody else find this a bit....problamatic? It's one of the biggest games in the world and it doesnt have a single person of color in the cast whilst having plenty of white/white-passing fighters.

Because a lot of those don't have ethnicities.

Like Cloud isn't seen as a white guy in Japan. He's seen as Japanese same with a lot of the Fire Emblem characters.

They're not actually white just anime.

Then why are so many of them blonde hair and blue eyed?

If Japanese designers are capable of making eurocentric male characters, why arent they capable of making women of color or even just fighters with darker skin tones?

I mean you already know the answer. It's harder to sell those types of characters to their main audience when Japan is pretty racist.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find claiming the FE characters are Asian weird when the whole series is blatantly themed around European style fantasy and Fates straight up has a Japanese analogue.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
I believe it has more to do with the time period where most of the characters were created, 30 years ago diversity in media was not as widespread as it is today.

Can it be fixed? yes, but it will take some time.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that a woman poc who's the most recurring character featured in every mainline game and majority of spin-offs for one of the biggest video game series of all time hasn't been mentioned once in this thread.

latest

Behold, Bella Goth of The Sims.