• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The people have spoken, and they want Xenoblade characters.

Aside from that, I agree that we've largely exhausted the supply of good Nintendo characters. And good third party characters as well. There aren't really any other characters at all I really want anymore.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Like I mentioned in the DLC thread, I expect the entire fighter pass to be third party characters. I'm okay with it since there aren't a lot of big Nintendo characters left that aren't represented in some form already.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the actual statement lean more towards that smash is no longer just a character cross over punch up first, now it's unique style of platform fighter gameplay is what he feels defines it first and foremost?

That said I expect dlc to be a third party fest but I don't think the statement reads quite as "third party wooooo!" As some think

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would trade all third party characters for more deep cuts from Nintendo's history. But it's not like third party characters are a deal breaker, so I'll take it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

The very first DLC character, Joker, is proof of that. His strong history to Nintendo is very evident. There's uh... that one spin-off game that just came out in Japan like a couple weeks ago? Very strong ties indeed.
And yes I am aware that the MegaTen series has been on Nintendo platforms forever, but they're specifically marketing it as Smash x Persona 5, not as Smash x SMT/Persona

I said most not all. Most of the characters so far have a long history with Nintendo platforms. Even someone like cloud who has no history on Nintendo platforms represents a franchise who does.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Arms has sold better then the entire mother franchise.
I don't think sales is the only criteria by which this should be judged, and looking back at when characters were introduced, neither do Nintendo.

Also none of the Mother games were released internationally, and the market as a whole is bigger these days.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right? Buncha lame suggestions asking for more human characters with swords and guns. Amaterasu would be amazing.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash is a celebration of Japanese video game characters.

Fixed it for you as Diddy Kong is currently the only western playable characters with the other being either spirits or assist trophy. I will never understand why Shovel Knight wasn't a playable character. We could have easily gone without Chorm

That's been obvious since the Smash 4 DLC being so 3rd party heavy. Now I'm expecting Smash Ultimate DLC to be entirely 3rd parties. The Nintendo All Stars aspect was one of the things I loved most about Smash so hearing this straight from Sakurai sucks.

Yeah, that's one of the thing that disappointed me with Ultimate, the roster is too safe as there was no wild card newcomers, no unknown Nintendo character getting a boost in popularity because they appeared in smash, like how Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy and Pit got when they appeared.

I am also not a fan that Ultimate only has a pitiful four new stages, with the rest being locked behind the DLC wall.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The quote reads more like the appeal of the game is no longer the crossover gimmick but the inherent gameplay, not that "Lets just shove whoever in."

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai is right. While you could say that Smash started off as an "All Star Nintendo Cast," is has slowly evolved into something much bigger. Snake and Sonic might have started to turn it, but after the Smash 4 DLC and especially with Ultimate, it is safe to say that the series has now become a celebration of all things gaming. It is literally as close to "Video Games the Video Game" as we will possibly get.

And certainly after Joker's reveal, I'm excited to see where things go from here. After all, if we take Reggie's words at face value, we are getting four character that have never been seen in Smash, thus that means all bets are off on figuring out who it could be.

Heihachi or Tekken Rep feels like the only certainty.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed it for you as Diddy Kong is currently the only western playable characters with the other being either spirits or assist trophy. I will never understand why Shovel Knight wasn't a playable character. We could have easily gone without Chorm
King K. Rool and Dark Samus are western created characters as well.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
That's been obvious since the Smash 4 DLC being so 3rd party heavy. Now I'm expecting Smash Ultimate DLC to be entirely 3rd parties. The Nintendo All Stars aspect was one of the things I loved most about Smash so hearing this straight from Sakurai sucks.

Even discounting 3rd Parties, a dozen or so of the Nintendo roster barely counts as All-Star.

Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Roy, Incineroar, Pit, Palutena, Daisy...

There's just so many franchises you can pull characters off before you reach the bottom of the barrel. Isabelle, Ridley and K. Rool were the glaring omissions before Ultimate, and were joined by new superstar Inkling.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Personally I would trade all third party characters for more deep cuts from Nintendo's history. But it's not like third party characters are a deal breaker, so I'll take it.
Focus on Nintendo though, anyway. Thanks.
The question we should be asking isn't "How many Nintendo characters are there left to add", but rather "How many of the remaining Nintendo characters would sell well as DLC (who aren't already Assist Trophies)"? Within those parameters, there aren't a ton of options.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
To be fair, Lucas is a veteran, which puts him well above most other characters in recognizability. And while Persona 5 wasn't a massive seller, it still has a ton of brand awareness. You can't say the same for Golden Sun or The Wonderful 101, both of which are sadly niche in both sales & awareness.
Yeah, series like Golden Sun and TW101 are screwed and I'm not expecting them but then again you have games like Xenoblade 2 and ARMS which are on the Persona 5 ballpark. Potentially new IPs that could be pushed like Splatoon and ARMS (this is more a personal hope). Dragalia Lost it's already getting a lot of downloads and it's revenue will likely make it bigger than even some other known Nintendo IPs.

Either way what is annoying it's this elite attitude that suddenly first party IPs have to climb in order to make it over especially when the series started with characters from Earthbound and F-Zero.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yasssss King!

Smash becoming a gaming celebration vs just a celebration of nintendo. Is one of the best things that has ever happened to the series personally.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even discounting 3rd Parties, a dozen or so of the Nintendo roster barely counts as All-Star.

Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Roy, Incineroar, Pit, Palutena, Daisy...

I know that Era likes to shit on Daisy for some unfathomable reason, but she's absolutely enormously popular, especially with the more casual base.
More people know (and like) Daisy than like half if not two thirds of the roster.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sonic
Metal gear
Mega man
Pacman
Streetfighter
Final fantasy
Bayonetta
Castlevania
Persona
Dragon Quest
Tomb raider
Kingdom hearts
Chrono trigger
King of fighters
Tekken
Soul caliber
Ninja giaden
Dead or alive
Mortal kombat
Yakuza
Shovel knight
Shantae
Undertale
Virtual fighter
Guilty gear
Rayman
Bomberman
Resident evil
Devilmay cry
Ghost and goblins
Monster hunter
Pheonix wright
Darkstalkers
30 breath of fire
Doom
Elder scrolls
League of legends
Warcraft
Fate stay
Overwatch
Crash bandicoot
Spyro
Tony hawk
Tales 40
Halo
God of war
Banjo
Metal slug
Digimon
okami
HatsuneMiku
Idol master
Half life
Silent hill
Minecraft
Fatal fury
No more heroes

All of these 3rd parties should get reps

AzVal

May 7, 2018
When Nintendo previously sold DLC characters like Lucas and Persona 5 sold around 2 million worldwide the barrier of entry isn't that high. If the purpose was to put the most recognizable characters from the top selling games then you would get characters from COD, Fortnite, etc.
But another key factor on whi gets in is that Sakurai doesnt have shit taste, which would put Goku in a though place even if anime/manga chars were a posibility(they are not)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, series like Golden Sun and TW101 are screwed and I'm not expecting them but then again you have games like Xenoblade 2 and ARMS which are on the Persona 5 ballpark. Potentially new IPs that could be pushed like Splatoon and ARMS (this is more a personal hope). Dragalia Lost it's already getting a lot of downloads and it's revenue will likely make it bigger than even some other known Nintendo IPs.

Either way what is annoying it's this elite attitude that suddenly first party IPs have to climb in order to make it over especially when the series started with characters from Earthbound and F-Zero.
The problem is that, as mentioned earlier, any hope for playable ARMS representation in Smash Ultimate already got the kiss of death thanks to Spring Man's Assist Trophy. But you do have a point about Xenoblade 2 & Dragalia Lost, though I do have a few recency concerns about the latter.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Right now it's Nintendo and Sony All Stars. Just need Chief and Steve to make the trifecta complete.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The quote reads more like the appeal of the game is no longer the crossover gimmick but the inherent gameplay, not that "Lets just shove whoever in."

Mostly serves as a rebuke to the attitude of "But you see, the next Smash game needs to be a reboot in a completely new style of game. A traditional fighter, or maybe action-adventure."

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Ya'll can deny it as much as you want, but Master Chief is happening. The Halo music in my head demands it.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I"ve been saying this for years ever since the Smash For DLC that Smash is a video game crossover, and is not a Nintendo one anymore.

Unbelievable people unironically think that this statement somehow means that Goku has a chance. Jennifer Aniston, Scary Spice, Big Wheel from Spiderman, and Bebe's Kids all have as much of a chance as Goku does.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Smash 4's DLC actually wasn't that third party heavy. Of the DLC, the third parties were Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonatte. The rest was Nintendo's first party.

Status
Not open for further replies.