• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People constantly goes like "don't be too excited for the show, you'll be disappointed !!!" when I'm like "yooooo wtf, did you see that new Mario Golf game that was announced at the Direct ?! And Miitopia is back, let's goooooo !!!", you all can't tell me to lower expectations, I'm a nerd for almost anything that Nintendo puts out lmao. (And their Directs during Switch Era all are fucking awesome anyway. The problem is not that their directs aren't too hot, it's that very few, but vocal, people are disappointed and yell if there's no Mario Kart or 3D Mario at any direct)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we all know a lot of people will have wildly unreasonable expectations. That being said, nothing wrong with being enthusiastic for the show. Zelda ports alone are exciting for me.
I don't believe "a lot" of people have wildly unreasonable expectations.

Monolith Soft game
2D Metroid
DK
BotW 2
Other Zelda stuff
SMTV
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
A new IP
A new game from the Mario Kart team

These are all reasonable expectations and have logical reasoning of why they could possibly show now. It's not reasonable to expect everything at once (that's never reasonable anytime for Nintendo with or without Covid).

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The Mario Odyssey trailer is more exciting than anything I've seen from this E3 so far -- and I didn't even like SMO that much! xD

Bobdapeach

Jun 15, 2019
If I had to give grades now:

MS - Solid B+
Ubisoft - C
Square Enix - D-

Nintendo should have a quality Direct.And my 8/10 was for Nintendo's entire E3 presence -- including the likes of Mario & Rabbids 2. Still sitting at an 8/10 right now.
Hey Nate,
Random Q, and maybe you answered this already but in the Nintendo E3 predictions podcast episode which i'm listening to. You're talking about Mario+Rabbids 2 about hoping it to have a mario galaxy take, being able to explore different planets and have galaxy characters. I know in previous podcasts you've given off subtle hints. Was this a hint, or just speculation? Given Ubisofts history with leaks I would assume it was a hint and you were aware of the project but I'm just curious to know.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I need to replay that game. I love that they revealed the hat-tossing mechanic while hiding the major reason it exists.
It was an amazing trailer and like you said they hid Cappy. Then the E3 trailer we see a T-Rex not knowing what was going on only to see Mario's hat on it. Making people go "wtfffff". It was so good and it had the vocals with Pauline returning

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Who's ready to see this tomorrow?

This trailer blew everyone's mind.

I remember people complaining that realistic graphics did not fit Mario's universe, and some levels looked weird because they were like cell shaded instead of realistic, and blah blah blah.

They were not able to see that they were seeing one of the best games of the generation.

And the graphical differences and varieties between different locations of the game make this game even more special.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting off work a little bit early on Tuesday. I get off right when Nintendo's presentation starts lol. I'm only leaving half hour early so I can be home and comfortable to watch.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The list of things Nintendo could show is huge this year. Obviously we're not going to get all of them, but it's pretty simple that, if there's room for quantity and variety, then the odds of people being happy are higher, because Nintendo will tick at least some of the many boxes their disparate, vocal fanbase want ticking. This also guarantees some people will come away disappointed because there's no way Nintendo show absolutely everything ever.

The odds of new Zelda being there are very high, and if there's anything that strikes a chord with those watching E3, it's going to be new Zelda. We also know that Nintendo need to show what else is coming later this year, because it's pretty empty, and in terms of releases, the new financial year shows a notable uptick in the release rate versus the previous year. There's a lot of grounds for quiet confidence, if not wild 'greatest show ever' optimism.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I remember people complaining that realistic graphics did not fit Mario's universe, and some levels looked weird because they were like cell shaded instead of realistic, and blah blah blah.

They were not able to see that they were seeing one of the best games of the generation.

And the graphical differences and varieties between different locations of the game make this game even more special.
I completely agree. I loved the style differences between all the Kingdoms. It showed the difference and uniqueness of each world Mario was traveling too.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I'm getting off work a little bit early on Tuesday. I get off right when Nintendo's presentation starts lol. I'm only leaving half hour early so I can be home and comfortable to watch.

I'm lucky kinda. I had covid last week and was due back to work today but they've have me an extra few days off so I'm not back until Thursday now. I'm so hyped for tomorrow. Like I don't have any expectations. I'm just excited 🎉🎉

Jan 26, 2019
oNYvXwV.jpeg

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Still can't believe that GOTG of all things looked the best to me in S-E's show. God damn.
I'd actually take a Switch version of some kind.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
We do need to remember though, we're in a pandemic. It has hit every part of game development and that's why we saw so much DLC and GaaS in the other conferences. Games will have been pushed to 2022, to 2023 etc. and not be in a workable or visible way. We're going to be seeing the effects of the pandemic for years now

It's nothing short of miraculous that we're getting games still release during this.

I truly believe expectations should be tempered for Nintendo's Direct. Don't expect the huge drop of literally every one of your hope and dreams. Expect DLC of many titles, a couple of trailers for announced titles and maybe a couple of mid-tier surprises.

I'm sure everyone is well aware of the pandemic. We've already seen the effect of it and will continue to feel it for many years on.

But - Nintendo announced Splatoon 3 in February, they really didnt need to announce Splatoon 3 in February. If they wanted to could have ended it with Skyward Sword and saved Splatoon 3 for E3 - so with that in mind, I do think we're in for a pretty big reveal of sort.

With that said - if it's "only a couple of trailers of announced games and a couple of mid-tier surprises" then if we could see anything from BotW2, Bayo 3, Prime 4, Splatoon 3, the Pokemons and a new reveal like Metroid V or SMP2 - then it would still be good.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Hey everyone. Sorry for noob question, but how do you insert pictures? I tied pasting an imgur link in the 'insert picture' field but it didn't work.

Wanna post my bingo.

Sep 8, 2020

I don't think it's scientifically possible that they make a bad Mario game. Even with the weird art that was shown, I was certain the game would be masterpiece. 999 moons later, I can confirm it is, in fact, a pretty good game.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Still can't believe that GOTG of all things looked the best to me in S-E's show. God damn.
I'd actually take a Switch version of some kind.
Yeah, definitely. It might come as a late port, or as a 'Switch Pro New Super Nintendo Switch System' exclusive. On paper, Babylon's Fall, Final Fantasy Origin, and FF Pixel Remaster should be my jam, but the execution of all three seems poor. Got to wonder what Square Enix are thinking. I don't think there are more Balan Wonderworld style complete belly-flops coming from them, but their output seems mixed, to say the least.

At least their Dragon Quest event was more promising, even if there are still question marks over which systems get those games and the release dates for those games.
With that said - if it's "only a couple of trailers of announced games and a couple of mid-tier surprises" then if we could see anything from BotW2, Bayo 3, Prime 4, Splatoon 3, the Pokemons and a new reveal like Metroid V or SMP2 - then it would still be good.
Yeah this is the important point. I don't think we'll see Prime 4 yet, but that still leaves Nintendo with previously-announced, major titles to talk about - Pokemon Legends as well as Zelda, Splatoon 3, and Bayonetta 3, for example. The number of rumoured and potential reveals is also high - not only Metroid or Mario Party, but things like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Donkey Kong, and Kirby are all possible. Smaller franchises like WarioWare and Style Savvy could turn up. More Zelda remasters could turn up. EPD 9's next game could finally show.

We're definitely not going to get all of that, but the odds of there being a few good things are decent.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
People constantly goes like "don't be too excited for the show, you'll be disappointed !!!" when I'm like "yooooo wtf, did you see that new Mario Golf game that was announced at the Direct ?! And Miitopia is back, let's goooooo !!!", you all can't tell me to lower expectations, I'm a nerd for almost anything that Nintendo puts out lmao. (And their Directs during Switch Era all are fucking awesome anyway. The problem is not that their directs aren't too hot, it's that very few, but vocal, people are disappointed and yell if there's no Mario Kart or 3D Mario at any direct)
this is how I feel too. I rarely come out of a direct without my wallet being virtually lighter in advance of 3 or 4 games that I want. I dont expect this will be different.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. Sorry for noob question, but how do you insert pictures? I tied pasting an imgur link in the 'insert picture' field but it didn't work.

Wanna post my bingo.
You don't want the link to the imgur page, but the image itself. Right click on the image (long press on mobile) and hit "copy image URL" or "copy image link" or something to that effect. That's the link you need to insert.

On some browsers you might have to do "open image in new tab", and then copy the link from the top.

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
Nate giving the Direct an 8 makes me afraid BOTW 2 won't be there :P Based on absolutely nothing but a gut feeling :P

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I've been working at home for more than a year, sporadically going into the office - and guess who's got to go in tomorrow so will miss the Direct? :(

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The thing is that I'm rarely disappointed by directs, but I have been let down before. The E3 2015 one was a pretty big disappointment. I'm hyped but I'm also trying to keep expectations in check because of covid.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, definitely. It might come as a late port, or as a 'Switch Pro New Super Nintendo Switch System' exclusive.
Yeah, I'd rather have it running natively on a Pro than only getting a Cloud version or some such. Given that it's also PS4 bound, having it run on Pro shouldn't be a problem, going by what's currently rumoured.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
With no Switch Pro announcement ..I wonder if we might not get many new game announcements?

You have to wonder if they'll save some key software reveals, to show off alongside the new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.